Treasure Options

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Treasure Options
by Miranda Horner

Does it really have to be mundane? Why not liven things up a little by providing odd, but pricey trinkets.

Talk about this article here.

interesting stuff.  But I have a half snarky, half serious question...  Where can I add one of these to my character in the character builder?
That's interesting backbone on to how to showcase treasure and give it a story and corresponding DC. 

I also like the format.  

Name
Fluff                                         Image
Appraisal Value:  X gp

Options
Some possible variant

Lore
Skill (Difficulty DC) giving knowledge on the item of various nature, origins etc..

Exemple:

Vundra's Signet Ring
This old antique gold ring figuring a water-nymph whose elaborated hair tourned around to form the hoop. Some flowers, set with 4 small rose-cut diamonds, adorn the hair.
Appraisal Value:  2,250 gp 

Options 
The Ring rather than be a signet ring, it could be a head of a woman representing Avandra, godess of change and luck and be seen as boon. 

Lore
Perception (easy DC): The ring is tarnished and old and has been made more than a hundread years ago.  The jelwer's mark is a stylized M engraved behind the head.

Streetwise (moderate DC): The ring had a proiminent head that has been seen on some old crypt and mausoleums over at the Cimetery of Last Hope, a very ld family without a doubt. The ring and diamonds has been made and cut by the Maraj Jewelry inc, the famous jeweler.

History (hard DC): The ring belonged to the Vundra, a wealthy family of Fallcrest determined by it's woman's head crest, that was used on their signet ring. Many centuries old, the line extincted in the early 13th when a fire decimated their estate. 

Dungeering or Nature (hard DC; trained only): The carved head could be used to insert in some fashioned hole to access vault, chamber, strongbox, secret passages as the family was fond of these intricate hidden practices...  

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

now heres an article that i dont mind doesnt have a pdf
The setting, treasure, NPCs, etc. are all tools to represent your adventure in layers, where any item, buidling, or creature can lend clues to the story. I have used similar treasure in the past, to add subtle clues to the story. What this provides are multiple entry points into the adventure (adventure hooks). This is great for a sandbox setting where you want to keeps things more freeform, but at the same time build in a safety net, to gently push the characters in the right direction. The hard part is not to advertise an item too much as the DM, and actually let the players stumble forward and figure things out on their own.

In one of my adventures the characters found pieces of a meteor that had no description or backstory, beyong being peculiar pieces of rock. But if a piece it placed on a level surface, it acts like a compass to point back to where the main meteor crator is located. Therefore, you can make these clues or item backstories as simple or complex as you like. But mix it up, so at any given time the characters have to make an effort to figure things out, or it could just be a mundane item of no interest ...
I think this kind of thing was also covered in the Draconomicon 1.

It might be a little cumbersome to attach skill checks to a bunch of items in a treasure horde, but maybe using passive checks you could just give out additional flavor? 
Is there a good source here or online where I can put it the party's level and it auto generates the loot & rewards?
interesting stuff.  But I have a half snarky, half serious question...  Where can I add one of these to my character in the character builder?

Wouldn't the easiest way be to simply list it as "gold"?

And then simply have a detailed description of the unnique items (and their $ value) written up on a piece of paper, a file, etc?
Afterall, if you're already lugging a laptop etc around to play, surely you can manage at worst an extra sheet or two of paper. 

OR....
You can look at your CB, lament that there's no allotted space for cool/descriptive items, & despair of ever getting any.
Those willing to do a tiny degree of extra writing/typing?  They get cool stuff.  You?  All you get are #s.
Is there a good source here or online where I can put it the party's level and it auto generates the loot & rewards?

I used quite a few things from this website for a while, SacrificialLamb!

www.asmor.com/

Go to the scripts and programs section         

In the old builder, rename a Ki Focus (0 cost and 0 weight). I think you could even add the descriptions in though there will be a lot of white space in the card.

Wouldn't the easiest way be to simply list it as "gold"?

And then simply have a detailed description of the unnique items (and their $ value) written up on a piece of paper, a file, etc?
Afterall, if you're already lugging a laptop etc around to play, surely you can manage at worst an extra sheet or two of paper. 

OR....
You can look at your CB, lament that there's no allotted space for cool/descriptive items, & despair of ever getting any.
Those willing to do a tiny degree of extra writing/typing?  They get cool stuff.  You?  All you get are #s.

If they are going to advocate personalized custom content, it would be nice if they actually supported it with their Character Builder product. Paper works just fine too though. Personally I love adding unique items to my game, but my players, because they are reliant on the CB don't want to use them. Yes, they are too lazy to get an extra piece of paper and keep track of it from week to week.