A couple questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have a Ghostly Prison in play and my opponent attacks me with a Preeminent Captain (and pays 2 mana), if he puts an Elite Vanguard into play tapped and attacking me, does he have to pay an additional 2 mana for the Vanguard to be able to attack me, or no?

If I play The Mimeoplasm and exile a Blighted Agent to copy it (and some other creature for the +1/+1 counters), and my opponent casts an Austere Command, would he have to choose to destroy all creatures with CMC 3 or less or all creatures with CMC 4 or greater in order to destroy my The Mimeoplasm?

If I am playing a Zur the Enchanter Commander deck, and I cast him from the Command Zone for the 2nd time in a game and have a Dragon Wings in my graveyard, would the Dragon Wings return from the graveyard attached to Zur?

Thanks in advance for your replies! 
1 No, the Elite Vanguard was not declared as an attacker.

2 CMC 3 or less,  casting cost (converted mana cost) is a copieable value.

3. No, the additional cost does not change the CMC.
MTG Rules Advisor
1) No. If a creature is put onto the battlefield "attacking", it never "attacked" and is exempt from any "can't attack" restrictions.

2) 3 or less. Mana cost is copyable attribute.

3) No - CMC does not include additional costs like the commander recasting penalty.
The cost for Ghostly Prison has to be paid when a creature is declared as attacker in the declare attackers step. The Elite Vanguard was never declared as attacker even though it is an attacking creature, so your opponent does not have to pay for it.

The Mimeoplasm copies all copiable values of the card which includes the mana cost, so its converted mana cost as a copy of Blighted Agent is 2. Your opponent therefore has to choose "3 or less" for his command.

The Mana cost of a card never changes no matter what you pay for it. Zur the Enchanter will always have a manacost of , so his converted mana cost is 4. Always. Your Dragon Wings will not trigger.
If I have a Ghostly Prison in play and my opponent attacks me with a Preeminent Captain (and pays 2 mana), if he puts an Elite Vanguard into play tapped and attacking me, does he have to pay an additional 2 mana for the Vanguard to be able to attack me, or no?

If I play The Mimeoplasm and exile a Blighted Agent to copy it (and some other creature for the +1/+1 counters), and my opponent casts an Austere Command, would he have to choose to destroy all creatures with CMC 3 or less or all creatures with CMC 4 or greater in order to destroy my The Mimeoplasm?

If I am playing a Zur the Enchanter Commander deck, and I cast him from the Command Zone for the 2nd time in a game and have a Dragon Wings in my graveyard, would the Dragon Wings return from the graveyard attached to Zur?

Thanks in advance for your replies! 

1. Ghostly Prison creates a restriction on declaring attackers; you cannot declare attackers unless you pay 2 mana for each attacker you are declaring. However, upon resolution of Preeminent Captain's ability, you aren't declaring an attacker, you're simply putting a creature already attacking on the battlefield. As such, you won't have to pay an extra 2 mana for it.

2. One of the copiable characteristics of copy cards and effects is CMC (converted mana cost). Mimeoplasm will copy the CMC of Blighted Angel (for most intents and purposes it looks exactly like a Blighted Angel on the battlefield with some +1/+1 counters on it). As such, your opponent would have to choose '3 or less' on Austere Command to destroy it.

3. No - even if the amount you paid to cast Zur was more than 4, his CMC is still 4. As such, he does not meet the criteria required to trigger Dragon Wings.

I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Sign In to post comments