Design & Development - Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Design & Development
Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

by Stephen Radney-MacFarland

Tamoachan was a grinder, where poison gas sapped your strength while frustrating traps challenged the edge of your wits and strange creatures gnawed out your insides.

Talk about this article here.

this was one of my favorite adventures as a youth, mainly for how different it was from others of it's time. i just have to hope my flgs owner gets a copy for me and doesnt keep it for himself.
Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)
The potential to loose a healing surge every 5 minutes... curious how they deal with the limited number of short rests, and not making the fights either too easy or turn into grinds. Maybe they added some kind of mechanic for short rests without actually resting?
infuriating article bc so few dnd players will actually be able to access the adventure. ill have to buy it on ebay when these dms they think they are 'rewarding' are selling it five minutes after scanning it. meanwhile i can go buy a pack of fortune cards

thanks a heap wizards
Dear Wizards, i will give you money if you give me cool stuff in return. 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Dear Wizards, i will give you money if you give me cool stuff in return. 

I have disposable income as well and I feel that i'm not giving it to Wizards fast enough! Please let me buy these adventures.
infuriating article bc so few dnd players will actually be able to access the adventure.

Yeah, kind of odd choice. Seriously, if you're putting that much work into an adventure, put it in the DDI. We're paying for it.

Or, you know, sell it to us separately. I'd really like to give WOTC more money than Paizo/Pathfinder, but they just arent selling anything. And no, fortune cards dont count.
In my area, no encounter locations show up in their location finder map. And i live in a metropolitan area. Why wouldn't WotC want to make money by selling this and other things is beyond me.
I hate you Stephen Radney-MacFarland ! 

Your giving insight on the redesign of a mythic adventure that i will unfortunatly never see because it won't be sold and i can't DM D&D Encounters due to working schedule.

So i know it's there coming. I know it will be awesome. And i know i will not get my little chubby fingers on it. 

You're really killing me bro.  

Ok, back to seriousness here, thanks for the insight. I like that the spirit and deadliness of the adventure was preserved. I wonder how it will fall within the 4E Ruleset system.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I initially thought this module was The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. But the Hidden Shrine was pretty good too.

You may know ALL the rules, but I KNOW the Spirit of the Game.

PLEASE please please please PLEASE release this as any of the following:

• A free download on the regular site

• A DDI subscriber-only download

• A paid download on the regular site

• A paid download for DDI subscribers

• A full-on print release for sale just like any other product.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Im going to keep submitting this idea to them as rule of three and customer service questions till we get some sort of response, its already done,sell it to me!

I live in the middle of nowhere, and an RPG wasteland to boot, so there is zero chance I get any of this stuff unless I ebay it from some malcontent who stole it from DMs who would actually use it. 

I would say a Print release for sale only to DDI subscribers... Might make me subscribe again.  

ebay here i come. thanks wizards!
Anyone has seen Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan adventure?

Seems a forgotten project
I got a copy.  It's not for sale.  But it's absolutely awesome.
rub it in
It is really very awesome...

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

its alright, ill find it. but in the future hopefully wizards realize not everyones game stores run dnd, some gamestores hate 4e with a passion. they could have made some money on this, as it is ill get it another way, just like the pax adventure
Bumping the request to release this to DDI users. Content has been pretty lean lately, and adventures are generally considered 4th edition's weak spot. Why put so much work into something so few will get to use?
I don't see the business sense in this either. Surely a timed release schedule is better. Getting it 6 months before its available for sale would be reward enough. They could retain exclusivity by having the print run on the cover.
D&D is like religion. People focus far too much on the differences rather than the similarities.
Design & Development
Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

by Stephen Radney-MacFarland

Tamoachan was a grinder, where poison gas sapped your strength while frustrating traps challenged the edge of your wits and strange creatures gnawed out your insides.

Talk about this article here.

I started running this 4e version of Tamoachan last night with friends on the Virtual Table on the Wizards site and, while they bypass one danger easily at first, they run headlong into a tangle of claws the next moment!  They're grumbling now about the gas and the brutal monsters (who they think must have been The Only Boss), and I'm seriously wondering how they'll survive..., after only the second room!

Does any DM out there have favorite ways to rescue their PCs when they have a string of bad luck?

This poison gas is certainly scary.  I'm trying to figure out: at times there are in-module notes to have PCs make saving throws against the gas, but the instructions at the start are to have them roll every 5 minutes...  Are we just guesstimating those 5 minute intervals?