7/13/2011 BoaB: "Fresher Meat"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
How did he draw lightning bolt when he revealed an emrakul's hatcher?
Is there a reason for using arbor elves over birds of paradise? Birds seems like the better choice to me, since it can produce red mana, and doesn't require a forest in order to work. I don't see the 1 power difference to be much difference, plus it has evasion, while arbor elves doesn't.
I have a deck like that, only i rely more on the beastmaster ascension, and lately i've been thinking in adding the two garruks i own. What i find hard to make is the sideboard...

The furnace celebration is nice, and almost no one sees it coming...
Is there a reason for using arbor elves over birds of paradise? Birds seems like the better choice to me, since it can produce red mana, and doesn't require a forest in order to work. I don't see the 1 power difference to be much difference, plus it has evasion, while arbor elves doesn't.

I agree...I figured it was for budget reasons, except Raging Ravine is more expensive than BoPs anyway.
How did he draw lightning bolt when he revealed an emrakul's hatcher?

Yeah, not to mention that he only has bolts in his sideboard and not in his main deck although he does mention adding the "last two copies of lightning bolt" when sideboarding against red decks. Which to me suggests he is running 4 copies instead of 2 in his 75. My guess is he tinkered with the deck lists during his games and just gave us a deck list/his final deck list while playing with a different list during the games. Also since these kind of mistakes seem to show up frequently, I get the feeling he is writing these afterwards, without making notes during the games, hence the mistakes every now and then.
Funny enough, when I saw Warstorm Surge, Fresh Meat was one of the first things I thought of.

This seems like it's  areally fun deak to fool around with.  I have almost all the pieces except the Fresh Meats, which are cheap.  Maybe I'll actually build one fo these things for once.
did i miss the joke where emrakul's hatcher and spawning breath can be in a mono-green deck?
@Uhhsam did you even reed the article, or even just look at the lands?
@Greg9381 / @Ohgodspiders Raging Ravine is a much better choice here, it is an alternate win condition and will do more damage than Birds will... and also the evasion doesn't matter because if your going to be casting an Overrun you should be winning with it.
@Uhhsam did you even reed the article, or even just look at the lands?

I believe Uhhsam is referring to the title of the decklist, which mistakenly reads "Mono-Green Fresh Meat".

@Greg9381 / @Ohgodspiders Raging Ravine is a much better choice here, it is an alternate win condition and will do more damage than Birds will...

The question Greg9381 and Ohgodspiders raise is not Birds of Paradise versus Raging Ravine, it's Birds of Paradise versus Arbor Elf.
Love this deck idea, awesome article. This is the only Magic Mothership article I consistently read on a weekly basis. p.s. Any room for Brood Birthing? Seems like a solid card for this deck.

EDIT: Plus, the three Eldrazi Spawn tokens look SUPER awesome, and having a deck where I can actually use them is a big bonus for me haha. 

@Greg9381 / @Ohgodspiders Raging Ravine is a much better choice here, it is an alternate win condition and will do more damage than Birds will...

The question Greg9381 and Ohgodspiders raise is not Birds of Paradise versus Raging Ravine, it's Birds of Paradise versus Arbor Elf.
@orcishartillery 

My mistake, then i completely agree, since there is a decreased number of forests it won't always be able to work, and considering that Overrun needs triple Green but there's also red so the flexibility helps.

What about finding a space for Chandra, the Firebrand? Seems to me her second ability, "-2: When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy." could prove useful here too, with the Overrun and the Frash Meat.

Maybe a 1-of?

This deck has potential. I have a deck now that splashes the fresh meat combo in a mass polymorph shell, and it's pretty easy on the budget. You can find it here: magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=... The only issue is fast aggro, I.E. red and Kuldotha Red. Also, the deck is very resistant  to board sweeps. The only thing I'd change is add overrun.
Love this deck idea, awesome article. This is the only Magic Mothership article I consistently read on a weekly basis. p.s. Any room for Brood Birthing? Seems like a solid card for this deck.

EDIT: Plus, the three Eldrazi Spawn tokens look SUPER awesome, and having a deck where I can actually use them is a big bonus for me haha. 

Brood Birthing adds to an already cluttered 2 mana slot.  At 2 mana (+birds or elves), you can be leveling up the Jorga, casting nest invaiders, naturalize (not on the list but should), Beast Within (not on the list but should), awakening zone... etc. 
Good thinking though.  It might be worth playtesting...

I had the fortune of opening 3 Fresh Meats when I first bought the New Phyrexia Packs and sat there thinking "what the heck am I going to do with this".   This guys' first article  was a gift as I had most of the eldrazi stuff and I have played alot with it lately. That deck is Mono-Green

Overrun is nice but I personally like Triumph of the Hordes(gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....) better.  Since you only need 10 poison to win, you can assume that 1 poison approximately = 2 regular damage(I said approximately).  Taking one 3/3 Beast, +1/+1 & Poison & Trample is 4 poison or roughly = 8 regular damage.  Using Overun with the same 3/3 Beast, +3/+3 & Trample = 6 regular damage.  That's just the math, we are not even mentioning that you cannot lifegain away from poison and the Triumph costs 1 less.  Granted, I'm speaking about against a creatureless opponent but unless they got a Titan, 4 trample poison is enough to roll over most creatures.

Another awesome addition if you have it, is the original Garruk Wildspeaker (gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....)  After 1 activation, Garruk becomes his own Overrun and you don't need to spend the mana on the spell that turn.  Once I was even able to activate Garruk and cast Triumph of the Hordes on all my 3/3s!  7/7 poison tramplers!  I put 2 or 3 in my deck.

While it is hard for a green player to have control,  I mainboarded in 3 copies of Beast Within(gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....), 2 of Naturalize.  Beast Within is a "lessers of 2 evils" card.  A 3/3 is bad but not as bad as a Titan.  A 3/3 is annoying but not as annoying as getting hit with a Sword, or a Planeswalker, or a Spellskite, or a Valukut (target permenant).  In a pinch, I've used it on my own lands for defensive purposes. Naturalize goes without saying what it does but I often sideboard it out. 

Speaking of Sideboard, M12 has bolstered my forces with Acidic Slime and Hunter's Insight.  The Acidic Slime at the least is an awesome way of blowing out an opponent if they are getting mana screwed and otherwize a nice way to get around duress and inquision if black gets your beast within and/or naturalize.  The Hunter's Insight is nice because it one of the few card draws in Standard Mono-Green.  I found myself many times with a full field and an empty hand so I think this will help it.  However both of these cards will usually sit as 2 ofs in my sideboard along with 2 naturalize, 2 Hand of Emrakuls, a playset of Plummet, 1 Ulamog and 2 wildcard spots. 

Finally, to the matter at hand.  Do I think that red deserves a spot in this deck?  Maybe. Point burn can help with the lightning bolts and spawing breath.  Emracul's Hatchling is awesome too.  I might as well throw in some Splinter Twins on the creatures and go for crazy numbers of tokens  like my original Rise of the Eldrazi era deck. 
However, I feel that this deck is all about building an army and attacking as quickly as possible.  You don't carefully manuever around the battlefield with burn, you "over"run staight at their face or die trying.  Many of the times I've played this deck, I've won at single digit life. 
By all means though, try adding Red and see how it does.  I'd be interested to hear more reports on it's effectivness. 

As for me, I will keeping the Meat Fresh at my FNM until that faithful day in October...

Sign In to post comments