Healing Surge Value Optimization

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, good people of the boards!

Reading the "Subversive Word" Class feature from the unearthed arcana article, I started thinking
which metods of increasing healing surge value I can have to optimize it...
I know that besides dragonborn and dwarven durability, others ways must exist...

Ideas?

Thanks in advance! 
Mul Warden/MC Fighter/Dreadnought/Dragonheart

Dwarven Durability
Toughness
Dauntless Champion's Ring/Armor of Durability +6
Brooch of Vitality
Swift Recovery

There. Maximum possible healing surge value. IIRC it adds up to a surge value of about 100 at 30th.
There are a few ways I know off the top of my head. If you took the theme Wasteland Nomad then you qualify for the PP Sand Reaver, which allows you to add your primary ability mod to your surge value. Also there is a heroic tier feat that gives +3/4/5 to surge value, though I'm forgetting the name. Dragonheart (ED) has a level 30 feature that gives you +10 to your surge value also, though that is pretty abnormal for any practical optimization.
A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
A Belt of Vigor gets you 1/2/3 Value.
Mul Warden/MC Fighter/Dreadnought/Dragonheart

Dwarven Durability
Toughness
Dauntless Champion's Ring/Armor of Durability +6
Brooch of Vitality
Swift Recovery

There. Maximum possible healing surge value. IIRC it adds up to a surge value of about 100 at 30th

You forgot Horizon Walker PP (+Wis mod).

And of course, increasing your total HP. (Toughness, warden, Con).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Hi, people! Remember one thing... the idea is to optimize HS value to use subversive word, so you must be a cleric!

Thanks! 
Sivis Truenamer gives Cha or Int mod to your surge value, which would be a bit more in line with Cleric stats.

Where is the "Subversive Word" from? I was poking around and didn't see it anywhere.
It was from the Unearthed Arcana article "Strange Gods". Dragon 386, if I'm not mistaken. 
basicaly you trade cleric's "Healing word" for "subversive word"..., that once for encounter, as minor,
you trade a healing surge for auto-damage equal to your healing surge value against one target in burst 5.
You can use it twice per encounter on level 16. 
A cleric will have a significantly lower surge value ceiling, but can use most of what has been said. Dwarf cleric with STR+CON primary with battle cleric's lore and CHA secondary. Swift Recovery, Dwarven Durability, Armor of Durability, Sand Reader PP, Toughness, Amulet of Vigor OR brooch of vitality, Dragonheart ED. Surge value should end up around 80 or so.
Warpriest and zealot builds already have con as their secondary stat.
Dragonborn +con to surge value
Combat veteran (PP warlord) lvl 11 feature +con
Reincarnate champion (ED any primal) lvl 21 become a dwarf and take dwarven durability for +con

On a warden all 3 can be easily combined, but on a cleric at most 2 of the 3 can be done.

Dragonborn or dwarf cleric/Combat veteran/dragonheart could be done though.
Ring of the Fallen is one of my Con-lock (Infernal + SK) / Warlord's prize possessions.

Property: When you use your second wind, you regain additional hit points equal to your Constitution modifier. In addition, you regain additional hit points equal to your Constitution modifier for each healing surge you spend at the end of a short rest.

Also has a daily power that gives a massive boost to the entire party's healing surges during a single short rest.
dragonborn adds con mod as well.
Belt of Mountain Endurance adds 5.
Ring of the Fallen is one of my Con-lock (Infernal + SK) / Warlord's prize possessions.

Property: When you use your second wind, you regain additional hit points equal to your Constitution modifier. In addition, you regain additional hit points equal to your Constitution modifier for each healing surge you spend at the end of a short rest.

Also has a daily power that gives a massive boost to the entire party's healing surges during a single short rest.

Those don't actually address the OP's question, though, since they don't affect your surge value and thus don't affect the class feature in question.
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 30
Mul, Cleric, Sand Reaver, Dragonheart
Cleric: Subversive Word
Born of Two Races: Born of Two Races (Dwarf)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 28, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 42 Fort: 40 Reflex: 32 Will: 37
HP: 220 Surges: 22 Surge Value: 94

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +20, Endurance +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Arcana +15, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +16, History +15, Insight +16, Intimidate +17, Nature +16, Perception +16, Stealth +15, Streetwise +19, Thievery +15, Athletics +21

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Resourceful Leader
Level 2: Swift Recovery
Level 4: Toughness
Level 6: Durable
Level 8: Mul's Stamina
Level 11: Dwarven Durability
Level 21: Inexhaustible Resources
Level 22: Epic Recovery
Level 24: Stoneheart Warrior

POWERS

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Brooch of Vitality +6, Pitmail Armor of Durability +6
RITUALS
Gentle Repose
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Surge value 94, plus twice per encounter as a free action you can second wind without spending a surge and gaining 94 temp hp, to make up for the surges you are burning on enemies. Minor action to automatically deal an average of 101 damage to an enemy twice per encounter is pretty nice. With epic bracers of zeal you can even dump those temps into damage too.
Is it worth using a cincture of vivacity and the bracers of zeal and just optimizing healing word instead of raw surge value?

ie - can you get a healing word up to more than twice what the subversive word would give? (of course the party could just have two sets of belts/bracers...)
Is it worth using a cincture of vivacity and the bracers of zeal and just optimizing healing word instead of raw surge value?

ie - can you get a healing word up to more than twice what the subversive word would give? (of course the party could just have two sets of belts/bracers...)

Well, depending on what you are optimizing for, in my build you get to use the two subversive words AND Bracers of Zeal for surge value extra damage, since you gain surge value in temp hp from your second wind. Obviously you will want Battle Cleric's Lore for the Scale and shield bonus too. So throwing out auto matic 200 damage per encounter, and then an extra ~100 if you hit with an attack while you have those temps. Take a few of the encounter heal utilities so you still have some healing ability.
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 30
Mul, Cleric, Sand Reaver, Dragonheart
Cleric: Subversive Word
Born of Two Races: Born of Two Races (Dwarf)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 28, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 42 Fort: 40 Reflex: 32 Will: 37
HP: 220 Surges: 22 Surge Value: 94

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +20, Endurance +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Arcana +15, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +16, History +15, Insight +16, Intimidate +17, Nature +16, Perception +16, Stealth +15, Streetwise +19, Thievery +15, Athletics +21

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Resourceful Leader
Level 2: Swift Recovery
Level 4: Toughness
Level 6: Durable
Level 8: Mul's Stamina
Level 11: Dwarven Durability
Level 21: Inexhaustible Resources
Level 22: Epic Recovery
Level 24: Stoneheart Warrior

POWERS

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Brooch of Vitality +6, Pitmail Armor of Durability +6
RITUALS
Gentle Repose
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Surge value 94, plus twice per encounter as a free action you can second wind without spending a surge and gaining 94 temp hp, to make up for the surges you are burning on enemies. Minor action to automatically deal an average of 101 damage to an enemy twice per encounter is pretty nice. With epic bracers of zeal you can even dump those temps into damage too.

Thank you, sir!
I guess this is exactly the thing I was looking for!

Battlescarred Champion Boon gives +1 item bonus/tier.

Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Sign In to post comments