7/12/2011 SF: "The Boss Five From 12"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
When I finished reading the part of this article about Adaptive Automaton, it just didn't seem that interesting. I mean, it's a generic lord. Useful as lord card 5-8, sure, but that's all. People seem to think it enables tribes that are now lordless, but does it really? The Jellyfish tribe is interesting purely because it's so small (7 total) and stronger than it looks. So how many tribes are worth building around (that is, have enough cards printed in them that it's possible, and are powerful enough to be worth considering), need lords (that is, for tribes of massive fatties like Demons and Leviathans, an additional +1/+1 is wasted), and don't already have them? Centaurs, Drakes and Insects, maybe... Orcs and Dwarves aren't significant in Magic, but I guess someone might want to build a deck around them as a nod to some other fantasy world...

And then I realized there is at least one tribe that meets all the above: Humans. As a bonus, they exist in all five colors. Wizards has avoided making a human lord because they felt it wouldn't feel enough like "magic" or something, so it's ironic that humans have a robot lord.
it's ironic that humans have a robot lord.

WHAT IS I-RON-IC ABOUT THIS FACT, HU-MON
Don't stop me now!

HUGE props to the Shaun of the Dead reference.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
Don't stop me now!

HUGE props to the Shaun of the Dead reference.

That sounds like a Queen song, too?
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
a queen song that featured heavily in shaun of the dead, a film about zombies.

also, admitting a mancrush on adam for making a 5-color ally deck, although i think it might greatly benefit by changing from singleton to picking out the juicier ones and playing 2 of each, then including doubling chant for the math nightmare of plopping down a handful of allies at once, which would pretty much always be deadly with hagra diabolist in play.

it's ironic that humans have a robot lord.

WHAT IS I-RON-IC ABOUT THIS FACT, HU-MON

The fact that robots are made of iron?

Adaptive Automaton could also function as simply a cheap member of an otherwise expensive tribe, along with changelings.  The flavor is probably too off for angels, but maybe as a 3-CC giant?  Or as the glue to hold together a deck of mono-Green unicorns.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
"The Boss Five From 12"?  When did it become correct to use the word "boss" as an adjective in this manner?