Survey: Do any of your characters have kids?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
It used to be back in 1E that your character would get old pretty quick. You had to train between levels and had to rest 1 day per hit point without magical healing. So long term role-play came into being, with characters having property and raising kids and operating businesses and such.

I was curious if this is still happening? Do todays 4E players have their characters get married, and/or have kids?

You may know ALL the rules, but I KNOW the Spirit of the Game.

Not at the moment that they know of...

One woman is pregnant cuz of one of the PCs though. But the PC doesn't know. Teehee! :P

And I will probably have a **** claim one of the PCs is her son's father or something in that direction. Whether it's true or not would probably not be known.
Get your Microsoft Word Monster Statistics Block Template here! My Campaign

My warlock was impregnated by her pact patron as part of the pact contract, which she views as a marriage ceremony. After the birth of her child, it was taken by the pact patron and she hasn't seen it since...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

No.  Not something I'm interested in dealing with in a game.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I don't track these things; doesn't captivate me.

My warlock was impregnated by her pact patron as part of the pact contract, which she views as a marriage ceremony. After the birth of her child, it was taken by the pact patron and she hasn't seen it since...

That is some Lifetime movie craziness...

Danny

Yup. One of my old characters had two children before she died, and I've brought them back as NPCs. One of my friends' characters also had two children (one adopted), and I'm actually playing as one of them in a campaign right now.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Cool. So the extending of character family lines is still going on in places. Smile

You may know ALL the rules, but I KNOW the Spirit of the Game.

That is some Lifetime movie craziness...

Pfft. You don't even know the part about how Mistress Malachaiah Hartsworn comes from an isolated village of hereditary warlocks who worship their demon pact patron as a god, and blew her political-marriage husband out a second-story window when he objected to their Dark Lord siring a child on her. Or how she's recently discovered the possibility that her creepy demon-worshipping people might actually be a long-lost group of heretical Pelorites that disappeared a thousand years ago, or how the story of her people is based on numerous groups of people and incidents in real-life early American history, from the Puritans and the Salem witch trials to the Mormons and the Donner party (and the flavor of it is distinctly drawn from movies like Children of the Corn, Salem's Lot and stories like The Lottery)...
Or that the original pact patron of the village was kiled by enemies centuries ago, and that there have been eleven others who've pretended to be He Who Walks Behind The Trees since then - the last was the being who made the personal pact with Malachaiah, who was killed itself by whoever it was going to sell the child to... So now the pact contracts of both Malachaiah and her people now lie forgotten and ownerless on top of a big stack of other contracts on a table full of big piles of contracts, in a room full of tables, in a corridor full of rooms, in a wing full of corridors in some dusty long-forgotten basement of one of Asmodeus' palaces somewhere in the Abyss...

(Paging Jerry Springer... Paging Mr. Springer....)
Tongue outTongue outTongue out

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Of all the characters I've played, only my most recent character has kids. From two different women, never married either of them. In a Dark Sun campaign. From time to time he sends money off to each of them to help them take care of the kids, but as a traveling trader (and spy) he rarely visits them personally.

I mostly did this the display how warped his worldview is and priorities are, not because I actually wanted him to be a family man. Most of the time, I think a real family and regular responsibilities would be a distraction from the adventure. Or worse, a target for a DM sensing an opportunity for drama.
An old Changeling paladin I had impregnated a tavern wench/resistance fighter...tho when the game ended he was pretty sure she was dead.

My first character ever, a changeling ranger, has made numerous cameo's in other games I've played in as due to a combination of immortality and vehicle capable of traveling thru the planes of existence he has begun the line of every changeling I've played, except for the afore mentioned paladin. One of those descendants has 2 kids and a wife, tho he avoids them like the plague due to the unnatural interests his star pact patron has with them.
Does having an abortion in the backstory count?

How about a miscarriage, with a permanent illusion on the crib of an alive baby. Once in a while the baby dies and gets buried only to be returned as an illusion.

Either of those count?
That which does not kill me, makes me stranger.
A recent PC of mine who became an NPC has a wife and child. But I mostly use those as plot devices to help move the story forward or step up urgency if the players drift off too far. Not the first time I've had PC's with family, but I find it's usually best to keep them in the background.
One of the party members in my game is pregnant.  But we mostly decided that, and use it, as a joke. 
Not D&D, but a character of mine in a Star Wars game had two children.  They never really came up, though, because the game didn't last long.  Though I did play her daughter in a spin-off game taking place later on, so I guess it did.

In another Star Wars game, I played the daughter of a character of mine in a Dawn of Defiance game I was playing.  His game lasted longer than the one I played his daughter in, and it was near the end...
In one game we had to convince a anchient dragon to help us break open a abandoned dwarven outpost so we could get the recipe for making a golem. The Dragon demanded 25'000 gold pieces for the job, our party of four being poor as dirt i decided to improvise and offerd the dragon sexual favors instead.

After a very akward conversation later the job was done and we had a dragon to bust open the door. Later in the game I learned the Dragon had a half bullywug  half Dragon child.
Cool. So the extending of character family lines is still going on in places.

Yup. In most games, family isn't something that's very fun to deal with when it comes to PCs, especially not kids, but in particular types of very serious and long-running games, it just becomes a natural part of the story. I may be able to play through a year of a character's life without bringing up their family at all, but I just can't do that when I'm playing through decades of a character's life.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Several of my characters have children.

Most notable among them:

(2nd edition) One was born a mul (half-dwarf/half-human (amazon).  Through the course of the game (and about 12 real life years ago), she was polymorphed (willingly) into a flind (mostly like a gnoll) and joined them.  These particular creatures were in the midst of a great war with the drow (during the course of which they had been pushed to the surface world -in the middle of the arctic).  My character's current sheet lists her class as "breeder" and "fighter" as a hobby.  She has 7 children.  Two are twins who appear human (Shortly after conception, Sheuen found herself on a minor plane of Negativity, fighting a lich, while poisoned, diseased & hosting a whole multitude of magical maladies.  She ended up using her soggy handkerchief as a pretty effective weapon at one point.  One twin, a girl, is rather ugly and angry, and psionic.  The other twin, a boy, is an "all 18's" NPC.  In a secondary campaign, he's responsible for an all-night bender that gave three other players their characters, a half-orc, a half-flind and a half-... eskimo).

(3.5 edition) My fire genasi monk had a long career spent mucking out the Temple of Elemental Evil.  She met a half-orc/half-(white) dragon barbarian and converted him to the monk side.  Off camera (ie, after we retired the characters), they seemed to have had a night of partying all too hard and the result was a whiny dragonblooded paladin boy.  Chrysomerax tries sooo hard to be a superhero, but the dice gods keep him in the realm of comic relief.

A big chunk of my LFR characters consist of a dragonborn husband and wife and several of their seven children (one's a Gnoll that was adopted, and there's an additional Gnoll that the daughter took in as a 'pet'). Some of them are NPCs I use in My Realms, including a few that started as PCs but I didn't have time to play. The pet Gnoll, Loyalty, is currently pregnant with the adopted Gnoll's (Gluttony) children, which the daughter (Lust) takes credit for. And she does deserve some credit for buying a pair of belts of gender changing and being far too reckless with their use.

My current Monk technically has a child, though she won't be born for quite some time yet.  Past characters quite often end up with children, partly because several of the women I play with have a tendency to roll percentile dice and come up with very low numbers...  makes me wonder about that sometimes...
To err is human. To fail a Fear save is unforgivable! IMAGE(http://statcdn.worldoftanks.com/comcom_v2/uploads/signatures/wotuserbar04.jpg)
I had one elven bard once who had already buried his human wife and half-elf son in his life... Troubled character he was.
In about two weeks I'll be starting a Paragon-Tier game, playing a Dusk Elf Druid with a family from a previous life.  In his youth, he took an unplanned break from being a Gloaming Guardian to marry a Human woman.  After a long and happy marriage and two children, his wife died of natural causes, so he returned to an adventuring lifestyle.

His kids are both adults, and I rolled their current professions randomly, and one of them ended up being an adventuring class.  While they probably won't need him watching out for them, he'll keep in touch with them, and keeps reflavored Raven Quill tokens attuned to each of them.  The fact that he's already raised two kids and lost a wife will affect his personality, making him more protective of those who earn his trust, especially if they're of a shorter-lived race.  The DM for the game is very creative when it comes to incorporating backstories, so I'm hoping that those relationships will affect the story at some point.
My favorite LFR caharacter is the Great Grandson of one of my favorite FR characters.
Sure I do! A good family and reason to come back alive keeps some of them going.  Heck I've got and OLD PC with grandchildren!
Preferences... Not where they should be. Asking someone if they're Trolling you is in violation of section 3 of the Code of Conduct.
Just about all of the PCs in the game I'm running have started to breed.

We started almost two years ago, and are playing through the published modules (H1: Keep on the Shadowfell through to E3: The Prince of Undeath).  They're currently in P3: Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress, and due to several years' "downtime" between modules, the characters have now been campaigning with each other for almost ten years.

The happy-go-lucky half-elf rogue has settled down, gotten married, and now has three kids (two are his, one is a stepchild). 

The brooding elf ranger took a mate and has a young daughter now.

The two followers of Pelor, one cleric, one paladin, both fell in love with and both married the NPC eladrin mage (hey -- it's a fantasy. Why the hell not?).  And she is currently pregnant.

There is already talk of taking up one or more of the current PC's kids to start a new game when they hit 30th level and retire.
   Let's see...  About my first long term PC married [and neglected-I never even named her] the daughter of a stud, and had 2 kids who got brief play.
   Another got a sex change due to a miscast raise dead and married another of my PCs.  No kids that I recall.
   Another married a demon. 
   Another was going to marry another PC, but the other player vanished.

But these were in a game where the DM could rule on points.  It somehow has seemed different in Living games and those characters have had to sleep alone.
    Now I think I will change that and when my bard finishes helping the rescue in the current Encounters, some of the local lasses will feel he needs a reward, and he will have to figure out what to do about a son and a daughter.

But the living games could benefit from some guidelines on the subject.
Another was going to marry another PC, but the other player vanished.

Some people just have a hard time making that sort of commitment...

Wink

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
I've got a revenant who's died while pregnate.  Now she's been driven to dark magic to keep herself alive long enough to give birth to it.  She seems extreamly selfish and power hungry, but ultimately, she's just looking for a way to save her child.

I've also got a kobold who's family was kidnapped by "big people".  Yet, he has a prophicy from his wife to protect them, or he'll never see them again.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

One of my favorite PCs, Morgan Kildare, had a full family with a husband and two daughters.  However while fleeing from their invaded village their ship was caught in a storm and her family lost at sea.  She washed up on shore and I'm hoping the DM turns her missing family into a plot hook at some point.  After all, she spent three years pacing the shore to see if they would wash up before turning to adventure (and heavy, heavy drinking).
Resident Shakespeare
Yes! On Toast!
Sign In to post comments