Stretch Strongarm: the Reach Handbook

31 posts / 0 new
Last post

Introduction - Why is there a guide on this?

This is a guide to all the different methods and advantages of extending your reach. Having reach lets you stay out of harms reach that much easier, gives you additional flexibility in positioning and strategy, lets you apply neat effects with powers and feats normally not possible, and is generally pretty fun to play around with. Having reach isn't a goal in and of itself, but it can be added to other builds relatively easily, enhancing your capabilities for the cost of a fighter talent, paragon path, feat or even just an item.

Reach benefits classes from all roles, but defenders in particular benefit from slapping enemies around from range without fear of immediate reprisal, especially when combined with other tactics like Polearm Momentum or World Serpent's Grasp. Strikers on the other hand get to be safely away from auras, threatening reach or counterattacks without needing to focus on ranged attacks. You can also add reach to weapons not normally benefiting from that property, creating silly (yet awesome) combinations like a 15 foot fullblade, or a sneaky dagger that hits even when the rogue is hiding in the crowd some distance away. The roleplay explanations can vary, but it's not too difficult to imagine your weapon leaping out of your hands to attack, or a portal appearing in space before you and your enemy with your blade shoved through the hole in reality.

Scope of This Guide

This guide is specifically focused on extending reach.  I'm going to omit a huge amount of useful stuff that a character would be out of his mind to not use, simply because I could never hope to cover it all.  I'm just focused on stuff that directly relates to enhancing your reach, with the occasional noteworthy side item inserted at my discretion.

I do this out of practicality and self-preservation.  The scope of this guide is naturally rather large, given that I need to cover every race, class, feat, etc that can make a valuable contribution to a build with reach.  I'd rather leave everything that's outside this scope to other guides that specifically cover a class or race in the detail they deserve.

Until I have enough options to really set up a comparison, I'm not including a rating system.

Special thanks

• People in the ask a simple question, get a simple answer thread.  Thanks for the ideas, encouragement and help!  Special thanks to Wazat1 for shamelessly stealing the format and styling (and in some places, wording) of his Polearm Momentum guide.

• Everyone who will contribute -- thanks in advance for your comments and ideas!

How to help

I am but one man with a compendium and a few months on the forum, and haven't the experience or the time to know what all the powers, feats, items or paragon paths/epic destinies exist that can grant or take advantage of additional reach. If you want to suggest a feat/power/weapon/etc for this guide, I'd love to include it so it's not so sparse.  Thanks!

Feel free to post a your build idea (or a link to your build is preferrable to reposting the whole thing here, when able).  I'm planning on including a few links to builds in the guide itself, but I anticipate the greatest ideas to be in the discussion that follows.

I'm also open to (civil) discussion on my ratings, and I appreciate suggestions for things to add to the guide or fix/change.  I'm only one person though, so I'm limited on how much and how often I can update this guide (and my day job wears me out).  Don't be offended if I don't get to it immediately, I mean no slight against you.  :D

If you see something missing from the guide, suggest it.  If you see a large chunk of the guide that I haven't tackled yet and you want to write a bit of it, that will help me out.  I'm stretched in free time and kinda slow, and I definitely don't mind sharing credit with those who help me.

Extending Reach

Applying one of these techniques for extending reach will have its drawbacks - loss of race choice, class features or paragon path. But, depending on the goals and methods of your build, the limitations may be worth the expanded options additional reach affords.

Classes

Fighters have it the easiest. Defenders benefit the most from having additional smacking range, and can choose to do so by only selecting a particular Fighter Talent. This technique applies the wording in Arena Training Weapon Talent to add reach to all of your melee attacks with your arena weapons. In addition to an improvised weapon feature (which you'll not be likely to use, since you're proficient in near everything, but it opens up neat ideas of using fallen enemies as improvised clubs) and an AC boost for not wearing heavy armor, the relevant part of Arena Training is as follows:

You select two weapons as your arena weapons. If you are not already proficient with these weapons, you gain proficiency with them. In addition, any of your feats that grant feat bonuses to attack rolls or damage rolls with one of your arena weapons apply to your other arena weapon as well.

The wording of this feature is very explicit: any feat that qualifies [grant feat bonuses to attack/damage rolls wth one of your arena weapons] applies in its entirety to your other arena weapon. This means that feats such as expertise or focus wouldn't have to be taken twice for for each weapon, and you gain the benefits of those expertise feats as well. For example:

• Arena Training Fighter Talent

• Select Quarterstaff and [weapon] as your Arena Weapons

• Take Staff Expertise

• Gain +1/2/3 to attack rolls with both weapons, and "When you make a melee weapon attack with [your arena weapons], the weapon’s reach for that attack increases by 1.

Result: Reach 2 with any weapon you choose as your second Arena Weapon. Works well with the Extended Arena Training feat to include additional weapons and their Expertise benefits to all your arena weapons. Good uses for this would be Bludgeon Expertise for additional slides and Sling Expertise for not incurring opportunity attacks with ranged and area attacks.

Sentinels are another option for those who don't want to go fighter; at level 13 Summer Sentinels gain the class feature Paragon of the Natural Cycle (Summer): Your reach increases by 1 for melee weapon attacks. This is a more straightforward way of getting perma-reach without RAW vs RAI arguments, and the class gets extra damage for staff weapons and so will likely have already taken Staff Expertise (for a permanent Reach 3 with no other shenanigans!)

Feats

Extended Arena Training as mentioned above adds two more Arena Weapons.

Staff Expertise
as mentioned above adds reach to staff melee attacks.

Ape's Reach (requires Druid, Wild Shape)
While you are in beast form and you are bloodied, you gain +1 reach with melee basic attacks. A bit situational, but depending on your build could come in handy.

Paragon Paths

Stoneblessed (requires Goliath)
Level 11 feature Unusual Reach: Your melee reach increases by 1.
Level 12 utility Summit Advantage: Minor action, until the end of your next turn, you have threatening reach.

Beastblooded Minotaur (requires Minotaur)
Level 16 feature Savage Apotheosis: Your speed increases by 2 and your reach increases by 1.

Polearm Master (requires Fighter, only applies to reach weapons)
Level 11 feature Lunging Action: You can spend an action point to increase the reach of your reach weapons by 1 square until the start of your next turn, instead of taking an extra action.
Level 12 utility Reaching Stance: Until the stance ends, you can make opportunity attacks against enemies within your weapon’s reach.
Level 16 feature Longarm Grasp: If you’re wielding a reach weapon, whenever an enemy within 2 squares of you and marked by you shifts or makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt.

Bloodwrath Guardian (requires Warden)
Level 20 attack Form of the Primal Beast: You assume the guardian form of the Primal Beast until the end of the encounter. While you are in this form, your melee reach increases by 1, and you gain threatening reach.

Dread Reaper (requires Fighter)
Level 11 Reaping Lunge: Range is Melee weapon + 1, shift and attack as an interrupt if they attack someone besides you until the start of your next turn

Stone Keeper (requires Dwarf, Cleric, training in History)
Level 12 utility Scrape the Sky: Until end of encounter, speed and range increase by 1, extra melee damage.

Half-Giant Thug (requires Goliath)
Level 11 feature Gigantic Action: Upon action point, increase reach by 1 for that attack or regain stone's endurance.

Longarm Marshal (requires Warlord)
Level 11 feature Longarm Action: Upon action point, increase reach by 1 until end of next turn with a spear.

Treeborn (requires Wilden)
Level 11 feature Reaching for the Canopy: When you use a wilden racial power, increase your reach by 1 until the end of your next turn.

Epic Destinies

Eternal Defender (requires Fighter)
Level 24 feature Godlike Stature: If you are normally Medium or larger, your melee reach increases by 1 square.

Draconic Incarnation (requires Arcane class)
Level 26 attack Draconic Form: Turn into a dragon for an encounter. Huge, reach 3 and fly speed.

Powers

Form of the Oak Sentinel (Warden 9)
Minor action, until end of encounter you gain +1 reach and have an auto-riposte against melee attacks

Giant's Might (Swordmage 22)
Minor action, until end of encounter you are bigger, stronger and have +1 reach.

Righteous Might (Cleric 25)
Standard action, make an attack, and then until end of encounter you gain +1 reach, extra damage, and speed and AC boost

Items

Greatreach Gauntlets (level 18 hand slot)
Power (At-Will): Minor Action. Until the end of your next turn, increase the reach of your melee attacks by 1 square but take a –2 penalty to attack rolls.

Spear of Urrok the Brave (heroic level, artifact)
"You have threatening reach when you use the Spear. You can make opportunity attacks from up to 2 squares away." Note those two statements are seperate and don't necessarily mean the second overrides the first, more of a clarification. RAW it wouldn't be impossible to consider threatening reach with your entire melee reach.

Dimensional Gauntlets (level 20 hand slot)
Minor action daily power, gain reach +1 and threatening reach until start of next turn. Bonus for Blade of Eldritch Knight as well.

The most obvious way of getting reach is, of course, using a reach weapon. Here is a list of reach weapons, proficiency, type, and feats required to use them (if any).

Glaive: +2, 2d4
Military two-handed melee weapon, heavy blade, polearm

Halberd: +2, 1d10
Military two-handed melee weapon, axe, polearm

Longspear
: +2, 1d10
Military two-handed melee weapon, polearm, spear

Trikal: +2, 1d10
Military two-handed melee weapon, axe, polearm

Cahulaks: +2, 1d8
Superior double melee weapon, heavy thrown, flail
Weapon Proficiency (Cahulaks)

Greatspear: +3, 1d10
Superior two-handed melee weapon, polearm, spear
Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)

Spiked Chain: +3, 2d4
Superior two-handed melee weapon, flail
Spiked Chain Training: Double weapon, stout on one end, off-hand on the other, both 2d4 light blades

Transcendant Ki Focus:
Superior ki focus, blinking, reach

Whip: +3, 1d4
Superior one-handed melee weapon, off-hand, flail
Whip Training: Once per round -2 penalty to the target’s attack rolls against a target of your choice until the end of your next turn.

Zadatl: +2, 1d8
Superior two-handed melee weapon, high crit, polearm, spear
Weapon Proficiency (Zadatl)

What to Do With Reach

This is the section that needs expanding the most. I really have only a little experience with reach characters, much less different classes and races, so any and all input is appreciated.

At-Will Powers

Dual Strike (Fighter 1)
This combines extremely well with Arena Training or fighters in general to have an at-will reach 2 attack and mark. The benefits of having the ability to attack and mark two targets every turn is obvious.

Twin Strike
(Ranger 1)
If you dilettante, hybrid or otherwise poach this attack, it works just like Dual Strike except it allows you to apply your static mods to the same target. Probably better off sticking with Dual Strike.

Footwork Lure (Fighter 1)
This requires some means of extending slides, but this is a "get over here" button that combines extremely well with Polearm shenanigans and benefits quite well from additional reach. Add reach to a polearm and you've got a potent method of long-range stickiness.

Knockdown Assault (Fighter 1)
Ending a charge two squares away from a now-proned enemy? An excellent way of closing the distance to and shutting down distant enemies.

Commander's Strike (Warlord 1)
Who says you need to be next to the enemy to get an ally to attack it with you?

Warden's Fury (Warden 1)
Mark punishment within range Melee Weapon? Yes please!

Encounter Powers

Summit Advantage (Stoneblessed 12)
Minor action, until the end of your next turn, you have threatening reach.

Rampant Reach (Barbarian 16)
You score a critical hit, you have threatening reach with the weapon used in the triggering attack until the end of your next turn.

Threatening Fury (Barbarian 17)
Whenever the target shifts or makes an attack roll against you before the end of your next turn, you can make an opportunity attack against it (range is melee weapon - opportunity attacks at a distance!)

Reaping Lunge (Dread Reaper 11)
Range is Melee weapon + 1, shift and attack as an interrupt if they attack someone besides you until the start of your next turn

Daily Powers

Reaching Stance (Fighter, Polearm Master 12)
Until the stance ends, you can make opportunity attacks against enemies within your weapon’s reach.

Form of the Primal Beast (Bloodwrath Guardian 20)
Minor action, you assume the guardian form of the Primal Beast until the end of the encounter. While you are in this form, your melee reach increases by 1, and you gain threatening reach.

Chain Ward [Multiclass] (Spiked Chain Training 8)
Requires spiked chain, minor action, you threaten any squares you reach until the end of the encounter.

Dimensional Gauntlets (level 20 hand slot)
Minor action daily power, gain reach +1 and threatening reach until start of next turn. Bonus for Blade of Eldritch Knight as well.

Feats

Brutal Reach (Barbarian)
When you rage with a 2-handed reach weapon, your melee attacks gain Brutal 1.

Spear and Shield Style [Arena Fighting] (Int 13, any martial class, proficiency with a shield)
When you use Tide of Iron with a spear and shield, your reach extends by 1. Excellent way of gaining reach with a pushing at-will - basically built for Polearm Momentum.

Sorcerous Blade Channeling (Sorcerer)
Use any sorcerer ranged attack as a melee attack with range equal to your weapon's reach. Might be useful.

Reaching Whirlwind (21st level, Dex 15, Wis 15, fighter)
While wielding a reach weapon, you can treat any fighter attack power that has the weapon keyword and that is a close burst 1 as a close burst 2 instead. This is huge, but remember it only applies to reach weapons, not weapons that have additional reach.

Explaining it to Your Teammates and DM

Here's the fun part. Stack as many reach enhancers as you can cram into a single build (I think the limit is 5 right now not including powers or items?) and see the looks your teammates and DM give you when you try to explain you hit that mob with a melee basic attack from 25 feet away. With a spiked gauntlet. Here are some suggestions:

Bend Spacetime: You've mastered your martial arts/combat skills to the point where you can ripple spacetime into doing your bidding. You punch, and somehow your fist is both right in front of you and slamming into the mob's face four squares away, without actually stretching any noticable difference. You often confuse onlookers with simultanously accurate visions of no range and super range - like staring at a hypercube.

Tear Spacetime: Now you're thinking with portals. You strike into empty air and a gap in the fabric of reality splits open in front of your blade, your forearm disappearing into nothing and erupting from an identical tear in spacetime in front of your enemy.

Ki Attacks: Think back on your anime days and think of Bleach, DBZ, hell even Zelda. You slash your sword and a wave of energy erupts from the blade, a glowing arc of light screaming towards your enemy to devestating results.

Leaping Weapons: More like heavy/light thrown weapons than melee, your weapon leaps out of your hand when you attack, instantly striking and returning to your hand before it even appears to leave, like a flickering mirage.

Stretchy Weapons: This one's just silly, but might work if you've got a staff. Your weapon literally stretches to hit, like the trickster monkey god of chinese legend.

Giant Weapons: Must be Cloud Strife to qualify.

Giant Limbs: You are one creepy looking dude. This would have serious roleplay repercussions.

Stretchy Limbs: Yoga Punch!

A Wizard Did It: You're not actually attacking - you wave your weapon and bad things happen to your enemies. Maybe you can explain it, maybe you don't care.

It's a Game, Don't Think So Hard: Rules are meant to be played with. As long as it's RAW and it doesn't break the game, let it go and have fun.

Additional RP solutions to creative rule interactions welcome.

I'd just like to say thanks as the person who asked if there was a handbook for increasing reach.
Good idea on this, always interesting. If you have time and can be bothered, it might be fun to put in a fluff section for those reach numbers that are just ridiculous (3+ basically).
Here's some other ways to get reach for at least a little while.

Powers
Giant's Might - swordmage level 22 daily utility - increase reach by 1, increase size by 1 category, additional benefits til end of encounter
Form of the Oak Sentinel - warden level 9 daily - increase reach by 1 and damage bonus til end of encounter

Paragon paths
Stone Keeper - cleric, dwarf, trained in history - daily utility "scrape the sky" - increase reach by 1, increase speed by 1, and damage bonus til end of encounter
Half Giant Thug - goliath - action point feature lets pc increase reach by 1 or recover stones endurance
Beastblooded Minotaur - Minotaur - level 16 increase reach by 1 and speed by 2
Longarm Marshall - warlord - action point feature lets pc increase reach by 1 til end of next turn
Treeborn - Wilden - after using racial power increase reach by 1 til end of next turn

Epic Destiny
Draconic Incarnation - level 26 daily utility - become a dragon with reach 3
Don't forget about spiked chain as a reach weapon either.
I realize that the most synergy for polearm/reach builds are with fighter's, but there has to be other classes than can make good use of reach.  Like a warlord with commander's strike.  A goliath with stoneblessed that wields a halberd can enable within 3 squares and, unlike with direct the strike, wouldn't have to worry about an opportunity attack.  Sure nothing is really as powerful as a polearm gamble, polearm momentum, and impaling spear (kulkor) fighter, but I'm sure there has got to be some neat non-fighter builds that make good use of reach.
Updated. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Sorry for the double post.

Summer Sentinel's increase their reach by 1 at level 16.  They already favor staff's, which get to use a d12 for summer sentinels, so they would likely take staff expertise and have reach 3.
Level 13, actually, and that's a good find! Add in Goliath and Eternal Defender and you've got Reach 6!
Clerics have righteous might at level 25.  Increases reach by 1 for the encounter.
Level 13, actually, and that's a good find! Add in Goliath and Eternal Defender and you've got Reach 6!

Love to see the RP explanation for a 30 foot staff!

It would lose some reach, but half-elf with twin strike with reach 4 and d12's.
Now for some char-op...

What's the maximum reach you can get
at one time (dalies)?
Indefinatly?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Best perma-reach I can come up with is Goliath Summer Sentinal MC Fighter, Stoneblessed, Eternal Defender, with Staff Expertise for Reach 5.

Anybody know how to get Summer Sentinal Features and Arena Training in the same build?
IIRC, Barelling Charge was obsoleted by errata, wasn't it?

Also IIRC, doesn't the Warden's punishment have a range equal to their reach? (Unlike Fighters, who need to be adjacent.)
IIRC, Barelling Charge was obsoleted by errata, wasn't it? Also IIRC, doesn't the Warden's punishment have a range equal to their reach? (Unlike Fighters, who need to be adjacent.)

Yea.

The new charge rules makes it irrelevent.  It's compleatly pointless now.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Doesn't the Warden's punishment have a range equal to their reach? (Unlike Fighters, who need to be adjacent.)

Oh man, I looked up Warden's Fury, and sure enough they have range Melee Weapon for their mark enforcing mechanism. That combines really well with Polearm shenanigans and/or slides to be damn near irresistable. Very interesting.

Why do you mention how good Twin Strike is for Fighters to poach and use for multi-marking when they can do that better with Dual Strike, which they don't have to work hard to access?
Good point.
Some of the previous threads on this:
community.wizards.com/go/forum/search?te...

... with my standard reach tag of Umber Shadow Hulks.
Get Reach 5 and Threatening Reach, and hulk goes by-by.

5E mini- SRD available now in HTML here:  http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

Excellent resources, thank you.
At level 13 Summer Sentinels gain the class feature Paragon of the Natural Cycle (Summer): Your reach increases by 1 for melee weapon attacks.

Paragon Path:
Verdant Lord - Warden - Action Point increases reach while in guardian form.  Level 20 power increases reach also.
Not quite on the reach subject, but the spiked chain utility MC feat gives you a stance with threatening  reach (if using a spiked chain) and the polearm master class utility does the same. Despite the "polearm" part of polearm master, all of the abilities apply to the spiked chain as well.

Just thought you might want to see that option. 
Love the RP explanations.

If I ever make a Sentinel MC fighter w/ permanent reach 5 with a staff, I definitely plan on explaining it as the goliath carries a flagpole with the adventuring parties flag at the top.

Battlemind and its powers are worth a review for this topic.  No extra reach feat support for the class.  Class features don't help either as unfortunately Mind Spike is melee 1.  Persistant Harrier is allowed even if you can't reach the target (but that's not true 'reach').

Some decent reach powers to be had in heroic:

Battlemind 3 At-wills - Cast the Net: Augment 1 gives Melee weapon +1 Reach,
                                   Lodestone Lure is Melee 2 (not acutal reach increase)
                                   Wrenching Claw: Augument 1 is +1 reach, Augment 2 is Reach + squares equal to ChaMoney mouth               
Battlemind 7 At-wills - Flowing Weapon: Both Augments 1 and 2 are reach +3 (something besides Lightning Rush might be good? Surprised)

MC to fighter could work well.  Build Challenge!

It might also be worth mentioning that as an item encounter power the General's Weapon can increase your reach as a minor action till the end of next turn.

I think Vine's Reach from Heroes of Feywild should be mentioned.

Vine Arms (prerequisites: wilden, nature's aspect)
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to athletics checks.
In addition, when you use your Nature's Aspect racial power, your melee reach increases by 1 until the end of your next turn.
I think Vine's Reach from Heroes of Feywild should be mentioned.

Vine Arms (prerequisites: wilden, nature's aspect)
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to athletics checks.
In addition, when you use your Nature's Aspect racial power, your melee reach increases by 1 until the end of your next turn.

Here is a weapon that might be worth mentioning:

Blade of the Eldritch Knight
Level 15+ (Uncommon)

Mystic runes shimmer along the length of this blade. The weapon enables you to attack a distant enemy.

Lvl 15+325,000 gpLvl 25+5625,000 gp
Lvl 20+4125,000 gpLvl 30+63,125,000 gp

Weapon: Heavy blade

Enhancement Bonus: attack rolls and damage rolls

Critical: +1d6 damage per plus

Property

When you use a standard action to make a melee attack with this blade, your melee reach increases to 5 for that attack.

Published in Adventurer's Vault 2, page(s) 114.

Nice guide...

I am looking to build a mid paragon character (level 14-16) with threatening reach most of the time.

The only 2 ways I see of gaining threatening reach fr an encounter would be reaching stance and chain ward. Neither works for the sentinel build; so it would need to be an arena fighter. Using a spiked chain with staff expertise only grants a reach 2, or 5x5 threatened area. How could you add to that? Going with a stoneblessed instead of polearm master would give the extended reach, but limits you to 1 round/encounter plus 1 encounter/day - I would much rather have 2 encounters/day.

Is there any way to recharge the l12 utility (summit advantage) and use it twice (or more) in the same encounter?

Sign In to post comments