Decline: A better hard counter

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
How would you rate this card? Hard [Card]counterspell[/Card]s for :U::U: have been phased out in favor of [Card]Cancel[/Card] at the three-mana mark, but how much "tougher to cast" does adding a second color to the mix make it? Is it a problem that now you can cast a "vanilla" hard counter without having two blue mana free?

Edit: What do you think of the card's colors? Is white the appropriate color to accompany blue here?

Decline
 :W::U:
Instant (Uncommon)
Counter target spell.
"No"
—Vitraxian Nullmage

Adding a second color to the cost won't get you anything when it comes to countering, CMC 2 hard counters are dead and will be staying that way for a while. Even in WU you need to pay 3 and the white just adds a small white effect (Absorb) Maybe if you had to pay three life...
I like the art. Flavor text is crap and I'm not a huge fan of a card which is arguably better than Counterspell.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I like the art. Flavor text is crap and I'm not a huge fan of a card which is arguably better than Counterspell.

Yeah, flavor text is a placeholder. Just looks nicer to have words there as I'm piecing a set together.

Better than Counterspell? ...maybe "almost as good as" but not better. Probably too close in power to it to see print though, and unfortunately adding anything else to the card other than "Counter target spell" ruins the card's elegance. Alright, thanks for the feedback.

Also, how do you do spoilers to hide card art?

Edit: Figured it out. Somehow the spoiler tag didn't work the first time I tried it. 
Adding a second color to the cost won't get you anything when it comes to countering, CMC 2 hard counters are dead and will be staying that way for a while. Even in WU you need to pay 3 and the white just adds a small white effect (Absorb) Maybe if you had to pay three life...

Deprive.

I am entirely confident that Wizards will reprint Counterspell at some point in the future.

Deprive.

To be fair, Deprive isn't just a two-mana hard counter. It's got an additional cost in there too.

I am entirely confident that Wizards will reprint Counterspell at some point in the future.

Given the absurd amount of power creep in recent sets?  I predict sooner rather than later. 
Better than Counterspell? ...maybe "almost as good as" but not better. Probably too close in power to it to see print though, and unfortunately adding anything else to the card other than "Counter target spell" ruins the card's elegance. Alright, thanks for the feedback.

This card is better than Counterspell if you're playing Sunforger, but then, a number of counterspells are in that case. Double Negative, Suffocating Blast, Absorb...

Adding a second color to this card doesn't make the card any better on its own, it arguably makes it worse, being harder to cast with certain manabases. But it increases its interactivity with a lot of cards, like Chrome Mox and Sunforger. Some cards care about color, and I don't think any spell on the stack cares about white spells or effects targeting it.

Sunscour is another card that comes to mind.
It's not just that "the spell is now white" though, it's also that you no longer need two blue mana to cast it. If I'm already playing a U/W deck or a U/W/other colors deck, it's easier for that deck to get wu than to get uu.

It's not strictly better or strictly worse. But since the original counterspell is already too powerful, making something so similar to it, and especially one that is better than it in a popular archetype, is still too powerful.