Warden | Avenger Hybrid Criticism Wanted

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm working on a build, and I thought I'd throw it to Char Op to play with to see if it can be improved.  The goal here is a durable character able to lock down an enemy and put out respectable damage on a consistent basis.  Nova isn't a consideration for this build right now, as there are very few available minor action attacks in the Avenger / Warden powers.  Instead, the focus is on at-will DPR.

I'm open to all suggestions.  My build is in the block below, and my reasoning is broken out afterwards.

Warden|Avenger MC Fighter

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Mul Earthstrength L21, level 21
Mul, Avenger/Warden, Son of Mercy, Indomitable Champion
Hybrid Avenger Option: Hybrid Avenger Will
Hybrid Warden Option: Hybrid Warden Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Warden's Armored Might
Guardian Might Option: Earthstrength
Epic Heroism Option: Constitution
Epic Heroism Option: Wisdom
Born of Two Races Option: Dwarf

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 24, DEX 13, INT 12, WIS 28, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 14, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 10

AC: 38 Fort: 36 Ref: 31 Will: 41
HP: 159 Surges: 16 Surge Value: 39

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +25, Endurance +24, Heal +25, Perception +25

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Arcana +11, Athletics +9, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, History +11, Insight +19, Intimidate +13, Nature +19, Religion +11, Stealth +10, Streetwise +13, Thievery +10

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Mul Racial Power: Incredible Toughness
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
Son of Mercy Feature: Lawbreaker's Doom
Avenger Attack 1: Overwhelming Strike
Warden Attack 1: Weight of Earth
Avenger Utility 2: Holy Blessing
Avenger Attack 3: Fury's Advance
Warden Utility 6: Treacherous Ice
Avenger Attack 9: Blade of Repulsion
Avenger Utility 10: Wings of Vengeance
Warden Utility 10: Spiritual Rejuvenation
Son of Mercy Attack 11: Dispensed Justice
Son of Mercy Utility 12: Red Death
Warden Attack 13: Stormhowler's Strike
Warden Attack 15: Form of the Crushing Mountain
Avenger Attack 17: Vengeful Parry
Avenger Attack 19: Vengeful Recovery
Son of Mercy Attack 20: Blood Oath Fulfilled

FEATS
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 8: Crushing Earthstrength
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Vicious Advantage
Level 11: Painful Oath
Level 12: Superior Will
Level 14: Wrathful Warrior
Level 16: Earthstrength Defenses
Level 18: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 21: Epic Recovery
Level 21: Stoneheart Warrior

ITEMS
Bracers of Mighty Striking (paragon tier) x1
Feyslaughter Rapier +4 x1
Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier) x1
Ring of Sympathy (paragon tier) x1
Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier) x1
Strikebacks (heroic tier) x1
Stalkerhide Armor of Enduring Health +5 x1
Amulet of Protection +5 x1
Winged Boots (paragon tier) x1
Cincture of Vivacity (paragon tier) x1
Rhythm Blade Spiked shield +1 x1
Ring of Fury (paragon tier) x1
Frozen Whetstone (heroic tier)
Chainreach Rapier +3
Hidden Rapier +3
Defensive Rapier +3
Ruby Scabbard (heroic tier)
Symbol of Victory +2
Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (paragon tier)
====== End ======

Notes

I've already got our group's promise of the L23 armor when I bring the character in, so the money and items won't match up for standard L21 characters.

Basic Tactics and Reasoning Behind Build Decisions

Rapier: A light blade was decided upon because of the near constant combat advantae available.  This makes the Light Blade Expertise feat (+1/2/3 damage with a light blade) a very solid choice.  We do give up doing a lot of critical damage, but with a Feyslaughter Weapon, criticals aren't going to be exciting anyway, regardless of weapon type.  Hammers were looked at, but the lower accuracy combined with a worse (for this build) expertise feat and general lack of feat flexibility made them a bad choice.

Hybrid: Earthstrength: This buffs our AC, and it allows for second wind optimization with Earthstrength Defenses (+Con Mod to NADs) and Crushing Earthstrength (+Con Mod to damage).  It also makes Epic Recovery (+1 Second Wind) and Stoneheart Warrior (Free Action Second Wind) that much better.  It also gives us Hide Armor.  While making Wisdom our AC booster would be ideal for defenses without a second wind, the feat options are not as good. 

Mul over Dwarf: Muls get better speed and another surge.  Once you get Stoneheart Warrior at 21, the Dwarf's minor action Second Wind is obsolete, which only gives them the ability to not go prone as the reason to pick them. 

Son of Mercy Paragon Path: Slowing is great when combo'd with World Serpent's Grasp.  This, with a Feyslaughter Rapier, means my Oath of Enmity target is going to be slowed, prone, unable to teleport, and basically stuck next to me until he is slain.  Also, Wisdom mod to damage is tasty with a +9 Wis mod at 21.

Indomitable Champion: The standard.  +2 to two attributes.  +20 HP and +1 to NADs at 24.  Thank you very much.

Basic Tactics

The basic concept of the build is to go in and spam Overwhelming Strike while using a Free Action Second Wind to pump your defenses (and damage) for a few rounds.  You can effectively get 6 rounds of damage boosting if you Second Wind every other turn at the start of turns 1, 3, and 5.  The Whetstones can be added to your weapon to give it cold damage (thus setting off the shard for consistent damage).  At 22, you can take Earthstrength Might to make a MBA (Overwhelming Strike) as a free action.  Also, the Mul feat Inexhaustible Resources to pump THP when you spend a second wind (and not have to actually spend a healing surge).  Also, with a Defensive Weapon +3 handy and the Earthstrength Defenses feat, you pump your defenses by 12 each time you second wind.  Hidden Weapon is there to give a bit of an initiative boost early on (and get rid of it quickly) while the Symbol of Victory is a great passive holy symbol to hang around my neck.

I could use some advice on eventual neck items specifically.  There are a few healing ones, but I'm also wondering about some of the more defensive ones as an option, too.  In addition, Deep-Pocket Cloak could let me grab some of these weapons more freely.

Known Flaws

Reflex: The Reflex is terrible, and I know it.  Epic Reflexes can fix this at 22 or 24 (likely 24).  I do have a Rhythm Blade Spiked Shield, but that's about the most I can boost Reflex.  My feet slot is taken up by Winged Boots (see below), so I have no easy Reflex booster there.

Flying Foes: If there are a ton of flying creatures in multiple combats, it could get tricky.  Winged Boots, a spare Chainreach Weapon, and Wings of Vengeance can reduce the pain.

Strength: I have some strength powers from Son of Mercy and Warden (At-Will, 1 Encounter).  I will miss with them all the time if I use them, so they are effectively wasted.  Unfortunate, but necessary in this build, as HP and Surges are required (not to mention Con is AC).

No Full Frostcheese: I can't fit in the full Frostcheese Combo, despite the whetstones.  The build is very feat-starved (lacks weapon focus even).  Human doesn't help it with Reincarnate Champion due to losing out on too many stat mod bonuses.

No Theme or Background: Houserules here would prevent me from taking them if I took the Dragonshard.  I can't find any theme or background that would justify not having the Dragonshard.

Damage Summary

Damage at 21 works out to +31 vs. AC (Combat Advantage - Near Constant) and 2d8 + 50 with your second wind damage bonuses.  Against a 35 AC Monster at 21, that's an average damage of 59.76 with double rolls.  They also are slowed, prone, can't teleport (Feyslaughter), marked, the target of my Oath of Enmity, and subject to Lawbreaker's Doom.  Depending on the Daily I have up, they might not be able to shift either.

Thanks To:

AlphaAnt - For the Warden Handbook
GelatinousOctahedron - For some suggestions in the handbook to my initial build concept that spawned this.
Anyone who makes a suggestion

Since avengers typically care a little less about their attack roll bonus (because they're usually rolling attack rolls twice), is there any particular reason you're going with a 14/18 starting split between CON and WIS, rather than a more balanced 16/16? (I'm not very experienced at CharOp, so this is more of a question than a suggestion.)
The Wisdom is for 3 damage instances (Painful Oath, Paragon Path, and Static Mod). And extra to-hit.
So, I'm working on a build, and I thought I'd throw it to Char Op to play with to see if it can be improved.  The goal here is a durable character able to lock down an enemy and put out respectable damage on a consistent basis.  Nova isn't a consideration for this build right now, as there are very few available minor action attacks in the Avenger / Warden powers.  Instead, the focus is on at-will DPR.

I'm open to all suggestions.  My build is in the block below, and my reasoning is broken out afterwards.

Warden|Avenger MC Fighter

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Mul Earthstrength L21, level 21
Mul, Avenger/Warden, Son of Mercy, Indomitable Champion
Hybrid Avenger Option: Hybrid Avenger Will
Hybrid Warden Option: Hybrid Warden Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Warden's Armored Might
Guardian Might Option: Earthstrength
Epic Heroism Option: Constitution
Epic Heroism Option: Wisdom
Born of Two Races Option: Dwarf

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 24, DEX 13, INT 12, WIS 28, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 14, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 10

AC: 38 Fort: 36 Ref: 31 Will: 41
HP: 159 Surges: 16 Surge Value: 39

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +25, Endurance +24, Heal +25, Perception +25

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Arcana +11, Athletics +9, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, History +11, Insight +19, Intimidate +13, Nature +19, Religion +11, Stealth +10, Streetwise +13, Thievery +10

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Mul Racial Power: Incredible Toughness
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
Son of Mercy Feature: Lawbreaker's Doom
Avenger Attack 1: Overwhelming Strike
Warden Attack 1: Weight of Earth
Avenger Utility 2: Holy Blessing
Avenger Attack 3: Fury's Advance
Warden Utility 6: Treacherous Ice
Avenger Attack 9: Blade of Repulsion
Avenger Utility 10: Wings of Vengeance
Warden Utility 10: Spiritual Rejuvenation
Son of Mercy Attack 11: Dispensed Justice
Son of Mercy Utility 12: Red Death
Warden Attack 13: Stormhowler's Strike
Warden Attack 15: Form of the Crushing Mountain
Avenger Attack 17: Vengeful Parry
Avenger Attack 19: Vengeful Recovery
Son of Mercy Attack 20: Blood Oath Fulfilled

FEATS
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 8: Crushing Earthstrength
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Vicious Advantage
Level 11: Painful Oath
Level 12: Superior Will
Level 14: Wrathful Warrior
Level 16: Earthstrength Defenses
Level 18: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 21: Epic Recovery
Level 21: Stoneheart Warrior

ITEMS
Bracers of Mighty Striking (paragon tier) x1
Feyslaughter Rapier +4 x1
Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier) x1
Ring of Sympathy (paragon tier) x1
Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier) x1
Strikebacks (heroic tier) x1
Stalkerhide Armor of Enduring Health +5 x1
Amulet of Protection +5 x1
Winged Boots (paragon tier) x1
Cincture of Vivacity (paragon tier) x1
Rhythm Blade Spiked shield +1 x1
Ring of Fury (paragon tier) x1
Frozen Whetstone (heroic tier)
Chainreach Rapier +3
Hidden Rapier +3
Defensive Rapier +3
Ruby Scabbard (heroic tier)
Symbol of Victory +2
Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (paragon tier)
====== End ======

Notes

I've already got our group's promise of the L23 armor when I bring the character in, so the money and items won't match up for standard L21 characters.

Basic Tactics and Reasoning Behind Build Decisions

Rapier: A light blade was decided upon because of the near constant combat advantae available.  This makes the Light Blade Expertise feat (+1/2/3 damage with a light blade) a very solid choice.  We do give up doing a lot of critical damage, but with a Feyslaughter Weapon, criticals aren't going to be exciting anyway, regardless of weapon type.  Hammers were looked at, but the lower accuracy combined with a worse (for this build) expertise feat and general lack of feat flexibility made them a bad choice.

Hybrid: Earthstrength: This buffs our AC, and it allows for second wind optimization with Earthstrength Defenses (+Con Mod to NADs) and Crushing Earthstrength (+Con Mod to damage).  It also makes Epic Recovery (+1 Second Wind) and Stoneheart Warrior (Free Action Second Wind) that much better.  It also gives us Hide Armor.  While making Wisdom our AC booster would be ideal for defenses without a second wind, the feat options are not as good. 

Mul over Dwarf: Muls get better speed and another surge.  Once you get Stoneheart Warrior at 21, the Dwarf's minor action Second Wind is obsolete, which only gives them the ability to not go prone as the reason to pick them. 

Son of Mercy Paragon Path: Slowing is great when combo'd with World Serpent's Grasp.  This, with a Feyslaughter Rapier, means my Oath of Enmity target is going to be slowed, prone, unable to teleport, and basically stuck next to me until he is slain.  Also, Wisdom mod to damage is tasty with a +9 Wis mod at 21.

Indomitable Champion: The standard.  +2 to two attributes.  +20 HP and +1 to NADs at 24.  Thank you very much.

Basic Tactics

The basic concept of the build is to go in and spam Overwhelming Strike while using a Free Action Second Wind to pump your defenses (and damage) for a few rounds.  You can effectively get 6 rounds of damage boosting if you Second Wind every other turn at the start of turns 1, 3, and 5.  The Whetstones can be added to your weapon to give it cold damage (thus setting off the shard for consistent damage).  At 22, you can take Earthstrength Might to make a MBA (Overwhelming Strike) as a free action.  Also, the Mul feat Inexhaustible Resources to pump THP when you spend a second wind (and not have to actually spend a healing surge).  Also, with a Defensive Weapon +3 handy and the Earthstrength Defenses feat, you pump your defenses by 12 each time you second wind.  Hidden Weapon is there to give a bit of an initiative boost early on (and get rid of it quickly) while the Symbol of Victory is a great passive holy symbol to hang around my neck.

I could use some advice on eventual neck items specifically.  There are a few healing ones, but I'm also wondering about some of the more defensive ones as an option, too.  In addition, Deep-Pocket Cloak could let me grab some of these weapons more freely.

Known Flaws

Reflex: The Reflex is terrible, and I know it.  Epic Reflexes can fix this at 22 or 24 (likely 24).  I do have a Rhythm Blade Spiked Shield, but that's about the most I can boost Reflex.  My feet slot is taken up by Winged Boots (see below), so I have no easy Reflex booster there.

Flying Foes: If there are a ton of flying creatures in multiple combats, it could get tricky.  Winged Boots, a spare Chainreach Weapon, and Wings of Vengeance can reduce the pain.

Strength: I have some strength powers from Son of Mercy and Warden (At-Will, 1 Encounter).  I will miss with them all the time if I use them, so they are effectively wasted.  Unfortunate, but necessary in this build, as HP and Surges are required (not to mention Con is AC).

No Full Frostcheese: I can't fit in the full Frostcheese Combo, despite the whetstones.  The build is very feat-starved (lacks weapon focus even).  Human doesn't help it with Reincarnate Champion due to losing out on too many stat mod bonuses.

No Theme or Background: Houserules here would prevent me from taking them if I took the Dragonshard.  I can't find any theme or background that would justify not having the Dragonshard.

Damage Summary

Damage at 21 works out to +31 vs. AC (Combat Advantage - Near Constant) and 2d8 + 50 with your second wind damage bonuses.  Against a 35 AC Monster at 21, that's an average damage of 59.76 with double rolls.  They also are slowed, prone, can't teleport (Feyslaughter), marked, the target of my Oath of Enmity, and subject to Lawbreaker's Doom.  Depending on the Daily I have up, they might not be able to shift either.

Thanks To:

AlphaAnt - For the Warden Handbook
GelatinousOctahedron - For some suggestions in the handbook to my initial build concept that spawned this.
Anyone who makes a suggestion

How do you have 3 second winds per encounter? I know Epic Recovery adds one, not sure about the third.
The Spiritual Rejuvenation L10 Utility adds another use, although it is a daily.
Armor of Enduring Health adds one as well.