M12 Bombiness: Timely Reinforcements

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is my de-facto p1p1 in M12. This card is just unbelievable.

First of all, everything on the ground has 1 toughness. That may be a litle exaggration but it's almost the case. And this card swings the game so hard if you're stalling behind, and you don't mind gripping one when you're winning anyway. Also it's so great in UW or GW, since your removals are pacifism effects or Gideon's Tapper, your opponents' creatures will still be on the board. I've cast this with my opponent only having an active Sengir Vampire, while I had 3 fliers, and still got 3 tokens. That's just pure gold.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
How did you get three tokens? You only get them if you control less creatures than your opponent. This card is damn good, don't get me wrong. But you have to be under your opponent in some shape or form for it to work, even if by only one.

Timely Reinforcements
How did you get three tokens? You only get them if you control less creatures than your opponent.

I assume pacifism was involved.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
all that is needed is your opponent to play an early creature and swing once, while you just land drop. Which should happen all the time in this set.

Assuming its in the opening hand, which is where the card is at its best.
This seems like an excellent sideboard card vs RDW. Perhaps the best ever. But I'm not sold on it being super in limited.
I don't agree with your evaluation of this card; While it can be fine, it's not a definitive 1P1P. Would you pick this over a Planeswalker? Over a fantastic piece of removal? Over a Djinn of Wishes or another bomb?

I wouldn't, is all I'm saying.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
How did you get three tokens? You only get them if you control less creatures than your opponent.

"Also it's so great in UW or GW, since your removals are pacifism effects or Gideon's Tapper, your opponents' creatures will still be on the board."
I don't agree with your evaluation of this card; While it can be fine, it's not a definitive 1P1P. Would you pick this over a Planeswalker? Over a fantastic piece of removal? Over a Djinn of Wishes or another bomb?

You get Grim Affliction p1p1, even thought you don't pick it over Batterskull, right? It's what p1p1 means - a card good enough that disregarding bombs, it's a first pick quality. I'd grab this over most removal, as removal can only get you 1v1.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet

You get Grim Affliction p1p1, even thought you don't pick it over Batterskull, right? It's what p1p1 means - a card good enough that disregarding bombs, it's a first pick quality. I'd grab this over most removal, as removal can only get you 1v1.

I haven't tried drafting M12 yet but I don't think I would first-pick this, barring a really, really bad pack.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Well let's see now, most rares and mythics will be a better pick, which uncommons are better pack 1 pick 1s?:
Arbalest Elite
Azure Mage
Belltower Sphinx  
Cudgel Troll
Fireball
Jade Mage 
Mind Control
Oblivion Ring
Onyx Mage
Overrun
Sengir Vampire
Serra Angel
Stingerfling Spider
Tectonic Rift
Volcanic Dragon       

And Commons:
Chandra's Outrage
Doom Blade
Gideon's Lawkeeper
Mana Leak
Pacifism

So out of 1 rare, 3 uncommons, and 10 commons in a pack it is unlikely that Timely Reinforcements is the top one.
I'm not a huge fan I must say. I seemed to have it stuck in my hand most of the time on the weekend, for zero effect. And if you do get a chance to play it later in the game, its not game changing enough to warrant the slot for me. Coupled with the fact that you'd never want to run more than one (or maybe two at the most), as playing an 'active' one just means the next one you draw sucks.
All that left me a little underwhelmed with a card I did think was awesome at first glance. I still thought it was OK, but don't really want to see it after T5 or so.
You obviously value this higher than me; I would care to argue spells such as Shock, Deathmark, etc., were better picks than this. It's token generation, but at sorcery speed. You're paying 3 mana for 3 1/1s, which is fine, but not gamebreaking.

That said, how many pingers/mass removal does 12 have? Do we still have Pyroclasm?