Kog's One-A-Day Cards - #1 Will of the Firemind

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Back when I first joined these forums, I would post a daily card and I did it for about a month before I ran out of ideas and forgot about it. I tried to revive them a few years ago, but failed. I figure the time has come for a third attempt to share the creations of my brilliance. We'll kick it off with:

Will of the Firemind
Instant [rare]
Counter target spell. Will of the Firemind deals damage to its controler equal to its mana cost.
Those who displease Niv-Mizzet only do so once. They usually lack the mental capacity afterward to do so again.

My inspiration for this card was that I have an Izzet burn deck I want some good counters in, and the closest thing to this is Suffocating Blast. I hope everyone enjoys these, and I will be including links to all past cards of this incarnation of these threads in my sig.

This is my third attempt, and I hope this is better then my others.
Kingofgames01 a.k.a. Dr.Kog I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Be on later, pumping iron now
Pimping Irene? Poor Irene! Why can't you just leave that poor girl alone? She didn't ask for ANY of this!
Yeah she did. Did you see what she wore? Purple *graped*
How much damage?

Also, this should probably cost at least , depending on how much damage it deals.
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
Thank you for pointing that out.
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Pimping Irene? Poor Irene! Why can't you just leave that poor girl alone? She didn't ask for ANY of this!

Will of the Firemind
Instant [rare]
Counter target spell. If was used to cast ~, deal damage to the countered spell's controler or a creature he or she controls equal to the countered spell's converted mana cost.
Those who displease Niv-Mizzet only do so once. They usually lack the mental capacity afterward to do so again.

Actually, I'm thinking this is kind of broken. What if you counter an Eldrazi? For three mana, yeah, it's pretty bad.

I've posted a new version
I am Blue/White
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
How is the new card much different than Suffocating Blast? Sure, it gives you more flexibility and the ability to target players. It should probably cost as much, if not more (granted, power levels have increased a bit since the Blast, so an identical cost may suffice).
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
God, my skills have fallen far, if that's the best I've got. You've got a good point there.
I am Blue/White
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Ha, don't be so hard on yourself.
You're just a bit rusty. Everybody is when they are recovering from a hiatus.
(I should know, I'm the King of Hiati. Ha.)

I actually really like the idea behind the original card. Here's how I would do it:

Will of the Firemind
Instant {R}
Counter target spell.
If was spent to cast Will of the Firemind, it deals damage to that spell's controller equal to that spells converted mana cost.
Those who displease Niv-Mizzet usually lack the mental capacity afterward to do so again.

It almost effectively obsoletes Parallectric Feedback, but I really like this implementation.
It doesn't though because you can play Parallectric Feedback in a monored deck.

Thus: almost.
Not even almost. Seriously.

Thus: almost.

Zing!!!
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
is it just me or did you take suffocating blast then lop off of the mana cost?

Using your method of card creation, I have this great new idea for a card:
Drawspell
Instant
Reveal the top five cards of your library. An opponent separates those cards into two piles. Put one pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.

Yeah, that's right, let's just make the creator feel like an idiot. If your just going to make stupid comments, why do you even bother posting?

@Cgalcic and Mata_Hari: I'm going to redo the original idea, tell me what you think of it.
I am Blue/White
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
I like the new version, but I don't think that a hybrid cost is really appropriate, since you'd effectively be giving mono-red decks counterspells. At 2UR this would be quite good.
edit: there's also a minor wording issue, it should say "Will of the Firemind deals damage to" instead of "Deal damage to"
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
Alright, I'll edit once more, and see what we've got.

EDIT: How do I add links to my signature?
I am Blue/White
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758..." title="community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...">#1. Will of the Firemind

edit: weird, that was working in preview post. i don't know
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
I got it, thanks.
I am Blue/White
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:

Will of the Firemind
Instant [rare]
Counter target spell. Will of the Firemind deals damage to its controler equal to its mana cost.

From a design perspective, this version is solid and I wouldn't change anything. Playtesting might reveal this card to be a tod too powerful and the casting cost might need to change to , , or some equivilent, but this should be fine at it's current cost.
How many different versions of this card were there? usually razorborne would be all over someone for this kind of first post editting trickery.

But that aside it is a fairl nice card. I think it would probably fit at if wizards was to ever do this.
IMAGE(http://kherkeep.com/images/smilies/plowbeast.png)Why can't everyone see the inherent goodness in destruction? Or the evil in creation? A forest cannot live without the nutrients provided by the destructive force of a forest fire. And if I am wrong, then why is lifeblood of creation - water - the most destructive force on the planet? 701.4. Cast
You guys realize that Suffocating Blast is very different from this card. It hits creatures.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I actually really like the idea behind the original card. Here's how I would do it:

Will of the Firemind
Instant {R}
Counter target spell.
If was spent to cast Will of the Firemind, it deals damage to that spell's controller equal to that spells converted mana cost.
Those who displease Niv-Mizzet usually lack the mental capacity afterward to do so again.

It almost effectively obsoletes Parallectric Feedback, but I really like this implementation.

call me old fashion, i don't like unconditional hard counter with single blue.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]