Crossing Fingers! DDI Team May add content from 2 magazines this month!

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
They are probably burning the midnight oil to make this ambitious goal.

Let's see how many of the long requested features got added this month....

Looks like zero.

Breathtaking.

Here's to hope Smile.

`Teo

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

I pledge to re-up my subscription if they agree to put Dragon 399 and 400, and the two most recent Dungeon magazine in to DDI (CB and RC) for the 12 July update.  Do I hear others? 

(I'd love it if they make it policy to put digital products in to DDI databases shortly after being "published" during the next update like they do with printed books).
I pledge to re-up my subscription if they agree to put Dragon 399 and 400, and the two most recent Dungeon magazine in to DDI (CB and RC) for the 12 July update.  Do I hear others? 

(I'd love it if they make it policy to put digital products in to DDI databases shortly after being "published" during the next update like they do with printed books).

I don't think people realize the difference between printed material and the online magazines.  Printed material goes to their printers at least 2 months before it's released.  This 2 month time frame is plenty to get the "final product" into the tools by release day.  The online magazines are not "final product" until the end of the month in which they are published, hence they are always in the second update after the end of the month.

Their latest comments on this are that they now want to publish the magazine content and have an opportunity for community feedback before the content is finalized and eventually put in the digital tools. 
I don't think people realize the difference between printed material and the online magazines.  Printed material goes to their printers at least 2 months before it's released.  This 2 month time frame is plenty to get the "final product" into the tools by release day.  The online magazines are not "final product" until the end of the month in which they are published, hence they are always in the second update after the end of the month.

Their latest comments on this are that they now want to publish the magazine content and have an opportunity for community feedback before the content is finalized and eventually put in the digital tools. 

I thought they changed the review process for digital content so that it would be vetted by R&D and the designers themselves in the same rigorous review/vetting process that takes place for actual printed materials.  Further, iirc they have implemented a two month window for outsiders to submit digital content covering the next six months and then are closed for outside submissions for the next four months.  So there should be plenty of time for review.  With the exception of 'Playtest' material which is not finalized content or 'Unearthed Arcana' material which is not canonized, the DDI material should have already had ample time for them to review and submit to their DDI database 2-6+ weeks after it's been digitally released.

I thought they changed the review process for digital content so that it would be vetted by R&D and the designers themselves in the same rigorous review/vetting process that takes place for actual printed materials.  Further, iirc they have implemented a two month window for outsiders to submit digital content covering the next six months and then are closed for outside submissions for the next four months.  So there should be plenty of time for review.  With the exception of 'Playtest' material which is not finalized content or 'Unearthed Arcana' material which is not canonized, the DDI material should have already had ample time for them to review and submit to their DDI database 2-6+ weeks after it's been digitally released.

Case in point of what I'm talking about.  The recent uproar over the Cleric/Templar article and the buffs/nerfs that were in it.  IIRC there was a post by someone from WotC saying that they planned to "trial" such material before making it official for perhaps a 30 day period.  I think it was Steve who said something about it in his post about why we eventually just didn't get an update in May.

Case in point of what I'm talking about.  The recent uproar over the Cleric/Templar article and the buffs/nerfs that were in it.  IIRC there was a post by someone from WotC saying that they planned to "trial" such material before making it official for perhaps a 30 day period.  I think it was Steve who said something about it in his post about why we eventually just didn't get an update in May.

Yes, I think they finally realized that their 'rigorous' testing staff sucks compared to the CharOp board and people that actually use the rules in play. It became painfully clear when CharOp and other could point out flaws as soon as something was published compared to the weeks or even months that the testing staff took to review it and passed it...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
To be fair some stuff it takes a long time for charop to figure out, but with the templar article one wonders how much they listen to errata board and charop suggestions in the first place.

I am hoping the battle cleric article gets in the OCB real soon.
Online content has a two-month delay before being included in the tools. If it comes out on wizards.com in May, the CB and Compendium will get it in July. That's the system unless and until you hear otherwise from Wizards of the Coast. 

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Thanks for sharing the official policy guidance, Steve.  I'm glad to see you all involved more at 'grass roots' for DDI customers and prospective(/former) customer alike.  Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to hear/see what the future of DDI has for us.  Cheers!
Sign In to post comments