07/11/2011 MM: "Out of the Closet, Part 1"

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I have a few treasured Magic shirts as well.  My Exodus pre-release one since I got it at the Walt Disney World location (Junior Super Series was going on, so the cocurrent prerelease got a T-shrt that other locations didn't get).  I also love  the one similar to Maro's Tempest prerelease one, however it just says Tempest as I did not get it at the prereleased, but later on thru the internet.
Ooh ooh Magic: The Gathering fashion show and tell. I love it.

I had two shirts. One was from the Judgement pre-release, but is no longer around. My other is a Baron Sengir shirt.  I don't think it was from the pre-release of Homelands, though I'll be damned if I know where I picked it up.  It's in as horrible condition as the vampire himself.
This shirt was specially made for this purpose, so only ten were ever made, one for each of the Top 8 and one for Ken Nagle and I, the two judges that judged the entire show (each week had two guest judges).

Apparently, even mentioning Ken causes the English language to deteriorate within a three-word radius.
Ok, every Monday, I seriously expect an article about Magic design. And I'm disappointed.
not really impressed with this one mark, sorry, better luck next time
Nice Ponch :P
Z
I sadly own only two Magic T-shirts, both from a prerelease. My favorite is from Betrayers of Kamigawa (got it randomly) and shows Ink-Eyes, Sercvant of Oni. It's awesome.
The other is from Scourge and shows a Grinning Demon being destroyed in some way. It also holds a special place in my heart because it's from the one prerelease that I actually won.

I look forward to the top ten!
As far as I remember, this is the first column, in almost ten years, that MaRo hasn't even tried to connect to Magic design in some way. A few were pretty tenuous, but it's a first for him not to even make the attempt.

Also, I'm fairly sure this isn't the first time Mark's t-shirt collection has been mentioned. At least, I remember him mentioning somehwere that there was something that he wouldn't have room for if they were all clean simultaneously.

EDIT: That might have been in an interview over on SCG, now that I think about it some more.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Most of these T-shirts are for events. I don't really care about events. I used to care about Prereleases, but since WOTC killed "large prereleases" (aka "fun prereleases"), I don't really care about them any more (particularly because of how WOTC Europe gave such a large finger to everyone turning up for the London New Phyrexia prerelease, ostensibly before large prereleases were actually to die). 

So, yeah, not really anything much interesting in this one. Not much about Magic design, not even anything much new about MaRo and R&D.

Ah well. It's fine; not every article is for me, just like not every card is for me. I'll probably skip week 2... well, okay, no, I'll skim it. But in the meantime I'll be looking forward to some actual Magic content next week. 
Wow, that was a lot of negative commentary.

I enjoyed the article as somewhat of a history lesson - kind of like what "The Week That Was" could be at times, before BDM discovered Commander.

I regret that I don't often wear T-shirts that express myself very much any more.  So good on MaRo for keeping up his T-shirt collection.
I don't mind this as a one-off "nostalgia" article, but seriously this is a 2-parter?  I got bored after #19, and I've been playing magic long enough to actually know these tournaments. I can't imagine how irrelevant the majority of magic players found this...

Especially on a day with no other article. I've never spent so little time on this site in a workday.
Nice Ponch :P

Ponch
I just wanted to say thanks for the memories on T-Shirt #15!

I was at that Ice Age Tournament. I was a huge magic fan, and I ended up missing one of my best friends 15th Birthday Party for this tournament. It was horribly put together and a logistic nightmare.

I remember there was really no indication of what was coming and the muffled whispers of "OMG they reprinted the Icy!" as people opened up their packs.

I subsequently got eliminated pretty quickly, cause I was a kid, didn't know what I was doing and was sorely overhwelmed with the spectacle of the event. I ended up buying a berserk for my best friend for his birthday that day which back then was a 30-40 dollar card. And managed to make his party before the day ended!

Thanks for reminding me about that! My cards were stolen in highschool back in 97 and I quit, only to get back in to it 10 years later! And I'm more addicted than ever these days!
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
I agree that turning this into a two-parter is stretching it. It's a "funny one-off", but I like the coloumns about design better. Looking forward to the one about Core Sets next week though.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

Holy Awful Batman.

I never publicly comment on Mark's articles, but I read everyone.  This is the only one in the memorable past that I felt the need to point out that I was completely and utterly disappointed by this.  WTH does this have to do with Making Magic?

NOTHING!!!!  NOTHING!!!!

I invented the Piano Key Neck Tie!

Please Mark (I know you read these), don't waste a valuable article spot on the Top Ten, put it in Arcana where it belongs.

I normally look forward to Mark's articles every week, as of now I won't even open it in two weeks.

ATTENTION WIZARDS OF THE COAST: You have full rights to use any of my intellectual property found on these boards (I'm not going to use it and it'd be a shame to waste it). -Dr. Stinkyjoeterry, Ph.D.
While the giant Grand Prix was being run upstairs in what I believe was the hottest room to have ever hosted a Magic tournament, at least one I attended, downstairs, the Magic Invitational was being run in the only air-conditioned room in the entire building.

I normally wouldn't believe that a place hosting such an event would only have a single air-conditioned room, but living in Rio myself, I can totally picture this.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
That was a nice read! Thanks for sharing that with us!!
I've long since stopped thinking of this column as strictly a design column, and more of a "what Mark's fevered brain is thinking about this week" column. Does seem odd to not have a core set column, but that's coming next week. 

I wouldn't min more subtle Magic t-shirts to wear. Something with just the artwork, and if it has to have Magic: The Gathering printed on it somewhere, make sure it's small and inconspicuous. 

Also wouldn't mind a polo nice enough to wear to work with a little Phyrexian symbol, or that five-claw thing on the chest instead of the little alligator icon.  
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
I wasn't going to comment originally, but since Mark asked for feedback on his Twitter account, here goes:

The fake reveal turned me off from the start; humor is obviously subjective, but I just thought it was in bad taste.  Then, the pictures themselves are unattractive (again, probably intended to be funny, but didn't work for me).  Some of the anecdotes were interesting/amusing, but none really illuminated something fundamental about game design or Magic design, and this is supposed to be a design column.  Past experimental columns always tied into design in some way.

This is not intended to be a knock on off-beat columns in general; I loved the column on memory, as well as the Roseanne columns. This one just didn't work for me, but it obviously did for others.  Those that didn't like it can simply skip part 2. It's not like we're starved for content at the moment.

That said, I would like Part 2 better if you used each shirt to tell a design story.  For example, you liked one of the shirts because it was a card you designed.  Is there an interesting story behind that card?  What led it to be selected for a shirt?  Do you consciously design certain cards to work particularly well visually?  Maybe you can't do this for all of them, but as much as you can would help.  It's also okay to just abandon the idea, or put it on your Tumblr site.
Ok, every Monday, I seriously expect an article about Magic design. And I'm disappointed.

Magic *graphic* design? >_> Yeah, it's a stretch.

The fake reveal was rather poor taste. "Out of the Closet", that joke is okay. But the whole heartstring-tugging lead-in, wasn't very nice.

(While we're at it, the first set of special cards linked from all-star studded is missing?)
I only have my 3 pro tour ones from last season. wish i had some of those.

second of note is that id prefer a design article on monday and not a hey i have t shirts article. this could have been put on the forums or something
Well, as much as I liked the article, and I expect him to go off base (he's the Alton Brown of WotC), I can agree this would be better as a single article with all 20 than splitting off the top 10 for another week.
Well at least he isn't breaking it up into three parts like with Rosanne. (Then again, the Rosanne saga at least pretended to have pertinent design content.) As for him skipping the design article for not one, but two different weeks, I say the same thing I always do: if you are taking the week off give someone else a pen. There's a new Magic set due out this week or so I am told. I figure there should be something to talk about.

Also, count me in as finding the lead-in and title in poor taste. It's not a hangable offense, but it is a little disappointing to say the least.   
I show up to read design articles. I don't hate reading articles about your personal life when mingled with design.

Not sure why you decided a blog post should go up here, and hoping part two either mysteriously vanishes, is part of a double-up, or is even pretending to have something to do with what your column is about.
I wouldn't min more subtle Magic t-shirts to wear. Something with just the artwork, and if it has to have Magic: The Gathering printed on it somewhere, make sure it's small and inconspicuous.

For this reason the coolest of the ten was the Phyrexian Symbol one. It was (uh-oh) elegant. There, I said it.

if you are taking the week off give someone else a pen. There's a new Magic set due out this week or so I am told. I figure there should be something to talk about.

Exactly! We're very eager to hear about M12. If this was a period with no news, this off-beat might be less offensive. As it is, I'd rather Mark had let one of the designers on the set write this week's MM.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I will also add that the lead in was in poor taste. I pretty much stopped reading after that intro. Perhaps the article after that was amazing but I was turned off by the lead in and then found myself asking the question: Why would I care about someone's T-Shirt collection? I instead went to another site to read articles about Magic.

The fake reveal was rather poor taste. "Out of the Closet", that joke is okay. But the whole heartstring-tugging lead-in, wasn't very nice.

(While we're at it, the first set of special cards linked from all-star studded is missing?)

The whole situation could be smelt a mile away :P.

Anyway, I get Mark's position. He's that middleman, the friendly guy that talks to you so much about MtG that eventually it leads into his stories about stuff related to MtG. And in some sense, that's discussing Making Magic, because community and being social is a part of MtG that makes us continue playing it.

It serves as a way to relate to people, but it makes friends, and friends talk about more than MtG for years until you move to that new job and leave it all behind because you realize you don't care about the scene because you never were really involved with them.

So Mark's trying to keep the game friendly in article-form, which isn't a piece of cake when players demand specific stories.

Maybe there should be more feedback, though. Maybe he should do polls about what topics he's thinking of writing about and let's us vote and avoid what we're least interested in for as long as possible. 

Also, count me in as finding the lead-in and title in poor taste. It's not a hangable offense, but it is a little disappointing to say the least.   

Really? Wow, some thin skin around here, and I'm usually the touchy-feeling, politically correct, hippy-dippy, always worried about people's feelings liberal-type.

Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

I’ve removed content from this thread because harassment is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.

Method Actor 100% Storyteller 100% Butt Kicker 50% Tactician 50% Power Gamer 25% Specialist 25% Casual Gamer 25% The Code of Conduct is: http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1916 To contact Customer Service: http://wizards.custhelp.com
Really? Wow, some thin skin around here, and I'm usually the touchy-feeling, politically correct, hippy-dippy, always worried about people's feelings liberal-type.

Agreed. Knowing MaRo, my first thought on reading the intro was "No way he's gay after an intro like that--what's he up to this time?"

I only own one Magic-specific shirt--it's plain white, and the front has the image of the back of a spread hand of cards while the back shows the faces of those cards. Sadly, it's so faded now that it's impossible to tell what the cards are (I remember one is the original Drudge Skeletons), and it's gone ratty enough I can't really wear it in public any more without looking like a hobo.

My other WotC shirt is the dark green "Roll (D6) for witty slogan" one Wizards created for the boards' UnCon celebration, back when we still had it. It's not Magic-specific, but it's still my favorite gaming shirt.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I'm with milo on this one. 

I mean, you've pretty much got to be actively looking for something to be offended by in order to get all hot and bothered by this.

My reaction to the article is that while I can appreciate a t-shirt collection, and I generally enjoy mark's writing more when it doesn't concern itself quite so much with magic design, I felt this was a little...overindulgent.

I also agree with those who have suggested that, perhaps the next time Mark feels like writing about something extremely off-topic for his column he could let someone write a guest column. Not necessarily because I don't want to read any off-topic articles, but because I think it would be really interesting to see Ken Nagle (just as an example)'s thoughts on magic design as it relates to the most recent set, whatever that may be.

In any event, I'm envious of the Phi shirt. 
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
To the people who are suggesting others shouldn't get offended by Mark's lead-in: There's a difference between being offended and thinking something is inappropriate and/or unnecessary. It's unnecessary to write a whole article talking about your T-Shirts but I'm not offended by it, I'm just not interested in reading an article about it.

Gerry T had the same problem over on Star City Premium with one of his articles - the article might've been great (it wasn't) but he started off by alienating a large percentage of his readership. Paulo had the same problem over on Channel Fireball with a couple of his recent articles. Was anyone MEANING to upset people? Probably not. But just to be clear, I don't think it's a good idea to say that the people who didn't like Jace/Stoneforge Mystic are whining newbs or that women can't play Magic or to fake lead-in that you're gay and whoops no I'm not! So as I was saying, it is more about good writing: if something doesn't add to your piece but might take away from it, why have it in there?

I'm sure he felt pretty clever (just as Gerry T and Paulo did with their comments/jokes) but in the long run, it just wasn't worth it. While writing a good lead-in is part of the craft, it's just a waste if the rest of the article is uninteresting and it's also a waste if you're going to risk offending a certain percentage of your readership unnecessarily.

Also, I wouldn't poke fun of anyone that is offended by articles with comments such as these. It may be hard to accept but people do have varying degrees of comfort and sensitivity. A good writer and a good person respects that. I would not have to go far to justify an offended reaction to his lead-in. All I would really have to think is that Mark is poking fun and making light of something that is understandably very hard for gay people: coming out. One of the reasons that coming out is so hard is because they're afraid of being poked fun and made light of. Do you get what I did there?

People are different and we have to embrace these differences even if we don't always understand them. I never argue with someone who is offended by what I say even if I don't understand why. I just respect that their feelings are hurt and make things right by apologizing and trying not to offend them again. The attitude that people are too sensitive makes it okay to hurt their feelings. Sometimes it does seem that people are offended by whatever we do but I don't believe that is the case here: Mark had nearly an infinite amount of possibilities for a lead-in, offending people here was totally avoidable.
I can understand why people would think it inappropriate. In fact, I'm not completely sure I'm not a little bit taken back by the inappropriateness of the lead-in myself. Definitely not "funny".
All I can think about now is what the reaction would have been like if he'd actually announced he was gay.
i surprises me that so many people feel mark's intro was in bad taste, but it just goes to show that people take things differently.

for what it's worth, i am gay and i felt mildly glad because of mark's intro; it felt like a small nod of acknowledgement of our existence. (it always feels nice when people i admire acknowledge various aspects of my identity, and especially my sexual orientation, since it isn't completely accepted by western society as a whole).
` or, upon re-reading it just now, i do notice that the intro acknoweldges not just my existence as a gay man, but also just how nerve-wracking it is to come out. perhaps that's part of what made me feel mildly glad when i first read it.
` at any rate, it didn't seem at all offensive to me, and in fact just the opposite.

i do agree that the lead-in was slightly overdone -- but probably only because it sounded like he was promising a "very personal column" (ie the very type of columns that are my favourite of mark's) ; i had to curb my dissapointment when i (very quickly) realized it was just a joke, and that no very personal column was forthcoming.

for what it's worth, i was kind of dissapointed with the content, too; this column didn't seem to have the stuff that makes his more personal articles enjoyable to me, nor what makes his more technical "on designing magic" articles enjoyable to me. but, *shrug* not every article is one i have to like, and to be fair, articles on magic history feel to me like fair game for his column.
All I can think about now is what the reaction would have been like if he'd actually announced he was gay.

A lot of angry reactions from people who expect a pun in his title every week =(

I was disappointed in the joke because it didn't live up. Okay, so you're using the gay thing as the pun. What's the counterweight? ....T-shirt hoarder.... not that catchy.
i surprises me that so many people feel mark's intro was in bad taste, but it just goes to show that people take things differently.
 [...] since [homosexuality] isn't completely accepted by western society as a whole).

It will be, one day. Mark my words.

As for the article, come to think of it, I'd probably find it more distasteful if he really was coming out of the closet - why he would deign to make such a significant announcement through something as trivial as a magic design column. It seems like it would cheapen the fact. Not to mention whether he had revealed this to his wife beforehand so it wouldn't reach her ears in such a fashion.

You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
Sign In to post comments