One thing WotC is doing right, one thing WotC is doing wrong.

81 posts / 0 new
Last post
Right: Working on a new edition- just kidding. The Monster Vaults are a great concept and are well made. They make it easier to bring in new blooded DMs.

Wrong: I was going to say constantly updating the game but, no, I think a bigger mistake was canceling DDM. There is a market out there and DDM appealed to them strongly. Combining DDM with Monster Vaults is a win-win scenario for everyone.

Hire Steven Townsend- his work on Monster Vault: Nentir Vale was a godsend. If he was a devil- I'd rank him as a Pit Fiend!

Peter Lee- Minis Lord, bring us back DDM, and deliver us from evil.
Right: Regular errata, despite all the "Baaaw, they nerfed my favorite toy!" wails.

Wrong: The math holes still haven't been errataed. 
Right:   DM Resources -  MV, tile sets, maps, counters, etc.

Wrong:  Player Resources - HotFL, HotFK, HoS, CC articles (the whole 'opened design space' of Essentials+ as it aplies to classes), feats, magic items, fortune cards.

Could be better:  There are lots of detailed campaign settings, keep re-publishing and expanding them instead of locking in stuff for Points of Light.  PoL is a nice default precisely because it was generic and open for the DM to build on.  Also, more printed adventures, complete with maps and counters.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Right: New Designs, and ongoing Errata to keep everything balanced

Wrong: Dragon Articles should be in the character builder sooner (I forget some things by the time they finally show up in the character builder)

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Right: 4th Edition

Wrong: DDI  

Celebrate our differences.

Right: listening to community feedback about the templar changes.  They made changes that people didn't like for good reasons, but listened to us and the cleric now is a solid leader.

Wrong: No longer compiliing Dragon and Dungeon articles.  They changed this because of piracy concerns is my guess, but have chosen not to go back on their annoying decision.
Right:
The Monster Vault model of releasing monster compendiums.  Tightening up on the number of campaign worlds that are in production at any given. 4th edition except for most of Essentials.

Wrong:
Cancelling player resources such as Arcane Power 2, etc.  By cutting back on player resources and making their published books highly specific towards either Dungeon Master's or Player's WOTC seems to have shot themselves in the foot.    The majority of gamers are players not DMs so by cancelling player resources and making Dungeon Master books solely tailored to the DM, unlike in previous editions were DM and Player resources had content useful to both (for example in 3rd/3.5 the DMG had all the base prestige classes in it so even if a player wasn't interested in being a DM he had incentive to by the book), WOTC has made is so that the majority of their base has no reason to purchase a book.  As a player who regularly dropped money on DnD every month I can say the only book I purchased this year was Heroes of Shadow, which I was disappointed in because of the Essentials format of the characters.  This is the reason that Paizo according to this:

www.enworld.org/forum/news/308175-pathfi...

Article published 7/5/2011 has been allowed to rival or outsell WOTC in terms of Table top rpg books.  It isn't because Pathfinder/DnD 3.5 was better than 4th edition DnD (they are not in my opinion), but rather because WOTC isn't really producing anything for the majority of their customer base.

Peace,
Fallstorm
Right: Errata to fix wording, typos, damage loops, etc.
Wrong: Errata for the sake of errata (See beat up cleric in the corner).

EDIT: Woops didn't realize I posted both.
Right:everything

Wrong:ummm i may come back to this, oh i know now...not having the Class Compendium come out as a book and not adding shadow to all classes only a few of them
Right--4th Edition

Wrong--Communication, specifically doubling down on the vague corporate-speak when clarity and honesty was what the community needed.
...whatever
I agree with TCO above:

Right: 4th Edition (all of it, I even have grown to like a lot of the Essentials stuff.)

Wrong: Communication.  I think this more than anything has contributed to splitting the fanbase and a lot of the hate/negativity around here in the last year. 
Yes, the latest book/release that you don't like is a blatant attempt by Wizards of the Coast to make money off the fanbase. They all are. That's kinda the point of the Free Enterprise system, companies are in it to make money...
Show
69889855 wrote:
You can't! I tried... and the next night masked men came into my house and beat me until I burned up my ranger character sheet and rolled a scout. They told me... if I ever thought of making a non-essential character that they would kill mitsy..... OH GOD THEY ARE COMING BACK AND ARE FORCING ME TO BUY HEROES OF SHADOWS! SOMEONE STOP THEM PLEASE!
58321818 wrote:
Your DM is your friend. He's not trying to screw with you, or dick you around. Play your character how your character would act. Accept that your character won't always be able to do what he's best at, but also know that as a goddamn HERO, he's gonna try to do his best at what he can do. Roleplay your goddamn character, make the decisions he would make, and roll appropriately. Everything will be fine.
57025236 wrote:
But filling a post with vitriol, hate-filled comments, like "these people should be fired", swearing at us or other ambiguous members of the company - there really is no reason for that. Please share your feedback respectfully, and consider how you would share your ideas if this were a face to face conversation between real people, not faceless names on a screen.
If you see me posting in a thread about editions or Essentials (that isn't simply a rules thread or similar) remind me that I'm trying to stay away from them. (My blood pressure will thank us both.)
Right: Comics in DDI (they're giving us lots of 'em even... awesome!)
Wrong: Fortune Cards
Right: Having bought and publishing books for a game I love and have been enjoying for so many years that it's not even funny anymore to count.

Wrong: As long as I will have the option of buying the physical core books and maybe some expansions I will be happy. Going fully digital on an edition will loose me as a customer. In the meantime I'm having fun with the books I have and will buy again the core books for a next edition. DDi is fine with me, as long as it's not the only option.
-Realize You are your own source of all Creation, of your own master plan.
Right:  Making action economy balanced in the game between players. This had a lot of beneficial derivitve ideas.

Wrong: Virtual Table vaporware. With the reliance of "the grid" for combat and all the conditional modifiers it seems somewhat obvious this game was meant to be played with the assistance of some software. I wouldn't play it without Maptools or an equivalent. 
Right: Design and Philosophy behind the design is both forward thinking and intuitive.

Wrong:  Execution of that concept falls short in too many areas and overly focuses on both combat.

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

RIGHT -- Essentials, though I might be one of the only ones. Having a simpler, 'straight line' variant of the top classes for newer players for for quick play situations was a good idea. It also reminded me of the good ol Basic D&D (and based on the Red Box for it, the designers as well).

WRONG -- The way they communicated Essentials, and how it would work and what role it served in 4e, to both the players and the retailers. Also, the format for the two "Heroes of the _________ _______" books was a poor choice (though I like that format for the others). Those books should have been one book, rather than reprining half of each and splitting up the classes and races across two books. Maybe it should have been hardcover as well, that's debatable, but it should have been at least a regular sized softcover at least. With both books in one.
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
Right - Themes

Wrong - No eBooks.
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
Right: Having bought and publishing books for a game I love and have been enjoying for so many years that it's not even funny anymore to count.

Wrong: As long as I will have the option of buying the physical core books and maybe some expansions I will be happy. Going fully digital on an edition will loose me as a customer. In the meantime I'm having fun with the books I have and will buy again the core books for a next edition. DDi is fine with me, as long as it's not the only option.

I absolutely agree on both accounts.
Right: Offline Character/Monster Builder
Wrong: Online Character/Monster Builder
Right: Offline Character/Monster Builder
Wrong: Online Character/Monster Builder

Unfortunately the offline tools where illegally shared and used to completely replace the books with a one month subscription a few times per year.
The online versions are part of the virtual tabletop, which is currently in beta testing.
Think you can survive a zombie attack? Click here to find out.

It Came From Section Four!
Warning: Posts my contain evil.

Orc in the House of Trolls
Right: Design and Philosophy behind the design is both forward thinking and intuitive.

I agree with this.

Wrong:  Forgotten Realms

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
Right: slow improvements to Character Builder
Wrong: releasing a "beta" version of the product in the first place

Right: releasing products like Threat to the Nentir Vale and Conques of Nerath that give us more Core fluff
Wrong: releasing a Neverwinter Campaign book

Right: updating PHB1 classes and releasing them online for free
Wrong: not putting said articles into a compiled thing once called Dragon, i.e., Dragon as a publication is dead and that saddens me

Right: the new monster format
Wrong: the Monster Builder 
Right: Monitoring the balance of the game and issuing updates.
Wrong: Not banhammering edition warriors.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Recently:

Right -- DM's resources.  Monster Vault(s), Tokens, Dungeon Tiles, Shadowfell box set = win, win, win!

Wrong -- Player's resources.  HoS was not a strong enough follow up to the 2 Essentials "Heroes of..." books.  Took too long to come out, was not very robust and now there is another long wait until its sister product that will probably mirror it's design closely.
Wrong: not putting said articles into a compiled thing once called Dragon, i.e., Dragon as a publication is dead and that saddens me

Man, I still miss the oDragon.  The eDragon just doesnt cut it.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
Right: ensuring game balance (only of the squeakiest wheels though) through considered and regular updates, online tools (but no stand-alone counterparts? of any kind?). The website itself is pretty ok but it's still not particularly intuitive or cohesive.

Wrong: Essentials - I don't care that it is or isn't another edition, a point edition, an add-on, option or any other kind of implementation -  it's the planning, reasoning and incredibly incompetent implementation which I object to and that it only serves to tinker with and muddy one (albeit important) aspect of the game, without consideration for the rest - it could actually have been very good, if it was done professionally.

Where campaign material is concerned we've seen precious little and what they have published is nearly entirely lifted from previous books and provides *less* information and quality!?

There's precious little innovation and where there is innovation it's just  thrown into the game to land where it may (though there is some token effort to rectify some of the mess by adding more errata).
Feats are prime example, they're an absolute mire of marginally useful through totally deprecated but still present, hugely overpowered and some, famously like polearm momentum open up an entire arm of gameplay.

There are over thirty classes listed in the Character Builder, many with the same names or slightly different names but styles (which are functionally and thematically nearly identical) of the same class and the support & development for them varies more dramatically than I can describe - I can for example understand the attraction of adding the Vampire (or something like it) but to just create the sketch that it is and walk away is simply irresponsible; this pattern of only developing some classes and ignoring others is the antithesis of professional - if you can't handle the workload, plan for it up front and build a structure which you can support.

Dungeon & Dragon magazines.... where's the content? Where are the meaty game & story development articles and discussions - DnD is the game that nearly every game maker (and many novelists) in the world points to and says (ok, not literally) "thats what got me into the business and taught me what's most important". I'd be surprised if any consider DnD worth even browsing these days. Where are the articles on story structure, character concepts & challenges, adventures and adventure creation and development - ie: the craft of making great games

Online Tools - they're a good idea and some progress has been made... but how long have they been Beta? Entire game companies and their franchised works have come and gone in the time it's taken WoTC to put together a few databases. Where's the support for third parties to take over or even just a back-end database that they might leverage?
In fact, come to think of it - where are the iPhone/andriod apps, what on earth *are* WoTC doing?

There's no plan that I can discern for the business going forward, no word on how they'll work with other game companies or even if they've got a clue about their place in the game industry and just as importantly their branding - the DnD brand in general has become very vague & as best I can tell the 'new direction' is to rely almost entirely on the 'glory days' of its inception, when it was most primitive and innovative (by nature of being released, more than 30 years ago now).

Relevance, you're losing it and looking to the past to regain it  Sealed
Right: 4E in general. DDi

Wrong: Removing Dragon/Dungeon Magazines Compilations.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Right: 4E.  All of it, including Essentials (especially the Mage).

Wrong: No Dragonlance 4E.

Right: DDI

Wrong: The rate of release of the products.  We got too much too fast.  Now we are paying for that with an overly spread out release schedule.        
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!

I was trying not to go there but I agree.  Although a banhammer may not be strong enough.  Possibly a banthermonucleardevice.
Yes, the latest book/release that you don't like is a blatant attempt by Wizards of the Coast to make money off the fanbase. They all are. That's kinda the point of the Free Enterprise system, companies are in it to make money...
Show
69889855 wrote:
You can't! I tried... and the next night masked men came into my house and beat me until I burned up my ranger character sheet and rolled a scout. They told me... if I ever thought of making a non-essential character that they would kill mitsy..... OH GOD THEY ARE COMING BACK AND ARE FORCING ME TO BUY HEROES OF SHADOWS! SOMEONE STOP THEM PLEASE!
58321818 wrote:
Your DM is your friend. He's not trying to screw with you, or dick you around. Play your character how your character would act. Accept that your character won't always be able to do what he's best at, but also know that as a goddamn HERO, he's gonna try to do his best at what he can do. Roleplay your goddamn character, make the decisions he would make, and roll appropriately. Everything will be fine.
57025236 wrote:
But filling a post with vitriol, hate-filled comments, like "these people should be fired", swearing at us or other ambiguous members of the company - there really is no reason for that. Please share your feedback respectfully, and consider how you would share your ideas if this were a face to face conversation between real people, not faceless names on a screen.
If you see me posting in a thread about editions or Essentials (that isn't simply a rules thread or similar) remind me that I'm trying to stay away from them. (My blood pressure will thank us both.)

I was trying not to go there but I agree.  Although a banhammer may not be strong enough.  Possibly a banthermonucleardevice.

There is something better. Some forums have a ghost status, where a moderator may place a status on the troll which lets the troll post, but hides the posts from everyone else on the forum. The troll keeps posting and never knows why nobody ever replies.
...whatever

There is something better. Some forums have a ghost status, where a moderator may place a status on the troll which lets the troll post, but hides the posts from everyone else on the forum. The troll keeps posting and never knows why nobody ever replies.

YES PLEASE!!!
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT

That.
Is.
AWESOME.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

That.
Is.
AWESOME.

And yes the mods here have it... though I think i heard it called moderated as it usually means a delay not a full suspension of your posts appearance.. .unless well your posts are against CoC

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Right: 2008-mid 2010
Wrong: mid 2010-present

That's an oversimplification.  I like the concept of a monster book with tokens, and I like the new monster math.  I dislike the fact that the higher monster damage and lower monster HP has come alongside player defense power creep and damage nerfs, making the whole exercise rather pointless in the end, but meh.  I don't mind the Essentials classes, in theory, but as an excuse to give us half-assed classes like the Vampire and the Binder, not so much.
Right: Monster vault flavour

Wrong: Allowing paladins to hit people with charisma  (and similar abstractions). Also Epic Tier.

That.
Is.
AWESOME.

And yes the mods here have it... though I think i heard it called moderated as it usually means a delay not a full suspension of your posts appearance.. .unless well your posts are against CoC

What would be nice also is if it was forum specific.

Some of the people that are...  problematic... in this forum are actually helpful and involved in others. No reason to ban them from all of them, just the ones they cause issues in for people.

Heck, I've asked if they could impliment a 'block forum' feature, that let you block a forum like a person, so you could block the forums that piss you off and avoid temptation to read them anyway.
Right: DM material, tiles, monster vaults and new monster stat block, dm guilds!!!

Wrong: changing formats of books 3 times Hard and large, small and soft, now large and soft, and the change in tokens from awesome monster one side, bloddied on the other, to monster one side to dark name tag on the other side...
In the Nentir Vale, all injured creatures are required to wear a name tag!
Right: 4E

Wrong: Elimination of PDF sales. 
Right: 4E. Essentials. All-in-one box sets. Board Games for the off days.

Wrong: Format changes, Hardbacks -> Softbacks -> Hardbacks, Minis -> Tokens of different standards; makes for an ugly shelf.
Right: Balanced classes, exciting combats, excellent approach to monsters (with the new formulas), updates to keep things balanced and cohesive, easy to DM, dungeon tiles, rules compendium, boardgames

Wrong: Poor corporate communication and PR, fortune cards, occasional combat grind, monster builder, lack of compelling adventures, no compilation of magazines, lack of paragon and epic support, unsupported classes, cancelling DDM, little or no involvement from WotC staff in online forums

I would personally love to see WotC focus on better adventures rather than on more rules. There is no reason they can't compete with Paizo in the adventure category if they are willing to really invest in this and reach out to new talent.
Right: The grand plethora of player and DM options, including those which add new optional layers to the game (Themes are fantastic, and fortune cards kick ass. All the whining about fortune cards is absolute absurd bollocks). If the game was still barely more than the first three books, I would have gone back to other games by now.

Wrong: Undersupporting certain options/parts of the game, especially when there are many people wanting to make use of them. (Looking especially at the Oassassin, Epic teir, the artificer...)
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome