Double blocking?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Say I have an 15/15 with trample attacking and someone declared their blockers as a 2/14 and a 6/7.  How would the situation work?
You would get to choose the blocking order for the creatures. If you put the 6/7 first, you'd have to assign 7 damage to the 6/7 and could split the remaining 8 between the 6/7 and the 2/14. If you put the 2/14 first, then you'd have to assign 14 damage to the 2/14 and the remaining 1 damage to the 2/14 or to the 6/7. No matter what though, you will not be able to assign any damage to the defending player.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Say I have an 15/15 with trample attacking and someone declared their blockers as a 2/14 and a 6/7.  How would the situation work?

You would choose how to assign the damage between the two blockers.  You wouldn't be able to assign damage to the second blocker until you assigned at least lethal damage to the first one.  You wouldn't be able to assign damage to the player unless you asssigned at least lethal damage to all blockers.  (lethal damage is the amount of damage equal to the toughness, minus any damage already marked on the creature)

So, since the blockers have combined toughness more than your attacker's power, you won't be able to assign any damage to the player or planeswalker you are attacking.

I'm going to bump this to keep my question on the same thread

If I get to choose how to assign the damage, could I assign 7 to the 6/7, and the rest as trample damage?
I'm going to bump this to keep my question on the same thread

don't
make a new thread if you have a new question, old threads don't show up in the news feeds many of us use
If I get to choose how to assign the damage, could I assign 7 to the 6/7, and the rest as trample damage?

you need to assign lethal damage to all blockers, after that you can trample over to the player or planeswalker (this was changed in some rules update, don't ask me when)
proud member of the 2011 community team
you need to assign lethal damage to all blockers, after that you can trample over to the player or planeswalker (this was changed in some rules update, don't ask me when)

Not a recent change, this was changed when Urzas Saga was released prior to the 6th edition rules overhaul.

M10 set up the blocking order because combat damage no longer used the stack, but the assigning damage to all blockers before damage can be assigned to the  player isn't new.
MTG Rules Advisor
yeah, it was a pretty old change, way before my time
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments