My thread for constantly asking stupid questions over and over! Please help me!

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I do not understand the Feats...I may have that wrong. I do not understand the "Level 1 At-Will Exploits".

Here are my details.

Level 1 Dwarf
Fighter
16 STR
15 CON
11 DEX
14 INT
14 WIS
10 CHA   

So back to the "Level 1 At-Will Exploits"

I choose ONE correct? a Human can choose 2?

Ok, so lets say I choose "Sure Strike". Does this mean I can never choose any of the other 3 "At-Will Exploits"? Or can I change my mind and use a different one every "Day"?

Also, does that mean every attack I make is going to have the Sure Strike bonus's?

If I'm reading this right, I should have:

+3 Strength, +2 Proficiency, +2 for the Sure Strike"

For every attack role I make with my Axe? That is +7?                   

At character creation, you pick two At-Will powers (exploits in fighter's case). You get those two and keep them throughout your career. When you level up, you have the option of retraining a power out for a different one. So, you could pick Sure Strike, and let's say Cleave.

And no, you only get the bonus from Sure Strike when you actually use the exploit in combat. Let's see, you're actually off assuming you chose Two-Handed Weapons as your Fighter Weapon Speciality. That would increase the attack bonus by 1, making it +8 when you use Sure Strike. However, a regular melee basic attack will only be a +6 (+3 Str, +2 Proficiency, +1 Fighter).
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.

Makes much more sense since there are only two Ability spots under Attack work space.

Ok. So, This is how it looks:

ABILITY: SURE STRIKE 

ATT BONUS      1/2LVL     ABIL     CLASS     PROF     FEAT   ENH     MISC
        +7                 0          +2                        +2                               +3 (Strength)

Makes much more sense since there are only two Ability spots under Attack work space.

Ok. So, This is how it looks:

ABILITY: SURE STRIKE 

ATT BONUS      1/2LVL     ABIL     CLASS     PROF     FEAT   ENH     MISC
        +7                 0          +2                        +2                               +3 (Strength)

Fighter Weapon Talents grants a +1 to hit with weapons of a certain type. You're not including that. And for what's its worth, Strength would go under ABIL since that stands for ability score. +1 (FWT) would be under class and MISC would ahve the two for Sure Strike.

Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
Awesome, thank you Wolf
So how do you calculate the damage?

It says "1[W] + Strength modifier damage. 

W is a D8, correct? So I roll 1 D8 +3

Right?  
So how do you calculate the damage?

It says "1[W] + Strength modifier damage. 

W is a D8, correct? So I roll 1 D8 +3

Right?  

Correct, assuming your first Feat isn't something like Weapon Focus that increases damage.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I don't see any "Feats" for level 1. Am I missing this?

Yes, every character gets one Feat at first level (Humans get two).
First, you're mixing two things here.

"Feats" are one set of things. You get to pick one at level 1. A human would get to pick two.

"Powers" are a separate set of things, and have class-specific names (that don't get used much in discussion). "Exploits" is the class-specific name for Fighter powers.

Now that the terminology is out of the way...

As a PHB Fighter, you get to pick TWO level-1 at-will attack powers from your class at level 1. A Human would get to pick THREE. This is also true of most other classes. (And there's a newer option where humans get to do something else instead of getting the third power.)

You can use your two at-will attack powers at will. Most likely they will both be standard-action attacks. You can use one every round, round after round, or switch back and forth between them as often as you like. (In the right circumstances you might be able to use one or both more often than that, but I don't want to get into that level of complexity right now.)

If you decide you didn't make the right choice of two at-will attack powers, there is a retraining option. Each time you level up, in addition to whatever you gain at that level, you can replace ONE old power or feat (not one of each) with a new choice. For powers, the new choice must be of the same type (at-will, encounter, daily, or utility) and of the power-slot's level or lower. For feats, you must qualify for the new feat at the time you retrain into it. Either way, if a power or feat is needed to meet the prerequisites for something (anything) else on your character sheet, you can't retrain out of it.

At level 1 you will also pick one level-1 encounter attack power and one level-1 daily attack power from your class. This is the same for all races, and all PHB1/PHB2 classes plus some other classes.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
OK I see that. Strange how some things get charted and others are just in paragraphs.

.....dumb reading  

To pick your feat, you have to go to the section for feats and pick one from the Heroic Teir list, assuming you meet all prerequisites. For example, Toughness or Durable.
OK I see that. Strange how some things get charted and others are just in paragraphs.

.....dumb reading  

PHB, pg 29.  It's all right there.
So "Feats" are At-Will/Encounter/Daily?

Feats are none of those things.  They are benefits that are always in effect.  You don't have to choose when you use them - they just happen always. 

The exception would be the case where taking a particular feat grants you a power.  If that happens, the power and how often you can use it will be explained in the description of the feat. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

For refrence the heroic tier feat list in the players handbook 1 are on page 196-197.  This gives a breif explanition of each feat, the full descriptions are on pages 193-207.

The powers that you choose are listed after the class description, an easy way to tell what a power is (at-will, encounter or daily) is to just check the colored bar at the top of each power listed.  It will be green for at-will, red for encounter, and gray for daily.

Some examples of cleric powers: 

Level 1 at-will prayer:  Lance of Faith on page 63.

Level 1 Encounter prayer:  Cause Fear also on page 63.

Level 1 Daily Prayr:  Avenging Flame on page 64.

Hope that helps ya.
Feats do things like grant you bonuses to hit, increase your HP or number of healing surges, change what you can do with your powers, make you able to use better weapons, that sort of thing.  Most of them make a change to something which is in effect for the entire time you have that feat. 

Take Weapon Focus, for instance - it adds 1 to the static part of your damage when using that weapon.  So instead of 1[W]+ your strength modifier, you'd roll 1[W]+ your Strength modifier +1 for weapon focus whenever you're using the weapon group that you chose (at level 11, you instead add 2, and at level 21, 3).

Similarly, Durable adds 2 to your number of healing surges.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
So can a level 1 Dwarf Fighter wear Scale Armor? Or do I have to take the "Feat" aka Armor Proficiency (Scale)???

all fighters are proficient with scale in 4e

Fighter (Weaponmaster)

CLASS TRAITS

Role: Defender. Tough and resilient, you use tactical cunning and battle prowess to contain the enemy and protect your allies.
Power Source: Martial.
Key Abilities: Strength; Dexterity, Wisdom, or Constitution

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, scale; heavy shields, light shields.
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged, military ranged.
Bonus to Defense: +2 Fortitude.

Hit Points at 1st Level: 15+ Constitution Score.
Hit Points per Level Gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 9+ Constitution Modifier.

Trained Skills: From the class skills list below, choose 3 trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Athletics (Str), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Streetwise (Cha).

Build Options: Arena Fighter, Battlerager Fighter, Brawling Fighter, Great Weapon Fighter, Guardian Fighter, Tempest Fighter.
Class features: Combat Agility, Combat Challenge, Combat Superiority, Fighter Talents.

I do not understand the Feats...I may have that wrong. I do not understand the "Level 1 At-Will Exploits".

Here are my details.

Level 1 Dwarf
Fighter
16 STR
15 CON
11 DEX
14 INT
14 WIS
10 CHA   

So back to the "Level 1 At-Will Exploits"

I choose ONE correct? a Human can choose 2?

Choose 2 at-will.  A human can choose a 3rd.
Ok, so lets say I choose "Sure Strike". Does this mean I can never choose any of the other 3 "At-Will Exploits"? Or can I change my mind and use a different one every "Day"?

You can change your mind and re-train any one choice made for your character when you level up.  So, at 2nd, you could re-train Sure Strike for Reaping Strike, say.

Also, does that mean every attack I make is going to have the Sure Strike bonus's?

Sure Strike /is/ an attack.  You will have several other attacks you'll be able to use, including the relatively inferior Melee Basic Attack and Ranged Basic Attack.  In addition, you'll have an attack that you can only use 1/encounter, and one that you can only use 1/day.  Obviously, those are better than your at-wills, that you can use every round.

+3 Strength, +2 Proficiency, +2 for the Sure Strike"

For every attack role I make with my Axe? That is +7?

When you use the Sure Strike exploit, the attack roll will be +7, yes.  When you use a different exploit, or a Melee Basic Attack, the attack roll will be +5, but you'll likely do more damage...

No, powers are At-Will/Encounter/Daily, martial (Fighter, Rogue, etc) powers are called 'exploits.' 

The chart on p29 of the PH1 shows that you gain 1 feat, 2 at-will attack powers, 1 encounter attack power, and 1 daily attack power, for instance.  For a fighter, all those attack 'powers' are 'exploits.' (Because, y'know, fighters don't cast spells). ;)

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Hey guys, So I purchased the DM thingy Tools for like 9 bucks a month. Is there a Dice Roller? If so where is it?

Also the other issue I am having is how do I get more than one Monster on the encounter?? (Especially before I print it).
Minatures:

WOW! OMG! THESE things are freaking expensive as hell!

Is there a cheap, 3rd party off brand out there? Right now I am getting by with some old heroscape box sets I had around the garage.

But man, I went to get some of these at a Comic stores and they are just way too high. Don;t get me wrong, I love to do what I can to support and Independent and I know they can;t sell stuff like the walmarts and targets but I just can't afford these.

Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. If it helps I am in Dallas and have no problem going to the burbs.
While I love my minis, the new trend is flat cardboard tokens.
You'll find them in the Monster Vault, DM Kit and Threats of the Nentir Vale for example.
There are also thrid-party tokens by FieryDragon or Fat Dragon can't remember ATM.
Tokens are cheaper than minis to try out.
-Realize You are your own source of all Creation, of your own master plan.
The mini line has been discontinued, so what's out there is all there is, and going forward, prices could concievably go up in the secondary market.  Right now, though, you should be able to find D&D minis that aren't too expensive (except for the larger and 'rare' ones, but you don't really need those).

The counters in Monster Vault are adequate mini subsitutes for monsters.  For PCs, I still prefer the old-school hand-painted lead pewter mini, and since you don't need many, you can afford to splurge on them a bit but, if you're not into painting, that's obviously not for you.

There are several companies making minis for FRPG and other uses.  Reaper is pretty good, and they have a new line of pre-painted minis, also not cheap.

Of course, there are always cheap alternatives to minis.  The 'Bag o Zombies' accessory for the Zombies! board game, for instance, is 100 zombies at pennies each.  They can work for any horde of humanoid monsters or minions.  There's Steve Jackson Games 'Cardboard Heroes,' which are counters that are folded to stand up like minis.  And, of course, you can always use pawns or counters from any game, or pennies, buttons, M&Ms or whatever you have laying around....

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

OK I see thanks!

I actually got the Monster Vault, It was the very first thing we picked up. So I'll just use those Cardboard things then. Heck it came with a ton of them!

Good to know, thanks.

I do kind of wish they were atleast cardboard cut outs you can out on a stand.

I've only had two problems with the flat counters:  1) sometimes, if the light is from just wrong angle, glare makes it hard to see the images on them.  2) you can't just lay them down to represent being prone.   Both pretty minor.

I think those minis would have been wildly popular if they were not priced so high.

Should be a Box of 20 for like $4.99

Apparently a fair amount of the cost is in the number of 'paint steps'.  Army men are cheap, but to have to handle each several times (even in a factory in china) drives the prices up.

One fun thing I've seen used for minions are snacks (like M&Ms) after killing the minion, you get to eat the M&M (or whatever candy it was).  At first glance it might seem odd to represent horrific monster ect. with candy, but I guess it's not (much) worse than using little plastic (or pewter) figs or cardboard.
When the cliffs of doom are a couple of squigles from a wet-erase marker and the fire-balls only happen in your head, who cares if the monsters are pieces of candy Wink
When the cliffs of doom are a couple of squigles from a wet-erase marker and the fire-balls only happen in your head, who cares if the monsters are pieces of candy Wink

Monsters are delicious.

Monsters are delicious.

A convention I DM for used to do this.

They WERE delicious.

And as DM, i got to eat the PCs if they died.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.

And as DM, i got to eat the PCs if they died.

how roooood 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Sign In to post comments