Riku of Two Reflections

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently decided to scrap both of my primary EDH decks, which were Ertai, Wizard Adept and Azusa, Lost but Seeking. After juggling Rafiq of the Many, Edric, Spymaster of Trest and Riku of Two Reflections in my head, I decided that I would combine the two into a Riku build. This is a first draft, improvements are certainly in order. In spoilers at the bottom of the post are cards that I considered but didn't make the cut, most of which will be green and blue (red is a minority color here). That said, here's the list:
General: Riku of Two Reflections

Land - 39
Wooded Foothills - Fetchland
Misty Rainforest - Fetchland
Scalding Tarn - Fetchland
Reflecting Pool - One of the best lands ever printed
Exotic Orchard - Excellent in multiplayer
Command Tower - Amazing addition to the EDH land family
Maze of Ith - Amazing land, I'm not sure if it counts as one though
Tolaria West - Can tutor up Maze of Ith, Academy Ruins or Reliquary Tower
Academy Ruins - Recurs all kinds of fun stuff
Boseiju, Who Shelters All - Not sure if this is worth it. It's nice against monoblue, but having to pay 2 life whenever you tap it makes it impractical.
Vivid Crag - Cycle
Vivid Grove - Cycle
Vivid Creek - Cycle
Dust Bowl - Nice instant speed, uncounterable removal.
Temple of the False God - Great draw late game, tapping for two is a real bonus.
Fire-Lit Thicket - Filter land. I'm trying to find the other two lands in this cycle that fit in this deck.
Raging Ravine - Manland. Not sure if it's worth it, it will certainly be dropped if I find a Cascade Bluffs or Flooded Grove.
Reliquary Tower - What's not to like?
Treetop Village - A really good manland, better than Raging Ravine in my opinion
Faerie Conclave - Same as above.
Thawing Glaciers - Empties your deck of land, plus can be helpful if you're caught in a mana screw.
Strip Mine - Instant speed LD.
7 Island
6 Forest
4 Mountain

Planeswalkers - 4
Jace, the Mind Sculptor - Probably the best planeswalker printed.
Karn Liberated - People seem to underestimate this guy, can pull off retarded combos if left alone.
Sarkhan Vol - Nice for theft, and can buff up some Riku copies.
Garruk Wildspeaker - Mana ramp, overrun and token generation.

Artifacts - 10
Sensei's Divining Top - Some of the best card manipulation available
Coalition Relic - Great mana source
Expedition Map - Great tutor
Howling Mine - My only card with any group-hugginess. It's nice for cards, and makes people love you.
Thran Dynamo - Great acceleration
Sol Ring - Some of the best acceleration
Lightning Greaves - More for the shroud than the haste, great for Riku
Mind Stone - Probably suboptimal, but I just like the card
Nevinyrral's Disk - One of my few board clearers, can get really annoying with Academy Ruins
Mana Vault - Wonderful card.

Enchantments - 1
Rhystic Study - Amazing card draw

Creatures - 21
Willbender - Redirection, a nice trick
Consecrated Sphinx - Amazing card to copy, great on its own too
Glen Elendra Archmage - Counterspells on a stick
Flametongue Kavu - Classic EtB creature
Siege-Gang Commander - When copied, you get 8 creatures for 7 mana. Need I say more?
Hateflayer - Supposedly good, haven't played it much.
Anarchist - Gets back goodies
Woodfall Primus - Great to copy
Acidic Slime - Same as above
Indrik Stomphowler - Same as above
Sakura-Tribe Elder - Chump + accel
Genesis - Classic green recursion
Deadwood Treefolk - Nice to copy
Eternal Witness - Required in a green deck
Yavimaya Elder - 2 lands and a card for 2 mana? It's also a nice copy.
Solemn Simulacrum - Amazing copy
Coiling Oracle - Classic
Intet, the Dreamer - Probably not the best, but I love the card
Dominus of Fealty - Another great copy, has some good beats and abilities too
Simic Sky Swallower - Untargetable fat
Mystic Snake - One of my few counterspells

Instants - 14
Fact or Fiction - Great blue draw.
Evacuation - Non-permanent mass removal
Negate - Handy counterspell
Capsize - Repeatable bounce, lends itself well to Riku. Not sure if it's worth it though.
Mystical Tutor - Grabs goodies
Forbid - A nice counterspell, I'm a bit worried about the double blue though.
Wild Ricochet - Amazing card, especially when copied. 
Krosan Grip - Best green artifact/enchantment removal
Beast Within - Better than Vindicate
Tangle - Maybe not necessary, but I like having at least one prevention spell in all my green decks.
Snakeform - Cutting as soon as I can find a Voidslime
Suffocating Blast - Nice counterspell
Prophetic Bolt - Great copy, 8 damage and 2 cards.
Fire // Ice - Not so sure, but is nice to burn out small stuff or as a combat trick.

Sorceries - 10
Time Warp - Truly great
Blatant Thievery - For 9, you get 2 permanents from everyone. In a 4 person game, that's 6 permanents. Of your choice.
Bribery - Classic, great copy
Relentless Assault - 3 attack phases? Sure!
Death by Dragons - 2 5/5's to everyone but...you
Regrowth - Recursion
All is Dust - My second sweeper 
Vengeful Rebirth - Great to copy
Decimate - Same as above, it nets you 8 kills for 6 mana.
Hull Breach - 4 kills, 4 mana. Sounds good. 

Other potential cards:

Green

[deck]
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Wall of Blossoms 
1 Vigor
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Praetor's Council
1 Desert Twister
1 Harmonize
1 Harrow
1 Moment's Peace
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Thornling
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Constant Mists
1 Cultivate
1 Plated Slagwurm
1 Rancor
1 Triumph of the Hordes
1 Summoning Trap
1 Primordial Sage
1 Tribute to the wild
1 Lignify
1 Rampaging Baloths
1 Primal Command
1 Borderland Ranger
1 Forgotten Ancient
1 Hibernation's End
1 Realms Uncharted
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Naturalize
1 Masked Admirers
1 Silklash Spider
1 Momentous Fall
[/deck]

Any suggestions are appreciated, I am certainly not limited to the cards in these spoilers.

Decks
Standard: Mage-Blade EDH: Rafiq of the Many
I'm working on this deck as well, and I would add Mirari, Echo Mage, and Cloven Casting to the party.
http://thedailydungeon.blogspot.com/ My Daily D&D blog - cities, dungeons, NPC's, and more
I'm not aiming for the entire deck to be about copying, it's a subtheme. Riku by himself can power out a lot of stuff. However, I will look for the first two, I'm not sure that Cloven Casting has enough targets currently to warrant it.

Decks
Glad I could help, and looking more closely at your list, I'd have to agree on Cloven Casting, but even better is Cast Through TIme. Might I suggest replacing Relentless Assault with World at War?
http://thedailydungeon.blogspot.com/ My Daily D&D blog - cities, dungeons, NPC's, and more
If I don't decide to go with a Rafiq of the Many deck, and I can find them, both of those will make their way in. Does a double instance of Rebound let you cast it for 3 upkeeps or something? Or twice the next upkeep?

Decks
If I don't decide to go with a Rafiq of the Many deck, and I can find them, both of those will make their way in. Does a double instance of Rebound let you cast it for 3 upkeeps or something? Or twice the next upkeep?

Unfortunately, there's not a double instance of rebound. Casting World at War while Cast Through Time is out is a little bit like equipping Vampire Nighthawk with Basilisk Collar. In the same way you can't have double death touch, you can't have double rebound.

I'm also toying with the idea of Jhoira of the Ghitu to bring out the heavies, since the copy abilities are a little mana hungry, and any creatures you copy that just came out of suspension will have haste.

Also, Nucklavee might serve you better than Anarchist.
With your example, the Nighthawk would have double instances of the ability, they are just redundant. The same happens with Rebound, then. 

Yeah, unless I find an amazing something to go in this deck, Rafiq looks like a much more promising concept. However, I do like Jhoira. I don't think Nucklavee is as good, because in the current list, it could bring back one of five cards, whereas Anarchist could bring back one of ten. I will probably just slip in a Mnemonic Wall anyway. 

Decks
Poor wording on my part. At the end of the day, it won't rebound twice. But the good news is that you can still be ridiculous with Cast Through Time and copy spell effects. You might also try Vedalken Orrery.
However rebound says cast, witch means when it activates on your next turn you can pay the on Riku to get two turns of three combat phases.

If looking for ways to be less mana intensive:
Braids, Conjurer Adept lets you get a free creature every upkeep to copy.
Wild Evocation either ramps you or lets you cast for free. Again giving you easy access to copies.

Both of these can backfire I have found though. They do make the game fun if you like chaos, as well as serving a plankton strategy of "I'm helping you leave me alone". Maybe not your style. ALthough having it pointed out, I may switch Braids with Jhoria.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
I have been experimenting with Riku and will post up my version in a bit.  He is a definite mana hog and I think it might be better to focus on lowering the curve and having more green mana ramp spells.  Spot removal and sweepers are definitely his weak spots.  I think Electrolyze is better than Fire/Ice and I've found Aftershock very useful.  Maybe instead of Decimate?  Depends on the meta I guess... 
Currently in the deck box: Ashling the Pilgrim Horde of Notions Merieke Ri Berit Lin Sivvi Ertai,the Corrupted Riku of Two Reflections Sliver Overlord In Progress: Garza Zol Thraximundar
Decimate is ridiculously good, you should be running it. 6 mana to destroy eight permanents. I'm probably not going to run Fire/Ice or Electrolyze, as neither seem to have a big enough effect. We'll see where it goes, I may be able to pick up some new cards. At the moment though, I'm working on my Voltron Rafiq.

Decks
Decimate is fabulous, IF you have all the targets on the board to wreck.  If you don't have any one of the targets you can't cast the spell.  I've seen plenty of boards without either creatures or enchantments which has soured me on the card.  I play a decent amount of 1vs1 and my group games are usually smaller, no more than 5 players.   It's good, but not auto include in my book.  I would definitely run Hullbreach (as you are) and Relic Crush (amongst others) before Decimate. 
Currently in the deck box: Ashling the Pilgrim Horde of Notions Merieke Ri Berit Lin Sivvi Ertai,the Corrupted Riku of Two Reflections Sliver Overlord In Progress: Garza Zol Thraximundar
The deck needs Time Stretch.

My Riku runs Splinter Twin, which can end a game all on it's own through recurring Eternal Witnesses fetching back Time stretches and Time Warp, or just beating face with infinite Exarches or Faeries. Kiki Jiki deserves mention, too.

Find a Tooth and Nail and stick it in there.

I love Searing Wind in this deck. I love saying "Take 20."
I have no idea what's happening to this deck. I'm rather enthralled by my Rafiq deck at the moment, but all your suggestions are appreciated, as I am constructing an "ideal decklist" that I will make at some point.

And I dislike infinite combos in my decks, annoys people. I will run Time Stretch though, as taking 4 extra turns is just fun.

Searing Wind is sort of meh, probably won't run it.

Tooth and Nail is a definite add.

And yeah, I find that Decimate always has targets. If it doesn't have two of everything, I don't bother copying it - it's still 4 permanents for 4 mana. 

Decks
I understand you not wanting to make the entire deck about copying...but the colors you're in lend yourself to that really well. I for sure think you need to include Tooth and nail and Primeval Titan. Riku duplicates all of your time stretch effects, as well as knowledge exploitation type stuff too. Which makes you mana dependent, mana reflection is really good in this deck. Even along with all the normal mana ramp.
In the Anarchist v Nucklavee debate... isn't Izzet Chronarch just plain better? Less splashable but you have a solid manabase...
In the Anarchist v Nucklavee debate... isn't Izzet Chronarch just plain better? Less splashable but you have a solid manabase...

I would run Mnemonic Wall over the Chronarch. He's a nice second option before Anarchist/Nuck.
Let this die...

Decks
Sign In to post comments