Magic Online Q2 Update Discussion

66 posts / 0 new
Last post

Gordon's Q2 Update is now live!

• New WPF Client - In progress, on schedule

• Digital Object Storage and Collation update - In testing, ahead of schedule

So like what is the schedule.... I thought the schedule for the new client included a beta starting in Q2?? Or did it start and I wasn't invited?
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

• New WPF Client - In progress, on schedule

• Digital Object Storage and Collation update - In testing, ahead of schedule

So like what is the schedule.... I thought the schedule for the new client included a beta starting in Q2?? Or did it start and I wasn't invited?

Pure speculation, it probably won't start until after M12 beta is over, which is, what, 3-4 weeks from now?

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
"Stacked Digital Object and Collation Update"
what is that?
proud member of the 2011 community team
what is that?

I think it might be the update that makes all digital objects not unique.

Currently, if I have 3 Jaces, each one has it's own unique identification number and are thus 3 different objects.  If this is what I think it is, they are making it to where those three jaces are now identical in the system.

So, if you think of MTGO's database of everyone's cards being an excel sheet.  They previously needed as many cells as they had objects.  Going forward, they'd dramatically reduce the number of cells by collapsing many down and adding a quantity column, so to speak.

I know they are planning to do this (or completed it already), but I'm not 100& if that process is what they named "Stacked digital object..."

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Realistically, when can we expect the release of the new client? Maybe 2012Q1? If the new client is half as good as it looks then it will be awesome.

Can't wait for the beta, please pick me!
i'd guess end of the year, ideally somewhere around Innistrad.
maybe around the release of Rattle (the second Innistrad set) in February

beta should start soonish
"New client is on schedule" - Except for the fact that it was already supposed to be in beta?
[obligatory] They mentioned leagues but I want them sooner. [/obligatory]

Other than that it sounds good. I'm looking forward to a new client. Hopefully the bigger and more experienced in house teams doing the polishing will mean there are less annoying bugs (or "features") at launch.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

"Leagues – Awaiting design updates and the completion of our current infrastructure and feature projects."

Every time it seems they (leagues) are further and further away.
Is it really so hard to implement or is it that they were not so profitable? 
It was one of the greatest features of MTGO. We really want them back!

what is that?

Currently, if I have 3 Jaces, each one has it's own unique identification number and are thus 3 different objects.  If this is what I think it is, they are making it to where those three jaces are now identical in the system.

So, if you think of MTGO's database of everyone's cards being an excel sheet.  They previously needed as many cells as they had objects.  Going forward, they'd dramatically reduce the number of cells by collapsing many down and adding a quantity column, so to speak.

I know they are planning to do this (or completed it already), but I'm not 100& if that process is what they named "Stacked digital object..."

How does this system deafeat duping?  As I understand it the unique ID is to ensure that you can't multiply objects. 
bluedragon123 Clan YawgmothPDCMagic.com
Why don't they just say,

"We've decided never to bring leagues back."
what is that?

How does this system deafeat duping?  As I understand it the unique ID is to ensure that you can't multiply objects. 

If I understand this correctly, there will be no more unique IDs for digital objects, just unique IDs for different kinds of digital objects. So, instead of putting ten objects in the database for the ten JTMS you own, there will be a single object, JMTS, with the number 10 added somewhere in the record. What's more, everybody's database of DO's  can now have the same records in it, and can in fact be resident client-side; except, of course, for the number of cards owned, which must reside on the server for security reasons. Synchronization should be must faster this way.

This may be a bit less secure than the old system, but was probably inevitable due to the enormous number of DOs in the system.

(These are just my thoughts on how I'd implement this; I don't have any info how it is in fact implemented.)

Go draft, young man, go draft!

what is that?

If I understand this correctly, there will be no more unique IDs for digital objects, just unique IDs for different kinds of digital objects. So, instead of putting ten objects in the database for the ten JTMS you own, there will be a single object, JMTS, with the number 10 added somewhere in the record. What's more, everybody's database of DO's  can now have the same records in it, and can in fact be resident client-side; except, of course, for the number of cards owned, which must reside on the server for security reasons. Synchronization should be must faster this way.

This may be a bit less secure than the old system, but was probably inevitable due to the enormous number of DOs in the system.

(These are just my thoughts on how I'd implement this; I don't have any info how it is in fact implemented.)

I doubt any info like that would be kept client-side, but that's just my assumption going against yours    :X

As for prevention of duplication, I assume they'd have other methods to handle that.  I believe they already track all trade data.  If that data is secure, they could use it to reconstruct quantities from a previous "last known good configuration", so to speak.

Or, perhaps they could just add more (or already have enough) failsafes to prevent duplication, which I assume would only be much of an issue during a trade.

the library is already kept client side
i can browse it without logging in and it shows the quantities of the cards i had when i last logged out.
Yeah, but that is probably just a local copy. If you try and change that copy (say, add a Jace to your Collection), you will find that when you log in next time, that Jace will be gone (or at least, that is the only sensible way to do this). Everything on the Clients Side is in the Hands of the Enemy.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
the library is already kept client side
i can browse it without logging in and it shows the quantities of the cards i had when i last logged out.

That's more of a shadow.  It's much different than the concept of actually storing things clientside

ah yes, that would be silly.
far too easy to manipulate.
everything is on schedule except there is no schedule.

They clearly don't want to publish dates anymore. I can't blame them.

They clearly don't want to publish dates anymore. I can't blame them.

Probably because we do foolish things like remember them.

Anyone else feel like that update wasn't really an update so much as a "stuff is moving along like always"?

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

Anyone else feel like that update wasn't really an update so much as a "stuff is moving along like always"?

I don't feel this way.

If there were dates for everything, I think everyone would have been very happy with it, though perhaps not with the dates themselves. Dates being kept confidential aren't enough to make me unhappy about it.
Leagues:

"Why would we reintroduce leagues... Keep drafting suckers!" 
Being leagues my only interest, I can't but feel that they're just wasting their time, their so behind "schedule"... 
Those Betas and new features are just so... unexciting...

They finished a month earlier?? Not good enough, leagues are already YEARS late...

Wasn't the collection server the only prerequisite to resume leagues development?

The draft time restrictions really prevents me to play more...

Frown
If the client is going to be in WPF, will it work on OSX / Linux with .NET framework?

Will we have a WEB client?
If the client is going to be in WPF, will it work on OSX / Linux with .NET framework?

Will we have a WEB client?

No and no.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
The W in WPF stands for "Windows" so this should answer your linux question.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Leagues aside, v3 was supposed to be the answer to everything so the fact that they are still posting these "updates" and promising improved infrasturcture and larger server capacity like they did all througout versions 1 and 2 is beyond funny.  I mean think about it.....since v3 launched the world now has touch screen smart phones and tablets....a terabyte hardrive 4 years ago cost close to $1000 and now you can find them for under $100.....you can go to google maps and get a street view 360 degree view of the street you live on....you can program your dvr from your cell phone while in a foreign country.....but Wizards is STILL having a hard time coping with an online version of Magic the Gathering???????

For someone who hasn't played since v2.5....it's really hilarious....and sad....
I hope Wizards pulls it together but as long as people are putting money into a mediocre functioning program they won't - why would they?  The people that are unsastisfied can always look forward to publshed quarterly updates promising fixes in Q1 or Q2 or Q3 or Q4 ...2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012....anyone seeing the pattern?  And hey - let's give the team a pat on the back for finishing a month ahead of schedule....what the ef are you talking about?!?!?!  My grandma is facetiming me from France....4 years ago she thought that was a fictional concept from the Jetsons.  You are so not 1 month ahead of schedule on anything to be still having the infrastructure problems and server stability issues you had 4 years ago.

Dear WoTC, Here is my job application in case anyone is hiring:

Objective:  obtain employment with a company who shares my belief that the mediocre are always at their best.

Education:  one bought and paid for business degree

Special Skills:  Creative writing (specifically progress reports), Not getting things done, blaming other people or technologies for not getting things done, Sounding like I know what I'm talking about when I don't, pretending I care about customer concerns, can slip my shoes on and off without untieing the laces

References: Everyone you call will tell you I'm awesome.

I can start Monday

Leagues aside, v3 was supposed to be the answer to everything so the fact that they are still posting these "updates" and promising improved infrasturcture and larger server capacity like they did all througout versions 1 and 2 is beyond funny.

For someone who hasn't played since v2.5

Since you haven't played since 2.5, maybe you don't know that server capacity and stability has improved greatly. Server crashes are now very rare things, despite new user records being set every release. There are plenty of other problems with the UI and leagues functionality, but don't vilify them for continuing to improve on something they already have going pretty well.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Anyone pointing at what google can achieve and demanding similar things from a dev team of at best 5 ppl should seriously consider handing in their so called degree.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Anyone pointing at what google can achieve and demanding similar things from a dev team of at best 5 ppl should seriously consider handing in their so called degree.

I don't have a business degree. I'm in the software industry so I know just throwing bodies at a problem doesn't necessarily get it done any quicker or better. But, I can't help but feel that Wizards has been too conservative in their investments in Magic Online R&D.

Sorry for responding to a "group two" post Smile

Since you haven't played since 2.5, maybe you don't know that server capacity and stability has improved greatly. Server crashes are now very rare things, despite new user records being set every release. There are plenty of other problems with the UI and leagues functionality, but don't vilify them for continuing to improve on something they already have going pretty well.

Yeah....um....I haven't played since 2.5 because the format I enjoyed most, Leagues, is now non-existant.  When I did play on v2.5 I played 5-10 hours a week and experienced crashes less than 5% of the time. 

Wizards either shouldn't have released 3.0 without making sure it had ALL the features of 2.5, OR, just said we are creating 3.0 to be closer to 100% stable environment but in doing so we have to eliminate Leagues.  But the constant quarterly dangling promise of "Leagues coming soon" and "Leagues – Awaiting design updates and the completion of our current infrastructure and feature projects" - you have to admit it's a joke.  They are vilifying themselves by blaming League delay on problems with the infrastructure.  And that goes back to my point that v3.0 was a promise to re-build the infrustructure from the ground up.  So they goofed!  They rushed out a program that wasn't ready and 4 years later it is still not ready for all the features of 2.5.  Where is the competency in that?

Really?  Can I least expect to have the game I had working more than 95% of the time 4 years ago?  I'd much prefer v2.5 with occasional crashes than v3 sans Leagues. 

Even if only one person is developing the program and working on program maitenance they need to step it up.  There are genius wiz kids out there (not me btw) who could figure this out and would do it for beer money.

Really?  Can I least expect to have the game I had working more than 95% of the time 4 years ago?  I'd much prefer v2.5 with occasional crashes than v3 sans Leagues. 

Even if only one person is developing the program and working on program maitenance they need to step it up.  There are genius wiz kids out there (not me btw) who could figure this out and would do it for beer money.

95% of the time... You lead a charmed life I think. At the end it was 4-12 hour downtimes every single day basically.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.

95% of the time... You lead a charmed life I think. At the end it was 4-12 hour downtimes every single day basically.

4-12 hours everyday, eh?  League players now have 24 hours a day downtime.  So, no, I don't lead a charmed life.

I see this a lot but honestly if you weren't on at American peak times it was nowhere near that bad. As a European I could have lived with it getting worse at the same rate for another 6-12 months.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

4-12 hours everyday, eh?  League players now have 24 hours a day downtime.  So, no, I don't lead a charmed life.

Leagues aside, v3 was supposed to be the answer to everything so the fact that they are still posting these "updates" and promising improved infrasturcture and larger server capacity like they did all througout versions 1 and 2 is beyond funny.

Stop moving the goalposts. You tried to make a statement about the stability and capcity of v3 beyond your leagues complaint that wasn't actually true. Admit it and move on.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

For someone who hasn't played since v2.5

I do play in V3 and still agree with HeartKing. I rather prefer v2.5 with leagues that  v3 without them. Frankly, althougth the stability is nice, I would gladly swap it for leagues. 

I am sure developing leagues is not that difficult. The only tricky part should be blocking the cards in a league for being trade. I thought that was the reason for putting leagues behind the collection server. I am sure leagues are not ready only because the lack of vision of whoever is deciding the secret developtment schedule.
I do play in V3 and still agree with HeartKing. I rather prefer v2.5 with leagues that  v3 without them. Frankly, althougth the stability is nice, I would gladly swap it for leagues. 

I am sure developing leagues is not that difficult. The only tricky part should be blocking the cards in a league for being trade. I thought that was the reason for putting leagues behind the collection server. I am sure leagues are not ready only because the lack of vision of whoever is deciding the secret developtment schedule.

And that's a perfectly valid opinion (though I disagree). But it isn't the position he was originally trying to take.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

Stop moving the goalposts. You tried to make a statement about the stability and capcity of v3 beyond your leagues complaint that wasn't actually true. Admit it and move on.

My original post was in response to the Q2 update which, if you pull out everything in it mentioning leagues, there is still this:

"Infrastructure Update
The team that worked the Stacked Digital Objects and Collation Update project kicked some butt and finished a month ahead of schedule. The three items they tackled in this bundle will significantly raise the system’s user capacity, and keep us well ahead of all the user base growth that we expect. We have also completed dev work on a significant update to all our Linux based server applications that will further raise the bar and ensure continued system stability. Next up for infrastructure development is an upgrade to our eCom services and the famous DOBS server, including a long overdue upgrade to our PayPal services that will ship later this year." -end quote

Bubba, I don't need to play v3 to know that they are still working on stability and capacity issues.  They are flat out telling us.  V3 was supposed to, from the very beginning, minimize challenges to the system by restructuring the program in a way that would easily allow for growth and system overload.  That was the promise.

Then people are chiming in and telling me how better v3 is and the servers are so great and it doesn't crash.  Great, but at what cost?  WoTC clearly seems to be spending all their resources in stabilizing the system that they can't even complete the full program and offer features that were promised (and included and operating in v2.5) 4 years ago.....like, yeah - leagues - and my argument has to fall back to that.

So I'm not going to let it go.  I have a right to complain about v3 without playing it.  Y'all have to be devs or other WoTC employees to even waste time on trying to find flaws in my posts and counter posts.  V3 is a botched piece of crap that requires so much man power to maintain WoTC can't even bring back features that were functioning fine* in 2.5.  Admit that and let it go.

*as to 4-12 hours downtime - that was not my experience at all.  But I played 1 to 2 hours a day so I suppose I could have hit it at the right times