Mythic tune-up #6 - Pyrecrow

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ran this one past the wording clinic, now it's time for critiques.

Pyrecrow
Creature - Phoenix (Mythic)
Convoke (Each creature you tap while casting this spell reduces its cost by or by one mana of that creature’s color.)
Flying, haste
If you spend no mana to cast it, you may cast Pyrecrow from your graveyard.
3/3

And that last line still bugs me.  "As long as you spend no mana"?  "You can't spend mana to cast it?"  Hmm....
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I like the concept, but the power level feels a bit low to me, and I don't think many games would see the resurrection ability be relevant.

Name feels a little inglorious for a phoenix.

Also, "You may cast Pyrecrow from your graveyard. You can't spend mana to cast it this way."

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

A red deck packing 5 creatures each turn doesn't feel like a very great color focus enabler at mythic rarity.

Challenge & Contest Winners
[24 Hour Challenge] Why is the rum always gone? Winner- Sebanovich
Show
Vomit Elemental :B: Creature - Elemental Tap an untapped creature you control: Vomit Elemental gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Other creatures you control don't untap during your untap step. "Drink and feed me, my followers!" 1/1
Signature
A red deck packing 5 creatures each turn doesn't feel like a very great color focus enabler at mythic rarity.

Not sure I'm catching your point. Just that tapping five creatures doesn't seem worth it for Red?

(I always feel like I'm missing an important element of Mythics.  Color focus enabler?)
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok

Not sure I'm catching your point. Just that tapping five creatures doesn't seem worth it for Red?

(I always feel like I'm missing an important element of Mythics.  Color focus enabler?)

Perhaps I should have said color focused enabler.  Put the whole card aside and imagine if I came to you and said I have a creature you can cast for free from your graveyard if you can tap 5 creatures but two of them have to be red.  Does that feel very mythic in power?  How about in flavor?

It's entirely possible to have 5 critters out in a red deck, but how lowly must those creatures be for me to decide it's worth passing turn of attacking with them to play a 3/3 flier with haste?

You have a slightly smaller Volcanic Dragon with a wonky alternate cost, doesn't feel very mythic in p/t to mana ratio, flavor, or game impact.

Show
Vomit Elemental :B: Creature - Elemental Tap an untapped creature you control: Vomit Elemental gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Other creatures you control don't untap during your untap step. "Drink and feed me, my followers!" 1/1
Signature
I like it.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

Perhaps I should have said color focused enabler.  Put the whole card aside and imagine if I came to you and said I have a creature you can cast for free from your graveyard if you can tap 5 creatures but two of them have to be red.  Does that feel very mythic in power?  How about in flavor?

It's entirely possible to have 5 critters out in a red deck, but how lowly must those creatures be for me to decide it's worth passing turn of attacking with them to play a 3/3 flier with haste?

You have a slightly smaller Volcanic Dragon with a wonky alternate cost, doesn't feel very mythic in p/t to mana ratio, flavor, or game impact.

Did you miss the fact that it comes down 3rd turn or sooner in most red decks and flies over wall of omens? The reanimation is mere bonus rather than the focus.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Name feels a little inglorious for a phoenix.

Also, "You may cast Pyrecrow from your graveyard. You can't spend mana to cast it this way."

+1

But i'm with razor about the mechanic.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Did you miss the fact that it comes down 3rd turn or sooner in most red decks and flies over wall of omens? The reanimation is mere bonus rather than the focus.

In some red decks.  A 3/3 flier on turn 3 is great, but, to me, it doesn't feel mythic.  Regardless my opinions are just that, opinions.  Also, don't confuse what I'm saying with that I think it's a bad card, because I don't. 

Show
Signature
in my irrelavent opinion, id either make a 4/4, or keep its p/t and give it a firebreathing ability. maybe

(1) (R) : deals 1 damage to target creature/player.
(>*_*)> # giver of waffles