7/6/2011 StF: "Eleventeen M12 Art Tidbits. Also, Plants!"

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I love magic artwork so articles like this make me happy. 

As for the walker cards, more would be cool. I was disappointed when I saw the uncommon walker cards wouldn't be coming back since I was hoping for a cool Vamp for Sorin and I really like Garruk's and Chandra's cards.
"Here, he shows the moment a dragon busts out of a volcano, which is pretty metal."  That was awesome Brady.

The art for Fog looks amazing up close like that.  So does Furyborn Hellkite, I wanna see the full art!  Goblin Grenade is funny, and Distress looks sick!  Love it!

I like the cycle of PW cards.  Should be kept at a common, uncommon, rare, and the mytic PW itself at the top of the cycle.  Thats alot of cards though.  Hmmm....
I like the Planeswalker-themed cards as well, particularly their implementation - as build-around cards that function in Limited.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Great to hear from Brady again; he's the guy what recruited me to write flavor text for New Phyrexia and M12 (and maybe, just maybe, for some other sets you'll be hearing about one of these days).

The point about treefolk is an extremely valid one, and one that still wasn't solved completely when the tribe took over Lorwyn, although definite progress was made.  But I firmly believe Dungrove Elder hit it out of the park; I haven't checked the entire spoiler but I suspect that its current status as my favorite M12 art will face very few challenges.  (Which is not to say anything against the other art, only to emphasize how surpassingly epic this one piece is IMO.)

It's just that being funny is really hard, and when you try to be funny and fail, it's worse than if you didn't try at all.

He's very right here, and this is a lesson that I wish was taken more to heart by my fellow flavor text writers.  Almost none of my submitted flavor texts are intentional jokes, because I know that the secret to being funny is most often not to try - when your joke is too obvious (a problem that several cards in M12 have in my opinion, but I'll refrain from naming names), it becomes the equivalent of saying "Hahah GET IT?", which we all know is exactly how to ruin a joke.  The power of subtlety becomes abundantly clear when you get something like the FT of M12's Fling - our airborne goblin is being completely serious, and the humor derives from our knowledge of the impending doom which he is hilariously oblivious to (there's a reason you always see those happy/sad masks in pairs; laughter and tragedy have always been dance partners).

Oh, and Brady, let me know if you ever want the creature type problem solved once and for all.  I'm exactly the sort of person to make such distinctions and to outline a consistent logic behind them; my ultra-Vorthosian love of versimilitude may be something of a problem when I start demanding changes to the rules, but it's exactly the kind of trait you need in someone like a creature type guru.  (I'm even better with the color pie, but I know you already have several people who have that as their job and I'm not looking to step on any toes...you know, until they're ready to retire.)
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Almost none of my submitted flavor texts are intentional jokes, because I know that the secret to being funny is most often not to try - when your joke is too obvious (a problem that several cards in M12 have in my opinion, but I'll refrain from naming names)[...]

Goblin Chieftain's. I read that and just shook my head. The old flavor text was leaps and bounds better.

Actually, an even better flavor text than either would have been to take Goblin King's classic flavor text and advance the names one slot. I was always disappointed they didn't do that when they were still printing Goblin King in every core set. To be chieftain, Vurk did in Numsgil, who did in Blog, who did in Unkful, who did in Viddle, who did in Loll. . . .

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Please, no more planeswalker "signature spells." The core set walkers are entirely bland; bland spells derived from such bland characters are simply an embarrassment.
"But wait until you see the version with three times as many Planeswalkers in it. Epic. It's my desktop wallpaper."

Does such a picture exist? And if so, why have I not heard of it? Does anyone know what he is talking about?
So if the Plant type is for nonsentient, nonsapient plants, and the Fungus type is the fungal equivalent of the Plant type, then why is the Fungus type also used for the very sapient Thallids? Shouldn't they be Shroomfolk or some such?
I like the signature spells, if for nothing more than flavor reasons. But I'd like to see more; one in each rarity, topping out at mythic with the planeswalker itself. Those cards don't have to look like cycles, like for example all the commons are {C}{1} enchantments. It could differ, depending on the 'walker. For example, I'd love to see Gideon's Sural at uncommon.
Photobucket
While we're on creature types... Salamanders really? I would really hate playing a salamander, give me a Kraken, Leviatha, Octopus, or Serpent...
As for planeswalker-signature cards, I sort of like them and I think their numbers are just about fine. Well, maybe 3 of them for each of the 'walkers wouldn't be too many either (perhaps one common, one uncommon and one rare, as the 'walker him/herself is mythic rare) so that there is something that can have impact in both limited and constructed. As I play mainly red these days, I'd like to comment a little bit on red cards of this kind. From M11, I quite like Chandra's Spitfire, at least in some casual decks it's quite a playable card but I would definitely replace Chandra's Outrage by something better. For those 4 mana we don't get so much value and I seriously think that Chandra, when outraged, does much worse stuff Wink So, I'd make a new Chandra's burn spell, call it Chandra's Fury or whatever but it must have some value, even at the common rarity (many good burn spells are commons: Lightning Bolt, Searing Blaze, Staggershock...) And by the way, I'm quite curious about Chandra's Phoenix. It's only a shame that it returns to your hand and not to the battlefield but that would make him another Bloodghast/Vengevine sort of card. And imagine the combo with Chandra Ablaze's first ability!
As for planeswalker-signature cards, I sort of like them and I think their numbers are just about fine. Well, maybe 3 of them for each of the 'walkers wouldn't be too many either (perhaps one common, one uncommon and one rare, as the 'walker him/herself is mythic rare) so that there is something that can have impact in both limited and constructed. As I play mainly red these days, I'd like to comment a little bit on red cards of this kind. From M11, I quite like Chandra's Spitfire, at least in some casual decks it's quite a playable card but I would definitely replace Chandra's Outrage by something better. For those 4 mana we don't get so much value and I seriously think that Chandra, when outraged, does much worse stuff Wink So, I'd make a new Chandra's burn spell, call it Chandra's Fury or whatever but it must have some value, even at the common rarity (many good burn spells are commons: Lightning Bolt, Searing Blaze, Staggershock...) And by the way, I'm quite curious about Chandra's Phoenix. It's only a shame that it returns to your hand and not to the battlefield but that would make him another Bloodghast/Vengevine sort of card. And imagine the combo with Chandra Ablaze's first ability!

I agree with you on the signature spells. One at each rarity with the planeswalker on top at mythic. All these planeswalker spells encourage me to build a deck around them, so job well done I guess. Can't stop thinking about the whole Chandra-clan either.
Photobucket
Minitrue mark article doubleplusungood crimethink. Miniluv remake goodthink fullwise.
The Fog guy looks disconcertingly like Darth Vader.
So if the Plant type is for nonsentient, nonsapient plants, and the Fungus type is the fungal equivalent of the Plant type, then why is the Fungus type also used for the very sapient Thallids? Shouldn't they be Shroomfolk or some such?

Same reason that Aven are Birds even though Merfolk aren't Fish, why Orochi are Snakes even though Viashino aren't Lizards, and so on and so on.  Namely the fact that Wizards has never committed to distinguishing between sapient and non-sapient races; different expansion sets have called the question different ways, and then their decisions have been grandfathered in.  I admit that if they ever did erratta Viashino to become Lizards I would bleat in protest, and turning Aven into their own type would be ruinous to the Onslaught block, which had both Aven and nonsentient Birds side-by-side in tribal decks.  In a word, it's a mess, and it's likely to stay a mess for a long time (unless Brady hires me to solve it and gives me dispensation to enact my plan over the objections of any and all other parties, which I suspect is beyond his authority at the company given that Wizards still seems to view Creative as kind of tertiary to Development and Design).

Goblin Chieftain's. I read that and just shook my head. The old flavor text was leaps and bounds better.

I didn't actually mind that one myself, it's fitting and sort of cute.  But Goblins historically have gotten some of the most embarassingly unsatisfying FT.  Why they are still so popular I don't know...well actually I do know, but I choose not to believe, because it's too depressing to consider the extent to which mediocrity and lowbrow mentality have become supreme in our society.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I really like the signature spells.  The common ones are fine as they are, such as Companion and Erasure.  What I would love to see more of, and I think M12 missed out on, are the Uncommon signature spells.  Some of my favorite cards from M11 were the uncommon sig spells, such as Garruk's Packmaster, Jace's Ingenuity and Liliana's Caress (Megrim upgrade! woohoo!)

I like the Uncommon sig spells because they have the power level of a uncommon spell while still interacting with the planeswalker in question.  Further, since they are not seen as frequently as the common, they can contain stronger interactions with the planeswalker itself.  I feel that the Rare sig spells will be very disappointing since they will cost more money by virtue of being a rare, and will appear infequently enough that it will take a greater investment in booster packs to acquire the amount a player would want, which is the primary way new and casual players get new cards.

All in all, an uncommon card would provide a flavorful interaction, good effect and appear at the right frequency to be visible to new players.
The new Fog art makes me think of the dream sequence in The Empire Strikes Back, where Luke meets Darth Vader on Dagobah in a dream / vision.  The central character in the fog really looks like Darth Vader to me for some reason.

Don't make any more planeswalker signature spells, at least.  This number, or a little less, is OK.

I liked some of the Tempest / Invasion block storyline cards, even though there were so many of them, because at least they were trying to tell the back story in the right place - on the cards.  Maybe it's just because I started playing during Fallen Empires, but to me that makes sense.

The new Planeswalker spells somehow manage to be worse than the Gerrard storyline cards.  I think it's because they advance a story or talk about a character (the planeswalker) who isn't even intimately connected to the world we're in.  The Planeswalkers are supposed to be above the fray, and so their ability spells don't seem very connected either.

It's also weird that there's a fixed number of slots for them.  I know it's the core set, but it seems a little too planned.  I would think maybe have one Jace's X spell, and then in a later set maybe he learns or meets Jace's Y as well.

Willpell:  we know you worked on flavor text, that was indeed awesome, you don't have to keep bringing it up ;) .
Personally I have to join the people who are disappointed that the uncommons left. I'm rather fond of Jace's Ingenuity and Chandra's Spitfire, and would have been happy to see the return alongside new uncommonsn for Sorin+Gideon. To me the issue isn't that rares would be expensive (And at least Sorin's and Garruk's will be cheap unless somebody finds a way to break them), the issue is that they have a tendency to be too niche to include in many decks.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I didn't actually mind that one myself, it's fitting and sort of cute.  But Goblins historically have gotten some of the most embarassingly unsatisfying FT.  Why they are still so popular I don't know...well actually I do know, but I choose not to believe, because it's too depressing to consider the extent to which mediocrity and lowbrow mentality have become supreme in our society.

Have become? bread and games.

Any examples of such goblins btw?

Willpell:  we know you worked on flavor text, that was indeed awesome, you don't have to keep bringing it up ;) .

Ah, he's just proud and with good reason =) I think it's cute. I don't like the ego he's showing in this thread though.
That new Fog art is made of utter solid winanium.
"Waaah there's a few cards I don't like in the latest set! This game sucks now! Everything should just always stay the same because I'm threatened by change! I'm going to quit! I'm quitting! SOMEONE PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE" - approximately 10% of MtG players on all forums, ever. Read my thoughts, feed my ego! - www.tzaphiel.wordpress.com I'm also a writer! Search for "Gareth Topping" on Amazon!
I like the Planeswalker signature spells and would like to see a bit more.  Perhaps two commons, an uncommon, and a rare.  It's fun to having them working together.
I like the planeswalker cards with the amount there currently are. 2 per color (10 per set) feels right, I think if you put to much more they show up to much and the game becomes less about "magic" and more about "planeswalkers" who are not you, the player. I like the sense that these other planeswalkers exist and have an impact in this world, but they are not the only thing or even a very prominent thing that exists in this world.

More importantly though, WHERE CAN WE GET THIS EPIC x3 PLANESWALKER ART FROM BRAD RIGNEY!? :D 
"But wait until you see the version with three times as many Planeswalkers in it. Epic. It's my desktop wallpaper."

Does such a picture exist? And if so, why have I not heard of it? Does anyone know what he is talking about?

I believe the operative word there is "wait".
Increasingly, we're doing this sort of speculative commissioning for illustrations we know will find homes in time... Because they're commissioned "out of context," they tend to be destined for core sets.

Aegis Angel having no context makes me wonder about the non-existent context of Core Sets :P.

I understand the imagination it takes to think of how I, as a planeswalker, got from Zendikar to Mirrodin. I use Elf spells from (the Eldrazi overran) Zendikar because maybe I befriended a tribe there and gained copies of them into my spellbook/library of memories. I then got out of there and hopped to Mirrodin for refuge. There I sympathized with Ezuri, Renegade Leader and gained his caricature and put into spell form on my travels as the land corroded.

However, I don't understand how I went to an imaginary fantasy land the core set represents, and how I took an imaginary Dungrove Elder from there and now suddenly know as a spell. Any thoughts?

We've been doing "Planeswalker signature" spells and creatures such as Garruk's Companion and Jace's Erasure. What do you think of these cards?

I like the Planeswalker signature's. People argue it's boring or unflavorful, but the PWers are the most interesting characters of the series. They're protagonists, and their friends/spell are iconic. They automatically have flavor (and the artist realizes this) due to their associated PWer. You don't have think up new flavor, but it's still flavorful.

Core set PWers still need more story, though. All of them, not just most.

You know in Personal Sanctuary she is content and completely unworried not because of reading and food, but because she's practically lost in meditation!

The new Fog no combat damage is dealt because your forces have already attacked and suddenly been emersed in pace-stopping fog. But they're just stopped, and that doesn't feel realistic to me. I get it, but the old version works better.

In the last version, they are assaulting and hit into fog, and they keep assaulting! They are wildly flailing hopelessly through a reddish, confused color of fog that shows reckless abandon. That's why they don't deal damage, because they don't even know what they're doing anymore! The new version makes them seem cautious and systematic, as if there's a chance they'll deal some combat damage this turn if they keep the move on, but this is hopeless as the fog is like being trapped in a labyrinth. I get it.

The World War reference struck me, because the new Fog has soldiers on it with helmets that remind me of the Nazis for some reason :P.

Goblin Grenade is too realistic to be funny, ever, for me. Maybe if he had a confused look and a backpack of TNT instead— Crazy, like Mudbutton Torchrunner. Instead he seems like a guy who got into some trouble with loansharks and the mob got ahold of him.

Dungrove Elder is awesome. It perfectly embodies this idea of the more forest it has, the more it can borrow from it and grow. Not sure about Hexproof, though.

I was going to email you this, but I got an "unknown author" error.  I'll post it here instead, buried alive in the mess of the forums.

Dear Brady Dommermuth,

Regarding your article "Eleventeen M12 Art Tidbits. Also, Plants":

You asked about Planeswalker named cards in your article, and I wanted to chime in.  One of my friends told me about this "cool card" that gave you unlimited hand size, and it was named "Jace's Journal" or something like that -- you know, Spellbook with a different name.  If you're going to make the planeswalkers have unique, named spells, then they really ought to be fairly unique in their function.  It isn't fun for "Chandra's Mild Annoyance" to be functionally identical to Lightning Bolt, even if it does make justifiable sense.  In the other direction, Soul's Fire could have been Ajani's, because it was designed to demonstrate how he enhances other people.

I expect it's a fine line to tread, but please try to make sure the planeswalker's spells are unique and distinct -- both distinct from the rest of Magic, and distinctive of them.  That's more important to me than "how many" of them I like or don't like.  How many will just be dictated by how involved the planeswalkers are in the events in a block.

I also wanted to say that I liked how Jace vs. Chandra handled the old cards.  Seal of Fire isn't "Chandra's Burning Seal", but she does feature prominently in the art.  I'm completely happy with that -- I'd be surprised if the planeswalkers didn't know some staple spells.

Goblin Grenade is too realistic to be funny, ever, for me. Maybe if he had a confused look and a backpack of TNT instead— Crazy, like Mudbutton Torchrunner. Instead he seems like a guy who got into some trouble with loansharks and the mob got ahold of him.

I agree! The art for the new Goblin Grenade just seems all wrong. Take away the disturbing, "this is your punishment for crossing the " feel of it, it also just doesn't make any sense. The earlier versions of the card depicted it as a sort of goblin suicide bombing--the kind of sneak attack that you just can't acheive with your standard Goblin Cannon or Grapeshot Catapult. If you're just going to tie him up, stuff him full of TNT, and throw him at your enemy, why bother with the goblin at all?
If you're just going to tie him up, stuff him full of TNT, and throw him at your enemy, why bother with the goblin at all?

You're underestimating their areodynamic qualities, it seems =p

But yeah. Don't like the art either.
"Just show us the best angel you can muster."

And the mission was accomplished perfectly if you ask me. That's the best looking angel I've ever seen on a Magic card.

As for signature spells for Planeswalker, I like the cards but I deslike their flavors. Mostly because I htink the Planeswalker characters are boring, bland, and just a marketing way of selling more products to most of the new players.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!

Hello,

I’m an old Beta era player, and I would like to say that I miss the days of simple oil, acrylic, and watercolor paint art in the MtG cards.  The old cards (ex. Alpha, Arabian Nights, Legends, etc.) had a really warm feel to them and just felt classy.  Furthermore, the objects were simply placed in the art like a museum gallery (ex. Feldon’s Cane).

I really don’t find the new computer spammed art to appealing.  It just feels jumbled and too much is going on in the picture that obscures the name of the card, plus it looks faked.  I guess a real world example of this would be to compare Van Gogh and Michelangelo to a painting made by a high school student.

Old Card Art:      Black Lotus a card with a simple hand painted elegant example of Nelumbo nucifera.

New Card Art:  A lotus made of digital laser beams crawling with chromatic ninja spiders with a fiery background and a skull watermark that looks like a trashy tattoo.

Also, I think it’s sad that in a lot of articles it’s referenced that the pictures have to be hardcore.  What about cards with art that just make you smile (ex. Shahrazad)?  Or a card that shows real emotion (ex. Miscalculation) not just “rawwr, I’m swinging an digitized battle axe as big as a dinosaur.”

I know that it’s all about the market, and that the young new players like violence and realistic blood, but come on people show some of the old taste and class.

I also wanted to say that I liked how Jace vs. Chandra handled the old cards.  Seal of Fire isn't "Chandra's Burning Seal", but she does feature prominently in the art.  I'm completely happy with that -- I'd be surprised if the planeswalkers didn't know some staple spells

I've decided I agree strongly here. Chandra's Phoenix should keep the art, but be called Furyborn Phoenix or something. Seal of Fire is a good name, is short and iconic, and depicts Chandra's use of it well. It makes sense that she could've learned it, and now you learn it because you came in contact with her, etc.

Now that I think about it, naming doesn't make sense. If it's her phoenix, then how can I use it? Once I copy it, it's no longer her phoenix, it's my phoenix. It's like I took   Chandra    's Pikachu, and now am using it... Looks like I stole it :/.

Keeping the art, however, makes you realize who you got the spell from without it looking like you're borrowing or stealing it.
It's just that being funny is really hard, and when you try to be funny and fail, it's worse than if you didn't try at all.

Agree 100 per cent. Knight of the Hokey Pokey and Goblin Grenade are ten times funnier than anything Phil Foglio produced.
I also wanted to say that I liked how Jace vs. Chandra handled the old cards.  Seal of Fire isn't "Chandra's Burning Seal", but she does feature prominently in the art.  I'm completely happy with that -- I'd be surprised if the planeswalkers didn't know some staple spells

I've decided I agree strongly here. Chandra's Phoenix should keep the art, but be called Furyborn Phoenix or something. Seal of Fire is a good name, is short and iconic, and depicts Chandra's use of it well. It makes sense that she could've learned it, and now you learn it because you came in contact with her, etc.

Now that I think about it, naming doesn't make sense. If it's her phoenix, then how can I use it? Once I copy it, it's no longer her phoenix, it's my phoenix. It's like I took   Chandra    's Pikachu, and now am using it... Looks like I stole it :/.

Keeping the art, however, makes you realize who you got the spell from without it looking like you're borrowing or stealing it.

Add me to this bandwagon as well. I don't necessarily dislike spells being named after a planeswalker, but this seems like a much better option.
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
Increasingly, we're doing this sort of speculative commissioning for illustrations we know will find homes in time... Because they're commissioned "out of context," they tend to be destined for core sets.

Aegis Angel having no context makes me wonder about the non-existent context of Core Sets :P.

I understand the imagination it takes to think of how I, as a planeswalker, got from Zendikar to Mirrodin. I use Elf spells from (the Eldrazi overran) Zendikar because maybe I befriended a tribe there and gained copies of them into my spellbook/library of memories. I then got out of there and hopped to Mirrodin for refuge. There I sympathized with Ezuri, Renegade Leader and gained his caricature and put into spell form on my travels as the land corroded.

However, I don't understand how I went to an imaginary fantasy land the core set represents, and how I took an imaginary Dungrove Elder from there and now suddenly know as a spell. Any thoughts?

Core sets aren't a self-contained setting, but that doesn't mean they are imaginary.  Just a smattering of random spells from various planes that have either been detailed in the past or are not important enough to dedicate an entire set to fleshing out (yet).
Dungrove Elder is the coolest looking Treefolk I've seen.

Goblin Grenade's Art looks too cruel for me. I know Magic art can depict more cruel things like eternal torture, etc. But the dynamite stuffed in the mouth is too much. I wish the goblin looked more gleeful, and then it would look comical. Goblin Chuckbangers got it perfectly, because it really looks as if the bomb could slip and go either way.

I like personal sanctuary's art, now that the details have been pointed out. A fantasy character munching on snacks and reading a casual book is a cute touch. I like how the boots are off, and how the armor is lying so far away from her for a relaxed feel.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Dungrove Elder is the coolest looking Treefolk I've seen. Goblin Grenade's Art looks too cruel for me. I know Magic art can depict more cruel things like eternal torture, etc. But the dynamite stuffed in the mouth is too much. I wish the goblin looked more gleeful, and then it would look comical. Goblin Chuckbangers got it perfectly, because it really looks as if the bomb could slip and go either way. I like personal sanctuary's art, now that the details have been pointed out. A fantasy character munching on snacks and reading a casual book is a cute touch. I like how the boots are off, and how the armor is lying so far away from her for a relaxed feel.

I agree that Goblin Grenade's art is rather unsettling.

FWIW, Distress is hands-down my favorite art from the set, and one of my favorite magic arts of all time (up there with M11's Deathmark).
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
In response to the planeswalker signature spells:

I like the concept. It really adds flavor to the planeswalkers to see what sort of magicks they wield and creatures they summon beyond their three (or four) on-card abilities. That said, I'm INCREDIBLY disappointed with Sorin's signature spells. Where Gideon gets creatures that not only combo with each other and Gideon himself, they also portray the types of people who'd follow him, and whom he'd summon in combat. Chandra gets two cards that combo with her card, and herself, as well as, again, showing us the type of magic she'd dish out in a duel. Same with Jace. And, though to a somewhat lesser extent on the comboing, with Garruk.

But then we have Sorin. Apparently the only defining trait design and development could come up with for the oldest planeswalker around is "he drinks blood". Sorin's been around for centuries. Is it really believable that the only combat tricks he knows are his own two fangs? His common spell is actually already printed on his card! The entire purpose of the signature spells is to expand on the spell repertoire we get with the planeswalker's card itself. This was a humongous missed opportunity for Sorin. If it was so hard to come up with interesting abilities for his spells, then we should have gotten Liliana again, instead. (At least then Chandra wouldn't be the only female planeswalker in the core set. Poor Chandra.)

Furthermore, there is little to no combo with Sorin's cards. The most "combo" you have is that he can set the opponent's life to 10, and then deal 10 damage to him/her. The two spells don't combo with each other at all, the common doesn't combo with Sorin, and neither one really screams "build around me" in general.

That all said... I really do enjoy Magic. It's one of the most creative examples of world-building in a game. The signature spells for Chandra, Jace and Gideon are just about perfection in cardboard, Garruk to a lesser extent but still pretty awesome. The fact that only one of the five sets really disappointed me (though it disappointed me A LOT because Sorin's my favorite planeswalker and black is my favorite color) is promising. Keep up the good work.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
For signature spells, I can't really tell if it's too much or not. I think one per color per rarity is just fine. It does feel a little bit too systematical, though. If there are future core sets whose main identity isn't planeswalkers, maybe you could mix things up more with the frequency of names and make it less systematic?

By the way, it would be interesting to have glimpses of the world through signature names of characters we don't know. Maybe some of them can be names that are actually going to be a card in a future expansion set, while others can just be strong personalities like Jaya Ballard was for a long time. I liked how old Magic kept you wondering with names like Serra or Hurkyll.

One thing I felt about names in M10 and M11: the names that appeared in the flavor text felt to me like fake names that were made up on the spur of the moment - as if they don't have any real background. I'm sorry if they did have background fleshed out, but they felt more made-up than names that appear in an expansion set's flavor text do. I'll need to go through M12 again to see if it feels that way again.
One of my friends told me about this "cool card" that gave you unlimited hand size, and it was named "Jace's Journal" or something like that -- you know, Spellbook with a different name.  If you're going to make the planeswalkers have unique, named spells, then they really ought to be fairly unique in their function.

The card you're thinking of is Venser's Journal, and it is functionally unique.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I was amazed that Wizards R&D does intentional art-down designs. I thought it was only for cases where a card that had art commissioned for it already got canceled.

I think it must be hard though - I love making fan cards based on art. But when I do it on a fan level, the art I download already exists in bulk, to choose from.

The art should contain some special characteristics (like the shield in Aegis Angel's hand) to inspire some mechanics, it can't be generic. How do you commission such art? What if the artist made a really beautiful and cool looking Angel art, but with no special characteristics to latch onto?

I found one artwork with interesting art. It had a split composition - the top 3/4s had a mage casting a spell with a red background. The bottom 1/4s had another mage casting a spell with a blue background. I made it into a enchantment that allows you to cast spells at the end of an opponent's turn. When you look at it that way, it does start to look as if the bottom mage is cutting into the top mage's turn.

It's interesting because I didn't know what I was going to use it for when I downloaded it. It's also interesting because if I were to commission art about casting a spell at the end of another player's turn, I wouldn't know how to describe what it should look like. Those are some good things about art-down design - how things can fall together serendipitously and become a card where everything fits together.

But how would one commission such art? "Make art that respresents a special kind of spellcasting (you choose what), in some abstract way?"

It seems like there needs to be lots of room for the artist to exercise whimsy, to create art that inspires a card mechanic, and for that to happen there has to be a margin for lots of hits and misses.
The people saying that Goblin Grenade's new art is disturbing are missing the point. The reason why the art is disturbing is because the concept is disturbing- it's a suicide bombing.
Sign In to post comments