Optimistic Thread - Speculation on DDI Update in July

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, now that July has rolled around, I was wondering what the DDI update would contain. There are no book releases this month so apart from Dragon and Dungeon from last month, will we get any feature upgrades in July?

This might be optimistic but I've been clutching at straws for a while here so what are the odds of substantial functional updates this month?

Thoughts or even comments from WotC staff are welcomeWink.
I suspect a pony.



(I have passed this on to WotC staff, to see if we can tease something out of them.)
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
I suspect a pony.



(I have passed this on to WotC staff, to see if we can tease something out of them.)



Thanks MB. Much appreciated.

Would be good to know what we're getting even if it is just Dragon and Dungeon (or nothing). 
Adding some functionality to the Monster Builder would be nice.

Also, fixing some of the reported issues with retraining/MC power swaps in the CB would be great.  I'm still having problems with that, though some are not.

Fixing error messages in the mobile Compendium site would rock too (if those are still happening).  

I have to say I do enjoy the new marketplace in CB and I'm really eager to see what's up for DDi this month.  I'd be perfectly happy with Dungeon and Dragon magazine updates and bug fixes, myself.

Maybe some pie.    

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Well it seems if anyone posts anything bad about DDi or WOTC here they get a one day ban, so yes, only optimistic  things here from now on.


Happyness is manditory.   
Well it seems if anyone posts anything bad about DDi or WOTC here they get a one day ban, so yes, only optimistic  things here from now on.


Happyness is manditory.   



One day?  Mods are getting soft.
1 word .... CUSTOM PORTRAITS !

Okay i lied, two. 

Tongue out 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Well it seems if anyone posts anything bad about DDi or WOTC here they get a one day ban, so yes, only optimistic  things here from now on.

Happyness is manditory.

One day?  Mods are getting soft.

I've posted my dissatisfaction with DDI quite regularly and quite vocally and have yet to receive any ban for doing so.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.
Well it seems if anyone posts anything bad about DDi or WOTC here they get a one day ban, so yes, only optimistic  things here from now on.


Happyness is manditory.   



I call total BS on this.  DDi has myriad problems which have been pointed out countless times by numerous people. Watch:

DDi has numerous problems, not the least of which is a non-functional monster builder.  Many members have neglected to renew their subscriptions shoosing to instead stick with the far-superior offline Character Builder instead of the new (still too slow for my liking) online CB.  The reduction in content and packaging of the magazines is a terrible decision for us consumers with no sensible explanation whatsoever.  Somebody, somewhere, must just like sticking it to us.  Lame! 

And WotC themselves?  They're all over the place with direction changes.  Nobody outside the company has any idea what is coming next, and I'll bet a good number of the designers are just as clueless. 

PLENTY of people post bad commentary on both DDi and WotC.  I have yet to see anybody banned just for that!
The only thing that seems to be mandatory is the obsessive thread crapping on DDi threads from certain individuals who aren't even subscribers.

I second the vote for custom portraits! 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I'm hoping for custom portraits, and maybe the unlocking of some of the MB functionality (though I understand that may rely on the readiness of the VT to do so).

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

The only thing that seems to be mandatory is the obsessive thread crapping on DDi threads from certain individuals who aren't even subscribers.



ouch!
Monster Builder, come on Monster Builder.
We'll know more about what's included in the July update after tomorrow's war meeting. What I can tell you right now is that the update will happen a week earlier than normal -- July 12 instead of 19. Somebody said why at an earlier meeting, but I must not have been really listening, because I don't remember the reason. It will come up again tomorrow, I'm sure. 

Steve 
If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.
Thanks Steve!  And yes, meetings are the devil, or at the very least catatonia inducing.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

We'll know more about what's included in the July update after tomorrow's war meeting. What I can tell you right now is that the update will happen a week earlier than normal -- July 12 instead of 19. Somebody said why at an earlier meeting, but I must not have been really listening, because I don't remember the reason. It will come up again tomorrow, I'm sure. 

Steve 



Thanks Steve for letting us know. 
The only thing that seems to be mandatory is the obsessive thread crapping on DDi threads from certain individuals who aren't even subscribers.
 



Potential customers can't complain? We complain because if those things were fixed, we'd subscribe again.

For me those things are bringing back the offline CB and/or MB, and adding more crunch to Dragon. In fact, even one of those would bring me back.
We'll know more about what's included in the July update after tomorrow's war meeting. What I can tell you right now is that the update will happen a week earlier than normal -- July 12 instead of 19. Somebody said why at an earlier meeting, but I must not have been really listening, because I don't remember the reason. It will come up again tomorrow, I'm sure. 

Steve 


Any chance we can get the long-promised update on Monster Builder improvements? Pretty please?

Thanks!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

The only thing that seems to be mandatory is the obsessive thread crapping on DDi threads from certain individuals who aren't even subscribers.
 



Potential customers can't complain? We complain because if those things were fixed, we'd subscribe again.

For me those things are bringing back the offline CB and/or MB, and adding more crunch to Dragon. In fact, even one of those would bring me back.


I believe the emphasis was on "certain individuals."
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.
We'll know more about what's included in the July update after tomorrow's war meeting. What I can tell you right now is that the update will happen a week earlier than normal -- July 12 instead of 19. Somebody said why at an earlier meeting, but I must not have been really listening, because I don't remember the reason. It will come up again tomorrow, I'm sure. 

Steve 



Good news indeed ! 

Thanks Steve for chiming in, even though you're not a DDi member, we appreciate your every visit and contributions on the DDi Boards ...  Wink


EDITED To Strikethrough 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

For me those things are bringing back the offline CB and/or MB, and adding more crunch to Dragon. In fact, even one of those would bring me back.


It's good you only need 1 since (from my perspective) only one of those things actually has a chance of happening.
Yes, thank you for chiming in, Steve.  We'll look forward to the news.

And thank you, Jharii, for clarifying my earlier remark.  You are correct.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

We'll know more about what's included in the July update after tomorrow's war meeting. What I can tell you right now is that the update will happen a week earlier than normal -- July 12 instead of 19. Somebody said why at an earlier meeting, but I must not have been really listening, because I don't remember the reason. It will come up again tomorrow, I'm sure. 

Steve 



Good news indeed ! 

Thanks Steve for chiming in, even though you're not a DDi member, we appreciate your every visit and contributions on the DDi Boards ... 



Do not compute – Steve has the red D&D Insider tag on his profile. 

Also, I agree with the custom portraits, or in lack of that, adding portraits to the races that have only one or two and fixing the problems with some of the portraits (like the Essentials Eladrin portrait – and a main character of one of the novels! – showing up in the Elf section).  In particular, Shadar-kai is crying out for more portraits.

But yeah, Steve, thanks for the forthright honesty and laid-back info as always.  And good luck in the war council tomorrow.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Do not compute – Steve has the red D&D Insider tag on his profile. 



WOW i hallucinated the Beholder tag. Foot in mouth

My apologies to Steve !   

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

The only thing that seems to be mandatory is the obsessive thread crapping on DDi threads from certain individuals who aren't even subscribers.
 



Potential customers can't complain? We complain because if those things were fixed, we'd subscribe again.



There is, to me and to many others I suspect, a difference between complaining and obsessive complaining/threadcrapping.

The first gets your point heard. The second turns your point into background noise.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
im glad i remembered to resub, cant wait to see themes in the cb.
The only thing that seems to be mandatory is the obsessive thread crapping on DDi threads from certain individuals who aren't even subscribers.
 



Potential customers can't complain? We complain because if those things were fixed, we'd subscribe again.

For me those things are bringing back the offline CB and/or MB, and adding more crunch to Dragon. In fact, even one of those would bring me back.



Please don't tell me you are blind to the difference between what you said and what KM.549 said.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

We'll know more about what's included in the July update after tomorrow's war meeting. What I can tell you right now is that the update will happen a week earlier than normal -- July 12 instead of 19. Somebody said why at an earlier meeting, but I must not have been really listening, because I don't remember the reason. It will come up again tomorrow, I'm sure. 

Steve 



I have to assume it's so that we'll get the update before my friends and I try to run a Tomb of Horrors game the following weekend. Glad someone up there is paying attention to MY NEEDS! Tongue out

Seriously though, I am really  happy to see that it's going to come out before that particular game! Not sure why it's happening but the timing is good for me and my group!
Is it this update that will have Dragon 400, or do we have to wait another month?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Is it this update that will have Dragon 400, or do we have to wait another month?


2 month delay.  Jan. Dragon in Mar. for example.
I'm hopeful (though don't necessarily actually expect) that maybe without any published releases this month they can "get ahead" a bit on some Dragon and Dungeon content, so maybe we can get some of the content a bit closer to the time it comes out.

That is of course unless they're planning some major feature updates. I'd be cool with that instead.
I'm hopeful (though don't necessarily actually expect) that maybe without any published releases this month they can "get ahead" a bit on some Dragon and Dungeon content, so maybe we can get some of the content a bit closer to the time it comes out.

That is of course unless they're planning some major feature updates. I'd be cool with that instead.



That was exactly my thinking in starting this thread though I didn't set it out very clearly (or at all possibly).

Given that there are no books to occupy everyone who does the updates is this vacation time, is it catch up on features time or is it something else entirely? If there were a wide reaching strategic plan one could argue that the July break from book publishing was deliberate so that some great improvements at Gen Con but that's stretching things.

I'm just intrigued as to what we're going to see.
Yeah, I'm curious too. But at the same time I certainly won't be upset if it's just another standard update, with Dungeon/Dragon content and a few bugfixes, delivered slightly early. Sometimes you just have to keep chugging along on the steady improvements and keeping pace with the published stuff.

But I'm hopeful that maybe we'll get something more!
Looks like they are doing the bare minimum--no new features, just content from 2 magazines.

But they are doing it a week early... I wonder how they can make that happen? 

They must be busy patting themselves on the back over the fab state of the monster builder. High Five!

 

Well,


 


     It's july 13th and themes were supposed to be in on July 12th according to community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

maybe it's me and i just can't find 'em.  Where are they supposed to be anyway?  Compendium? Builder? Both?



`Teo

The 13th? No it isn't.


The 13th? No it isn't.





yeah my computer and tiredness were a bad combination.  Embarassed See my apology here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

`Teo