Touhou Project

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone,

It took some prolonged boredom to bring me back from the dead... but sadly, here I am :3. I've been playing the Touhou games a lot recently, and they're a lot of fun, with memorable characters, awesome music, and... well... absurdly masochistic difficulty. Here are some cards!

Today I'm presenting one of the series' protagonists, Reimu Hakurei of the Hakurei Shrine, playable in all of the main games, and her spell cards.

[image loading]

Reimu Hakurei, Lazy Miko
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (R)
Flying, vigilance, double strike
~ enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step.
Whenever a creature attacks you, untap ~.
5/5

Reimu herself has a laidback and carefree manner, but when something abnormal happens, she goes to investigate. Incidentally, she is often-called the "red-white," and I was happy that these are her colors in MTG's color wheel, as well. She starts off idle, but quickly comes to your defense to bring the beatdown.

[image loading]

Evil Sealing Circle
Enchantment (C)
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent skips his or her next combat phase.
: Exile ~ and target attacking creature.

This spell card makes it real hard for a character with a narrow shot to get in attacks, and it's real easy to over-extend into it. In MTG terms, on-board tricks are kind of mean, but this is something that you are fully intended to play around.

[image loading]

Duplex Barrier
Sorcery (C)
Target creature can't block this turn. ~ deals 3 damage to that creature's controller.

Far from being a defensive measure, this is just two approaches to the fundamental goal of killing you: restricting your movement and seeking you out.

[image loading]

Duplex Danmaku Bounded Field [/m] /> pan yle="e-deoaon:ndelne">Landpan> () /> [m]: Add to your mana pool.
, : Until the beginning of the next end step, lands enter the battlefield tapped.

The name was too long to fit mana symbols without shrinking the font, so I ended up having to make this a Land >_>. It's a strictly worse Rishadan Port, which means I think the power level is about right .

[image loading]

Flying Mysterious Shrine Maiden
Creature - Human Cleric Avatar (W)
Flash
Flying, vigilance
Cast ~ only if you are being attacked by three or more creatures.

This is a very variance-dependent card. Sometimes you get caught at a bad angle and simply can't escape. Likewise, sometimes your opponents' deck just isn't aggro, and you'll never be able to cast this. While I would avoid putting a card like this in an actual set, here I think it is acceptable.

[image loading]

Fantasy Seal - Blink
Instant (R)
Attacking creatures you control become a copy of target attacking creature until end of turn, then untap those creatures. After this combat, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.

When I first played Imperishable Night I had no idea what was going on during this card, but it led to me dying. A lot. Enough said.

[image loading]

Fantasy Seal
Sorcery (R)
Exile each opponent's graveyard. For the rest of the game, your opponents can't cast spells that share a name with a card exiled this way.

This is a bit of a stretch, I admit, but I feel like this is a very White effect - erase the mistakes of the past and forcefully prevent them from occurring again. It also fits Reimu's philosophy, where all the end-stage bosses end up becoming very friendly. In following games as playable characters, they too go to avert the next set of impending catastrophes :D.

[image loading]

Yin-Yang Sanctifier Orb
Artifact - Equipment (R)
When Yin-Yang Sanctifier Orb enters the battlefield, if it’s not a token, put four tokens that are copies of Yin-Yang Sanctifier Orb onto the battlefield.
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and gains first strike.
Equip

Lots and lots of Yin Yang Orbs. Cute kittens not included.

[image loading]

Demon Binding Circle
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Damage enchanted creature would deal is dealt to its controller instead.
: Attach ~ to target creature.

Try and attack, and you die. Try again, and you die. Try something different, and you die. I'm kind of surprised that outside of Guilty Conscience, this effect hasn't been printed before.

[image loading]

Fantasy Heaven
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a nontoken creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a token that’s a copy of that creature onto the battlefield under your control.

Another departure from a strict portrayal, this also echoes the "defeated enemies become friends" theme. I'm not great at costing big spells like this, but I feel like 7 CMC is about right for obscenely one-sided effects :D.

So that's all for now. I will probably be doing these periodically, so please suggest characters for me to do. I've played PCB, IN, MoF, and UFO, and by default I plan on doing Marisa Kirisame next.

Cheers and hope you enjoyed,
Michael
First off, Reimu is not red-white. Red-white is the color of zealotry and militaristic aggression. Reimu is lazy and self-interested. Excluding PC-98 games (because I don't know them well), she only acts twice (EoSD and Ten Desires) because it was the right thing to do (Three times if you count Marisa/Sakuya routes in IN). Reimu is black, with maybe a white or red splash (So an unbalanced cost like WBB or RBB would fit best). Laziness and self-interest motivate her for the most part, with general boredom covering most other cases. Kanako would be red-white because she is aggressively zealous.

That said, the last two abilities reflect her laziness pretty well. I think toning down her keyword abilities (Just first strike would work well) and upping her cost a bit would work nicely ( perhaps).

The X Sign is unnecessary on most of these cards. Those subtypes don't mean anything and are just clutter. If you really want to integrate spell cards, make other cards that care about them. Even then, avoid those cards ending up like the Arcane and Trap subtype. If you want a subtype though, I'd make them under the catch all "Spell Card" type. The only other problem is that Enchantments and Sorceries/instants cannot share subtypes.

I like Evil Sealing Circle, but would cost it at and an activation cost of just .

Duplex Barrier is fine.

Bounded Field is terrible. It's too slow to be any good and doesn't really deny the player resources. I would also imagine boundaries to be more like enchantments than lands.

FMSM is okay, but kind of wordy. Also Human Cleric Avatar is a weird group of subtypes. I don't thin Reimu has ever copied herself, even as an illusion.

This should be blue-red, not red-white (WUR is also reasonable). Seems like an interesting card though.

I don't know how I feel about fantasy seal. It definitely needs some black in its cost, because of graveyard hate, but it certainly feels like a white card. I like it overall, but I can't really decide if it's broken or not. The existence of similar cards make it seem okay, but this still strikes me as powerful. Fairly good on flavor though.

I like the YinYang Orbs. I'd limit it to 3 copies though (because that's how many she usually has at most. Formating is wrong though. It should be Artifact - Equipment on the typeline. It should technically be legendary, but I can excuse it because of the tokens.

Excluding Divine Arts subtype, I would increase the cost on Demon Binding Circle. I'd also reword the ability to "If enchanted creature would deal damage, it deals that much damage to its controller instead."

Fantasy Heaven seems more black, given cards like Endless Whispers. Otherwise a cool card.

By the way, I'd avoid putting flying on creatures without wings because remember almost everyone can do it.
Meow, thanks for the feedback!

There is more than one interpretation of red-white. In the Boros model, you are certainly correct, but that is not the only set of appreciable red and white traits that can be combined in a character.

The X sign thing is not a conscious design decision, so don't make too much of it.

Evil Sealing Circle can be activated in response to itself, so the costs are as they are. I'm pretty sure skipping a combat is a trivial enough effect to be costed at W, looking at Stonehorn Dignitary and Blinding Angel.

Bounded Field came about as a land because I couldn't fit mana symbols :3. Probably not the best way to go about design, but I did these as renders first for a friend, so pardon me. As a specific hate card like Homeward Path, it's not meant to aggressively deny resources (see Rishadan Port for the ramifications of that) but rather guard against some hypothetical combo.

FMSM is a bad card from a design standpoint, as I've said, and a flavor standpoint, but the name made it difficult to do anything but a creature.

Mirrorweave gives precedent for Blink, especially since it's focused on combat.

For Fantasy Seal, it is definitely backbreaking now that I think on it. Haunting Echoes at least made it so that you wouldn't draw dead cards, but this should have been an enchantment with a static ability so you could at least hope to deal with it. I think white can get flavorful graveyard hate, especially as a big and not really utility effect.

Sorry about the formatting on the Orbs, that was my mistake.

For Demon Binding Circle, I think both wordings work, though yours is admittedly more common. On power level, it's basically a worse Pacifism that turns into an on-board trick to play around.

Fantasy Heaven harkens to Debtor's Knell and Pyrrhic Revival. I think the "you died to the crusade, and now you will fight for it" idea fits white just as well as the "your corpse will do my bidding" idea for black.

Again, thanks for the feedback! I will definitely try and put more thought into these if and when I continue with them

I'm not sure if I want to craft a new evasion ability for this, but I'll look into it. Good point.
You'll notice many of my sorceries/instants in YMTC have the type "spell card" it will become significant for interactions in the Touhou-themed set I'm planning. If you liked Castlevania (specifically SoTN) try 'Stranger's Requiem II' You shouldn't be disappointed. Currently obsessed with: Touhou, <3 Yukari

Slightly too powerful for the cost?

You'll notice many of my sorceries/instants in YMTC have the type "spell card" it will become significant for interactions in the Touhou-themed set I'm planning. If you liked Castlevania (specifically SoTN) try 'Stranger's Requiem II' You shouldn't be disappointed. Currently obsessed with: Touhou, <3 Yukari

I've decided I should stop making exclusively legendary rares for my touhou cards, so I figured a few staple spells would be in order.  The Ichirin/Unzan idea just suddenly came to me while making the other 3 spells.
I'm not all that happy with Quadruple Barrier, as it's quite wordy for an uncommon, but what can you do?  /shrug.
More spell cards!

I am planning on making a lot more of the specific spell cards so I can have even more commons/uncommons to go with the abundance of rare Touhou cards I've been producing, as many have noted that I have a tendancy to stick with legendaries.

With that said, I have some older cards that I had promised I would take another look at and fix, which I did, I showed a few of the alpha versions of these cards to some of my friends and one who is a tournament judge had some interesting ideas that I incorporated into a few of them.

Comments and constructive critique always appreciated.

Because someone had to at some point....
I'm sory for not having any real input, but I would like to say that I love this thread.  Those are some awesome cards and I always like seeing my current obcession (Magic) mixed with my former obcession (Anime).  The cards are both interresting and beautiful.
Show
My Decks http://community.wizards.com/vennsvaults/go/forum/viewcategory/138835/Venns_Vaults My Bronation Station http://community.wizards.com/pony My 1000th post! On Thursday 03/13/2011! Yay St. Patric's day. How to play many other Casual Magic Formats http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29198663/?sdb=1&pg=last#521400213 Many of these were on the Magic Resources Site years ago. It was removed around the time 2HG became a sanctioned format. Purple Work Station http://community.wizards.com/purpleworkstation/go/forum/viewboard IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
now do an entire 60 card deck with nothing but custiom made cards for each charicter ( flandre deck would be either black red, or black white red, and it would be op~ ) 
I'm sory for not having any real input, but I would like to say that I love this thread.  Those are some awesome cards and I always like seeing my current obcession (Magic) mixed with my former obcession (Anime).  The cards are both interresting and beautiful.

You should check out Lotus Cobra is Evil, which has everyone as a Touhou character. Even Primeval Titan becomes a moe girl. Seriously.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt