Free RPG Day pdf

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi there at Wizards,

can we have the Histaven pdf please.

Greetz

g4
seconded, i really want this and have no way to get it
Thirded? LGS didn't have their crap together, so I missed out.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Fourthed.  

We don't have a FLGS, or even an LGS.  Heck, we're lookin' at two hours just to get to a "GS."

It'd be nice.  
Jackonomicon™ It's not always safe for work, but it's great for play. It's my blog, yo.
Fifth'd. I couldn't make it to that game day, and our two remotely-local FLGS's don't have any more in stock.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Sixth. 
Plus you need to consider how many shop owners manupulate the free suply by doing things like requiring you to buy other products to get the free magazine, only give them out to their regular and/or favorite customers, or sell them instead of giving them away.

Getting a paper copy is nice, but if wizards has no intention of selling the adventure, there is no reason no to release a pdf copy, maybe they could wait 6 months then release it for free on their website.  
Several other companies have already released PDFs of their Free RPG Day offerings. I don't see why WOTC couldn't do the same.

I was unable to attend myself and I would love to get my hands on this product.

There are a bunch up on eBay so I wouldn't say *no* way to get it.

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

Oh, and prices aren't too bad. Not as good as "free" but not bad nonetheless. I just ordered my copy.

i took your advice and just bought it for 10.99 including shipping
Doesn't releasing a PDF defeat the purpose? I understand that some stores manipulate the process, but Free RPG Day is designed to get people into brick-and-mortar stores. There's cool, exclusive stuff, but you have to actually go to a participating store to get it. Plus, the kits aren't cheap.

I understand that not everyone has an FLGS within a reasonable distance, but that's the drawback of living in certain places. If you don't have a participating store near you or didn't go to one on Free RPG Day, you have to pay a premium to get the material—i.e., eBay.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
I have a FLGS - they charged for the Free RPG day stuff (though indirectly - by forcing you to play in an event to be able to pick)

I put in a complaint.

so, PDF please!
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
Doesn't releasing a PDF defeat the purpose?

Nope.

The free RPG Day handouts still serve their purpose -- providing incentive to go to the events and providing material for the stores to distribute. Releasing a free PDF does not diminish this. It may still be free, but it is not in the handy print product format (a big deal to some) and it wasn't acquired "first" (a big deal to others).
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Woah. Having grabbed a copy of this while picking up my [redacted to avoid edition/system wars] suppliment for Free RPG Day, I think you paid too much.

I thought the Wizards free RPG product was the weakest of the releases (well, the Dungeon Crawl Classics not-an-adventures were not my cup of tea, either).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in my quick scan of this, it's not even an adventure or a source book. It's more of an adventure locale. Some NPCs and a location in the Shadowfell your players can explore. But no stats, or monsters, or adventure arcs or anything.

Just "Hey, here's a place you can go while you're in the shadow fell" kinda like something that got left out of the Gloomwrought box and repackaged as something "new" for Free RPG day.

To put it more simply: It's all fluff, no crunch. I thought you hated fluff, Frothsof?

Don't get me wrong, for someone who wants more stuff for their Shadowfell campaign, its a useful product, and appropriately priced: at Free.
must have me mistaken, ive never said i dont like fluff, i read dnd books for fun. also, 11 bucks is not a lot of money to me. also, i love the shadowfell box so having another little piece is something i want
must have me mistaken, ive never said i dont like fluff, i read dnd books for fun. also, 11 bucks is not a lot of money to me. also, i love the shadowfell box so having another little piece is something i want

Good! Glad I was mistaken.
since were on the subject of rip offs though, i got 40% off the new monster vault and still feel like i overpayed
Doesn't releasing a PDF defeat the purpose? I understand that some stores manipulate the process, but Free RPG Day is designed to get people into brick-and-mortar stores. There's cool, exclusive stuff, but you have to actually go to a participating store to get it. Plus, the kits aren't cheap.

Magic online hasn't killed magic card sales.  People like having dead trees.  Personally I just don't have the space and the less stuff I have physically to deal with each time I move the better, so PDF is a much superior product for me and I didn't even bother picking up Histaven.  Obviously now I'm kicking myself as it would have been an easy $10.  I sense (more) corruption and graft in games day's future.  Next time I'm going to bribe the store to give me a bunch of copies to eBay.  Sealed

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in my quick scan of this, it's not even an adventure or a source book. It's more of an adventure locale. Some NPCs and a location in the Shadowfell your players can explore. But no stats, or monsters, or adventure arcs or anything. 

16 pages, not including cardstock cover.  Minus 2 pages for ads.

A "hand drawn" map of the area.

A lot of stats for monsters/npcs.

Info for the area of Histaven.

2 page outline for an encounter.

Nice.

I have the Pathfinder PDF free module for the day.  By content I don't see it as better.  Have no idea in terms of production value.

awesome thanks for the breakdown, sounds well worth it to me
Sign In to post comments