YMtC's Next Top BelangiaJo

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome! do you like making cards? do you enjoy crafting elegant flavors and innovative mechanics? are you BelangiaJo? if you answered yes to all three, THIS IS THE CONTEST FOR YOU! step right up, take a shot, and you could become YMTC'S NEXT TOP BELANGIAJO! what are you waiting for? time is limited, so get your auditions in quickly for this, the first annual YMtC's Next Top BelangiaJo!

throughout YMtC history, BelangiaJos of all sorts have held a special place, hosting contests and designing cards while being BelangiaJo, a feat none have been able to match. from his current cudgel troll avatar to ones he totally had but I don't remember, the sight of a BelangiaJo was enough to make lesser YMtCers run in fear. can you capture this truly BelangiaJo essence? can you step up to the plate? can you become YMtC's Next Top BelangiaJo? only time, and this contest, will tell.

so what criterion could so perfectly distill the essence of BelangiaJo? how could one possibly capture all that it takes to be BelangiaJo in one simple, beautiful challenge? well, there's certainly ways to do it, but instead I just stole the criteria he posted for his own contest! because that seems easier to me.

criteria
CRITERION:
I have been relatively nostalgic lately, so let's revisit Ravnica again.
Choose one of the following guild combinations:

• Gruul and Izzet

• Golgari and Orzhov

• Azorius and Boros

• Selesyna and Simic

• Rakdos and Dimir

Using the color that the two guilds in the combination share, make a card that fits the ideologies of both guilds. (You must use the color the guilds share. You may also use any combination of the other two colors of the guilds, but do not use colors not represented in the chosen combination.)

NOTE: contest only available to users who are BelangiaJo.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
lol
*subscribes*

Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
I still don't understand why the options aren't set so that each pair has a single, different shared color.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
I still don't understand why the options aren't set so that each pair has a single, different shared color.

I agree with you.

but I didn't write the criteria.

I suppose that's just part of being YMtC's Next Top BelangiaJo.

It was the result of a mental misstep followed by the inability to change the criterion due to three submissions in progress.
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
In fact, being who I am, here is the updated criteria* for me to complete:

Updated:
CRITERIA*:
I have been relatively nostalgic lately, so let's revisit Ravnica again.

• Azorius and Selesyna ()

• Dimir and Izzet ()

• Golgari and Orzhov ()

• Boros and Rakdos ()

• Gruul and Simic ()

Using the color that the two guilds in the combination share, make a card that fits the ideologies of both guilds. (You must use the color the guilds share. You may also use any combination of the other two colors of the guilds, but do not use colors not represented in the chosen combination.)

*I will complete each of these combinations.
I've always wanted to be YMtC's next top BelangiaJo.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.

• Azorius and Selesyna ()

• Dimir and Izzet ()

• Golgari and Orzhov ()

• Boros and Rakdos ()

• Gruul and Simic ()

Gruul and Izzet???

Hell Flash | :W::B:
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, they can't be regenerated.
Hellbent - As long as you have no cards in hand, destroy all nonwhite, nonblack creatures. They can't be regenerated.

Incredible Schemes

Sorcery

Replicate
Search your library for an instant or sorcery card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

"Powerful ally. Devious. Unhealthy obsession with impractical parlour tricks."
–Szadek's notes on Niv-Mizzet

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I'm participating in this contest under the Vanguard format. Here's my Vanguard card:

BelangiaJo 
At the beginning of your upkeep step you may choose a creature. If you do, exile that creature.
Starting and Max Hand Size: -2
Starting Life: -4

Excellent, I now qualify.

Slough

Instant
Destroy target permanent you control.
The foundations of creeds and compost are each borne on the bones of the dead.

I was originally going to make a new account called 'TotallyNotBelangiaJo', with an avatar identical to BelangiaJos except sporting a monacle and mostache and comment in this thread, but it turned out to be too much work. So instead, just pretend I did so. And find it hillarious.

Also, yay for a chance at being the judge who kicked me out of the first round of the Brain! No, I am not bitter, why do you ask?

Stop, Saproling Time
Instant
Put 5 1/1 Saproling tokens onto the battlefield. Then, for each creature you control, tap another target creature.
Forecast - Put a 1/1 green Saproling token onto the battlefield.
I'm actually an MUP of BelangiaJo. So are Razorborne, Elevate, Crouch and 1darkangel6.

You heard it here first.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I'm actually an MUP of BelangiaJo. So are Razorborne, Elevate, Crouch and 1darkangel6.

You heard it here first.

Don't forget Mono and Bankai.
quote]

So deal with it... Wink
I considered making another account, and swapping out an L or i in his name with the other one, but found out I didn't bother.

Renew
Sorcery
Return target permanent card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Dimir and Izzet ()
ummm fun an stuff

Cataclysm Seeker
Creature - Wizard Rebel
~ is unblockable
When ~ deals damage to a player look at the top 3 cards of your library, reveal an instant or sorcery from among them and put it in your hand, put the rest on the top of your library in any order.
The Izzet had no idea there was a trator in their ranks, preparing for the disaster of the century.
2/4

Show
Dimir wants nothing more then to decieve and never bring up suspision. So i made an unblockable rebel trator in the izzet guild. The izzet are specifically toned to reserch against natural disasters (i took as instants ans sorcerys) so since dimir is so schemeing their train of thought is to uitilize this knowlege to create the disasters first off throwing off the izzet records and second uprise during the times of chaos and destruction leaving them in power and those that don't surrender to them under siege by the elements.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Show
To the window did I flee, chased by the spirits of three, I took out my gun and aimed for his head, Nailed myself to the floor with a bullet insted.
I don't care if I'm not BelangiaJo.

Sinister Tutelage
Sorcery
Each player discards his or her hand. He or she then searches his or her library for up to seven cards, shuffles his or her library, and puts those cards on top of it in any order.
"First, I want you to forget everything you've learnt so far."

Rakdos and Dimir, obviously.
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.

Gather Intel ()
Sorcery
Replicate ()
Look at the top card of your library. You may shuffle your library.
Reveal the top card of your library. If was paid to cast Gather Intel, target opponent reveals his or her hand and you choose a card with converted mana cost less than the revealed card. That player discards that card. If was paid to cast Gather Intel, Gather Intel deals damage equal to that card's converted mana cost to target creature.
Transmute
Information as a vital resource is a fact. Whether for espionage or explosions is another matter.  

Cloudscroll Pegasus -
Creature - Pegasus
Convoke
Forecast - , Reveal Cloudscroll Pegasus from your hand: Up to three target creatures you control become white, blue and green until end of turn.
Flying
3/3
Cloudscroll Pegasus -
Creature - Pegasus
Convoke
Forecast - , Reveal Cloudscroll Pegasus from your hand: Up to three target creatures you control become white, blue and green until end of turn.
Flying
3/3

What the hell are you doing in this contest?

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm BelangiaJo!

Fiery Enforcement -
Instant
Counter target spell. If it was a creature, ~ deals 2 damage to each creature. If it wasn't, put a 2/2 white knight creature token with first strike onto the battlefield.
The law will be upheld, even if I have to enforce it myself!
My Acheivements
56967648 wrote:
banslayeriscute, did you seriously just design a second, equally awesome card instead of just changing your first, incredibly awesome card to be a Human Advisor because he was cooler as a Demon? because if so then you're basically the coolest designer ever, and I don't believe that you actually only joined these boards four months ago.
56265826 wrote:
baneslayeriscute: Sometimes the simple little effects are the best ones. This works, and the only thing that needs to be changes is "in play" to "onto the battlefield." Are you sure you only joined in August? With that, I've come to the fairly conclusive decision that baneslayeriscute made the most interesting card for us to build around. Here it is (with a slight templating fix), so congrats on getting the most important piece of the deck in there!
93126759 wrote:
Ariana, Angel-Mage of Bant Creature - Angel Wizard Flying, Vigilance When Ariana, Angel-Mage of Bant enters the battlefield, search your library for a permanent card with converted mana cost 3 or less and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library afterward. 3/4
56265826 wrote:
baneslayeriscute: Solid, elegant, and printable. Seems like a fine card to me. Flame Wheel - Instant Each player discard their hand, then draws three cards. ~ deals damage to each player equal to the number of cards that player drew this turn. Luck favors the prepared. Fire is less choosey. Ranking 1. baneslayeriscute 2. 13th Horseman 3. Buried Child Congrats to baneslayeriscute!
56265826 wrote:
Here's how this is going to work. I'm just going to quote each card that's going into the deck.
93126759 wrote:
Adjudicate - Instant Exile target permanent. "Guilty."
56265826 wrote:
Alright, here are my selections for this round.
93126759 wrote:
Kristina of the Woods - Planeswalker - Kristina [+1]: Untap target creature. It gets +1/+1 until end of turn. [-1]: Destroy target artifact or enchantment. [-6]: Search your library for up to two creature cards, reveal them, and put them into play. Shuffle your library afterwards. [3]
Goontak the Goontakded
Legendary Creature - Goontak
Equipment you control are goontakded.
Equipment you don't control aren't goontakded.
"Grmmmm groken gloglam!"
3/2
I hope y'all aren't expecting me to grade all these.

I wanna be the Belangia!

Lifegraft -
Enchantment
Saprolings are +1/+1 counters and +1/+1 counters are saprolings.
(A +1/+1 counter creature not on another creature is on itself.)

Rewriting the Conclave's laws? Check. Rewriting Society's laws? Check. Rewriting Nature's laws? Check.
IMAGE(http://kherkeep.com/images/smilies/plowbeast.png)Why can't everyone see the inherent goodness in destruction? Or the evil in creation? A forest cannot live without the nutrients provided by the destructive force of a forest fire. And if I am wrong, then why is lifeblood of creation - water - the most destructive force on the planet? 701.4. Cast
I hope y'all aren't expecting me to grade all these.

Well no, but I'm expecting some comments from anyone, at least.
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.
gruul simic

Cytoclaw Savage |
Creature - Bear
Graft 2
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on Cytoclaw Savage.
0/0
Cloudscroll Pegasus -
Creature - Pegasus
Convoke
Flying
3/3

What the hell are you doing in this contest?

He's actually the only legit contestant here.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
belangia:  you gonna grade our cards?

Belangia isn't the judge, I am.

Cloudscroll Pegasus -
Creature - Pegasus
Convoke
Flying
3/3

this is bad 0/a million

I predict razorborne will be You Make the Card's next top BelangiaJo.