Implements?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Im a little confused about how to acquire these, use them, and how they are activated? Are they like runes where you can use different ones that do different things?
An implement is simply a tool that spellcasters use to improve their magic.  Generally, an implement is not useful unless it is magical.  In that case, it will have an enhancement bonus that grants a bonus to attacks and damage made with that implement.  It will also have other effects depending on the specific type of implement.

Some class features and feats will also grant additional bonuses or affects for using a specifi implement.

Your character's class description will let you know what implements your class can receive benefits from. 
Think of them like weapons, only they're for spellcasters.  You use them when you use a power with the Implement keyword, which indicates that it's a spell-flavored power and not a weapon-flavored one.  Specific implements can do different things, but that's largely due to the magic enchantments that can be placed on them.  Mundane, non-magical implements don't have any particular special qualities, though they can be enhanced through feats to do interesting things (such as Orb Expertise increasing the distance of forced movements of powers you use with an Orb).

You acquire them in the same way you would acquire weapons.  For mundane and simple magical things, usually buying them.  You will also find them as loot in your travels.

They are not "activated" in the sense that you seem to mean, however.  Some of the magical versions have passive properties that are always on whenever you're holding the implement, but in general the implement is really only "used" when you're making an attack with it.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
How to acquire them:  Just like weapons, essentially.  Buy basic ones and get better ones as magic items as your character progresses.

How to use them: Again, pretty much like a weapon, except there is no proficiency bonus.  A wizard makes an attack using a magic staff the same way the fighter makes an attack with a magic sword  or a ranger with a magic bow.  He rolls the attack and adds the plus of the implement and any other bonuses and compares that to an appropriate defense.  Some implemets will often have other abilities but that varies from implememt to implement.

How to activate them:  Like any other magic item.

Your runes question I don't get so I can't answer. 
so lets say i have an implament that gives me +1 to my attack rolls for any of my magic spells, can i just use it every turn or is it a one time thing?
so lets say i have an implament that gives me +1 to my attack rolls for any of my magic spells, can i just use it every turn or is it a one time thing?

YOu can use it every turn.  Again, in that sense it is no different than a fighter having a +1 sword. 

So basically every turn i can say "im using this along with my attack to add *insert effect here* "

So since its like a weapon does it take up a spot of your gear? like does it take a weapon spot or anything like that? or is it part of my inventory like chalk or rope or something?
So basically every turn i can say "im using this along with my attack to add *insert effect here* "

So since its like a weapon does it take up a spot of your gear? like does it take a weapon spot or anything like that? or is it part of my inventory like chalk or rope or something?

Well, you only really need to say that if you posess multiple implements. If you only have one implement and it is equipped, it is assumed that you are using it with your Implement powers.

And, yes, implements must be wielded in order to have an effect on your powers. Most implements can be equipped in your "off hand." Holy Symbols and Ki Focuses have their own slot to signify that they are equipped, but they leave your hands free.

ah ok so if i have a dagger in my right hand then in my left would be the implament right?

You ccan use the plus to hit and damage every turn, yes.  As for other powers, its just like any other magic item's powers, it depends on whether the power is at-will, encounter or daily.

ah ok so if i have a dagger in my right hand then in my left would be the implament right?

Unless you can use a dagger as an implement (sorcerers and swordmages get to do this), then yes, you'd want to put your implement in your other hand.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
so if have a dagger in my main hand and a parry dagger in my off hand then i cant use an implement then?
so if have a dagger in my main hand and a parry dagger in my off hand then i cant use an implement then?

No unless the dagger is itself an implement or the implement is a holy symbol or ki focus.  The latter two do not need to be equipped to a hand slot to function, merely carried on your person.

Maybe you should clue us in as to what you are trying to do? We might be able to provide some better help.

If you are a Wizard, Invoker, Psion or Sorcerer, you can get the same defensive bonus as a Parrying Dagger for the same Feat cost by taking the Staff Fighting Feat (as opposed to Superior Weapon Proficiency: Parrying Dagger). Same goes if you are a Warlock, except that you will take Rod Expertise instead of Staff Fighting.

If you are a Swordmage, your Light or Heavy Blade IS your implement (and you will gain a greater AC bonus by keeping a hand free).

No unless the dagger is itself an implement or the implement is a holy symbol or ki focus.  The latter two do not need to be equipped to a hand slot to function, merely carried on your person.

This answered my question. Thanks. Also i was just using parrying dagger as an example, i dont have it yet ^_^

This answered my question. Thanks. Also i was just using parrying dagger as an example, i dont have it yet ^_^

Yeah, as others have said, think of implements as being a magical type of weapon used for spellcasting. Holy symbols and ki focus you don't need to hold, but they're the exception to the rule. Even so those work basically the same way, adding their enhancement to your attack rolls.

The main differences between implements and weapons are that you don't get any proficiency bonus with implements and they don't have any designated damage dice, so there are no 'W' implement powers.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Sign In to post comments