Battleragor vigor invigorating?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
These powers are so messed up in description.

As I understand it a fighter (weaponmaster) with BR Vigor and using an invigoration power will gain con temp hp if he hits or misses with an attack.
but I have seen no revision of the definition of invigorating.

so I have heard the temps no longer stack. is this true?

and does a non BR vigor fighter,   trained in endurance, still get a bonus from invigorating powers?
Correct THP never stacks.

If a Battlerager Fighter Hit with an Invigorating Attack, it will gain 2x. CON mod in THP.  

If a Battlerager Fighter Miss with an Invigorating Attack, it will gain 1x. CON mod in THP. 

If a Battlerager Fighter Hit with a non-Invigorating Attack, it will gain 1x. CON mod in THP. 

If a Battlerager Fighter Miss with a non-Invigorating Attack, it will gain no THP.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Excellent and concise breakdown, Plaguescarred!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Minor point: They never did stack. Ever. They never have, and I wouldn't bet a bitcoin that they ever will.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Minor point: They never did stack. Ever. They never have, and I wouldn't bet a bitcoin that they ever will.

They originally did my friend. You never saw a BRV out of the Press line ?  They were iron-clad Tank truly Smile

Here's the original Class Feature:

MP 6 Battlerager Vigor: Each time an enemy hits you with a melee or a close attack, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (after the attack is resolved). When you gain temporary hit points by hitting with an attack that has the invigorating keyword, those temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you already have.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

again
does a non BR vigor fighter,   trained in endurance, still get a bonus from invigorating powers?

and for feats triggered on invigorating powers like improved vigor  does the BR miss on a invig power also get the bonus do you think?

Yes, anyone trained in endurance can gain temp HP from an invigorating power.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

and for feats triggered on invigorating powers like improved vigor  does the BR miss on a invig power also get the bonus do you think?

I have been interpretting it as yes (I'm using Dwarf Stoneblood) being you get the THP from "using an invigorating power", which you have done.

Hitting with an Invigorating Power gives any creature having training in Endurance some Temporary Hit Points, not just Fighters, or Battlerager Vigors.

PHB 2- 220 Invigorating Power: If a creature has training in Endurance, it gains temporary hit points equal to its Constitution modifier when it hits with a power that has the invigorating keyword.

Feats giving bonuses to the number of Temporary Hit Points you gain from using an Invigorating Power, such as Improved Vigor or Dwarf Stoneblood, gives it either the attack Hit or Miss.

MP 136 Improved Vigor: You gain a +1 feat bonus to the number of temporary hit points you gain from using an invigorating power.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Dwarf Stoneblood has a pre-req of BRV Fighter, though. 
Hitting with an Invigorating Power gives any creature having training in Endurance some Temporary Hit Points, not just Fighters, or Battlerager Vigors.

PHB 2- 220 Invigorating Power: If a creature has training in Endurance, it gains temporary hit points equal to its Constitution modifier when it hits with a power that has the invigorating keyword.

Feats giving bonuses to the number of Temporary Hit Points you gain from using an Invigorating Power, such as Improved Vigor or Dwarf Stoneblood, gives it either the attack Hit or Miss.

MP 136 Improved Vigor: You gain a +1 feat bonus to the number of temporary hit points you gain from using an invigorating power.

I never noticed that (never played a Battlerager), but that's a pretty awsome feature. I just went back through the compenedium and realized that the rattling keyword also has additional effects if you're trained in Intimidate.

Pretty cool.

I'd like to see more powers with keywords that give additional benefits if players are trained in a particular skill or feat...

Stealthy: If a creature has training in Stealth, and misses with an attack that has the stealthy keyword, it can make a Stealth check as an immediate action.

Confounding: If a creature has training in Bluff, and hits with a power that has the confounding keyword, the target grants combat advantage until the end of the user’s next turn.

Mobile: If a creature has training in Acrobatics, and hits with a power that has the mobile keyword, it can slide 1 square as an immediate action.
That could be kinda cool, yeah - but Stealthy would have to specify that the creature must have total concealment or superior cover.  Mobile would not do much very often, since you can't take immediates on your own turn.  If it were a free action, it would be extremely powerful - you'd also have to use the correct term, you probably mean shift rather than slide.

The concept is very nice, though, and I'd love to see it applied to more skills in the manner you suggest, in order to give some skills which are not so heavily used, a little more combat meaning, especially things like Diplomacy, Thievery, History, Streetwise.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Ever since I saw the bluff and intimidate skills having in combat applications I wanted the skills better integrated... with combat moves.. .that idea there is not bad

How about
Overwhelming slide the enemy 1 square if you are trained in Intimidate  

I would almost want the distances be based on the CHA mod -2 minimum 1.  Since invigorating incorporates CON some of these others can incorporate stas too eh? 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

those are great ideas, nice alternative to skill power utilities.

I would be fine if it was just limited to classes that get boned on skill choices, but then again those are the classes most likely to have those skills =) 

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Or maybe overwhelming should just be push.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Insightful: If a creature is trained in insight and miss with a power with the insightful keyword, you gain a +1 attack bonus against that target until the end of your next turn.

Overall, I like using skill training to tweak powers. This idea could work very well if integrated into the system for 5e.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Enticing (bluff skill) opponent can be pulled - perhaps by your pretence of vulnerability distance based on charisma.