Mr. Happy - Ardent/Paladin/Hospitaler

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure if this type of thread is ok or not, couldn't find anything explicitly forbidding it (and I looked.)

Just a simple rate-my-build thread. A character for a small group (4-5) that needs a leader and maybe a backup defender. I definitely want to play an ardent, using Polearm Gamble and HBO. I made a straight Ardent, as well as the guy below, and this guy seems way better. In terms of comparison, there's no question, but just as a stand-alone character, I'd like to see if you guys can poke any holes in him. I feel pretty good about my choices, except for the level 13 power - it's a weak level for Ardents, but I don't want to take a Paladin power and lose Power Points. We get a free tier-based feat bonus to hit.

Here he is:

level 14 Human, Ardent/Paladin, Hospitaler
Hybrid Talent Option: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Ardent Mantle (Hybrid) Option: Mantle of Elation (Hybrid)
Hybrid Ardent Option: Hybrid Ardent Fortitude
Hybrid Paladin Option: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Power Point Option
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 15, CON 13, DEX 15, INT 9, WIS 16, CHA 22
AC: 31 Fort: 26 Ref: 25 Will: 31 HP: 91 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 22
TRAINED SKILLS Bluff +18, Diplomacy +20, Insight +15, Streetwise +18

POWERS
Ardent Feature: Ardent Surge
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Ardent Attack 1: Energizing Strike
Ardent Attack 1: Focusing Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin Utility 2: Call of Challenge
Paladin Attack 3: Righteous Smite
Ardent Attack 5: Invitation to Defeat
Ardent Utility 6: Opportunity Seized
Ardent Attack 9: Agony Field
Paladin Utility 10: Deathguide's Stance
Hospitaler Attack 11: Warding Blow
Hospitaler Utility 12: Healing Font
Ardent Attack 13: Conflicted Emotions

FEATS Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Talenta sharrash)
Level 2: Mark of Warding
Level 4: Superior Will
Level 6: Power of Love
Level 8: Hafted Defense
Level 10: Resilient Focus
Level 11: Uncanny Dodge
Level 12: Heavy Blade Opportunity
Level 14: Polearm Gamble

ITEMS
Blade of the Eldritch Knight Talenta sharrash +3
Agile Gith Plate Armor +3
Cloak of Distortion +3
Circlet of Mental Onslaught (paragon tier)
Boots of Quickness (heroic tier)
Belt of Vim (heroic tier)
Bracers of Tactical Blows (heroic tier)
You will want to replace your talenta sharrash with a glaive because the sharrash does not have reach and won't work with polearm gamble. The blade of the eldritch knight only gives you reach for your standard action attacks.
O.o Thanks!
You will want to replace your talenta sharrash with a glaive because the sharrash does not have reach and won't work with polearm gamble. The blade of the eldritch knight only gives you reach for your standard action attacks.

Why wouldn't polearm gamble work with the talenta?  The feat only requires a polearm (not reach) and only works against targets adjacent to you so reach doesn't even do anything.  As far as I can tell the talenta sharesh works fine with polearm gamble itself.
It's an opportunity attack so when you make the attack they're not adjacent. (I thought talenta sharrash's had reach - now I see why it's not a broken weapon :p ).
I don't agree with you as it says the trigger is enters the adjacent square which means they are in your reach when polearm gambles Opp attack goes off and that is what the last Q+A thread came up with after 3 pages or so and they say there was a cust serve ruling supporting it as well.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Of course glaive works fine so I am not sure its worth making a new thread to discuss it in the Q=A forum.
Talenta has high crit and +3 proficiency, which is worth a feat over +2 and no high crit, but ardents have boatloads of amazing feats, and if you spend all of your feats on polearm shenanigans, your healing won't be up to par.  Counterpoint: if you spend one less feat on polearm shenanigans and then routinely miss, that's maybe worse. 
You will need to switch the Talenta Sharrash for a Glaive  to keep HBO + PG working.

When Polearm Gamble Triggers, you're two squares away since Opportunity Attacks interrupt. It was also clarified in the PHB  FAQ:

24. Where is the target of your attack when you make an opportunity attack because of Polearm Gamble?

An opportunity attack interrupts the action that triggers it, so when you make the opportunity attack, the target is in the square it's leaving, assuming that square is within your melee reach.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter