Gem Dice from Waldenbooks from 1990's

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm an "old" gamer and I've been attempting to find out who the dice manufacturer was for Waldenbooks in the early 90's.  Specifically there was a dice tube which contained multiple colored sharp edge translucent gem dice.

Is there ANYONE who can possibly remember who it was that made the set ?  

I know there are dice everywhere and they are easy to find in individual color sets and I have many of them.  It's been killing me I can't remember who it was that made the originals.

There was a blue, clear, green, pink, red, light blue and something else in the set.

Thanks to anyone who might be old enough to remember
sharp edged? sounds like lou zocchi's dice.
www.gamescience.com/
Get the troika folks back, retool TOEE using the current ruleset, Turn Based Combat, of course. Release in December then follow up with expansions covering Against The Giants, The Scourge of the Slave Lords. maybe DLC for the one shot's like Ghost Tower of Inverness, White Plume Mountain, etc. Using the same engine, could throw the Dragonlance folks a bone or two with faithful adaptations of the first 3 mods of that series. Then when it looks about like the engine's run it's course release an adventure editor/builder expansion sort of like the old Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.
You said tube, so I'm thinking Kopow games made them.

Now, having said that, I do recall a set of dice that you described- but it wasn't for RPGs; it was a dice game that used the same dice. (I know, I had it.) The game was called Gemstones.

The idea was a player would roll all the dice, and select which die to score. He'd then roll again and score again until all the dice were used. Highest total won.

I think there was a bit more to it than that, but it's been such a long time, I don't recall.

Thank you for the replies guys !

I have seen the gamescience dice, they are the same design and appear to be the same colors with the exception of green which is a little more green than they were back then.

Orc,

I remember the Gemstones game myself but I don't remember the dice from the game having the "precision" cut edges.

Do you remembe them being the sharp cut at that time ?

I am almost certain they came in a tube and at the time there was a slip of paper in the tubes behind the dice.

I have been trying to rebuild my RPG and gaming collection (read trying to be a little younger), and I can't find any information on them on the net from around that time period.

If anyone can think of anything else please post !!

Thank you guys for the great info

I am almost certain they came in a tube and at the time there was a slip of paper in the tubes behind the dice.

I have been trying to rebuild my RPG and gaming collection (read trying to be a little younger), and I can't find any information on them on the net from around that time period.

If anyone can think of anything else please post !!

Thank you guys for the great info

Are you saying "tube" to refer to a cylindrical plastic tube that had a plastic cap (which also was a hook to hang the dice for display)?

If yes, then I know Koplow fits the description (if they made sharp edged dice - that absolutely do use tubes though).

If you were meaning "tube" to refer to a rectangular plastic 'box' with a black plastic bottom that had a paper insert on one side - that would be Chessex selling GameScience dice.

GameScience and The Armory were the two "big" producers of the sharp edged dice, but both used a blister pack for display purposes to my knowledge (The Armory frequently selling "bonus packs" that either had a set of dice and a dice bag, or two full sets of dice sold together).

you may be able to find the exact dice you are looking for by browsing around Kevin Cook's collection.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Hey Aaron,

definitely the cylindrical plastic tube with the hook.

I was just watching some of the gamescience videos and I am almost willing to say they were definitely gamescience dice.

I have looked through the koplow collections and I cannot find anything that resembles the dice I remember.

It was an assorted color set, most important (I think) is that the 4 sided die was NOT clipped at the corners. It was literally like stepping on a caltrop !

It's killin me I can't remember !  It's even worse I can't find any pics of the set I am remembering.

Thank you for the link, I did check it out, however he didn't have the set on his pages.

We always called the "gem" dice just because they sparkled and I want to say the 10 sided die was clear like a diamond.
It was an assorted color set, most important (I think) is that the 4 sided die was NOT clipped at the corners. It was literally like stepping on a caltrop !

The only d4 I have ever seen with sharp edges and a pointed tip was a 'raw' die - one meant for standard painting and polishing and sold anyways for the sharp edges.

Chessex sells dice like that on rare occasion.

I should ask... were the numbers painted when you bought the dice, or no?

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Aaron, no they were not painted.

Thank you fictional but no those were not the ones I am attempting to find

Thank you for the continued information
I've taken it upon myself to reach out to the dice collector that runs the site I linked earlier to see if he might be able to help figure out exactly what dice you had and where you might be able to find a set... so I'll post back in this thread wth any info he shoots back my way.

Thank you aaron it is much appreciated !  i've emailed Game science dice to see if they have any information.

Thank you guys for everything !
Kevin Cook (the dice collector) got back to me... the results aren't exactly the best though.

He gave me a few different brands of sharp edged dice, but they all use - and have always used - the flat-ended d4.

So it seems that you had to have ended up with a set of 'raw' dice as I mentioned before, and those are pretty hard to find since they only come from companies that normally paint and tumble dice before selling them.

For the sake of giving you all the information I can, here are the brand names - though many are no longer active brands.

* Armory
* B & J Enerprises
* Diamond Dice
* Gamescience
* Jerry Alexander
* Techny
* Windmill

Thank you for the continued information Aaron.

A good friend of mine also bought a set of these dice but he cannot remember who made them either.

I will see if I can get ahold of them for a pic.
Resurrecting this thread in the hopes that someone may have some additional information on the dice I am speaking of.

I have come to the conclusion that these are most likely Zocchi or Armory dice from around 1989 1990 or so.  I have a pic coming from the set a friend of mine bought at the same time.