The Deck Builders Consortium: We'll make you a deck!

1301 posts / 0 new
Last post
I made a thread a while ago where I offered to make people decks, and it turned out to be much more popular than I thought it would be. So, Vektor and I duiscussed making a similar thread, but with more people working on decks than just me, so that we could get more done. This is that thread.

The Deckbuilders:

Maraxas
Vektor480
Royk
Mown
Cats_and_Me
Nyktos
Tevish_szat
Mage24365
Chaoslight
Silasw
Theis999
Gtsynthvoice

Deckbuilders are free to work on any deck, including ones that are already being worked on or are finished, and can work together. Basically, whatever gets the decks made goes. We are not accepting new deckbuilders by request, although it is possible we may request for you to become one.

Submitting Criteria:

This is where you come in. To get a deck made, all you need to do is tell us what you want to have made, and we will make it. Mono- control? A deck around your favorite artist? A deck to answer your freinds goblin deck? Something really off-beat? It all goes.

Bring 'em on!
Reserved.
Cool! This sounds perfect for me, I have only been playing for about 3 months and I am still a total newb at building decks . I love to play decks that are fun, and i just like to DO lots of stuff when I play.
As for deck building help, I have some really cool cards that I want to make a deck with, but I don't really know where to start, or my attempts at building said decks have failed miserably, over and over.

For example, I really like Luminarch Ascension  (Yay, Angels!!) but have yet to make a deck that survives long enough to get Angels out on the board. Angels are really one of my favorite creatures, but due to my lack of experience ( I can only assume ), I have had little success with them when I build decks with Angels such as Lightkeeper of Emeria, Serra Angel, Shepherd of the Lost, etc. I have collected a lot of really cool angels, for instance I have Iona, Shield of Emeria, and Admonition Angel, which seem really really cool, but exceed my deck-making abilities. Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated, I really enjoy this game and I want to improve !

Thanks !

edit: Grammar OCD
Edit edit: I know this generates a lot of hate from my fellow players, but they are big boys and they can take it. Also, they beat me so bad ALL THE TIME that i want a deck that will make them cry MWHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA >. No, I am not above revenge. One dude exiled one of my plains then exiled ALL of them from my deck and i died a little inside... then i cried.
Cool! This sounds perfect for me, I have only been playing for about 3 months and I am still a total newb at building decks . I love to play decks that are fun, and i just like to DO lots of stuff when I play.
As for deck building help, I have some really cool cards that I want to make a deck with, but I don't really know where to start, or my attempts at building said decks have failed miserably, over and over.

For example, I really like Luminarch Ascension  (Yay, Angels!!) but have yet to make a deck that survives long enough to get Angels out on the board. Angels are really one of my favorite creatures, but due to my lack of experience ( I can only assume ), I have had little success with them when I build decks with Angels such as Lightkeeper of Emeria, Serra Angel, Shepherd of the Lost, etc. I have collected a lot of really cool angels, for instance I have Iona, Shield of Emeria, and Admonition Angel, which seem really really cool, but exceed my deck-making abilities. Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated, I really enjoy this game and I want to improve !

Thanks !

Edit edit: I know this generates a lot of hate from my fellow players, but they are big boys and they can take it. Also, they beat me so bad ALL THE TIME that i want a deck that will make them cry MWHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA >. No, I am not above revenge. One dude exiled one of my plains then exiled ALL of them from my deck and i died a little inside... then i cried.

Okay, so there are a couple possible decks here. The first one I see is a Luminarch Ascension deck.
Luminarch Ascension

The strategy is simple: stall, maybe tutor for Ascension, cast it, stall, pump out angels for 1W, win. Much of this deck is common and/or recent.

The next deck suggested is angel-based beatdown.
Angel Beats

[deck=Angel Beats]
4* Serra Avenger
4* Angelic Page
4* Emeria Angel
4* Voice of All
4* Blinding Angel
4* Battlegrace Angel
4* Swords to Plowshares
4* Path to Exile
4* Mass Calcify
24* Plains[/deck]
You know, bring in Baneslayer Angel or w/e if you have it.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Dear Deckbuilders...

I have been wanting to get in on the Tribal Wars scene for a while now, and there is going to be a tournament held in my area soon. There is also a prize for the most unique tribe chosen. As such, I have chosen GOATS. However, I cannot quite get my goat deck to function. :< As such, I present to you your challenge!

The first challenge is to ensure that the goat deck does, in fact, remain true to its goatlyness.
Second of all, I am on a tight budget, so please do not use cards more expensive than $3, with the exception of Door of Destinies, as I can simply borrow 4 from a friend.

I am still quite useless at building decks, so I am asking for assistance! This is my initial draft of what I was planning on building.

Lastly, I have to order and pay for the cards by [b]tomorrow, 2 PM GMT +2[/c] at the latest, so I am also on a deadline.

Help me, Deck Builders' Consortium! You're my only hope!
=== My Decklist === Myr Mania - Standard If you've got some time, give 'em a look-over. I'm always looking for constructive opinion. :3
Dear Deckbuilders...

I have been wanting to get in on the Tribal Wars scene for a while now, and there is going to be a tournament held in my area soon. There is also a prize for the most unique tribe chosen. As such, I have chosen GOATS. However, I cannot quite get my goat deck to function. :< As such, I present to you your challenge!

The first challenge is to ensure that the goat deck does, in fact, remain true to its goatlyness.
Second of all, I am on a tight budget, so please do not use cards more expensive than $3, with the exception of Door of Destinies, as I can simply borrow 4 from a friend.

I am still quite useless at building decks, so I am asking for assistance! This is my initial draft of what I was planning on building.

Lastly, I have to order and pay for the cards by [b]tomorrow, 2 PM GMT +2[/c] at the latest, so I am also on a deadline.

Help me, Deck Builders' Consortium! You're my only hope!

Rough Draft:

This is untested.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Fishmeister: There really aren't a lot of options here. Your draft looks pretty good, but I do have some advice.

You'll need more than 20 lands, first of all. 24 is probably good, considering you have firebreathing goats and Mirror Entity to use extra mana. Maybe make one or two lands Springjack Pastures. New Benalia is a little weak, I would get rid of those.

I would also try to maximize Springjack Shepherd by using Glorious Anthem instead of Crown of Fury. You can also replace the Leyline. Keep in mind that you might want some dual lands to cast them with.

Turn to Mist is pretty subpar here, since your deck isn't that focused around Springjack Shepherd. Instead, Lightning Bolt might be just what you need.

Roar of the Crowd probably won't be worth the four mana, I doubt you can get lots of goats quickly enough. If you decide to add Springjack Pasture, an X-burn spell like Fireball would fit right in this slot.

If you don't mind the blow to your theme, Taurean Mauler would be a great addition.

Possible decklist:

Dear deckbuilders.

I love the idea of pauper decks so I was wondering if you could build me a blue and black pauper deck?
Fishmeister: There really aren't a lot of options here. Your draft looks pretty good, but I do have some advice.

You'll need more than 20 lands, first of all. 24 is probably good, considering you have firebreathing goats and Mirror Entity to use extra mana. Maybe make one or two lands Springjack Pastures. New Benalia is a little weak, I would get rid of those.

I would also try to maximize Springjack Shepherd by using Glorious Anthem instead of Crown of Fury. You can also replace the Leyline. Keep in mind that you might want some dual lands to cast them with.

Turn to Mist is pretty subpar here, since your deck isn't that focused around Springjack Shepherd. Instead, Lightning Bolt might be just what you need.

Roar of the Crowd probably won't be worth the four mana, I doubt you can get lots of goats quickly enough. If you decide to add Springjack Pasture, an X-burn spell like Fireball would fit right in this slot.

If you don't mind the blow to your theme, Taurean Mauler would be a great addition.

Possible decklist:

You, my good sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.
=== My Decklist === Myr Mania - Standard If you've got some time, give 'em a look-over. I'm always looking for constructive opinion. :3
llama_craig: A Mystical Teachings deck is the most obvious choice. A quick Google search brought me this article. If you want something more creative, then I'm sure someone in this thread can whip something up.
Show

Thanks !

Okay, so there are a couple possible decks here. The first one I see is a Luminarch Ascension deck.
Luminarch Ascension

The strategy is simple: stall, maybe tutor for Ascension, cast it, stall, pump out angels for 1W, win. Much of this deck is common and/or recent.

Angel Beats

[deck=Angel Beats]
4* Serra Avenger
4* Angelic Page
4* Emeria Angel
4* Voice of All
4* Blinding Angel
4* Battlegrace Angel
4* Swords to Plowshares
4* Path to Exile
4* Mass Calcify
24* Plains[/deck]

I feel the need to point out that if you want some sort of combo-evilness, then you can add either Phyrexian Unlife or Delaying Shield to ensure that your opponent can't stop you from getting quest counters. If nothing else, I would suggest adding a singleton Phyrexian Unlife as a tutor target, as it's also a niche target if you need 10 life, and has the added benefit over a playset as you multiples of it are dead draws.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Dear Deckbuilders:

Extended legal nicol bolas, planeswalker deck. Nothing from lorwyn/M10 as it rotates soon. Let's see what u can do! ;)

Luminarch Ascension

Angel Beats

[deck=Angel Beats]
4* Serra Avenger
4* Angelic Page
4* Emeria Angel
4* Voice of All
4* Blinding Angel
4* Battlegrace Angel
4* Swords to Plowshares
4* Path to Exile
4* Mass Calcify
24* Plains[/deck]

Ooooo! :D  Thank you so much, looks like a lot of fun. Is it best to keep angel decks mono white ?
hey im making a tribal wolf deck. i posted my rough draft earlier (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...)
 and i also would like to if possible keep cost as low as possible so under $4 a card is my perfect thing and if it does go about 3-4 dollars i will only get 1 copy due to cost
soooo    please help

Creatures
4 timber wolves
3 master of the wild hunt 
4 llanowar elves
2 Tolsimir Wolfblood 
2wolfbrair elemental
2 Wren's Run Packmaster 

spells
4 cultivate 
4 fog 
4 Howl of the Night Pack
4 sound the call
3 untamed might 

enchantments
2 leyline of vitality 

land
21forest
1 graypelt refuge

if only wolf pack wasn't like 30 bucks

Ooooo! :D  Thank you so much, looks like a lot of fun. Is it best to keep angel decks mono white ?

White has the best angels, but adding other colors gives you a couple of neat options like Stoic Angel, Tariel, Reckoner of Souls, or Lightning Angel. It also makes the deck more expensive for the manabase, and possible less consistent.
hey im making a tribal wolf deck. i posted my rough draft earlier (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...)
 and i also would like to if possible keep cost as low as possible so under $4 a card is my perfect thing and if it does go about 3-4 dollars i will only get 1 copy due to cost
soooo    please help

if only wolf pack wasn't like 30 bucks

Don't worry about wolf pack, it's bad :D

llama_craig: A Mystical Teachings deck is the most obvious choice. A quick Google search brought me this article. If you want something more creative, then I'm sure someone in this thread can whip something up.

Also, if you want something that focuses on a different strategy, I would be glad to help. All we need would be a little more direction, since these two colors, while being quite good at control, can do many different things. I can't assure you that the other options would be as competitive as the one mentioned above, but might be more close to what you are looking for. If so, just tell us what you are alooking for.

And keep the requests coming guys, we are always ready!
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Make an aggro-control deck with at least one soratami in it. Anything Legacy legal is alright, as long as I get to play with my favorite tribe. :D
Embrace imagination. Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block
More
Each of its nine tails is imbued with supernatural power, and it can live for a thousand years. My Standard deck: Setting Sun
108516289 wrote:
Think of how Neo couldn't beat the robots, but they kept him around anyways to defeat Agent Smith. Sure, the robots might not like having a Neo running rampant because instead of playing their favorite 4 drop fatty robot, they have to play a bunch of one mana Matrixs to contain him, but at least Neo keeps Agent Smith from reanimating an Iona on turn two.
139359831 wrote:
Are you saying I'm trying to blame my loss on something? I don't care that I lost, I care that he's a sore loser, and a cheater, and a liar.
144902215 wrote:
CKY, are you bad at anything?
144902215 wrote:
I really enjoy imagining this from Kevin's perspective. Because in Kevin's world, Rosewater actually reads everything he types. Mark is sitting there right now, reading this, and thinking "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled. . ." Or some such. He chuckles low, then clicks on "The Best Of KEVINSET" and says "Yes, this'll do just fine. A busty lady with banding who deals direct damage to Zones!? Why this will be the star of my next set, and no one will ever believe you Kevin." Then he closes his Macbook, so his servant may move it out of the way, while another servant puts a Fetal Richard Garfield Clone lathered in Steak Sauce in front of him. Then Mark Feasts. I mean, In KevinWorld, Mark is reading the very words I'm typing as well. Heck, in KevinWorld maybe I am Mark.
99964981 wrote:
I'm beginning to think CKY may be anime in real life...
57150868 wrote:
Don't go anywhere CKY, I need to crash dramatically through your window and propose marriage and I don't want you throwing off my paradrop.
63588923 wrote:
[In response to a thread about how hard grading is] Upon reading this, I've found myself completely unable to operate in the world. I tried to decide what to eat for breakfast, and pondered the vast consequences of my choice. How do I balance my dietary needs against my desire to eat good-tasting food? Should I factor in how long it takes to prepare? Cereal is ready in moments, but bacon takes longer to cook. Then there is the impact on other industries. Do people in the cereal industry deserve to be employed more than people in the bacon industry? Which industry should I support? I don't even have the data regarding HOW MUCH the cereal industry benefits from me eating a bowl of cereal, or how much the bacon industry benefits from me eating a side of bacon. How can I compare two qualities I can't even quantify? And let's not forget the milk on the cereal. In addition to determining whether or not milk is healthy for me, how much that benefits the milk industry, and how much the people in the milk industry deserve my support, we have to factor in the fact that cows are put under brutal conditions in order to collect thier milk. Of course, the same goes for the pigs, and then they get killed. Of course, I really like bacon. So I need to come up with a scale that compares the value of cow happiness to pig happiness to my happiness. What trade-offs am I willing to make here? Does the fact that the pig gets put out of its misery count as a plus or a minus? Isn't bacon bad for me anyway? Deciding what to eat for breakfast (or any meal) is impossible. Help me!
104339228 wrote:
I must admit chinkeeyong, you have the most interesting character ideas; and you play them well.
144902215 wrote:
Anyway, you'd be surprised about Time Stop. When I first saw that card as a relatively new player I didn't see its full potential until I read the reminder text. Is it that unintuitive, though? Mine I mean. What is possibility? Is it possible for me to type these words with my tusks? No, because I don't have tusks. Although I am now tempted to go buy some - obviously not from poachers or whatever - and use them as typing apparatus. I could be the best secretary ever. "What's your words per minute sir?" "Well, only six, but I use these tusks to type them." "You're hired!" That was the interview. And is anyone else disappointed that "apparati" is not the plural form of apparatus? I just could strangle a dictionary, because "apparatuses" is a real word. I guess it sounds pretty cool. I'll call them my Apparatusks.
Make an aggro-control deck with at least one soratami in it. Anything Legacy legal is alright, as long as I get to play with my favorite tribe. :D

Sure thing!

OK, there's a lot going on here, and i can't really just post a decklist without explainning everything. That's not my style. It turned to be a bit extensive (totally my style), so I just sblocked it for the sake of the thread.
Show

So, with that out of the way, to the card choices: Azusa allows you to get more efficiency from your moonfolk. Cloudskater enables repeatable card filtering that can also discard excess lands. Savant plays the control role as a Mana Leak on a stick.

Meloku is one of your finishers. More explanations beside the obvious later. Patron enables more efficient Moonfolk use. Time of Need makes sure you get the legends you need when you need without clustering your deck with multiples of the unnecessary ones. Burgeoning allows you to make better use of your soratami pretty much doubling your land drops. Explore works as a mana ramp that can be used for a cantrip and replaying a land you just bounced.

Now, the part where the deck leaves the obvious and becomes interesting. First, let's look at Trinket Mage. Why is it there? It has 4 different functions. First one is tutoring for Amulet of Vigor. This little artifact can make your bouncelands more efficient, make your khalni garden way better and the same thing goes for halimar depths (these lands become repeatable sicne you'll just bounce them with the soratami). But it also enables you to create "infinite" illusions out of Meloku and the Patron, together with a bounceland. Don't forget that the amulet effect stacks too.

The other role is tutoring for Adventuring Gear. If your plan of "infinite" illusions fails for one reason or another, just abuse the land bounce and the patron (or any of your cards focused on playing more than one land each turn) and get a really big flying Soratami that should get the job done soon enough.The yet different role is searching for Explorer's Scope, in case you really need more lands to start pulling out your Soratami shenanigans. And finally, if you are just manascrewed, one copy of each in-color artifact land makes sure the mage can fix that for you too.

Whew, that was long. Anyway, if the deck didn't focus so much on control as you intended, I should also mention that a build focused on Erayo, Soratami Ascendant, spells that cost and arcane laboratory/rule of law  could be very efficient and offer a lockdown only breakable by split second things. If you want to focus on this and/or the last deck wasn't what you expected, let me know.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Hey guys, I'm glad to see this thread, and more than just 1 person working on decks, this is awesome!

In the last thread, I wanted a black/blue multiplayer snow deck. Well, I've been thinking about it for a while and came up with this decklist. How can you make this better?

Snow Idea What's Goin' On!

Lands
4x Boreal Shelf
4x Frost Marsh
2x Mouth of Ronom (Why not...)
2x Scrying Sheets (Not sure how useful this will be.)
X plains, islands and swamps: all covered in snow.
Creatures
3x Heidar, Rimewind Master (I really like these rimewind guys, even for multiplayer these will work for me.)
4x Rimewind Cryomancer
4x Rimewind Taskmage
2x Sen Triplets (One of the main focuses of the deck, might want paradox haze?)
Non-Creature Spells
4x Coldsteel Heart (Another snow thingie, not too sure about this.)
4x Rewind (Decent counterspell.)
4x Unbender Tine (For Rimewind dudes.)

The only problem I see is that I won't have the right colors to work with sen triplets if my opponent plays or . I might fit in some darksteel ingot or something. I'm also worried about my lands, the nonbasics mainly. Should I run arcane sanctum? Is scrying sheets worth it? One more thing, the deck is obviously short...

Thanks for taking the time!

P.S: I don't want it to be solely dedicated to artifacts, this shouldn't be another artifact deck.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Here are some first ideas that you're free to comment on before changing the deck: Unbender Tine can be replaced with Thousand-Year Elixir or Magewright's Stone, if you're mostly targeting your creatures with it, and that would allow you to replace the only non-tapping creature in the deck with Merieke Ri Berit to gain control of creatures in a different way than playing them from your opponent's hand! She also has devastating synergy with untapping effects.. Sen Triplets demand too much dedication, and your deck has many other things in mind than producing colored mana not within your colors, and you're forced to not play Coldsteel Heart on your second turn before knowing enough about your opponent's colors!  It's also maybe too agressive and offensive for multiplayer games to select an opponent on each upkeep, Merieke Ri Berit together with your other wizards are more passive and then allow you to say: Don't pick on me, otherwise I'll mess with you and gain control of your creatures, ok? But since you think that the deck should focus on them, I'm asking for your opinion first.. By the way, both snow lands that produce only colorless mana are very potent!
Where'd my hand go?

Making a deck with Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur? Can you hold off you opponent long enough to drop this BIG fellow? 
Dear Deckbuilders: Extended legal nicol bolas, planeswalker deck. Nothing from lorwyn/M10 as it rotates soon. Let's see what u can do! ;)

This looks like an interesting challenge.

Lands: 26
4 Crumbling Necropolis
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Island
4 Swamp
2 Mountain

Control Elements: 28
4 Mana Leak
4 Cancel
4 Duress
1 Jace's Ingenuity
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Doom Blade or Go for the Throat
4 Preordain
3 Cathedral Membrane or Skinrender

Finisher: 6
3 Cruel Ultimatum
3 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

My Trade Thread Control capabilities are in all the colors. The difference is in the way they say no.
Where'd my hand go?

Making a deck with Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur? Can you hold off you opponent long enough to drop this BIG fellow? 

Lands: 22
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Fetchland
6 Swamp
6 Island

Enablers: 12
4 Buried Alive
4 Hapless Researcher
4 Careful Study

Reanimators: 12
4 Reanimate
4 Exhume
2 Animate Dead

Protection: 4
4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach

Targets: 6
3 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Auger
1 Stormtide Leviathan
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind

If you have Entomb you can use it in place of Buried Alive.

Using a reanimation shell allows you to get Jin into play a lot earlier where it matters allowing you to strip your opponent's hand by turn 3 or 4 and proceeding to lock them out of the game. 
My Trade Thread Control capabilities are in all the colors. The difference is in the way they say no.
Why am I not one of the deckbuilders Maraxas?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Since I'm on the list, I just wanted to post and say that I am indeed following the thread and I've attempted to make lists for several of the requests but so far I haven't managed to come up with anything that wasn't essentially the same as what someone else posted.
blah blah metal lyrics
Alright, how about a deck built around the infamous Chandra's Phoenix who will be coming out in the 2012 set.

Show

Card Type: Creature

Creature Type: Phoenix

Power/Toughness:2/2

Casting Cost: 1RR

Card Text: Flying 
Haste (This creature can attack and {T} as soon as it comes under your control.) 
Whenever an opponent is dealt damage by a red instant or sorcery spell you control or by a red planeswalker you control, return Chandra's Phoenix from your graveyard to your hand.

White has the best angels, but adding other colors gives you a couple of neat options like Stoic Angel, Tariel, Reckoner of Souls, or Lightning Angel. It also makes the deck more expensive for the manabase, and possible less consistent.

Actually, I have a tendency to keep the deck monocolored unless I believe the player can afford a decent manabase (read: fetchlands into original duals/Ravnica duals). Heck, even then. While playing monocolored decks does cut you off from multicolored cards, the lack of manabase problems, lower vulnerability to LD, and the ability to run more colorless lands is always a plus, and it almost always outweighs the cost. I will play 3 color decks in legacy if I have a fast clock, and like 1-2 color decks otherwise. That's just me though.
Note that I also have an annoying tendency to suggest Comeresque manabases (read: 12-14 lands, 4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, 4 Preordain) much more often than I should.
That's just me on mana though.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Here are some first ideas that you're free to comment on before changing the deck: Unbender Tine can be replaced with Thousand-Year Elixir or Magewright's Stone, if you're mostly targeting your creatures with it, and that would allow you to replace the only non-tapping creature in the deck with Merieke Ri Berit to gain control of creatures in a different way than playing them from your opponent's hand! She also has devastating synergy with untapping effects.. Sen Triplets demand too much dedication, and your deck has many other things in mind than producing colored mana not within your colors, and you're forced to not play Coldsteel Heart on your second turn before knowing enough about your opponent's colors!  It's also maybe too agressive and offensive for multiplayer games to select an opponent on each upkeep, Merieke Ri Berit together with your other wizards are more passive and then allow you to say: Don't pick on me, otherwise I'll mess with you and gain control of your creatures, ok? But since you think that the deck should focus on them, I'm asking for your opinion first.. By the way, both snow lands that produce only colorless mana are very potent!

Thanks for the reply!

First, I like unbender tine to not only untap my creatures, but lands and artifact mana producers as well, not to mention the fact that I'm using all of my elixirs and stones in a different deck. I am willing to cut coldsteel heart, easily. As for your concern, I actually prefer to play a game where I sit back and respond to whatever my opponents are doing. I like Merieke Ri Berit, that card seems devistatingly good for a control aspect. My goal of how to win is to simply control the game to the point where I can use sen triplets to screw with my opponents' plans as well as use their cards against them. Most of all, I want this deck to be more fun; it is more important than winning, which is why I like sen triplets. I was also thinking about telepathy for some synergy with the triplets and the extra fun of knowing what my opponents are playing.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Alright, how about a deck built around the infamous Chandra's Phoenix who will be coming out in the 2012 set.

Any specific budget?
The Phoenix looks quite cool in a Fauna Shaman deck together with a Punishing Fire engine. However, both Grove and Fauna Shaman are moderately expensive.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Helloooo can someone make me a mono-red burn deck? with some good creatures like dragons and stuff! I used to play with a deck which had ball lightnings, lighning bolt, volcanic dragons... Thanks for ur time! Ill buy the cards online when I find the perfect deck :D, for this week I hope!

I just downloaded the game demo for Playstation 3 and want to start playing again with friends!

Thanks! 
Any chance that someone could help with a mill deck? I have wanted to build one but I'm clueless about where to start. I have included a list of all the cards that i own that i thought might be relevant;

4 x mind funeral
4 x Nemesis of Reason
4 x grindclock
4 x Isochron Scepter
4 x myr retriever
4 x grinding station
4 x hedron crab
4 x mana leak/essence scatter/doomblade
2 x archive trap
2 x sadistic sacrament
4 x tome scour
4 x boomerang
2 x voltaic key
3 x echo mage
4 x shriekhorn
4 x Screeching Silcaw
4 x wall of frost
2 x jace's erasure
2 x jace's ingenuity
1 x sphinx amassador
4 x tumble magnet
4 x duress
4 x inquistion
4 x spreading seas
2 x jace beleren
3 x liliana vess

Much appreciation if anyone could help.Wink
I'm looking for a blue Control style deck that uses Karn Liberated as the primary win con. Standard legal would be superb. It doesn't have to be mono-blue, but I would like blue to be the more important color.

Also, I'm looking to make an Eldrazi Spawn deck using Broodwarden x4. It could double as Eldrazi Ramp, but that would be a secondary focus. The primary focus should be on the swarm of little mana tokens.

Thanks deckbuilders!
Hopefully there isn't a rule against double requests! :D

How about a soldier deck based around Elspeth Tirel , (on a budget if possible) that is Standard legal?
I kind of want to splash red in this deck but i don't know if that is a good idea or not.

Thanks in advance!
It's rather difficult to make a budget deck around a planeswalker. If budget is defined as $30 or less, you won't even be able to fit in a playset. So how many Elspeths minimum do you want to fit into the deck?
blah blah metal lyrics
I'm looking for a blue Control style deck that uses Karn Liberated as the primary win con. Standard legal would be superb. It doesn't have to be mono-blue, but I would like blue to be the more important color.

Also, I'm looking to make an Eldrazi Spawn deck using Broodwarden x4. It could double as Eldrazi Ramp, but that would be a secondary focus. The primary focus should be on the swarm of little mana tokens.

Thanks deckbuilders!

I actually built an Eldrazi Spawn deck for a new kid and gave it to him as a present. He picked it up incredibly fast and tears apart his play group with it. I believe this is the configuration (which is very budget)

Eldrazi Spawn Deck

Lands: 24
4 Terramorphic Expanse
10 Forest
10 Mountain

Creatures: 21
4 Broodwarden
4 Nest Invader
4 Kozilek's Predator
3 Emrakul's Hatcher
1 Rapacious One
1 Ulamog's Crusher
4 Skyshroud Ranger

Spells: 15
4 Growth Spasm
4 Brood Birthing
4 Rampant Growth or Explore
3 Beastmaster Ascension or Overrun 

As for the Karn deck, I'd have to think about it for standard.
Dear Deckbuilders: Extended legal nicol bolas, planeswalker deck. Nothing from lorwyn/M10 as it rotates soon. Let's see what u can do! ;)

4 Crumbling Necropolis
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Island
4 Swamp
2 Mountain

4 Mana Leak
4 Cancel
4 Duress
1 Jace's Ingenuity
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Preordain

3 Cruel Ultimatum

Hmm interesting card choices. Mana base is nice. Lack of a board sweeper like pyroclasm or slagstorm could hurt. Not too bad tho ;)

4 Crumbling Necropolis
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Island
4 Swamp
2 Mountain

4 Mana Leak
4 Cancel
4 Duress
1 Jace's Ingenuity
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Preordain

3 Cruel Ultimatum

Hmm interesting card choices. Mana base is nice. Lack of a board sweeper like pyroclasm or slagstorm could hurt. Not too bad tho ;)

I was actually debating between Pyroclasm, Earthquake, and Bolt. I figured the instant speed would be better. In addition, 1 drops like Wild Nacatl could potentially laugh at a pyroclasm but die to bolt. Either Pyroclasm or Earthquake could probably be used in the Skinrender/Cathedral Membranse slot.
It's rather difficult to make a budget deck around a planeswalker. If budget is defined as $30 or less, you won't even be able to fit in a playset. So how many Elspeths minimum do you want to fit into the deck?

Well, I already have one, and I could probably get 1 or 2 more. So, three of Elspeth, methinks.

If I don't build it around her, how much would it hurt the strength of the deck ?
The3rdEmpire
Any chance that someone could help with a mill deck? I have wanted to build one but I'm clueless about where to start. I have included a list of all the cards that i own that i thought might be relevant;

4 x mind funeral
4 x Nemesis of Reason - potential fatty that is decently hard to remove
4 x grindclock
4 x Isochron Scepter - dumb spell =P
4 x myr retriever
4 x grinding station
4 x hedron crab
4 x mana leak/essence scatter/doomblade
2 x archive trap
2 x sadistic sacrament
4 x tome scour
4 x boomerang - as a 1 or 2-of catch all answer (albeit temporary).
2 x voltaic key
3 x echo mage
4 x shriekhorn
4 x Screeching Silcaw
4 x wall of frost
2 x jace's erasure
2 x jace's ingenuity
1 x sphinx amassador
4 x tumble magnet
4 x duress - hand disruption
4 x inquistion - hand disruption
4 x spreading seas - depends on meta (like if you square off against multicolored/color-intensive decks)
2 x jace beleren - card advantage engine with some mill
3 x liliana vess - maybe 1 if you have room

Much appreciation if anyone could help.

Better cards in bold, with notes added.

That turned out quite well, by which I mean the first draft ended up with 35 cards, giving me enough room for 25 lands, which is nice for a control deck thta has powerful high-CMC spells.

How to quickly improve this draft

• Into the Roil over Boomerang

• Something else (preferably not a creature) over Nemesis of Reason

• More Jace Beleren or some other CA giver over Liliana

• Cheaper draw spell over Jace's Ingenuity

Maelstr0m22

[deck=Karn Control]//Win - 5
3 Karn Liberated
2 Consecrated Sphinx

//Card Q&A - 8
4 Preordain
3 Jace Beleren
1 Tezzeret's Gambit

//Disruption - 17
2 Spell Pierce
4 Mana Leak
3 Contagion Clasp
4 Spreading Seas
1 Deprive
3 Tumble Magnet

//Other - 7
4 Everflowing Chalice
3 Sphere of the Suns

//Land - 23
4 Inkmoth Nexus
3 Halimar Depths
4 Tectonic Edge
12 Island
[/deck]

I'll leave this for another time/someone else =D

Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
Dear Deckbuilders,

First off I would like to thank you for this wonderful service.  Now to the nitty gritty of things.  I have been playing around a lot with the mirrodin block and would like a standard legal, artifact creature centric deck.  I would like to avoid purchasing cards that will be dropping out of standard in Sept (I believe?)

I like big creatures I always have, or things that let me make little creatures big.

If you need more specifics I can think of some but thank you in advance.

@Gtsynthvoice and Royk

Thanks a ton guys. I'll definitely try these decks out when I get together with my playgroup next week.