Dealing Damage to Planeswalkers

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm fairly certain how this works, but wanted to be certain.

The choice of redirecting damage from a player to a planeswalker they control happens on resolution, correct?  So, if I cast Lightning Bolt, targeting my opponent, I don't need to announce that I intend to direct it to his planeswalker until it's too late for him to counter the spell.

Does it work this way, or will my opponent still have an opportunity to counter the spell, once I announce that I'm going to redirect the damage to his planeswalker?
You are correct. The redirection happens on resolution.

You may announce your intention to redirect damage or not as you cast the spell, but if your opponent responds, you are not bound by that announced intention. If your opponent does not respond, you may not then change your mind. But generally, unless you're trying to run some kind of bluff, it's best to wait to see if your opponent responds before making any such declaration.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
I'm fairly certain how this works, but wanted to be certain.

The choice of redirecting damage from a player to a planeswalker they control happens on resolution, correct?  So, if I cast Lightning Bolt, targeting my opponent, I don't need to announce that I intend to direct it to his planeswalker until it's too late for him to counter the spell.

Does it work this way, or will my opponent still have an opportunity to counter the spell, once I announce that I'm going to redirect the damage to his planeswalker?

You can't redirect the damage until there is damage to redirect, so yes, you would have to wait til resolution to redirect the damage.

Edit: You do NOT need to announce intent when you cast the spell. You must declare a target for the spell, and pay the costs to put it on the stack. Since the player is the target regardless of your intent to redirect, you need only reveal that the targeted player is indeed the target. 

DCI Rules Advisor 06/15/2011

I never let my mind wander. It's too small to let it go off by itself

CCG achievements Still calls the games CCGs and not TCGs... bah, young 'uns!

Decipher games 2001 North American Continental Champion - Inaugural Hall of Fame Inductee - Responsible for killing Young Jedi CCG (really!)

Wizards of the Coast games Won my one and only Pokemon tournament using only Pikachu and Raichu in the deck - and declaring loudly "PEEE-KAH-CHUUUUU" -- true story. 

So what you guys saying is:

You can cast Bolt and declare opponet as target, it resolves and you can change your target?

You can cast Bolt and declare opponet as target, it resolves and you can change your target?

Lightning bolt's target remains unchanged. You just redirect the damage.

You don't change the target.  You redirect the damage to the Planeswalker.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

You cannot change the target, but as the bolt is resolving, you have the option of redirecting damage to a planeswalker that opponent controls.

Note that, because you're only redirecting damage, and not changing targets, a spell like Blightning will still make the player discard two cards, while you have the option of dealing the damage to the planeswalker. If it actually changed the target, the discarding part wouldn't happen, because planeswalkers can't discard anything (since they don't have a hand). 
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
Ooh, I didn't know you can do that with planeswalkers.
Ooh, I didn't know you can do that with planeswalkers.

Then you need to read the Planeswalker rules:

wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Article.aspx?x=mag...

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)