7/01/2011 TWTW: "Destined for Greatness"

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I always hate it when one of the spoiled cards is something we already know about...
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Imma gonna have to paraphrase Mark Gottlieb (It was either him or Anthony Alongi, one of the older writers) here: "You read spoilers and now you're upset because the experience has been spoiled for you?" At any rate, it wasn't in the Official Spoiler yet, so yeah. Wizards reserves the right to spoil their own cards whether or not they have already been unofficially spoiled.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
You have a very good point Dragon_Nut.  Perhaps I'm just a bit disappointed that this has been spoiled for weeks and they didn't just pick something else.  I think this was even on the Magic Show last week.  That said I agree with your point that we can't be mad.  But I can still wish it had been something else.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
A column about the Limited implications of a Mythic Rare.

...yeah.

...yeah.

You're gonna be cracking boosters like mand, you know. What's great is that this card is WORSE in limited because good drafters draft out as much removal as they can find. Auras are good, some very good, if you can stick them to protectible creatures (like his example for Hexproof) ... but if you're playing against any decent removal (i.e., nongreen), you might be just screwed.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Yay, it's another Mythic Rare which only has Mythic Rare status because it's way off the curve!

I agree with Qilong that this card may work better as a build-around in Constructed. At least in casual. Then again, that eliminates part of the usefulness of the aura (its fairly resilient to removal after enchanting). It has the same "problem" as Totem Armor.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
If you first pick an Aura, no matter how good it is, you will get what you deserve.  I appreciate that you tried to find some excitement for your preview card, but this is pretty weak for a mythic rare.

P.S. The art is SWEET though. 
That is some sexy, sexy art.

Eh, I really dislike the angel. It looks far too computer-ish for my tastes.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.

...yeah.

The bizarre thing for me is that BDM seems happy about this card in Limited. Sure, it's good for winning with, but it's equally good for losing against. What's cool about overpowered cards that break the game?

I would have liked to see this be more of a "Serra" match with Vigillance. I think a good "drawback" would have been to make the new angel White to show its rebirth.

Still a nice way to get anything already scary turned into "plus Angel". It's a worthy replacement to Baneslayer.
Perhaps there is an as-yet-unrevealed black mythic with Protection from Angels?
I would have liked to see this be more of a "Serra" match with Vigillance. I think a good "drawback" would have been to make the new angel White to show its rebirth. Still a nice way to get anything already scary turned into "plus Angel". It's a worthy replacement to Baneslayer.

I have three favorite auras. Beyond those three, there are no auras I actually like. But, they are the best Auras, period.

1. Rancor -- Unless you're playing against it, I don't think you can dislike it. This card is infmaous for its inability to die, which just goes to show that the new aura couldn't even get that part right. Rancor gave you reach, it was super cheap, and when your opponent wasted a spell or a creature on your creature, it never left you, keeping you at card-equivalency. It also resisted removal-in-response, and that part is why despite being only , it has better presence than any other Aura in the game.

2. Armadillo Cloak -- I like Rancor because the card feeds into my competitive and evil spirit. I like Cloak because it just gets you where you need, providing reach and resistance to reach at the same time. Perfect sign for a multicolored card. If multicolor were to come back to the Core Set, I would BEG for this card to be one of them, even at uncommon. There was literally nothing that was not awesome-er when it had Cloak on it.

3. Dawnbreak Coronet -- If you could get another aura to stick, Coronet became the BEST AURA EVER. It gave you aggression on top of defense, protection from reach and evasion, and was cheap because of its "drawback." cure, double Coronet requires something like hexproof, but there's not a whole lot to do about that.

This new angel-thingy doesn't even come close to these guys. It's a suped-up, tweaked Serra's Embrace
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Agreed! Especially the sky, way too photorealistic.
On card size, it's way to 'smooth' & 'busy'. It's not organic art, there's a lot of straight lines (the buildings) and then a lot of floaty stuff. On wallpaper size, it looks good, but it doesn't work on card art size for me =(  

I'll play it for its art nonetheless. Still beats Divine Transformation.

I mostly dislike the Final Fantasy armor.  Makes it all very meh.

Imma gonna have to paraphrase Mark Gottlieb (It was either him or Anthony Alongi, one of the older writers) here: "You read spoilers and now you're upset because the experience has been spoiled for you?" At any rate, it wasn't in the Official Spoiler yet, so yeah. Wizards reserves the right to spoil their own cards whether or not they have already been unofficially spoiled.

I believe it was Chris Millar.

"So you're saying that you read SPOILERS and now your experience of seeing new cards for the first time has been SPOILED? Strange how that works." - Chris Millar

1. Rancor -- Unless you're playing against it, I don't think you can dislike it. This card is infmaous for its inability to die, which just goes to show that the new aura couldn't even get that part right. Rancor gave you reach, it was super cheap, and when your opponent wasted a spell or a creature on your creature, it never left you, keeping you at card-equivalency. It also resisted removal-in-response, and that part is why despite being only , it has better presence than any other Aura in the game.

Rancor resisted removal-in-response? Um... huh? If you have Rancor on the stack, targeting your Savannah Lions, and I Shock the Lions, then Rancor is countered on resolution, never hits the battlefield, so it doesn't come back.

But nonetheless, Rancor was irritating for how resilient it is. Auras do want some resilience, but any card that's too resilient gets frustrating for opponents. I think I prefer the limited resilience of Angelic Destiny.

I do like the art, and I think if you're going to have a mythic Aura, this is about the way to do it. It'll be irritating to play against, but there are enough solutions that it's not unsolvable. I think I like it.
I'm excited for this card.  I finally have something worthwhile other than Eldrazi Conscription to cheat into play with Arcanum Wings in my Zur EDH deck!
If it had more of a Rancor-esque resistance to removal it would have been epic...mythic you might say haha.  I suspect that they didn't it more Rancor-esque due to power reasons in testing.

But as it stands, it's okay.  I don't expect it to be too popular in constructed, maybe on something like Thrun in a tier2 deck.

In limited, as he pointed out, it's obviously bombtastic.  People who argue "you can simply remove the creature in response" simply don't understand how limited works, either that or they live in a fantasy world.  C'mon guys, you don't always draw that removal spell, and even if you do, you're going to tap out as some point.  Especially in Limited.  How many games have you seen won on the back of Armored Ascension?  Lots and lots.  And this is much more powerful than that aura.  And if the opponent somehow destroys the enchanted creature, or bounces it, the player who got 2-for-1'd generally ends up getting so far behind that he loses.  So, it really comes down to whether your opponent has the removal or not, and generally he won't.  In any case, power auras like this are absolutely gamewarping in limited, whether you get the better or the worse of it.  

Love the art actually, it's the wallpaper of the day and I immediately replaced Tariel from a few weeks ago. 

As for the card, big fan of angels, so this would be a nice way to angel-fy the 1 and 2 drop non-angel creatures that an angel deck would need.

And regarding this card being "spoiled", WOTC plans out their articles weeks in advance, and anyways, I've said many times that I would love to see WOTC spoil the whole set ahead of time and I would still read the articles about the individual cards because I find the articles interesting! 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
The art is amazing. It's a testament to how far the fantasy of MtG and D&D have come since the bizarre, comical, and cheap art of the old days. You know things have changed when it takes two artists to design art this complex.

It's modern fantasy, not Final Fantasy. FF lately has been using modern fantasy to render in-game characters, sure, but it's not like they came up with the idea. In fact, FF art by "The artist for FF1-6 and FF9 is Yoshitaka Amano art".

www.ffcompendium.com/h/art.shtml

Check the art of those games for ideas about what technically FF art is known for, because I'll tell you right now, it sure isn't the modern fantasy they have adopted today. 
You people are never happy.

It's rather embarrassing.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

You guys crazy!! This art is GORGEOUS!

And, hell, I will play this card, it seems like a good finisher for White and can be quite annoying if you pair it with some Black (and since I love B/W :D)!
"When enchanted creature dies, return Angelic Destiny to its owner's hand"

While I like both the card and the ability to prevent being two for oned, I dislike any ability that makes bounce better removal than actual removal.  Blue is supposed to be worst at getting rid of permanents.  Why can't we have:

"When Angelic Destiny goes into the graveyard from play, return it to its owner's hand"

?

I guess the argument is this also prevents instant removal from removing the creature as it is being enchanted, which leads to interesting game play.  But I still prefer the second version as I wrote it. 
If this is photorealistic art, give me photorealistic art any day of the week. This art is absolutely gorgeous. It's got life. The suspended flower petals and the billowing cloth (not to mention the figure's hair) give it such a sense of being frozen in time, the instant when the soldier is blessed with an angel's power before she strides into full-on asskicking mode. Yes, it falls into the Magic art trap (always features a creature), but it conveys the gift she's about to recieve instead of the soldier herself, with the wings on the stained glass behind her. 

Plus, she's pretty cute. That helps.

Also, I'll admit it seems kind of funny to give a limited review of a mythic card. Heh. 
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.

I mostly dislike the Final Fantasy armor.  Makes it all very meh.

The skin just really doesn't work for me. It's so unrealistic.
76125763 wrote:
This card really pushes the boundries of how good a creature enchantment (refuse to call them auras) can be.  

I think I would have prefered this to cost more, actually.  It just seems way undercosted.  Granted, it's still weak to bounce like the article says.

Also, the art is AMAZING! 
While I like both the card and the ability to prevent being two for oned, I dislike any ability that makes bounce better removal than actual removal.  Blue is supposed to be worst at getting rid of permanents.

So why, because blue is THE control color... and lacks of any control beside counterspells or "weak" short-time bounce?

The art reminds me of Aeon wallpapers.

The card is just a stupid try to experience the boundaries for aura cards as they are most likely to be too weak. As I've always said, the true problem aren't the aura cards, but the destruction spells. So for me - no matter how overpowered and undercosted R&D makes some auras, they won't satisfy me and won't get any compliments.
So why, because blue is THE control color... and lacks of any control beside counterspells or "weak" short-time bounce?

It works better with colors not getting everything. Red's weenies aren't as efficient as white ones, etc.
It's already insane counterspells are mostly confined to a single color.
If you call this kind of artwork "photorealistic", you must be spending all your life in MMOs.
Sign In to post comments