Clones and "if you cast it from your hand" triggers

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone!

If I play a Clone and I choose to copy a Dread Cacodemon, does the plague wind-like ability trigger?

Also, if I were playing Commander and had The Mimeoplasm as my general, if I play it from the command zone and choose to exile a Dread Cacodemon to copy it, would its abililty trigger? 
If I play a Clone and I choose to copy a Dread Cacodemon, does the plague wind-like ability trigger?

Yes.
Also, if I were playing Commander and had The Mimeoplasm as my general, if I play it from the command zone and choose to exile a Dread Cacodemon to copy it, would its abililty trigger? 

No.

In both cases, the game is able to identify where the spell was cast from.

Hello everyone!

Yes to the Clone, but no for The Mimeoplasm.

Abilities that check to see if the specific spell that became the permanent with the triggered ability was cast from your hand. If you cast the Clone from your hand, the spell that became the Cacodemon was cast from your hand. It doesn't matter that it looks very different now.

The Mimeoplasm performs the same test, but since you didn't cast The Mimeoplasm from your hand (the Command zone is not your hand) it won't trigger.

It follows from this that you should avoid exiling Phage the Untouchable from your graveyard to copy if you cast The Mimeoplasm[/c] from the command zone. It's OK to exile it for +1/+1 counters, but make sure your opponent knows which creature is which.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.