[4e] [OOC] Keep on the Shadowfell with Essentials Group 2

Start of OOC.  Please post to acknowledge you found the link.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

I found it! Yay for me
Warp field stabilized.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

One of the things I encourage the use of (because it is relatively underused) is the use of monster knowledge checks.  That is a No Action action.  Either you know it, or not.  If you meet the hard DC, I will post the exact defenses and hp of the monsters.  Also, even if you don't succeed on the check, the next time you fight them, you will know those items.

To encourage the roleplay part, whenever there's a skill check involved I will PM you with the details.  It will be up to you on how to give out the information obtained.  There will be a few exceptions to that.  One being monster knowledge.  It will be assumed that you give out that information as a free action to the other PCs.  Another exception would be if the majority of the party succeeds in a check.

Please post questions as you think of them.  I've been learning some stuff from Group 1 that I didn't know about before.  Also, if I make any mistakes, please let me know so I can rectify them immediately.  I'm usually on most of the day (I have no job right now), so I can reply anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours depending on what I'm doing at the moment.

Wednesday evenings I run an encounters group at the local game store, and Sundays I run my normal game, also at the store.

You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

Got it!

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
VoyRager, here.

Who/What Am I?
"I might have been a hmmm... eh-eh well, y'kno but, instead" I'm a fighter... --
peacekeepermedc.gif -- ...not a lover. This signature concept is from "http://www.pathguy.com/index2.htm"
html_removed
What I Doing Here?
@MTG Forums. Contestant: A Contest Like No Other hosted by Fakeartist. An Angelic Aspect In The Wild, Wild World Of The Mata Hari's Agency. @DnD Forums. Digital Artist In Training: What Do YOU Think MY Character Looks Like's Thread - @4e Character Development forum. Player (Osborn) - Bounty Hunter (Fighter DnDNext): DnD presents The Walking Dead @Play By Post Forum. Player (Shana Zorus) - Professional Bodyguard/Adventurer (Hybrid Warden/Paladin 4e): The Unhallowed Gate @Play By Post Haven Forum (DM by ffShadow) Player (Krist Breeze) - Twiceborn War Mage/Imbuer (Hybrid Warlord/Wizard 4e): Castle Greyhawk - @Real Adventures (DM by Icanus) Player (Blyne Munro) - Happy-Go-Lucky Scout/Explorer (Warlock 4e) Domain of Shadows-Darkness Falls - Play By Post Haven (DM by WhisperMagellan) Player (Ansmril) - Vistani Blessed Psalmist (Bard/Shaman 4e) The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good - (And I'm The DM) DM - The Young Mercenaries/Ps'V-GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Unlikely Diplomats/Ps'V- GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good/Ps'V GoodShip Diplomacy. Referee - People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Oz League: The Ardent Lord w/People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Ps'V = The Players' Vault Forum Group In Which I'm The Owner Of.

One of the things I encourage the use of (because it is relatively underused) is the use of monster knowledge checks.  That is a No Action action.  Either you know it, or not.  If you meet the hard DC, I will post the exact defenses and hp of the monsters.  Also, even if you don't succeed on the check, the next time you fight them, you will know those items.

I'm fine with that, but I offer a suggestion: Post the HP and defenses upfront, without a check required, at least within a spoiler block.

I recommend this for a few reasons:
1) Unlike around a table, we can't quickly find out from the DM whether or not an attack had the desired effect. Knowing for certain whether or not your attack hit and whether or not it killed the enemy. This can be handled with "if-then" statements, but is more straightforward if those items are known. More importantly, knowing whether your attack hit or missed, and for how much damage relative to the monster's HP can also allow players to craft more meaningful descriptions.

2) Those numbers are plausibly visible to PCs. It's possible (especially for trained combatants such as the PCs) to get a rough idea of how formidable an opponent is by a few moments of observation, how skilled it is, how quick it is, how tough it is, its level of resolve. There's also the fact that there's actually more going on in a given fight than just what we roll for, other attacks, feints, dodges, threats, etc. The only number that's a tad tricky to justify is Will, but just as someone lining up a sword strike can get an idea for the armor, stamina, and speed of a target, someone with a Will attack can plausibly probe a targets defenses before attacking -- and everyone has a Will attack, called Intimidate.

That's the last I'll say about it, unless asked. I hope you'll consider it.

I heartily second.  

In the games I run here I used to make the PC's roll for the defenses.

posting them up front makes the game vastly faster and the RP is better IMO

I also keep a running total of damage a monster has taken that is visible to the players 
I've only played in one other PbP game, but the DM (Centauri, actually) did post the defenses/HP and it did seem to make things streamlined when it came to determining success in combat.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Exile currently has Sleep and Burning Hands prepared.

We had a similar discussion in group 1.  What I am proposing here is the compromise we came up with.  I suppose I could come up with a further compromise.  On a successful check vs the moderate DC, I could tell you that the hp is higher or lower than yours.  For example, I could say about a kobold skirmisher, that its hp is ~25 to 30 area or a 3rd level elite brute as being ~100 hp plus or minus a few.  As for defenses, I'll compromise here and give you the defense after an attack (successful or not) against that particular defense.  That's what I'm starting to do in my tabletop game.  Of course, all of this will be moot if your monster knowledge check beats the hard DC for that monster.  Then I give you everything.  Also, if you've fought the monster before, I also give you everything without the knowledge check.

I absolutely do not want to say no, because I want this to be a fun game.  I prefer compromises if possible.  Of course, if you are adamant, I will acquiesce for the main reason that I do not want to be seen as a mean DM that doesn't let his players get their way (at least in this; I view this as being something minor and I don't want to have it detract from the game).  On the other hand, there will be some things I will say no on.  For example, we had a discussion in the other group about the kobold slink's Slink's Boon trait.  That one, I had to say no, because I viewed that the trait did not make sense with the way they interpreted it.  I won't rehash it here, but if you want you can go to that OOC thread, post #168 for my ruling.

Also, be certain that I may interpret something wrong, so please bring it to my attention.  I will take a relook at what was being (mis)interpreted.  A lot of the times, I am the one in the wrong and will say so.

Again, I want this to be fun.  Not bogged down by anything.

I absolutely do not want to say no, because I want this to be a fun game.  I prefer compromises if possible.  Of course, if you are adamant, I will acquiesce for the main reason that I do not want to be seen as a mean DM that doesn't let his players get their way (at least in this; I view this as being something minor and I don't want to have it detract from the game).

It will not detract from it for me if you go with what you originally stated. I just wanted to offer that suggestion.

No problem.  Every DM is different and has a different way of handling things.

I'll post the monster knowledge difficult chart (up to 5th level) in the encounter thread.  That way I won't be needing to tell you what DC is needed.

Sounds great @Astromath, I am 100% on board

Centauri's last IC post reminded me that I forgot to add a patron deity for my character. Go ahead and put me down as a follower of Bahamut.

Fairbanks
Big John is nominaly a follower of Kord but he will pay lip service to any deity as a situation dictates
Astromath, I like your origin idea since it open the door for creative ways for the players (us) to relayed the knowledge to one another and help us develop the PC personalities and style (especially improving and learning our gameplay.) I would preferred Astromath, you do your own thing and us the players pick it up as part of the gameplay's challenge.

Who/What Am I?
"I might have been a hmmm... eh-eh well, y'kno but, instead" I'm a fighter... --
peacekeepermedc.gif -- ...not a lover. This signature concept is from "http://www.pathguy.com/index2.htm"
html_removed
What I Doing Here?
@MTG Forums. Contestant: A Contest Like No Other hosted by Fakeartist. An Angelic Aspect In The Wild, Wild World Of The Mata Hari's Agency. @DnD Forums. Digital Artist In Training: What Do YOU Think MY Character Looks Like's Thread - @4e Character Development forum. Player (Osborn) - Bounty Hunter (Fighter DnDNext): DnD presents The Walking Dead @Play By Post Forum. Player (Shana Zorus) - Professional Bodyguard/Adventurer (Hybrid Warden/Paladin 4e): The Unhallowed Gate @Play By Post Haven Forum (DM by ffShadow) Player (Krist Breeze) - Twiceborn War Mage/Imbuer (Hybrid Warlord/Wizard 4e): Castle Greyhawk - @Real Adventures (DM by Icanus) Player (Blyne Munro) - Happy-Go-Lucky Scout/Explorer (Warlock 4e) Domain of Shadows-Darkness Falls - Play By Post Haven (DM by WhisperMagellan) Player (Ansmril) - Vistani Blessed Psalmist (Bard/Shaman 4e) The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good - (And I'm The DM) DM - The Young Mercenaries/Ps'V-GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Unlikely Diplomats/Ps'V- GoodShip Drow Diplomacy. DM - The Dragon Below Can't Have It This Good/Ps'V GoodShip Diplomacy. Referee - People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Oz League: The Ardent Lord w/People Of Oz @Dorothy's Kansas Games(inactive). Ps'V = The Players' Vault Forum Group In Which I'm The Owner Of.

Sorry I travel alot and I just had the chance to get online.  Found this and the others.  I have to agree with VoyRager I like not knowing what a monster's stats are right away, it allows for us to discover if you've messed with them later on or if you just tossed us something new.
Keep on the Shadowfell Essentials Group 2 - Azigen, Dwarven Warpriest Rise of the Runelords - Pathfinder 4e - Himdur, Dwarven Cleric

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

So I'm just finishing up the minor details and will send you the copy Astromath, and then I'll start posting IC
Keep on the Shadowfell Essentials Group 2 - Azigen, Dwarven Warpriest Rise of the Runelords - Pathfinder 4e - Himdur, Dwarven Cleric

VoyRager, check your hypertext tags. Your combat block huge.

Hi gang,

Thought I'd pop in with a brief character description of Fairbanks:

Taller than average, but remarkably thin for someone as strong as he is. Dark brown hair in a pony-tail and a trimmed mustache and goatee that don't quite have the dashing effect he hopes for, but he keeps trying to make it work.

Even though he wears scalemail armor, his natural grace and quickness (drilled into him by his fencing instructors) overcome the metal's inherent handicaps.

Although he is highly facile with most weapons, he favors his rapier. Oddly, he often anthropomorhpizes the blade sometimes referring to it by the name "Dulcinea".

He is a young, brash and dashing young man with no half-measures. Once a course of action has been decided, he commits himself fully and without reservation. This often requires his companions to rein him in and redirect him.
Fairbanks

Fairbanks
Exile looks and sounds like a young-but-still-gaunt Brock Peters, except bald. His heritage is that of an equitorial tribe, but of course he's no longer on good terms with his people for some reason.

Away from my computer. As soon as I can I'll post

Sorry folk, real lifed called.  Shall try to catch up so I'm not holding things up.  Just so people know, I tend to only get online in the evenings. But I will try to stay up to date.

That's ok.  Once tax season starts up (I'm a tax preparer), I'll only be online a few hours a day.  Right now I'm online several or more hours a day, though I may be doing something else such as playing Civilization.

And I will be limited online if I get on this coming holidays and then starting next week less than usual as I return to the usual daily humdrums.

Who/What Am I?
html_removed
What I Doing Here?

Just stick to the 2 day posting cycle and you'll be fine.  I give an extra day for holidays.

I have a question that pertains to treasure found.  Do you want me to list everything including normal armor and equipment that the creatures are wearing or what is actually valuable?

I've never been a "let's gather up everything of even remote value and haul it back to town and sell it" kind of player.

In my case, you only need to mention something if it is of significant value (gold, gems, etc.), a magic item, or something specifically of interest to my character. 

That said, if one of the others wants to gather up every Kobold codpiece we find in hopes of getting another 4 copper pieces, I won't stand in their way. 

Fairbanks
It all depends on how broke my characters are. Or if were lugging around any npc we want to keep alive

I'm loving this fly-swatting thing with Granny. It's very cinematic. I can picture the movie scene where the protagonists (us) are sitting around getting the plot started and the exposition out of the way, yet for the audience there's also this comedy relief character chasing the fly throughout the whole scene.

I can see this ending with all of us getting up from the table to rest for the night and then the very last thing that happens before the scene cuts to the next morning is Granny finally swatting the fly, only for the force of her swat to cause a bowl of cold stew to fly up and splat all over her.

Or something like that.

Nice job, DM!

Fairbanks
I, for one, will not usually be interested in mundane monster equipment.

God bless Canada Day, good food, great drinking and everthing is a party

The absolute best beer to drink is root beer, especially IBC root beer.

Centauri, I love the way you're playing Exile.  Completely inflappable to Granny's antics.

Centauri, I love the way you're playing Exile.  Completely inflappable to Granny's antics.

Thanks. He would have helped her up, of course. He tucks his tail back under his robes.

Ill be out for the weekend.  I will be back in internet contact on tues (or maybe mon night)
No prob.  We can do some rping until you get back.  I won't start the first encounter until you do so you won't feel left out.

thanks, if you need to go right ahead.  I will not be offended or feel left out.

Big John will always have the defender aura on.  He like to use the stance that slows so he can knock them prone with world serpant's grasp. 

OOC @Everybody
A weekend holiday is among us in the U.S.A. (to you foriegners its the british rebels showing the british commonwealth the bird day)

I going to be traveling until 6th and probably be checking in irregularly. So no rush anyone and if anyone wants to do a my PC turns' or my NPCs' turn just be fair and harsh against the target when doing so.(But I will be checking in when I can especially with the Dragon Below campaign.)
Happy 4th.
V.

Who/What Am I?
html_removed
What I Doing Here?

Happy 4th to you to (and to everybody else in this campaign).  I probably wouldn't have minded NPCing 1 PC, but 2?  I don't think so.  The rest of us will just do some general roleplay until you two get back.

Sign In to post comments