[4e] [IC] Keep on the Shadowfell with Essentials Group 2

OOC: Obligatory inn scene


You stopped at the Fair Maiden Inn for the night. There's a tavern on the first floor and rooms on the second floor. The barkeep is a portly gnome by the name of Gander, a retired Illusionist. There's 3 serving maids, a female dwarf (Lucinda), a female half-orc (Beaut), and an elderly female goblin (Granny). The tavern is half full when you arrive. You can see that it can seat about 50 patrons. There's a fireplace on one wall (unlit) and the bar on the opposite wall. A staircase leads up to the upper floor in the back. There's a doorway behind the bar leading to the kitchen. On the wall beside the front door is a poster board with various wanted posters and other notices.


Notice 1:
Wife looking for husband named Douven Staul. Last seen heading west to check out a dragon's burial place. No reward other than thanks and a fine home-cooked meal.


Notice 2:
Parle Cranewing wants to hire adventures to map out an old keep nearby Winterhaven. See him for more details. Total reward: 250 gp for the group.


Notice 3:
Marla of the Great Church of Pelor is looking for adventurers to root out a cult. See her for more details. Total reward: 250 gp for the group.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"Nice place," booms Exile, sweeping some travel dust from his dark, dry skin. It takes more than a day like this, even with the exertion of travel, to make him perspire, and the fine grit leaves his face and head - bald, except for the swept-back cones of his horns - in small clouds. "I'll see to the rooms."

Keeping his tail discreetly under robes that would be too hot for most in this weather, Exile gives Gander a broad but close-lipped smile. He tends not to give people a direct view of his mouth when he speaks, and politely ignores any attention his appearance seems to garner. "Rooms for myself and my companions, sirrah. I, for one, like the look of your town and have a mind to accustom myself to it. What can you tell me about it?"

[sblock OOC] I haven't quite settled on his backstory, but Exile has long been looking for a place to call home, even if he won't be setting down permanent roots. Towns always make him cheerful and expansive.[/sblock]

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

"Come now, Riar. It is bad form to wield a weapon inside a esteemable establishment such as this!" Fairbanks exclaims, in his slightly-louder-than-the-situation-warrants voice.

"Pardon my friend, lovely ladies. Perhaps one of you could see fit to provide us with a bounty of beverages to quench out quavering thirst?"

OOC

First round is on me!


Once he has a drink in hand, Fairbanks makes his way to the notice board. As he comments on eash posting, he gestures broadly with his hands. This causes those near him to worry about getting splashed.

"Ah, a missing spouse. The heart breaks! We should wend towards the weeping wife so that we may happily hand her this hidden husband!"

"Or perhaps we should seek out this cunning cartographer! Adventure could await in the ancient manse!"

"A cult you say?! A cult or occult, I would want to rout and roust this rabble and vex these vile villains."


Fairbanks continues commenting on each of the three notices, finding new inspiration in each reading. He seems to favor all three equally and will continue commenting until interrupted.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
OOC to Voyrager
We're not quite yet at the encounter map.  That will come soon enough.  I just put it up to be prepared.  You may keep those actions & rolls for when the time comes.  Ok?  You are right now in the tavern.


Gander looks up from polishing a glass, Good evening!  The common room is normally 5 sp, but I can give you a special price for the five of you.  How about 2 gp for the group?  Call it a group rate.  You know, I used to be an adventurer too...

Lucinda comes up and bonks Gander on his head with a serving tray.  Stop with those stories.  He didn't ask for that.  He wants to know about the town.

Oh, yes.  This town is an average sized town, probably around 700 people, mostly humans with a smattering of other races.  This here is the main tavern/inn.  There's my competitor across town that caters to the lowlifes.  It is called The Runt's Revenge.  There's the Church of Pelor towards the center of town, but there's also some smaller shrines to the other good deities, and a general purpose shrine for all others, though the worship of evil deities are discouraged.  There's also the sage Mr. Cranewing and his daughter.  His wife is dead, but her ghost still haunts him, so he says.  The mayor's name is Norman Havenlife, though everybody calls him (not to his face, mind you) Norman the Henpecked.  Everybody knows that it is his wife that runs this town.  There's farms here and there, a small farmer's market in the town square along with some general shops.

Cranewing & Marla, priestess of Pelor has a couple of notices on the notice board.  There's also a farmer's wife looking for bonafide heroes to look for her husband.  The only other notice is somebody looking for a cat.  The reward?  A pick of the litter.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"Ah, sounds delightful. I myself am a follower of Sehanine, but her blessed light would be diminished without the presence of Pelor, all honor to his name." Exile genuflects slightly but sincerely. "Your price for the rooms is more than fair. Let's make it 3 gp, and you and your help keep us in food, drink and stories until you figure we've used that up."

The mage turns at something he hears Fairbanks say, and the smile leaves his face. "Cult? Offending this fair town? I've been through towns far less welcoming than this one, made so by the predations of untrustworthy groups. I'd just as soon not see this one change thus. Therefore, my friends, I'll be talking to the priests to see how I might serve the them in this matter, and I welcome your accompaniment."

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

"Excellent idea, Riar! Perhaps Big John and Azigen could conduct conversations with the cunning cartographer whilst Exile performs parley with the potent priest of Pelor? We can divulge different and diverse dramas over dinner!"

Noting the Staul's location on the posting, Fairbanks downs the remainder of his heavily sloshed drink. He strides to the inn's doorway and exits into the street with a hearty "Ha-HA!"
OOC
Heading for the Staul residence.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Big John sighs when he hears Fairbanks ask him to talk to the cartographer. I just bloody sat down, its hard klankin around all this armor he muses to himself.  Heaving his not inconsiderable bulk up from the bench along one of the long tables, he makes quite a racket with his armor and shield and sword on his back.  Speaking loudly to no one in particular he says "Wheres Cranewing?"
"Hm. It appears my friends and I are going to see more of your village before settling for the day. Fairbanks in particular seems to have his mainspring over-wound. Well, please have a meal ready for us on our return."

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Big John puts a hand up, motioning amicably for Exile to sit back down and enjoy his food.  "Take yer time Exile, stay and eat.  Just make sure theres a meal and a beer waitin fer me when I get back"  He takes a step closer and whispers so only the tiefling can hear.  "Ya never know what you might hear just sittin' 'round."
Big John puts a hand up, motioning amicably for Exile to sit back down and enjoy his food.  "Take yer time Exile, stay and eat.  Just make sure theres a meal and a beer waitin fer me when I get back"  He takes a step closer and whispers so only the tiefling can hear.  "Ya never know what you might hear just sittin' 'round."

Exile opens his mouth, then closes it, pursing his lips in a moment of thought. "And why not? Even cultists must eat too, eh? Very well." But while eating Exile tries to engage the help in conversation, hoping to obtain more details about the local goings on.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Rian looks around the residence and finds something unusual.  It is rather devoid of rodents of any kind.  Behind the house is some sort of pen for a large creature and you hear the mewling of kittens inside, though the mewling sounds a little strange.  You find the paw prints of a feline alright, but the prints are larger than a normal feline.  They seem to head off to the poorer section of town.

Fairbanks finds the Staul residence with no problem.  It is a moderate sized single family farm.  You see a house, a barn and a silo.  In a fenced in pasture you see a couple of cows and a nag of a horse that notices you.  It neighs at you as if denying your existance, then goes back to grazing.  Outside the house you see a couple of children around the ages of 7 and 10, both boys, playing in the front yard.  When they see you the 10-year old runs into the house calling for momma and the 7-year old runs up to you and says You don't look like daddy.

One of the patrons tells Big John where  the Cranewing residence is.  It is not too far away.  It is not too far away from where the person with the missing cat lives either.  When you are just about to knock on the door, out of the corner of your eye, you see some movement of some animal running into the nearby alley.  Then you see several rats run out of the alley as if something is after them.  You shrug and think that Rian is on top of this.  You knock on the door and a few minutes later a beautiful girl around the age of 16 answers.  Hello, My name is Amelia.  Are you here to see father?

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

Your dwarf companion soon makes his way into the inn, looking haggard and a little winded.  "Ye swine, I know ya like to play tricks with me but that was some cruel one!" Azigen voice carries in this hall and its a moment before he realizes that he yelled at the entire crowd gathered at the inn, but only Exile happened to be around.  Looking shameful, "Sorry good people I see that I left my manners under a hill a ways back. Forgive this young son of Moradin."  With his head held low, he bows in what you can only assume to be a dwarven fashion.  A fist held in the palm of the other, seeming to hand it to you as he bows.  "May the unforgiving stone forgive me."

He stays that way for a moment before straightening and then heads over to the bar.  Is it just me or can I not walk into an inn at least once where I don't make a fool of myself in at least one way. Walking over to the barkeep he orders a drink before joining Exile.  "Lad did ye have to sprint that last quarter mile, I know ya like making fun of me shorter legs, but isn't having to travel farther than the rest of ya not bad enough?"
Keep on the Shadowfell Essentials Group 2 - Azigen, Dwarven Warpriest Rise of the Runelords - Pathfinder 4e - Himdur, Dwarven Cleric

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

Your dwarf companion soon makes his way into the inn, looking haggard and a little winded.  "Ye swine, I know ya like to play tricks with me but that was some cruel one!"

"My apologies, Azigen. I'm afraid I was too eager to get into the boundaries of civilization. Drinks are on me, so draw one up. I'm learning about this lovely town. The others are out and about getting to know the townfolk and their troubles."

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Big John's mind flits to the animal for a moment, trying to recall if he had see it before.
[sblock Nature Check]7[/sblock]
He looks down at the girl and tries to give her a smile which is a scary thing if you have ever seen it.  All the scars on his face crinkel up and he looks like he is wearing someone elses skin for a moment.
"My lady Amelia"  John gives a small bow.  "You are correct, I have come to visit with you father about his posting in the Inn." 
Looking a bit curious, he's side tracked for a moment when a foamy drink is brought to him by the lovely dwarven barmaid.  With a wink in her direction, he takes a deep pull of the brew.  "Ahh a fine brew delivered by a fine dwarven lass." Turning back to Exile, "Troubles you say, what did I miss while my eyes where filled by the dust kicked up by my friends hurried advanced?"
Keep on the Shadowfell Essentials Group 2 - Azigen, Dwarven Warpriest Rise of the Runelords - Pathfinder 4e - Himdur, Dwarven Cleric

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

OOC to Centauri
Riar left a message that Azigen should visit the Church of Pelor to see what they have about the cultists.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

Looking a bit curious, he's side tracked for a moment when a foamy drink is brought to him by the lovely dwarven barmaid.  With a wink in her direction, he takes a deep pull of the brew.  "Ahh a fine brew delivered by a fine dwarven lass." Turning back to Exile, "Troubles you say, what did I miss while my eyes where filled by the dust kicked up by my friends hurried advanced?"

Exile's got a mug to his face, but gives three taps of his staff to the table leg. The three posters pull free from the board and float over to the table.

He finishes his mug and points to the one about the cult. "Riar thinks you should look into this, and I wanted to find out more myself."

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Summoning a surprising gentleness to his voice, Fairbanks greets the child.

"I am afraid not, young one. Although I hope that I might be considered a potential friend to your father. Would it be possible to speak with your mother?"

Fairbanks does his best to remain affable and non-threatening so as not to upset the children.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Big John doesn't remember anything about the creature.  I could be just a cat looking for a meal.

Amelia has no reaction to you looks, or better, she is too polite to have a reaction.  Right this way, sir.  Father!  Company here to see you about the notice.

Amelia takes you down the hall and the second door on the left.  When she opens the door, you see a study cluttered with scrolls, books, maps, and knicknacks of all kinds.

Have a seat, have a seat. forgetting that the seats are cluttered as well.  Amelia clears them off and the small tabe nearby.  I'll be back with some tea. and she leaves.

Observing Cranewing closely, you see a haggered man in his 40s.  Also, if you use the corner of your eyes to look at him, you think you could see the extremely faint essense of a ghost standing behind him, but when it notices you that you saw her, she disappears completely.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

@Fairbanks

In a short amount of time a woman in her 40s come to the door with the 10-year old behind her.  Hello, my name is Clementine.  Can I ask you who you are and why you are calling?

@Riar

The mewling sounds of the kittens sounds like that of a serval.  It is a wild breed of cats that have the capability of being tamed, especially if they are raised from a kitten.  However, once in a while their wild nature does kick in and has the potential to cause harm.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"Good afternoon, ma'am." Fairbanks keeps his tone light, "I am called Fairbanks, a duelist and man-at-arms. My companions and I are staying at the Fair Maiden Inn. I am here to discuss the details of your..." he glances at the children, "...request?"

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
@Fairbanks

Oh, yes.  Go along Paul & Ryan.  Go help your sister in the barn.  The children look a little disappointed that they are being left out of something and they leave.

Passive insight tells you that they are only acting as if they are leaving.  Passive perception shows you that they are not actually heading for the barn, but around the house out of sight.

Please, come in.  Wait a moment while I put the kettle on.  Would you like tea? coffee?  something in between?

Yes, my husband Donovan, was an adventurer and he told me that this was going to be his last adventure.  He regularly sent me letters, telling me of his antics.  Then no more letters.  I'm getting worried.  I don't want to leave the children without a father.  You understand.


Your passive perception hears a stiffled gasp from below the floor.  Clementine does not appear to have heard it.

@Riar

You knock on the door and it is answered by a couple of old ladies, probably in their late 60s, early 70s, which is ancient for these times.  They also appear to be identical twins, not really unheard of, but, rare nonetheless.  One of them says Oh, a fey.  How wonderful.  If anybody can find our Steven, it would be one of them.  She sounds like they've had dealings with eladrin before.  She almost sounds worshipful, but not quite.  Please come this way if you would like to see the kittens.  They take you through the house.  From the quick look around the house is absolutely spotless.  Not even a cathair anywhere.  Once in the back yard, you see the pen that had the mewling noises.  They were just born the other week, and really need their mother Steven.  The kittens do seem to be of the serval variety.  But a little different.  Possibly the serval bred with one of the local cat population.  If you can found our Steven, we will give you one of the kittens as a reward but only after they are weaned.  All the while, the twins take turns talking as well as finishing each other's sentences.  The last sentence they say in perfect unison.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"I hope I can work to put your worries at rest. Before you elaborate on your elegant explanation, would you mind if I warmheartedly warned your waifs of the errors of eavesdropping?"

As he begins his second sentence, Fairbanks moves to a window or doorway where he can see the hiding children and gives them a non-agressive but firm "you've been caught" look. Failing a window or door, he will rap loudly on the wall next to their hiding place and speak loudly enough for them to get the point.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
The childred yelp in surprise and crawl out from under the house.  Paul, Ryan, what have I told you about misbehaving?  No dessert for you tonight.  Now, do what I told you.  Go help your sister in the barn.

Paul, the 7-year old, looks a little defiant, but does what he's told, this time.  Ryan, just simply runs for the barn once he hears the words "no dessert".  Passive insight tells you that Paul has the makings of a rogue.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"I was much the same at that age. It is a good thing I met my fencing master when I did, or I may have turned my innate talents towards more...unsavory pursuits.

However, to the matter of the moment. First let me express my sympathy in what I can only assume must be a stressful time for you. If you would proffer to furnish me with a few finer points, I'll try for a fast finish to this fix you are in.

What can you tell me about your husband's last know whereabouts. I believe you notice mentioned an excavation of some sort?"

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Yes, yes.  Paul has always worshipped his father and it is hard on him when he's gone.  Oh, yes.  Here's your tea & coffee drink.

Donovan, last I heard, was investigating a dragon's burial site.  The last letter I received indicated that he found something there, or was about to find something.  The site isn't too far from the town of Winterhaven.  That was a week ago.


"Passive knowledge:"  Winter haven is a town about 5 days travel to the west from this town and is smaller than this town.

If you can go get me some news, there's not much I can reward you with except a fine home-cooked meal.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

Back at the tavern.

More customers come in for the evening meal and some will be staying for an evening of drinking.

As Exile listens to the conversations around him, he hears mostly about what's happening in the town and farms.  However, one coversation sort of tweaks his ears.  Exile couldn't hear clearly, but the words "kobolds" and "Winterhaven" were definitely mentioned.

Passive knowledge:  kobolds are small reptilian cowardly creatures.  Winterhaven is a town about 5 days travel to the west.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"Winterhaven, you say? Sweet serendipity! It just so happens that my companions are inquiring about other work that would take us to Winterhaven. That will aid our cause in convincing them to help you. I promise to you that I will advance your cause when we reconvene this evening."

"Do you have a likeness of your husband, or can you describe him? Also, what can you tell me of his work? Specifically what he could be involved in that would cause him to be remoived from contact. I hate to press you for such sensitive details, but every iota of information may prove helpful in locating him." 

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
I think I can find what you want.  You don't really want me to describe him.  You might bring home the wrong person.  Ah, here it is.  This is a drawing my daughter made a couple years ago.  I wish I could give it to you, but that is the only one I have.  Maybe we can convince my daughter to do another.

As far as work is concerned, he had heard of an abandoned grave, that might have been a grave of a dragon.  That was a month ago.  He wanted to check it out.  He was sending weekly updates, but last week was the first week with no update.

There's not much more I can tell you.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"Thank you, Mrs. Staul. My companions and I won't be leaving town until tomorrow at the earliest, perhaps your daughter could make another likeness by then?"

"I can make no commitments on behalf of my friends, but I swear to you that I will do everything in my power to convince them to make the journey to Winterhaven and there to find word of your husband and, if possible, return him to you."

Fairbanks thanks Clementine for her hospitality and rises to leave before the poignancy of the situation can bring him to tears. He pauses long enough at the doorway to collect himself and, the smile returned to his face, he exits the house with a flourish and a "Ha-HA!" 
OOC
Back to the Inn.
 

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
"Show off." He mutters as he smirks as the parchments float towards him.  Taking a moment to read over the other two before glancing at the one his companion wished for him to look into, a troubled look comes across his weather worn face.  "Aye he would," downing his drink and wiping the remaining foam away from his beard he looks to his friend. "This is troubling, I'll take my leave and get right on this."  With that Azigen get up, adjusts his equipment before heading toward the door.  "Please do yeself a favor Ex," he says this by the door, "don't enjoy the inn too much!" with a loud chuckle he leaves before Exile has a chance to respond.

Taking a few moments to talk with the few people on the street to find out the directions to the Church of Pelor.  Azigen takes in this town, reminesing about his home in the mountains.  He notices the little things that are the same, but the big differences stand out too much that home sickness starts to creep in.  The stone never weeps, Moradin let not this stone weep over his distant mountain home.  Moradin bless this stone beneath thy feet so that one day soon this stone shall stumble home, with thy ancestor's blessing.

Finding himself at the temple, he finally takes the time to brush the dust from his cloak, knock the mud from his boots.  Grabbing some of the loose gravel from the street, Bless me Moradin, for I seek to help a brother god who may be in need.  With the blessing, he rubs his hands with the gravel giving them a light dusting. Once finished blows the rest into the wind.  Azigen takes a moment at the door pulling his stoneworked Symbol of Moradin out to let it be seen on his chest.  Once inside Azigen looks for a free acolyte or clergymen to speak his request.
Keep on the Shadowfell Essentials Group 2 - Azigen, Dwarven Warpriest Rise of the Runelords - Pathfinder 4e - Himdur, Dwarven Cleric

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

"Thank you for yer hospitality.  I've come 'round to see if ye still be wanting some folks to do a map of something near Winterhaven.  An old ruin of some sort?"  John lets his warrior instincts take over for a moment to get a feeling for the older man, his motivations and personal intrest in the project.
[sblock Insight]insight check 19[/sblock]
"A group i'm travelin with is heading there and were looking for any work we can get.  We tend to be on the hands on side of things, if ya know what i mean." WINK

The little girl comes back with the tea.  John politely takes a cup, thanking her in his most proper tone. 
@Azigen

You find the Church of Pelor with no problems and like most "good" churches, the door is open during the day and closed during the evening.  You approach the church just as an acolyte is getting ready to shut the door and notices you coming.  Looking at your holy symbol, he says Greetings brother dwarf.  What brings you to our humble but sunny house?

@Big John

Insight:  No evil intentions, mostly interested in maps of old ruins.  He's a scholar of ruins.  He's also a bit absent-minded.

Looking up, as if seeing you for the first time (again) Ah, yes.  What are you here for?  Oh, right.  The mapping expedition of a local ruin.  Well, not so local really.  It's not too far from Winterhaven.  I need a group of adventurers to do a map of the lower reaches.  I already have maps of the upper reaches before it fell into ruin.  Pay is 250 gp for the group.  You also must sign a contract.  This contract is more for my benefit than yours.  Without this contract, I might not remember who you are and will never pay you for your work.

@Riar

Actually the location of the mewling kittens and the ones you heard outside behind a wall are one and the same.  The alley sort of messed up your direction for a moment.  But now that you know, you are a bit more confident on what's going on.  You manage to track the cat to another alley that is beside the Cranewing residence where Big John is visiting.  You notice some dead rats and a passed out drunk.  It looks like the tracks went up to the drunk, but there's not a mark on him.  The serval passed him over.  Could be the smell of beer-stench.

Gathering what you know of serval behavior, it now seems that the twins are not giving it what it needs to produce milk for the litter.  It is hunting for the extra meat it needs.  Right now, it is rats, but once the rat population dies down, its wild instincts might make it a little bolder and start going after "larger" game.  Again, as you track the cat, you come across several neighborhoods ending in one dark alley that is a dead end.  You see a couple of ruffians facing the serval off.  The serval is not liking the situation and is trapped.  You know very well what cornered cats do, especially the big ones.  The ruffians look no more than 13 or 14 years old by your estimate.  It could be they're trying to prove something (successful passive insight).  Either way, somebody or somebeast is going to get hurt.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

When the kids turn around, you see knives in their hands, but when they see you with a real big knife in your hand, the look at each other and slowly and obviously put their knives away.  They do as you ask and slowly back off until they reach the end of the alley.  The kids at that point turn tail and you hear them saying that the den needs to know there's an intruder in their territory.

In the meantime, Stevie recognizes its cat toy and slowly comes up to sniff at it and you.  Eventually, she becomes accustomed to you and allows you to pet her.  By that time you hear in the distance the two kids yelling that he's in the alleyway that way.  Looking around the corner you see the two kids along with a couple of adults, one with a loaded crossbow a couple of blocks away.  You think you can outrun them before they get there.  Of course, the serval can outrun you all if it wants to.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

Since it is evening, there's plenty of shadows to duck into.  As the adults get closer, you notice something dripping off the bolt that's loaded in the crossbow.  The serval is a little hard to manage, but it is being pacified with its favorite toy and therefore being cooperative.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

I'll allow you to "take 10" since you have time to do that.  You successfully get away from the predicament and trace your steps back to the twins residence.  The twins are very glad to have Stevie back and again promise you one of the kittens once they are weaned.  After telling them that they need to add some more meat to Stevie's diet, they promise to do so and thank you profusely.  When the serval hears the kittens mewling, she heads directly for them and gets down to the business of feeding them.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"Brother of the Sun, I am Azigen stone son of Moradin. I came because my companions and my self have found this notice," hands over the notice, "and would like to help out in any way we can."

Azigen takes a moment to study this ackolytes reaction to the notice. "If you could be so kind, I would like to request an audiance with the person mentioned in the notice."


OCC: just so you know, I'm posting from my phone so I can change my speaking colors. Sorry if that's an inconvieniance.
Keep on the Shadowfell Essentials Group 2 - Azigen, Dwarven Warpriest Rise of the Runelords - Pathfinder 4e - Himdur, Dwarven Cleric

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

@Riar

Everything is ok at the inn with the exception of one pesky housefly that really wants to land in your food.  The elderly goblin waitress, Granny, is getting ready to hit it with the back of her serving tray once it lands in your food.  She seems completely oblivious to you and intent on her task of fly swatting.

@Azigen

Ah, yes.   That would be Marla.  Let me show you the way.  The acolyte allows you to come in before shutting the door and leads you down a hallway to your right.  He then knocks on the door and once receives permission to open, he leads you in.  Priestess Marla, you have a brother asking about the notice you put up at the inn.  Marla nods at him in dismissal.

Brother, I'm glad you came.  It's not often we see priests of other faiths here, but you are quite welcome.  There's some hot water on the table next to you for tea if you wish and have a seat there.

Looking around the room you see that it is neat as you would expect a clergy of the sun god.  Everything is set so that they would cast the minimum amount of shadows, even from torchlight.  Marla, in her priestly robes, sits behind a desk.  It looks like you interupted her in counting the money from the coffer that's usually out front, which she sets aside.  Passive insight tells you that this is the normal accounting for the end of the day chores.

I've been studying the history of this area, especially of any death cults.  A year ago, a small group of death cultists were seen heading toward Winterhaven according to witnesses.  I just recently found out the name of the the head cultist, Kalarel.  If it were anybody else, the cult would probably die out, like many others do.  But Kalarel is known for his otherworldly beliefs and has the charisma to attrack more to his cause.  The mission here is to see if that is the case and to bring back proof that you have stamped it out.  The pay is 250 gp to your group when the task is accomplished.  What say you?

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"I, and my crew, would be happy ter sign a contract for a little mapping."  John signs whatever the man wants as long as it looks reasonable. "You said you had a map of the upper reaches of the ruin.  It sounded like they are gone now.  Do ye know why they crumbled?  Also, Do ye have a map of wer the ruins are from Winterhaven."

Once Big John gets whatever information he is going to get he returns to the in to eat, drink, rest, and share what he has learned with the group.

The keep is near Winterhaven.  My main area of expertise are floor plans of ancient keeps.  You could get more information from Valthrun, the town's sage about the keep and what went on there.  Here's your copy of the contract.  Amelia will show you out.

Amelia does just that, politely shows out out tells you good evening and good luck.

When you enter the inn you see the elderly goblen named Granny getting ready to hit a fly with her serving tray.  The only problem is that the fly is getting ready to land on Riar's food.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

"HOLD! my lady.  Riar there can be less understanding then some when his food is disturbed."