The Unknown Meta

The current meta for DDM to me seems largely unknown. I am not sure what to expect in the coming championships.

There is a lot that looks good but what will actually see play is hard to tell.

Based on some of the qualifer results the Shadow Builds seem tough but again I dont think they are that hard to counter if you think about it.  I must say I am totally looking forward to this years Champs at Gencon.

Who wants to say whats rocking right now?

Shadow builds, Dispater & Friends, old standbyes.... what?
Hard to ignore Shadow - everyone should be prepared to face at least one.

The low act bands from the one qualifier in the US South/Southeast were interesting, but I wonder if that's local metagame stagnation (Dispater being locally overused)

I predict Skullcleave Warriors on Warhorses again
Great post Kez! 

I agree, meta seems wide open this year with all the figures we have, the changes to Solamith, the new rules, and an 8 figure max limit in the Championships. 

Shadow and invisible builds would seem to be strong with the rules changes, but a large showing of Skullcleaves could be trouble. 

As I posted over on Facebook DDM Guild page, the following are likely a smattering of what might show up (with a few others added):

Elf Arcane Archers can still do well.
Civilization PORC is always good.
MFL and Underdark is still solid. Maybe add in Witchknifes? 
Shadow builds with Nightwalker Sinister, Eye of Shadow, Large Shadow Dragons are very good.
Dispater warbands look tough.
Goblin Skullcleavers can be a pain. 
Skullcleave Warrior is still good. 
Wild Garl / Xendriks / filler should still be solid, even with the revised Catfolk Wilder. 

Can the TBA still do well?  What about the Solamith?  They now need to see the target. 

Why has no one used the restated Witchknife?  Or for that matter the revised Eternal Blade? 

Kalliroth was solid, but might have a very tough time with Eye of Shadow if Blinded.

And I'm not if the Vampire Guildmasater will show up at the Championships.  He's still strong(er), but his champ power is tough to pull off. 

Are Iron Golem Juggernaught, Neogi, Dracolich, Manshoon, Oni Night Haunter, or Kenku Warrior from LoM viable? 

Ultimately can one build a warband to handle a very diverse meta at a major tournament? 

We shall see and I agree it looks to be a very fun time this year. 

Cool

I agree skullcleaves could see a return to the more bland warband options.  I think we should see some very interesting out there warbands come summer.

Maps obviously will have a say in the matter as well.

We also need to see the final rulebook too.

Exciting stuff!!
I think it's too early for such predictions. Without knowing what the maps are (or the map rotation is), we just don't know. For example, Skullcleaves are limited in ways that some other pieces are not simply because they aren't fast, don't fly, can't teleport, etc. If three fresh Skullcleaves are within striking distance of a Large Shadow Dragon, the dragon might be done with.  But, with its greater maneuverability, the LShD might be okay on several maps.

I was looking at the Voracious Ice Devil paired with some of the Civ pieces that can manipulate movement. There are some nasty combos out there.

I think it's possible to do this:

Voracious Ice Devil
Hobgoblin Marshal
Inspiring Marshal

I, for one, don't have the guts to play a three-piece band, but, if someone wants to try it out, you have some amazing mobility if you can keep your two chumps alive after an alpha strike.

There are some interesting auto-damage bands out there that not too many people are mentioning yet (and some of them are almost NOST-worthy).

I don't think the Eternal Blade will ever be close to what she once was because of the level limits of Eternal Training. But, that depends to some degree upon future releases. Right now, I don't think she can pull it off.

I've always liked the idea of playing fast and loose with luck. If a Kobold Miner (or Mongrelfolk) gets the right placement, and his Solamith buddy can see him all the way across the board, you can bomb your own dudes -- and if it is a Kobold Miner, you're not losing many points by blowing them up.

If a Kobold Miner (or Mongrelfolk) gets the right placement, and his Solamith buddy can see him all the way across the board, you can bomb your own dudes -- and if it is a Kobold Miner, you're not losing many points by blowing them up.

Not under the May 2011 rulebook. Your post seems to imply the Solamiths area attack requires sight to an ally (kobold) to attack. It requires sight to an enemy. See page 11.
Oh just let Dave live in the past for awhile.

I agree Dave I was having a look at the VID myself.

My default VID band is this:

Voracious Ice Devil
Merc General with Healer Cohort
Merchant Guard

on Evermelt.

That band is not easy to take down.
Here's a warband I thought might be interesting and fun, based on the old "Kordacopia" type warband, with the Might Blademaster replacing Aspect of Kord:

Cleric of Dol Arah
Mighty Blademaster (+18 for 30 dam, or +20 for 35 with Champ Power)
Dragonmark Heir of Denith (Energy Protection)
x2 Gnome Trackster
Merchant Guard
Blue

or

Cleric of Dol Arah
Mighty Blademaster
Dragonmark Heir of Denith
Warforged Bodyguard
Gnome Trackster
Merchant Guard

With Dol Arah Champ power Warforged is +18 ATT for 20 DAM, and Dragonmark is +16 ATT for 20 DAM. 

A definate takes some skill to play warband with positioning and movement very important. 

Cool

I dunno Matt the Mighty Blademaster isnt all that hard to take down. A few conditions and yer in trouble.
for what its worth, listed below are the 11 warbands used at Brit Nats.

microelf on dragon down grotto
yuan-ti half blood sorcerer x2, snake tongue cultist, grey cloak ranger x3, poison dusk lizard x3, fiendish snake x3

JM on hailstorm tower
war devil, duergar cleric of asmodeus, due gar guard x2, infernal armour x3, due gar warrior, kobold miner x2

RM on magma keep
orc sergeant, eye of gruumsh, orc champion x2, orc druid, orc brute, mountain orc, orc savage

bugging_bear on ever melt
black dragon, black dragon lurker x2, digester x2, dark mantle x2

annoyinglizardvoice on mithril mines
pit fiend, chain devil, imp, legion devil, man-at-arms x3, human rabble x2

RP? on ???
storm silverhand, mercenary general, skull cleave warrior, elf stalker, grey cloak ranger x2, hunting cougar x2, wild elf warsinger

CB on hailstorm tower
draegloth abomination, drow infiltrator, duergar guard, drow assassin x5, kobold miner x2

alepulp on ???
galeb duhr x3, astral stalker, kobold miner x2, goblin runner x2, xeph warrior x2

MW on hellspike
nightwalker sinister x2, shadar-kai witch, shadohunter bat x2, blue x2, skeleton

JH on jungle temple
mercenary general, wand expert x2, human sellsword x6, changeling rogue, human sellsword (cohort)

SB on kings road
djinn swordmaster x2, snake tongue cultist x2, kenku sneak x2, elf warrior, gnoll x2
Don't you dare say NOST, Dave...

Kuo-Toa Whips?  At-will lines ignore the updated targeting rules.
Merc Gen + Sellswords?  Nerfed AoEs means swarm bands will do better.
Capricious Copper Dragon?  Bonus VPs never hurt.
No bloody whips!!!

though really yes swarms of any type can do well (better) now.

I do love that Cap Copper but a warband limit of 8 will kill any idea of the CCD's use.
My map was forest cliff lair.
Someone dared question my NOST-y comment. So, here goes...

Here's a (trick) question for you.

Can you create a band with a Fiendish Girallon that is competitive today?

Dave 

Can you create a band with a Fiendish Girallon that is competitive today?

No.

I only object to the use of "NOST" because the phrase itself is ridiculous.  Obviously everyone is going to bring what they think is awesome technology.  It does backfire occasionally, like with Kezghan and his Kolyarut Tongue out

And if you can build a competitive band featuring the Fiendish Girallon, V - you should definitely come to the champs and prove it!
I only object to the use of "NOST" because the phrase itself is ridiculous.

Agreed.
And if you can build a competitive band featuring the Fiendish Girallon, V - you should definitely come to the champs and prove it!

I will bring the band I'm imagining.

By the way, I did put the word "trick" in parentheses in my previous post for a reason. It's not the Fiendish Girallon I want you all to be focusing on.

I asked if anyone could make a band with that piece that would be competitive. If you can figure THAT out, then you're getting closer to what I'm dreaming of.

But then, I haven't played in a year, so what do I know?

;)

Dave

IMO, I am betting that you will see a lot of Dispater Iron Duke of Hell warbands. 

On certain maps (which we don't yet know for the Championship), Dispater and certain friends can be a bear to bring down and defeat.  His 5 Fire damage each round, range sight for 20, and creating fire squares can wear you down very quickly. 

Cool

Sign In to post comments