Plundered My Soul

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please be gentle. I've been out the Magic scene for quite a while (I believe my last draft was shortly after 8th released), but a friend recently shared the Commander rules with me and I decided to check it out.  While I was looking at the various commanders the old deckbuilding bug bit and for the last two weeks I've been fiddling with all the new options.

This is the first deck I've decided to share, and please forgive me it happens to be similar to anything previously posted - I haven't searched the decklists yet.  I'm a little concerned that it doesn't ramp quickly enough, but once it gets rolling I think it should knock the legs out from under everyone else.  Thrax is the commander.
Show

6 x Creature
1 x Thraximundar
1 x Prince of Thralls
1 x Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 x Kederekt Creeper
1 x Akki Underminer
1 x Artisan of Kozilek
1 x It That Betrays
1 x Phyrexian Obliterator
1 x Grixis Grimblade
1 x Tidehollow Strix
1 x Avatar of Woe
1 x Deepfire Elemental
1 x Helldozer
1 x Hoard-Smelter Dragon
1 x Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet
1 x Royal Assassin
1 x Plaguebearer
1 x Throat Slitter
1 x Nirkana Cutthroat
1 x Trench Wurm
1 x Viashino Heretic
1 x Visara the Dreadful
1 x Wrexial, the Risen Deep
1 x Grave Titan
1 x Scion of Darkness
1 x Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
2 x Artifact
1 x Sol Ring
1 x Veinfire Borderpost
1 x Mistvein Borderpost
1 x Whispersilk Cloak
1 x Lightning Greaves
1 x Gilded Lotus
1 x Darksteel Ingot
1 x Basilisk Collar
1 x Expedition Map
1 x Mind's Eye
1 x Khalni Gem
1 x Mask of Riddles
Enchantments
1 x Elemental Augury
1 x Volrath's Curse
1 x Eldrazi Conscription
1 x Reality Acid
1 x Sleeper's Robe
1 x Grave Pact
1 x Unnatural Hunger
1 x Cloak of Mists
1 x Protective Bubble
1 x Oversold Cemetery
3 x Instant
1 x Memory Plunder
1 x Soul Manipulation
1 x Spinal Embrace
9 x Sorcery
1 x Slave of Bolas
1 x Cruel Ultimatum
1 x Choice of Damnations
1 x Crack the Earth
1 x Curse of the Cabal
1 x Beseech the Queen
1 x Do or Die
1 x Dregs of Sorrow
1 x Mogg Infestation
1 x Planeswalker
1 x Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Land
1 x Crosis's Catacombs
1 x Volrath's Stronghold
1 x Rakdos Carnarium
1 x Crumbling Necropolis
1 x Strip Mine
1 x Akoum Refuge
1 x Dimir Aqueduct
1 x Jwar Isle Refuge
1 x Bad River
1 x Blackcleave Cliffs
1 x Blood Crypt
1 x Creeping Tar Pit
1 x Darkslick Shores
1 x Dragonskull Summit
1 x Drowned Catacomb
1 x Grixis Panorama
1 x Izzet Boilerworks
1 x Lavaclaw Reaches
1 x Rocky Tar Pit
1 x Salt Marsh
1 x Scalding Tarn
1 x Steam Vents
1 x Tectonic Edge
1 x Tresserhorn Sinks
1 x Watery Grave
1 x Wasteland
1 x Temple of the False God
3 x Swamp
2 x Island
2 x Mountain
1 x Frost Marsh
1 x Urborg Volcano
1 x Bloodstained Mire
1 x Vivid Marsh
1 x Vivid Creek
1 x Vivid Crag
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
Thanks catowner,

It pains me to take the Prince out because there's so much synergy with Thrax and the other effects, but I see your point.
With that advice in mind I'm thinking:
-Prince of Thralls
-Kederect Creeper
-Tidehollow Strix
-Viashino Heretic
-Khalni Gem Seems like it was slowing me down
- 1 swamp
and +
Blood Tyrant
Recurring Nightmare
Diabolic Servitude
Chainer, Dementia Master
Geth, Lord of the Vault How did I miss this guy earlier?!

Does anyone think that having so many non-basic lands is an issue?  Would I better off cutting some of those and including Kite?
Also doesn't look like too many people were interested in reading this thread.  Probably my fault for choosing a weird title, when I can't think of a name for a deck I go to classic British rock.
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
R. Nightmare is banned

It saddens me, but it is the way of the world. 
Bah, I knew I should have checked the list.  Ok, lets see.  I'm not sure whether to swap it for disturbed burial, Grim Harvest, Malevolent Awakening, Necromantic Thirst, Phyrexian Reclamation, Revive the Fallen, Tortured Existence, or Woebearer.
I'm leaning towards the Grim Harvest, I just don't like not having total control over when it's returnable.
of those, phyrexian reclamation by a massive margin.

-Viashino Heretic

Actually, I like Viashino Heretic.  Repeatable artifact destruction can be extremely useful.  
I'm not a fan of Akki Underminer, it seems to small to be able to reliably get through.  I'm also not so sure on Phyrexian Obliterator, he's really best when you drop him on turn 4, but with BBBB it might be hard to do so.  Deepfire Elemental seems weak, you could probably find repeatable artifact destruction for cheaper.  Shattering Pulse may be worth investing in.  I'm also not a fan of small creatures unless they either actively advance your game (ie. Birds of Paradise) or otherwise provide valuable utility (ie. Royal Assassin), so I'd consider cutting Tidehollow Strix and Grixis Grimblade.  The Borderposts are decent, but I would also look into getting the Ravnica Signets (Drimir Signet, Rakdos Signet, Izzet Signet).  I personally feel that Diabolic Tutor will almost always be better than Beseech the Queen, although there is no reason you can not run both.  If you have them, I'd up your planeswalker suite to include Liliana Vess, Sorin Markov, and Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if you don't have Big Jace, keep an eye on the price, he might come down even farther since the banning).  Elemental Augery seems like a worse top, and Acid Reality doesn't seem that good unless you have multiple ways of abusing it.  Id also look into getting more sweepers like Decree of Pain.  
Unlike many others, I think smaller creatures can work in EDH but they need to be supported by equipment woth caring into the red zone.  Swords of This and That, Loxodon Warhammer, Akroma's Memorial, Tasumasa the Dragon's Fang, Argentum Armor all make smaller dudes big threats.  These would make the Creeper, Strix and Grimblade better plays as well as your bigs even nastier.  If thats the way you want to go then I'd put them in for the suggested cuts below.  Anytime a card doesn't allow me complete control of what happens I have to really make sure it's so potent as to be unquestionable.  Do or Die, Crack the Earth, Choice of Damnations all seem underpowered for the lack of control they give you.  Do or Die is completely dead against a Voltron style deck that will often only have one creature on the board.  The other two have similar weakness.  I agree with Regal another sweeper or two would be good.  I'm also down on the Underminer and Protective Bubble.  Capsize (to pair with Reality Acid) and a good draw spell maybe?
Currently in the deck box: Ashling the Pilgrim Horde of Notions Merieke Ri Berit Lin Sivvi Ertai,the Corrupted Riku of Two Reflections Sliver Overlord In Progress: Garza Zol Thraximundar
Thanks for the advice people.  I've pulled out most of the cards that allow the opponent to make the choice.  I find it fun in casual to mess with my opponents by making them stress over what to sacrifice, but it definately makes the deck less competitive.  I can always sub those cards back in if I find the deck too agressive for the group. 
I've put the Heretic back in, and I'm keeping the Deepfire Elemental since he works against both artifacts and creatures.  I had Shattering Pulse in originally, so that was easy.   I'm running Jace in another deck and I don't want to be accused of over-using him so I'm not going to play him here, but I agree that he would be a strong play.  I do like the Capsize + Reality Acid combo, but I'm not willing to devote space in the deck towards making that a reliable play.  I'd also like to include some of the signets, but I'm not sure what else to cut for them.
I've added in board sweepers as suggested, hopefully I didn't go overboard - Decree of Pain, Oblivian Stone, Overwhelming Forces, and Vile Requiem.  I've added River Kelpie and Phyrexian Arena for some additional draw and Diabolic Tutor for goodstuff.  I really appreciate the nudge towards equipment.  I'd been out of the game for so long I had trouble grasping that equipment is strictly better than enchant creature.  Argentum Armor is perfect for this deck and Nim's Deathmantle gives me some additional recursion.
I do have one more question, should I swap the Scalding Tarn, the Steam Vents, the islands and the mountains for 6 swamps since the deck is black heavy?

Current Deck -
Show

1 x Crosis's Catacombs
1 x Volrath's Stronghold
1 x Rakdos Carnarium
1 x Crumbling Necropolis
1 x Strip Mine
1 x Akoum Refuge
1 x Dimir Aqueduct
1 x Jwar Isle Refuge
1 x Bad River
1 x Blackcleave Cliffs
1 x Blood Crypt
1 x Creeping Tar Pit
1 x Darkslick Shores
1 x Dragonskull Summit
1 x Grixis Panorama
1 x Scalding Tarn
1 x Izzet Boilerworks
1 x Lavaclaw Reaches
1 x Rocky Tar Pit
1 x Salt Marsh
1 x Steam Vents
1 x Tectonic Edge
1 x Tresserhorn Sinks
1 x Watery Grave
1 x Wasteland
1 x Temple of the False God
2 x Swamp
2 x Island
2 x Mountain
1 x Frost Marsh
1 x Urborg Volcano
1 x Bloodstained Mire
1 x Vivid Marsh
1 x Vivid Creek
1 x Vivid Crag
1 x Drowned Catacomb

1 x Volrath's Curse
1 x Eldrazi Conscription
1 x Sleeper's Robe
1 x Unnatural Hunger
1 x Oversold Cemetery
1 x Diabolic Servitude
1 x Phyrexian Reclamation
1 x Phyrexian Arena
1 x Vile Requiem

1 x Memory Plunder
1 x Soul Manipulation
1 x Spinal Embrace
1 x Shattering Pulse

1 x Thraximundar
1 x Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 x Artisan of Kozilek
1 x It That Betrays
1 x Avatar of Woe
1 x Deepfire Elemental
1 x Helldozer
1 x Hoard-Smelter Dragon
1 x Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet
1 x Royal Assassin
1 x Plaguebearer
1 x Throat Slitter
1 x Nirkana Cutthroat
1 x Trench Wurm
1 x Visara the Dreadful
1 x Wrexial, the Risen Deep
1 x Grave Titan
1 x Scion of Darkness
1 x Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1 x Chainer, Dementia Master
1 x Geth, Lord of the Vault
1 x Blood Tyrant
1 x Viashino Heretic
1 x River Kelpie

1 x Sol Ring
1 x Veinfire Borderpost
1 x Mistvein Borderpost
1 x Whispersilk Cloak
1 x Lightning Greaves
1 x Gilded Lotus
1 x Darksteel Ingot
1 x Basilisk Collar
1 x Expedition Map
1 x Mind's Eye
1 x Mask of Riddles
1 x Argentum Armor
1 x Oblivion Stone
1 x Nim Deathmantle

1 x Slave of Bolas
1 x Cruel Ultimatum
1 x Curse of the Cabal
1 x Beseech the Queen
1 x Dregs of Sorrow
1 x Decree of Pain
1 x Overwhelming Forces
1 x Diabolic Tutor

1 x Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
1 x Liliana Vess