6/30/2011 TD: "Ten Mind-Blowing, Head-Turning Bullets on Chandra, the Firebrand"

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Old Chandra's ultimate is "probably" better than new Chandra's?  Really?
Yay!  Another terrible Chandra.
Can't say I'm at all surprised.
Wow..

I need a playset. She seems very "Jace" in the sense that any deck she's in (so long as it's not creature heavy) is instantly better.  Jace,TMS set the template and if you want to make a good walker, this is how you do it.

She doesn't look overly powerful, but she's sure to have her moments. 

Plus I like her interaction with her phoenix. It's very slick and makes both cards seem even better.  
Yay!  Another terrible Chandra.
Can't say I'm at all surprised.

Red doesn't have much in the way of "Pie" options. This covers the most basic of them design wise, and wraps it in a nice package. Shes splashable, deals at least 1 damage a turn, can turn one card into two.

In RDW she gives you a turn clock, can help remove chump blocks, help red zone burn and if she makes it that far, finishes the game or explodes blockers.

She isn't bad. She fits her color.  Most of the Walker designs now have been narrow, this chandra is at least splashable.

Right casting cost, right abilities... still no JtMS I will certainly be playing 4 in RDW though
I was expecting to see a rather differnt Chandra, kinda like how Jace does mill, but I think this is just like Chandra Nalaar done right, I think i'm most surpised about the -2 ability to copy a spell. I would have thought that the would have beedn perfect for a U/R walker still seems pretty cool. Her mana cost kinda surprised me though too, 3 colorless and only one of anything. Overall she seems ok, just not as different as i was expecting.
I strongly believe it should be 2RR.

Koth could have been 3R since you really have to play mountains for him the color costs are implied, letting her be splashable is not cool.

Also, the art is terrible.

-2 seems pretty legit, imo. Double-Green Sun Zenith for two primeval titans? Don't mind if I do.
Check out my magic blog: http://magicthemusing.wordpress.com/
This is bull, and Development has thrown up their hands and have gone "We give up. We can't make her good because we are too scared of what her theme is!". I mean seriously, would a Shock have been that bad a +1 ability? Why does Jace get a free 4 turn "I win" ability, and NOT Chandra? What the heck?

Oh, it's because she has a Combo? She gets free birdies back? Phoenix that don't get pumped up like the Vampires do? Because, honestly, relying on a card combo to make a planeswalker actually good is weak.

Yes, you are selling the best ability on the card. A repeatable fork is nice... if you actually would get a chance to repeat with it. I am seriously doubting that I could play this card on turn 4 and have it live long enough to see turn 5. That means I have to wait till I have enough mana around to play this later. Her 1 point of damage and 1 Loyalty token isn't enough. It's just flatly is not enough. Her ultimate is inadequate with 7 toughness being common in the last Block. Sure, it kills a titan, but unless you're on the draw play (I mean play), you're not going to get that 6 loyalty counters.  Oh, assuming it's not a Inferno Titan. Than your just SOL.

Development should be shamed. They have once again snubbed other colors in favor of Blue, and they once again have wasted a slot by being worried about direct damage. This is just crappy. She should have cost 3. There is no reason with her abilities and power that she should have not cost 3.

Someone remind me why we have a planeswalker besides Jace again?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I like it.

'nuff said.
For the most part, Mike, a very insightful article.  And I like the new Chandra.  A couple quibbles though.

The fact is, with one glaring exception (that happens to be the one and only three-mana planeswalker), each and every serious-impact planeswalker—certainly every planeswalker that has challenged for the "best in class" title in Standard—has been four mana. Ajani Goldmane in White-Black Tokens... four mana. Ajani Vengeant in Naya Lightsaber (and a fair number of other decks)... four mana. Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas in both the Artifact Grixis and Poison decks... four mana. Jace, the Mind Sculptor in allegedly every viable deck (like I have to remind you)... four mana.

I am stunned - stunned!! - that you forgot to mention Elspeth, Knight-Errant.  Surely I can't be the only person who remembers how she, oh, how should I put it, dominated the universe with her pal Rafiq in Mythic Bant?  :P  Now THAT was a must-have four-drop PW.  Both Ajanis have been big.  Thus far Tezzeret AoB has had a very short surge of popularity in Standard and since then has languished in Block.  In any case, if JtMS wins the award for most format-defining PW of ZEN block (which he obviously does), then I think Elspeth won that award for Shards, with Ajani V. a very, VERY close second.  Scars Block's winner is still not certain since we don't know anything about how Scars will interact with Innistrad, but barring large upheavals, Tezzeret looks to be in the lead.  WotC can't seem to resist printing broken artifacts, after all.

P.S.  Nissa was also a 4-CMC, though being shackled to supporting a tribal creature deck prevented her from being used the way most PW's are used, ie., as a resource that can be applied in any deck that can support the color and needs the powers.  It's a pity, since her power level is almost on par with Elspeth's, when she's in the right deck.
Actually, any version of Chandra can re-buy Chandra's Phoenix, but Chandra, the Firebrand does so most flexibly.

Well, umm, yeah.  Except:  no, not so much.  Remember Chandra Ablaze?  Talk about efficiency - the Phoenix not only gets re-bought by the damage, it also sucks up the discard, preventing Ablaze's plus from emptying your hand.  I'm not trying to pretend this makes Ablaze good.  6 CMC is too much to pay for a PW whose abilites are that hard to control.  But let's not make any bones about which Chandra would be MOST thrilled to have a pet Phoenix to play with.
Why not get a serious dig on with double Preordain? What about double Tezzeret's Gambit?

Doesn't even require red mana.  I salute you, sir.  That is the best idea I've heard all damn day.  Combine with Chalices (for a short time only) / Spheres of the Sun / any Bloodthirst guys they might print in red...  might make an interesting deck.

Chandra, the Firebrand actually needs to activate her (strictly superior) +1 ability three times to set up her -6 ability. This might initially seem inferior to Chandra Nalaar, who needs only two +1 activations before getting ready for "ultimate" conflict.

... but since Chandra, the Firebrand costs one less mana, it's basically a wash.

...wow.  My jaw actually, physically, dropped there, because I have a hard time accepting that you could honestly believe that, Mike.  You're a much better player than that.  What's important is not what fundamental turn your ultimate can fire off on at the earliest.  What matters is how many turns your walker's ass is going to be hanging out there to get chewed on before you can squeeze an ultimate out of it.  And without proliferate tricks, Firebrand has to survive three opponent untaps and draws, whereas Nalaar only has to make it through two.  That's like a whole 50% difference, in case you were having a sudden math failure or something.  Also, in case you didn't notice, the upcoming Standard is host to no less than FOUR vindicate effects - Oblivion Ring, Beast Within, Spine of Ish Sah, and Exclusion Ritual.  And two of those are actually cheap enough to easily cast before you get to 6 loyalty.  One more draw step to find a vindicate in?  That's nothing to scoff at.

The Koth-into-Chandra idea is nifty.  But even though Koth really likes Mountains, I really like jumping the curve with Planeswalkers even more - so I'm likely to be casting a turn 3 Koth off a Chalice, Sphere of the Suns, or whatever 2-drop mana rock Innistrad brings (isn't there always one? :P).  Jumping the curve is the difference between being able to run your walker out there before their creatures get over summoning sickness, and having to wait one or even two or more turns to get defenses online before you can risk your walker.  I mean, sure, you turn 4 Koth and reduce himself to 1 to make Chandra Firebrand.  OK, now what?  You're out of mana so unless you have Gut Shot to twincast, you're not likely to be killing any creatures.  Most likely, Chandra will kill some 2/1 and one of your opponents' other guys will kill Koth.

Know what a good guy for that deck would be?  Priest of Urabrask.  Chains mana back to cast the walker, sticks around to chump block while they gear up. 

The DesForce is another neat idea.  But of course, Koth becomes sort of worthless at that point, right?  I guess you can play a Mountain and a turn later start attacking for four.  There won't be much Mana Flaring going on without lands.  But then I suppose at that point it's Chandra who's supposed to put the game to bed. 
"Unsummon" – (I think this was my favorite of the four)

This ability was deceptively powerful.  I think a lot of players overlooked it at first because it was a minus and it was a sorcery speed ability granting a one-mana instant that's typically not run except by newbies due to its crappiness.  But of course, you could do it for several turns in a row, while drawing for more permanent answers to the creature.  If you compare Jace on Unsummon mode to a Tumble Magnet, you begin to see how awesome he was.  No tapping required, so a tapout effect couldn't prevent it.  And if the creature went away for good, he could start regrowing his counters for later use.  Tumble Magnets don't regrow themselves.  :P

In general, I like what they're doing with M12's planeswalkers.  They seem to be providing flavorful walkers with abilities that are almost all useful, and are strong without being overpowered or broken.  Keep it up, WotC, and maybe in a couple years your players will forgive you for the one Frankenstein's Monster that got loose.  :P
Hmm. I think her #2 ability is going to be her calling card. I almost want to try to splash her in an infect deck and cast Caress of Phyrexia.

Casual combos for the WIN.
I strongly believe it should be 2RR.

Also, the art is terrible.

yea agreed, idk why, ive seen some good d.alexander gregory pieces of art b4, but im really not feeling his renditions of the planeswalkers

also she might actually be pretty good in pyro ascension, i think that -2 is actually pretty crazy 
GOSH! Why did you have to put a picture of Chandra's closeup on the article? It really made me shiver in my chair. This is probably the ugliest picture for Chandra ever.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
GOSH! Why did you have to put a picture of Chandra's closeup on the article? It really made me shiver in my chair. This is probably the ugliest picture for Chandra ever.

She looks like Doug Bradley's sister.
About the ultimates... in 1v1 games, isn't Chandra 1.0's strictly better? I mean, I guess this one can kill a Solem Simulacrum, but really... if this let you hit walkers in addition to players that would be something, especially since that wording would pretty much have to let you hit multiple walkers if multiple ones were out.
Stop using "IMO" in sentences that aren't opinion. If you don't think a deck will ever be tier 1, that's great - but it's not an opinion. It's a prediction of the future. I identify as neither male nor female. You may refer to me with either gender pronoun or the singular they, whichever suits you best. ^_^ Re: Dismember
97543238 wrote:
Everybody knows that having your awesome creatures killed before they can do anything is frustrating, but the Red mage in me doesn't seem to understand why it's so bad when his creatures spontaneously combust into Flame Javelins and make his opponent discard something at the same time.
Currently Working On: Self-Mill (Standard)
As much as Mike Flores was trying to drool, unless there's some insane combo with her -2 ability other than Tezzeret's Gambit I don't see her going into any Top Decks.
Best Chandra yet, though that's not saying much. She is quite splashable though, and plussing while removing small critters is not a bad thing.

You know, it seems to me that the Mythics in M12 so far are either reprints or underwhelming. Now if the rest finish in the same vein, that could be OK. But until all are revealed, I'm in fear of a single must-have Garruk print whose price outstrips the rest of the set, Mindsculptor-style.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Funny how the notes about double lightning bolt as the "best" effect ignores the fact that it will be out standard in a few short months. Personally I'm interested in the -2 ability with toys like volt charge effectively being a slightly overpriced 2 lightning bolts with the  benefit of proliferating the two points back for an effective 0 while also being able to boost other tokens..say bloodthirst +1/1s. Double galvanic blast with metalcraft playing with chandra's pheonix and kuldotha phoenix might prove interesting as well.

Being able to get bloodthirst on the cast of creatures and a double killspell with volt charge and gaining +2/2 on the creature that can now attack doesn't seem too bad especially if you just cleared the path for it as well.

I personally want to try some extreme shenanigans with her -2 and precursor golem if you could swing that into a 6x volt charge on yourself for proliferation purposes (granted only if you got your golems beefed up somehow to take the hits) or even a 6x arc trail meaning that -2 becomes 12 damage to your opponent or split however you want. (Not 100% on the arc trail, does precursor actually copy that or not due to the spell targetting more than one target though still only a single of the golems)

As much as it would be clearly too strong I'd love it if the -2 was copy any red spell. The unspecific color makes it better in some ways but if you could clone creatures as you cast them to have two it'd be quite crazy in aggro which would clearly be too strong. The potential double green sun's zenith is quite nice as would even a double red sun's zenith as a stronger potential double killspell or even just as a cheaper killspell against something big.
Love the new Chandra ("Yay they made a good Chandra!"), love the article too.  

Bonus points for sneaking the phrase "ample Mountains." into an article about Chandra. ;)

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Really, really happy with this Chandra.

Loyalty that doesn't skyrocket. Selfdefense that doesn't block up the board. Combopotential. An ultimate that doesn't win by itself. No immediate game-changing presence. As far as I see she avoids all the traits that made me hate planeswalkers. Perfect.

Only downside is the horrible art. Chandra used to look nice, when did she pick up this ugly fishface?
---------
And a little tragic to see yet another failing Jace justification.

"Jace wasn't unfair in the Narcomoeba sense; he was very good, but never actually prevented you from playing Magic.
A - He prevents you from getting lands when you need them, so you can't cast your spells.
B - He prevents you from getting those spells when you have the mana, so you can't cast spells.
C - He undoes al the creatures you cast, further ensuring you do nothing even if you have both the mana and the creature.
D - The ultimate doesn't need explanation.

Yes, the Brainstorm doesn't hinder me, but he has plenty of other ways to stop you from doing stuff. I'm not sure what Flores considers playing magic, but I guess it doesn't involve creatures (or other spells, probably. Who needs them when you have Jace).

"In fact, he challenged you to play better Magic"
'Join me or die' is not a challenge, it's an ultimatum. 
"Koth of the Hammer might actually have been the mightiest four-mana planeswalker printed so far"

Ehm... Tezzeret might want to have a word with you. As far as I know, 5/5 forever is better than 4/4 until end of turn... 
I really like the new Chandra, it's even possible, I'll build my next standard deck aroud her. The combo with phoenix is pretty obvious, then maybe some artifacts to be able to cast Galvanic Blast with metalcraft... Shrine of Burning Rage? Moltensteel Dragon? Immolating souleater? Hmm... and then some Volt Charges to proliferate Chandra and Shrine :-) I'm quite curious about that... And when one's out of cards, Tezzeret's Gambit will do :-)
I have a Standard counterburn deck that could use this Chandra RIGHT NOW. (It's strictly FNM quality at best, but still. It could use her better than Regular Chandra, which is what I currently use.)

Being the first splashable 4-cost walker is definitely an upshot. Most of the 4-cost walkers have seen some play, even the meh ones. The more expensive ones, only if they're really quite good. No, she's not Jace the MS, but y'know what? MOST WALKERS SHOULD NOT BE ANYWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS JACE! Tezzeret and Koth are sort of my personal upper bound for how good a planeswalker at a conventional mana cost should be. (Nicol Bolas and Karn have stronger abilities, sure, but both are quite expensive and Bolas is tri-colored besides.)
I love this new Chandra. Easily better than her previous two. I still like playing Chandra Nalaar in casual decks, but this one is quite a lot better, and doesn't just burn stuff but copies spells too. 

And I don't see why people are ragging on the art. I prefer the original Chandra Nalaar art - she's looking a bit too pouty in this one - but it's not like it's bad.
Someone remind me why we have a planeswalker besides Jace again?

They had a slot for a planeswalker with goggles but no pants.

Do you want Jace with no pants? Really?

4 mana = good
repeatable ping = good
doubling = good
splashable mana cost = good

good walker is good.

Not great, but good. 
I like the new Chandra. It feels more like a 1.2 rather than 3.0, but I approve. If anything jarred, it was the cst not being , but that's a vorthosian observation.

Mike, you kind of spoiled an otherwise decent article with your "Jace wasn't unfair" and "Jace was [bannably] great" comments but I'll let that slide. What baffled me was your final statement (emphasis mine):

Is Chandra the new Jace? I certainly hope not!

Aha! So you do think Jace was a mistake after all? ;)

(I'm just messing with you Mike)

I look forward to this card and hope the article hasn't pushed her price up too much. I seem to be the only one who doesn't mind her art, although Nalaar was better.
And I don't see why people are ragging on the art. I prefer the original Chandra Nalaar art - she's looking a bit too pouty in this one - but it's not like it's bad.

Well, as for the art, I think it's not all that bad. The face looks different from the original, that's true. It would probably be better, if new cards with the existing planeswalkers' characters were drawn by the same artist but still, everyone can recognize Chandra in the picture, right? Wink
I don't like it. The second ability doesn't have anything to do with the other two abilities, neither thematically or mechanically. The ultimate is worse than the first Chandra. It really doesn't tick for me.

Most of the walkers can come into play and make a presence felt immediately by their 2nd ability. Chandra can't. She comes into play doing just one damage. Yes, it can kill creatures, but the first chandra can kill 5 toughness monsters in her first turn.

All the other planeswalker work like a cry of help. You are in a tight situation, they can solve it. If you are cool, they can build some time, fire the ulti and than go away. New Chandra, just the red blazing and impatient walker, can only come if you plan her to stay.

But my main problem is she have two abilities, that say to me "I'm a red mage, I like to burminate stuff!". The same thing her other incarnations did. But these are bad. Her real good ability is a doubling of spells. She could have at least one of the two abilities having something to do with spells. The ultimate could be "Until the end of the turn, all copy all spells you cast from your hand" or "you can cast instant and sorceries from your graveyard without paying mana costs". The ultimate is WORSE than the fist, and you have to wait one more turn to cast. The first abilitiy would be much better if it was a shock, even if it was just for creature, phoenix be dammed.

I'm a very enthusiast red mage, a fan of the first chandra, and I will probably put this one to use(love blue-red spell decks), but I don't like her as a new version of Chandra Planeswalker.
I see where you're going but that's Chandra. When she's mad, she likes to burn stuff... Which is what I like about her, after all. And the second ability isn't out of place. For me, the only problem would be that if you tap out to cast her, you wouldn't probably have the chance to use it. I also think that shock as the first ability wouldn't be that much of a problem, I can even think about some crazy stuff among the minus abilities like: discard a creature card: Chandra deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player.

I'm quite curious to see how good she really is in the game. Definitely her disadvantage against the original Chandra is the low loyalty... playing against another red deck or a deck with a lot of cratures, she wouldn't probably survive for too long. And by the way, shock as the first ability would help her chances...
I don't understand why so many people seem down on this card.  You CAN NOT compare it to Jace.  JTM is broken (literally).  You have to compare it to other PWs and other cards in the environment in which it will be placed and not to a card that is banned. 

And in comparison to other available cards, it is good.  3 mana pingers are playable in standard, certainly not great, but playable.  A 4 mana PW, whose ability can be activated the turn he comes into play is essentially like having haste.  So a 4 mana pinger with "haste", that is harder to remove than a creature, is borderline playable based on that ability ALONE.  

The copy spell ability is OVERPOWERED.  Think copying an ultimatuum-that's win!  Now, ultimatuums are not available in standard, but other powerhouses are.  And this Chandra is so easy to splash.  I can see this being played in a control deck with red in it that copies any number of powerful spells, or conversely a combo deck that looks to copy a specific spell, and uses her other abilities merely as a nice to have (but the middle ability is really why she would be included in a deck like that).

The ultimate is well an ultimate.  It's game breaking, just like you expect it to be.  Meh.

Ok, I will admit, this card is not overpowered.  It's merely appropriately powered.  But pinging while you work your way up to a game breaking ultimate, with the option of copying a powerhouse spell if you draw it-that's win.  

I remember a few people commenting on JTM when he first came out that he was merely so-so.  Haha any rational person could tell almost immediately that he was BROKEN.  On ther other hand, people were in love with Sorin Markov...but he proved too expensive.  My point is, I take very little credence in what posters say about PWs.  They seem especially unable to properly evaluate this type of card. 

It WILL be played.  I don't care what anyone else says.  It's good.  Not great.  But good. 
Hmm, I see, ZursApprentice, you're right about that. And I can even see the use of her second ability for spells like Red Sun's Zenith or Fireball and if you happen to copy your Slagstorm or Pyroclasm, what do you need creatures in a red deck for?
RRRRREeeeeeeevvvvveeeeeerrrrrbbbbbbeeeeeeeerrrrrraaaatttteee

That second ability made my jaw hit the floor.

Well played Chandra, well played.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Hmm, playing a Lightning Bolt for 12 dmg for 3 mana and -2 loyalty on Chandra, seems like fun. Unfortunately, not for too long in standard...
Na. He can keep his skinny legs hidden. Garruk has the better legs, anyway.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Who is comparing it to Jace TMS? I'm comparing it to Jace, Memory Adept. Jace, Memory Adept is quite capable of winning a game all by itself. It serves as it's own win Condition. This new Chandra doesn't. You just pray that her Fork ability will get you there.

Really, who needs to talk about The Mind Sculptor when you have the new broken in this set?
I think she seems pretty good. She's not a mono-red planeswalker; like Flores said, she's better in a controllish strategy (which would be why she's splashable). She's probably worse than Koth, but she seems reasonable enough to me.
blah blah metal lyrics
Well, Koth will be better in many burn decks for sure. You cast him, you can attack for 4, and in 2 turns he gives you the emblem which is great even when you need to deal with protection from red. But copying spells can be interesting even in burn decks... when you support it with Shrine of Burning Rage and some creatures (the Phoenix in the first place), it could do a lot of work. At least, I would give it a try. I hope, I'll open the new Chandra at the prerelease event.
I personally want to try some extreme shenanigans with her -2 and precursor golem if you could swing that into a 6x volt charge on yourself for proliferation purposes (granted only if you got your golems beefed up somehow to take the hits) or even a 6x arc trail meaning that -2 becomes 12 damage to your opponent or split however you want. (Not 100% on the arc trail, does precursor actually copy that or not due to the spell targetting more than one target though still only a single of the golems)

Precursor Golem's ability does not trigger for the copy created by Chandra, the Firebrand; the ability only triggers when a spell is cast, not when a spell is copied.

Precursor Golem's ability also does not trigger for Arc Trail, because Arc Trail does not target only a single Golem; it targets a single Golem and something else.