6/30/2011 FtL: "Infinite Appetite"

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Hilarious article.
Yeah, kajillion pretty much nailed it. I did in fact say "Oh my G-d, that's hilarious!" when I saw the Astral Slide idea.
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
I don't know what to think about this cards, it seems that it can have great potential or totally suck :S

P.D. All the deck ideas were cool
Facinating card.
It is a pity the flicker stuff doesn't work.
The mage, the flickerwisp and astral slide have all recieved errata that conforms them to glimmerpoint stag:

"Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step."

By ending the turn, you just delay the return. 

Using this card as a one-sided Eon Hub seems like more harm than good.
This will probably replace Chronatog in Stasis decks.
Facinating card.
It is a pity the flicker stuff doesn't work.
The mage, the flickerwisp and astral slide have all recieved errata that conforms them to glimmerpoint stag:

"Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step."

By ending the turn, you just delay the return. 

I don't think so... what happens is you wait until the end step when the delayed "return" trigger goes on the stack, then you end the turn. So it doesn't come back now or ever.
You know what card hooked me into magic? Final Fortune.
You know what could be really interesting with Sundial of the Infinite? Final Fortune.
I think I see something coming together...
This card could see legacy play. pact at upkeep dial. aethervial on your turn, dial. It has an interesting interaction with hive mind combo, where it saves you. It prevents painted stone from decking you, and if you have enough creatures you can draw games. I think this card was printed as a cute answer to mill. This card also breaks standstill.
I have a new favorite card. Pretty sure this tops any other card I've seen in "WTF factor."
How about dialing your sun to cheat a Phyrexian Dreadnought into play? So many possibilities to negate drawbacks . . .
I like! Laughing

And it isn't even completely useless in Limited to protect your stuff on your turn.
Not that this is goooooodd, but what if you cheat Phage into play? Does this keep her from killing you? End the turn with her ETB trigger on the stack? Not an optimal combo, but a curious one.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Not that this is goooooodd, but what if you cheat Phage into play? Does this keep her from killing you? End the turn with her ETB trigger on the stack? Not an optimal combo, but a curious one.

Yes, that works fine.
DCI Level 2 Judge WPN Advanced TO RPGA Herald-Level GM
Wow. That is one mad, mad card. I love it.

I think the Infinite Sadness deck - in fact, more or less any Sundial of the Infinite deck - needs Leyline of Anticipation. Otherwise you may find it rather tricky to cast any more spells other than instants. Walking Atlas would also help; otherwise you're giving up your land drops too.
In fact, that kinda looks just like a bad Chronatog deck without Chronatog. It's the same kind of idea as the kooky Lethal Vapors decks that Johnnies used to build.

Now the Evil Flickers deck, on the other hand, is fantastic. Galepowder Mage as a permanent exile machine-gun is awesome and terrifying. 

armogohma's Final Fortune idea and Jakusotsu's Phyrexian Dreadnought are pretty awesome as well. In fact, this Sundial can provide redundancy for Torpor Orb in the Phyrexian Dreadnought / Lord of Tresserhorn / Hunted Horror deck from a few weeks back... :D
How abotu a mono-red deck packing a full suite of Ball Lightnings and Hellspark Elementals?
...or even better: Sneak Attack!
How abotu a mono-red deck packing a full suite of Ball Lightnings and Hellspark Elementals?

They trigger at the beginning of the opponent's end step as well, so you're still not keeping them around for another go...
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Rather than using stuff that makes bad things happen to you at the beginning of your upkeep, why not use stuff that makes bad things happen to you during your end step?  There are fewer options, but you don't have to skip most of your turn.  You can draw a ton of cards with Psychic Vortex and Grafted Skullcap, make Blood Hound really big, or negate the drawback on Torture Chamber or Dross Harvester.  You can also make creatures put onto the battlefield with unearth or Aethermage's Touch stick around.

They trigger at the beginning of the opponent's end step as well, so you're still not keeping them around for another go...

You're right, but Sneak Attack works. Need to be careful reading the Oracle text.
I lol'd hard at the infinite Pact of the Titans.  That, sir, is fabulous; although I do have one nitpicky comment about the deck.  Never use disperse.  Always use Into the Roil instead as it is strictly better.

The Infinite Sadness deck will not win you any friends that's for sure, but I can't help but smile at the thought of turning typically symmetrical effects asymmetrical.  I have a comment for this one too:  you don't need proliferate to keep the fade counters on tangle wire if you have a sundial of the infinite out.  You can just end the turn before the fading trigger resolves and you're all good.

Awesome slide deck is awesome however you missed at least one all star cycling card in the form of Street Wraith.  To be fair it's off color so I can understand how you missed it.  I reccomend replacing the Glassdust Hulk which you aren't casting anyway either.  Also, Mindstone feels out of place in the deck...don't get me wrong it's a great utility card, but it doesn't feel like it jives with the rest of the deck synergy.  Ooh, you can also put Mystifying Maze in here for more blinking shenanigans, just in case.  And Parallax Wave just gets things done.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

First of all nice Scott Pilgrim reference. Second this card + Final Fortune + Isochron Scepter = win. Also the Pact of Infinity deck could have used Scattershot.  This card also makes me want to put back together my old Impromptu Raid + Cream of the Crop deck.
While over-thinking the card combo is pretty much the point of this column, I think we're missing this card's simple uses. First strike. Do your combat damage first, and then end the turn. Boom. One sided combat.
While over-thinking the card combo is pretty much the point of this column, I think we're missing this card's simple uses. First strike. Do your combat damage first, and then end the turn. Boom. One sided combat.

And how exactly is this supposed to be working?

And how exactly is this supposed to be working?

First strike occurs in the combat damage step, where it creates a second combat damage step before the normal combat damage step. If that results in the creature bealt dealt damage "dying" then you allow that to "resolve," then activate the Sundial. This will all occur during the first strike combat damage period and before normal combat damage is dealt. It should only work if your stuff might also have risks of "dying" (no first strike).
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
That would only be relevant if your First Striker is blocked by multiple creatures with one of them dying after First Strike damage is dealt. Nothing to be overly excited about, but yeah, it might have some use occasionally.
Sign In to post comments