New Draft Format?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Swiss drafts are great for playing some "laid-back" games, trying to force a weird archetype, or just for newer players to get some experience.
8-4's are great if you want some quick games against better opponents and don't want to sit through 2 extra matches if your deck sucks.
4-3-2-2's are OK I guess, if you like to win 2 packs with a mediocre deck them move on to the next draft...

However, I feel like something is missing. If you want to improve then you have to draft and play against better players, which means playing in 8-4's. However, the problem with this is that if you lose in the first round, you aren't getting very much play time and its hard to tell whether your deck is actually terrible or if you just had a poor matchup or bad draws, or maybe your opponent just had some really good draws.

It would be really nice to have a more competitive draft queue with swiss pairings. "More competitive" obviously means higher payouts and, correspondingly, higher entry fees. I'd suggest something like "Gold" 8-player swiss draft queue with 8 tix + product entry fee, and with the extra 48 tix, add 12 total packs to the prize pool. Payouts would be 2 packs per game (6-4-4-4-2-2-2-0). The high entry cost means newer players would be discouraged from entering the format, resulting in overall more competitive drafting and gameplay, while still guaranteeing that you'll get decent matches through 3 rounds (who would want to drop out early when you can win 2 packs in the last round even when you start 0-2?).

This could also be run as a daily event with a fixed # of rounds.
Interesting idea..

Problem is I don't think the top end isgood enough to attract better players. Valuing packs at 4 tix you only come out ahead 4 tix if you 3-0.

I do agree that wotc needs to consider different options. Personally I recommended charging 3 tix and changing 4322 to 6322.

But wizards hasgiven me no feedback yet
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Personally, I'd like to see a 12-0 Draft, with the winner getting 2 qps. 
However, I feel like something is missing. If you want to improve then you have to draft and play against better players, which means playing in 8-4's. However, the problem with this is that if you lose in the first round, you aren't getting very much play time and its hard to tell whether your deck is actually terrible or if you just had a poor matchup or bad draws, or maybe your opponent just had some really good draws.

You could play one of the other players a "casual" game with your draft decks. This would be easier if there was an in-game "challenge" button and you didn't have to bother with saving/re-constructing your draft decks.

The current structure pays 8 packs to the winner with a 2-ticket cost. I don't think paying 6 packs to the winner (3-0) with an 8-ticket cost will be appealing to many 8-4 drafters. You've cut the top prize by 25% and increased the ticket cost by 400%.
If what you want is to try out your decks in a competitive environment, I would recomend joining a draft oriented clan. I'm not sure if there are any rules about not pimping clans in the forums, but there is one particular clan that is very popular and focuses on limited play. Once you join, you can often go into the clan chat and ask if anyone wants to play a draft deck and you'll often find  someone to play with. You can google for it by looking for podcasts that focus on limited play.

Mind you, I definitely like the idea of a draft based daily event.

And I should also mention that I've also heard from many different sources that the skill level between swiss and 8-4 isn't really that great, but I don't really have any opinion on that.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!