New Race: Miakkmar (Please PEACH)

38 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is a race that I cooked up partly because I was bored, but mostly because I really wonder how this race would do in the D&D world.

Miakkmar

Miakkmar

Noble warriors born from chaos that harbor a dark secret.

Average Height: 5’ 6” – 6’ 2”
Average Weight: 140 – 180 lb. 

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity or +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Nature
Shapechanger: You are a shapechanger; you can change into a beast. As such, you are subject to effects and conditions that affect shapechangers.
Beast Form: See the explanation below.
Elemental Absorption: After an extended rest choose Cold, Fire, or Lightning. When you take damage from that type you gain regeneration 5 + 1/2 your level until the end of your next turn.
Humanoid: While in human form, you gain a +5 racial bonus to bluff checks to pass yourself as human. (This is more of a placeholder than anything else. I'm working on a better one).
Miasma Eruption: You have the Miasma Eruption power.

Miasma EruptionMiakkmar Racial Power
You focus the energy that runs through your veins at one point and release it in a violent explosion.
Encounter Cold, Fire, or Lightning
Minor Action - Close burst 5
Target:One creature in the burst
Attack:Chosen ability + 3 (6 at 11th level and 9 at 21st level) vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + chosen ability modifier damage and the target is knocked prone.
Level 11: 2d6 + chosen ability modifier damage.
Level 21: 3d6 + chosen ability modifier damage.
Special: The damage this power deals is the same type that you chose for your Elemental Absorption racial feature.

Beast Form

Beast Form

You have the Beast Form power.

Beast FormMiakkmar Racial Power
You let loose a feral cry as your form twists and contorts. Black and silver fire erupts from your body in a bright flash. When the fire fades a huge, angry beast stands in your place.
At-Will Polymorph
Minor Action - Personal
Effect: You change from your humanoid form to beast form or vice versa. Your equipment becomes part of your beast form, but you drop anything you are holding, except implements and weapons you can use. You continue to gain the benefits of the equipment you wear. You can use the properties and the powers of implements as well as magic items that you wear, but not the powers of wondrous items. While equipment is part of your beast form, it cannot be removed, and anything in a container that is part of your beast form is inaccessible. While in your beast form, you gain the ability associated with your chosen beast form.
Special: Choose a specific Beast Form from the list below. This choice remains throughout your character's life.

Melee Beasts

Your natural weapons (for lack of a better term) take on the properties and enchantments of any melee weapons you were holding when you changed to beast form. If you were holding more than one weapon, you choose which weapon's properties and enchantments to use when you make an attack. If you weren't holding any melee weapons when you changed to beast form, your natural weapons count as a melee weapon with a +3 proficiency bonus and 1d4 damage. You are proficient with your natural weapons.

Bear: You and allies that are adjacent to you gain a +1 bonus to saving throws. This bonus increases to +2 at level 11 and to +3 at level 21.

Cat: Enemies grant combat advantage to you as long as no other creatures are adjacent to it.

Wolf: You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls when attacking creatures that you are flanking. This bonus increases to +2 at level 11 and to +3 at level 21.

Ranged Beasts

Your natural weapons (again, for lack of a better term) take on the properties and enchantments of any ranged weapons you were holding when you changed to beast form. If you were holding more than one weapon, you choose which weapon's properties and enchantments to use when you make an attack. If you weren't holding any ranged weapons when you changed to beast form, your natural weapons count as a ranged weapon with a +3 proficiency, 1d4 damage, and a range of 5/10. You are proficient with your natural weapons. Ranged attacks made in this form do not expend ammunition, unless that ammunition is enchanted, in which case the enchantment transfers to your natural ammunition.

Daggerwing: You do not take damage from falling and you always land on your feet, unless you are immobilized, petrified, stunned, unconscious, or otherwise unable to move.

Serpent: You can shift or stand up from prone as a minor action, as well as move your full speed while crawling.

Spider: You have a spiderclimb speed of 4. 

Keep in mind that these are still experimental and that I'm still working on more. Expect at least one more ranged beast form.

Miakkmar are a mysterious people, known only to a few outside of their wilderness communities.
They are a proud and noble race, but are quick to anger and rarely show mercy when they are.
Should you meet a Miakkmar, you should be careful not insult it, because that may be the last thing you ever do.

Play a Miakkmar if you want...

• to become a ferocious wild beast.

• to struggle with a darker side of yourself.

• to be a member of a race that favors the barbarian, fighter, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, and warlock classes.

Feats

Please note that I haven't separated these into tiers yet. Bear with me. 

Bestial Strength

Prerequisite: Miakkmar
Benefit: When attacking with weapons in the unarmed weapon group you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls. This bonus increases to +2 at level 11 and to +3 at level 21.

Elemental Beast

Prerequisite: Miakkmar, Beast Form racial feature, Elemental Absorption racial feature
Benefit: Any damage you deal while in your beast form is the same type that you chose for your Elemental Absorption racial feature, in addition to any types it may have been before.

Rage of the Beast

Prerequisite: Miakkmar
Benefit: When you take damage while you are bloodied, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls until you are no longer bloodied. This bonus is cumulative, but has a maximum of +3.

Intense Eruption

Prerequisite: Miakkmar, Miasma Eruption racial power
Benefit: Enemies adjacent to the target of your Miasma Eruption racial power take damage equal to half of the ability modifier that you chose for the attack and damage rolls of your Miasma Eruption racial power.

Now, whether it's because I like to push the buttons on my keyboard, or because I feel like you guys should know this, I'm gonna try to explain what this race is supposed to be like more than a stat block can. There are two parts of the race that I wanted to cover: Absorbing energy, and beastliness.

Absorbing Energy
When they don't have to obey the mechanics of a game these guys are all but immune to magical attacks, because they can naturally manipulate what I call Miasma, which is just a combination of all the elemental energies, so they can absorb any energy that's thrown their way. That being said, I think I covered absorbing energy pretty well the way I did. I am debating dropping the resistance, but I will not under any circumstances drop gaining temporary hit points. That is what makes the feature seem like it's actually absorbing the energy. Following stargazer_dragon's advice, I dropped the resist and the temp hp for regen. This actually fits in a lot better with the flavor of absorbing energy. And now I've dropped the regen. Turns out, that it kinda sucked in the first place. We'll see how the new version works out. And now we're back to the regen. The new version was grossly overpowered.

Beastliness
On the other hand, I don't think I've entirely covered their beast side too well. In reality, these guys are supposed to be able to transform into an animal, like a wolf or a bear. But the only thing that's really beastly about them is Bestial Strength combined with Miakkmar Weapon Proficiency. These features are supposed to convey their bestial nature, in that they prefer to fight with their hands rather than weapons. Weapons wouldn't help too much when you transform into an animal. I still haven't found a good way to implement a beast form for these guys that isn't almost exactly a copy and paste of the Druid's Wild Shape. I want to include some bonuses for being in beast form, like a speed bonus, but I'm not sure how to implement it. And inspiration has struck. Going along with stargazer_dragon's idea for different beast forms, I'll be writing up bonuses and some powers for the Beast Form. Tune in later, and I might just have something. Hey, guess what? I have some beast forms! So far there are 5, 3 melee and 2 ranged, but I'll be coming up with at least one more ranged beast form. You should go check them out, maybe even drop some suggestions while you're there. Also, check out the feats section. I know it's small, but that just means there's more room to grow!

Feedback is appreciated!

Think the Ossassin sucks? Think again! Check out my attempt at a fix!
Could I perhaps add a difrent sugestions for changes to some of the features

Elemental Absorption:
At the end of an extended rest, choose Cold, Fire, or Lightning. You when you take damage from that type you gain Regeneration equal to your constitution Modifier until the end of your next turn.

Works similarl to temp HP but will recover them even if they have temp HP and should reflect the fact that they absorb the element and use it to empower themselves. just a idea though

Perhaps make a few specific forms they can change into each one allowing difrent weapon type attacks to be made. For example

You assume the form of a giant serpant. While in this form you gain a spit attack- this attack uses the same stats as any ranged weapon you were holding when you changed shape. If you had no ranged weaposn this attack is +3 attack 1d4 damage range 5/10.

Racial feats could expand upon this.

If you dump a little more effot into it I would remove the beastal strength compleatly tying it into this power, I would also allow impliment type attacks to be used maybe with a specific form, or alternatly change the miasma eruption range to be more usefull to impliment users  so that impliment and weapon suers have a class power that is usefull to them.

Basic idea it to make the race effective for a wider variety of classes as it is right now they would be like a ideal monk which is definatly not the way you want a race to be over all though you have a decent idea with a little reworking it could easaly be a fun race to play
An' ye harm none, do what ye will
I retract my former statement about the temp hp. Regen is a much better idea. As for multiple forms, that may take a while, and I'm still trying to come up with a decent power for ONE form, however, I do like the idea.

Range with miasma eruption will most likely be a feat, representing the training and focus required to focus the energy at a different location before the explosion. Speaking of miasma eruption, I'm not quite sure how that ended up as a d8. I specifically remember changing BECAUSE dragon breath is only a d6.
why lowlight?
They live out in the wild, mostly in or around forests. They hunt for their own food, regardless of the time of day. That being said, forests aren't exactly known for being well-lit.

EDIT: So, pretty much the same reason that Shifters have low-light vision.
 I'm not sure I buy that, the lowlight ability doesn't fit with the other abilities shown, and there's not enough lore here to justify it otherwise.

BEstial strength is useless to any class who doesn't use unarmed weapon group, so with the exception of the monk and some fighters that's all of them.

Weapon boosting abilities are inappropriate for races because  that's design space forcing them into classes that use those weapons. 

Elemental absorbtion: Take the con mod out of the ability, it skews the race towards con classes in order to use an inherent ability (which when combined with the bestial strength is gonna make them all brawling fighters).

Next up the ability seems underpowered, I mean you take a hit that's probably say 5-6 points at level 1, you then regain 4-5 temp hp?

In this case resistance is objectively better since it negates 5 damage and you're at the same point except that you did less book keeping and can still get temp hp from somewhere else.

Consider giving them the ability to spend a surge when hit with the proper element, or maybe they can power up their next attack instead? 
BEstial strength is useless to any class who doesn't use unarmed weapon group, so with the exception of the monk and some fighters that's all of them.

If you noticed, Spiked Gauntlets are actually in the Unarmed weapon group, so false, Bestial Strength is practically useless for anything that isn't a melee class. Which is still not good, I realize, so I'll probably drop it. What would you recommend go in its place? I was thinking something rage-y, because I envision these guys getting angry and letting the beast out, so to speak. Which might just be covered by the Beast Form that I'm working on.

Weapon boosting abilities are inappropriate for races because  that's design space forcing them into classes that use those weapons.

valid.

Elemental absorbtion: Take the con mod out of the ability, it skews the race towards con classes in order to use an inherent ability (which when combined with the bestial strength is gonna make them all brawling fighters).

I agree, I was kind of iffy on the con mod anyways. It was really more of a placeholder than anything else. Should I go with a static scaling number, or a modifier of some sort? I'm thinking static scaling number, for now.

Next up the ability seems underpowered, I mean you take a hit that's probably say 5-6 points at level 1, you then regain 4-5 temp hp?
In this case resistance is objectively better since it negates 5 damage and you're at the same point except that you did less book keeping and can still get temp hp from somewhere else.

You seem to be basing that off of the old version. Now taking that type of damage triggers some regeneration goodness. I might add the resist back in though. Also, you had both the resist and the temp hp gain, so, yeah.

Consider giving them the ability to spend a surge when hit with the proper element, or maybe they can power up their next attack instead?

Those are both valid. I'll probably dump the healing surge for regeneration though, but powering up the next attack...hmm...perhaps I'll give the players a choice in that one.

Being proficient in a weapon doesn't make it useable or attractive.

Spiked gauntlets are weak weapons, and many classes have better options, and that's not even considering guys like the rogue or ranger who have class feature type reasons to avoid them. 
I'm not sure I buy that, the lowlight ability doesn't fit with the other abilities shown, and there's not enough lore here to justify it otherwise.

What exactly does that mean? Low-light doesn't fit with just about any real abilities I can think of. If you're referring to skill bonuses to perception the only race that fits that way that I can think of right now are the elves. What about dwarves, eladrin, half-elves, or tieflings? And those are just the ones from PHB1. The shifters have low-light. They were descended from lycanthropes, I know, but the Miakkmar have a beast form. The beast is literally a part of them. Do you still need more?

EDIT: Hey, you made this post seem out of place. Anywho, I already acknowledged that those two weren't as well thought out as they could have been. I'll be dropping those and figuring something new out.

How about scaling regeneration, 5+1/2 lvl when hit with the proper elemental type, further tie the miasma to it and raise the damage back up to D8.

This weakns the miasma to such a point where it could be concidered a minor power instead oa a main one. Perhaps even better would be to turn it into a racial feat.

Perhaps

Show

Miakkmar

Beast Form: You gain the Beast form at will power. When you create your char choose a beast form you may use the beast form racial power to assume this form once per round.

Elemental Absorption: At the end of an extended rest, choose Cold, Fire, or Lightning. When you take damage from that type, you gain regeneration 5+1/2 lvl

Beast Form (Giant Snake)Racial Power
With a Roar your form contorts and changes Scales erupting from your flesh as your gear seams to melt into you, moments later a huge Snake stands in your place.
Encounter Polymorph, Primal
Minor action - Personal
Target:Self

Effect: You gain a spit attack while in this form and our considered to be still using any implements you had before changing form. Your spit attack uses the same attack and damage as any ranged weapons you were holding when you changed form. If you were not holding a weapon then your spit is +3 attack And 1d4 Damage.

Effect: You change from your humanoid form to beast form or vice versa. Your equipment becomes part of your beast form, but you drop anything you are holding, except implements and weapons you can use. You continue to gain the benefits of the equipment you wear. You can use the properties and the powers of implements as well as magic items that you wear, but not the properties or the powers of weapons or the powers of wondrous items. While equipment is part of your beast form, it cannot be removed, and Anything in a container that is part of your beast form is inaccessible.

Special: You can use this power once per round.

Miakkmar are a mysterious people, known only to a few outside of their wilderness communities.
They are a proud and noble race, but are quick to anger and rarely show mercy when they are.
Should you meet a Miakkmar, you should be careful not insult it, because that may be the last thing you ever do.

• to fight with the ferocity of a wild beast.

• to be a member of a race that favors the barbarian, fighter, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, and warlock classes.

Racial feat

Elemental spit
    Requirment: Giant snake beast form
    Effect: when in your beast form your spit adds your chosen element type to all damage done. The attack still does whatever damage type it did before. Example: if the attack did fire damage and your chose type was cold the attack now deals fire and cold damage.

Improved absorbtion
          You gain the Miasma Eruption encounter power

You channel the energy that runs through your veins and force it outward in a violent explosion.
    Encounter Cold, Fire, Lightning
    Free action - Close burst 1
    Trigger: You take damage of the same type that you chose for your Elemental Absorption racial feature.
    Target:All creatures in the burst
    Hit: 1d6 + chosen ability modifier damage and you may push the target one square.
    Special: The damage this power deals is the same type that you chose for your Elemental Absorption racial feature.

Figured this would open up a good number of racial feats possibly soem realy cool paragon paths. making a few difrent beats forms 2 or 3 would allow you to cover both malee and ranged classes so the race does not lean towards eather 1. The beast form has little effects at first but the use of racial feats could make the beast form more potent while maintaining balence.
Ok here's the problem with beast forms as racial powers: What's the freaking point?

So far you've managed to almost break even on the change Stargazer, why would anyone want to change forms?

As for the lowlight, elves and dwarves have lots of old lore supporting their use of the ability.

Teiflings are a weaker case but the devs obviously decided that their old school association with darkness was best represented by lowlight these days.

Shifters... probably shouldn't have gotten lowlight.

It's not a big deal it just seems like you need all your design space for features on these guys. 

Gonna be honest, I don't see what the big deal about this is. It's a common trope for the more animalistic, primitive, savage, or wild races to get Low-Light visions, so I fail to see the problem. Eladrin, Elf, Gnoll, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Shifter, Thri-Kreen, Wilden. It honestly doesn't even take up that much design space.

Elemental Absorption:
At the end of an extended rest, choose Cold, Fire, or Lightning. When you take damage from that type, you gain regeneration 4. The regeneration increases to 8 at level 11 and to 12 at level 21.
How long does this regeneration last? Because that will determine whether this is just slightly overpowered or horrifically overpowered. If it's until the end of the encounter, then it's horrifically overpowered. If it's until the end of your next turn, then it could use a nerf to 3/6/9 or maybe even 2/4/6. I'm comparing to the one Half-Orc feaure that's 5/10/15 but only temporary HP and only once per encounter.

Rage of the Beast:
 If you take damage while you are bloodied, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls. This bonus is cumulative.
Again, you need to put a duration on this sort of thing. Until the end of the encounter? Until you're no longer bloodied? Honestly, this seems very powerful to me, so if you really want to make this cumulative, then I'd still cap it at like +3 and have it reset when the character is no longer bloodied.

Miasma Eruption:
You have the Miasma Eruption power

You channel the energy that runs through your veins and force it outward in a violent explosion.
Minor Action - Close burst 1
Target:All creatures in the burst
Hit: 1d6 + chosen ability modifier damage and you may push the target one square.

"Close burst 1" is to be avoided for racial powers because of how limited in use it is to non-melee classes. I typically suggest "Close blast 3 or burst 1" as an alternative to make the power more useful to ranged character and to give powers a bit more versatility. That said, either way, I think that this is a bit over the mark in terms of power. I would reduce the damage to simply be "chosen ability modifier damage" with no roll at all. Comparing to Dragon Breath, that seems fair.

Beast Form:
 Coming soon.
Honestly, unless this is purely a flavor feature with almost no mechanical impact at all, I don't think that you have the design space left for it.

Now, whether it's because I like to push the buttons on my keyboard, or because I feel like you guys should know this, I'm gonna try to explain what this race is supposed to be like more than a stat block can.

This is a good thing. Insight into design decisions is always welcome.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Ok here's the problem with beast forms as racial powers: What's the freaking point?
 Flavor from what I understood of it, and it gives some realy nice room for cool racial feats, the race IMO has to many features to allow beast form to do much at first, it should be just weaker then changlings ability, beast form was becouse the OP said that the race was suposed to be able to absorb energy and change into a beast as part of it's main idea. I am assuming they got the idea from a book or something based on how it sounded to me. though it has next to no combat use at first it could have some fun rp effects also.

So far you've managed to almost break even on the change Stargazer, why would anyone want to change forms?

again at first with no feat expenditure more for coolness effect, rp uses, changling change shape also has no combat uses but I found my player loved it just becouse she could pretend to be all sorts of stuff. Personaly I think I would enjoy a race that could change into a beast form espetialy with good racial feat backup which to me is key to the designe

As for the lowlight, elves and dwarves have lots of old lore supporting their use of the ability.

Teiflings are a weaker case but the devs obviously decided that their old school association with darkness was best represented by lowlight these days.

Shifters... probably shouldn't have gotten lowlight.

It's not a big deal it just seems like you need all your design space for features on these guys.

I see where the OP got the idea for lowlight vision from since shifters get it, But I agree that designe space is prety limited on these guys. Would be a perfect canidate for a racial feat, perhaps even grant it while in beast form but I think racial feat would be better

How long does this regeneration last? Because that will determine whether this is just slightly overpowered or horrifically overpowered. If it's until the end of the encounter, then it's horrifically overpowered. If it's until the end of your next turn, then it could use a nerf to 3/6/9 or maybe even 2/4/6. I'm comparing to the one Half-Orc feaure that's 5/10/15 but only temporary HP and only once per encounter.

Oh, how clumsy of me.  I didn't even realize. Yeah, I was thinking more until the end of your next turn. Would that heal twice? I've never played where regeneration actually came into play. And, yeah, it could use a nerf couldn't it?

Again, you need to put a duration on this sort of thing. Until the end of the encounter? Until you're no longer bloodied? Honestly, this seems very powerful to me, so if you really want to make this cumulative, then I'd still cap it at like +3 and have it reset when the character is no longer bloodied.

done.

"Close burst 1" is to be avoided for racial powers because of how limited in use it is to non-melee classes. I typically suggest "Close blast 3 or burst 1" as an alternative to make the power more useful to ranged character and to give powers a bit more versatility. That said, either way, I think that this is a bit over the mark in terms of power. I would reduce the damage to simply be "chosen ability modifier damage" with no roll at all. Comparing to Dragon Breath, that seems fair.

Your point about the range is valid. Now, when you say no roll, I'm assuming you mean no damage roll, because otherwise that would be...interesting. Enter the minion killer!

Honestly, unless this is purely a flavor feature with almost no mechanical impact at all, I don't think that you have the design space left for it.

It will be mostly flavor, kind of like I imagine how the Changeling's is mostly flavor. Being in beast form will probably grant some sort of odd bonus, i.e. for the snake form won't grant combat advantage for squeezing. Odd stuff like that. I think stargazer_dragon just about nailed it on the head. And the beast form does open up possibilities for quite a few paragon paths. Enter flying beast form!
I would avoid flying beats form, hovering perhaps though, maybe with a overland flight spead at lvl 16 and flight at the very end of paragon path where such magical gear can be obtained.

For the miasma power blast 3 is better then add a feat for blast 5 and a difrent feat for burst 2 within 10 which brings it perfectly in line with dragon born power.

small extra bonus to beast form would be ok but keap the initial bonus for beast form to very low combat impact or you will start to be OP however There is a TON of room for racial feats to add flavor and bonuses to the beast form, effect wise you could mimick some of the feats curently out but reflavor them to work into the beast form for a richer feat selection. Also some racial class feats would be extreamly easy to do. I would make a small handfull of feats for the miasma power and a good amount of feats for beats form then a few feats for the other racial aspects like lowlight vision.
Sugested updated version

[sblock]
Miakkmar

Vision: Normal
Beast Form: You gain the Beast form at will power. At first level choose a beast form you may only have one beast form racial power

Elemental Absorption:
At the end of an extended rest, choose Cold, Fire, or Lightning. When you take damage from that type, you gain regeneration 5+1/2 lvl untill the end of your next turn.

Beast Form (Giant Snake)Racial Power
With a Roar your form contorts and changes Scales erupting from your flesh as your gear seams to melt into you, moments later a huge Snake stands in your place.
Minor action - Personal

Effect: You gain a spit attack while in this form and are considered to be still using any implements you had before changing form. Your spit attack uses the same attack and damage as any ranged weapons you were holding when you changed form. If you were not holding a weapon then your spit is +3 attack And 1d4 Damage. While in this form squeezing does not grant combat advantage.

Effect: You change from your humanoid form to beast form or vice versa. Your equipment becomes part of your beast form, but you drop anything you are holding, except implements and weapons you can use. You continue to gain the benefits of the equipment you wear. You can use the properties and the powers of implements as well as magic items that you wear, but not the properties or the powers of weapons or the powers of wondrous items. While equipment is part of your beast form, it cannot be removed, and Anything in a container that is part of your beast form is inaccessible.

Beast Form (Wolf)Racial Power
With a Roar your form contorts and changes your hair grows and turns into thick fur as your gear seams to melt into you, moments later a huge wolf stands in your place.
Minor action - Personal

Effect: You gain a Bite attack while in this form and are considered to be still using any implements you had before changing form. Your Bite attack uses the same attack and damage as any melee weapons you were holding when you changed form. If you were not holding a weapon then your bite is +3 attack And 1d4 Damage. While in this form you may stand up from prone as a minor action.

Beast Form (Bear)Racial Power
With a Roar your form contorts and changes Thick fur erupts from your back and claws sprout from your hands  as your gear seams to melt into you, moments later a huge bear stands in your place.
Minor action - Personal

Effect: You gain a Claw attack while in this form and are considered to be still using any implements you had before changing form. Your Claw attack uses the same attack and damage as any melee weapons you were holding when you changed form. If you were not holding a weapon then your Claw is +3 attack And 1d4 Damage. While in this form push,pull, and slide effects move you one less space.

Beast Form (Wild Cat)Racial Power

With a Roar your form contorts and changes your Teeth elongate and hair turns into a fine fur as your gear seams to melt into you, moments later a Large wild cat stands in your place.

Minor action - Personal

Effect: You gain a Rake attack while in this form and are considered to be still using any implements you had before changing form. Your Rake attack uses the same attack and damage as any one handed melee weapons you were holding when you changed form. If you were not holding a weapon then your Claw is +3 attack And 1d4 Damage. While in this form enimies grant combat advantage to you as long as you have a allie adjacent to them.

• to fight with the ferocity of a wild beast.

• Bestial Sight
    Effect: You Gain Low-light vision.

Elemental Beast form
    Requirement: beast form
    Effect: When in your beast form your beasts attack adds your Elemental Absorption type to all damage done. The attack still does whatever damage type it did before. Example: if the attack did fire damage and your chose type was cold the attack now deals fire and cold damage

Pact tactic
    Requirement: Wolf beast form
    Effect: when you have combat advantage and in beast form your attacks also knock the target prone.

Devine Bear
    Requirement: Bear beast form
    Effect: When in beast form your encounter and daily healing powers grant the target regeneration 2+1/2 your level until the end of there next turn.

Evasive Spit
    Requirement: Giant snake beast form
    Effect: When in your beast form your spit attack does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Selective Spit
    Requirement: Giant snake beast form
    Effect: When in your beast form Implement attacks do not harm allies in the area of effect.

Prowler
    Requirement: Wild Cat beast form
    Effect: When in your beast form you gain combat advantage against targets That made a attack that did not include you as a target on there last turn.

Improved absorption
    You gain the Miasma Eruption encounter power

Free action - Close Blast 3
    Trigger: You take damage of the same type that you chose for your Elemental Absorption racial feature.
    Target: All creatures in the Blast
    Attack: Chosen ability + 3 (6 at 11th level and 9 at 21st level) vs. Fortitude
    Hit: 1d6 + chosen ability modifier damage.

Ranged Miasma
    Effect: 
    The range of your miasma becomes close blast 5 or burst 2 within 10 choose one when you take this feat.

I would avoid flying beats form, hovering perhaps though, maybe with a overland flight spead at lvl 16 and flight at the very end of paragon path where such magical gear can be obtained.

That's kinda what I meant. I was thinking somewhat like the Scion of Arkhosia paragon path.

For the miasma power blast 3 is better then add a feat for blast 5 and a difrent feat for burst 2 within 10 which brings it perfectly in line with dragon born power.

The only problem with that is then the power is just a reflavored version of Dragon Breath. I added a choice between close burst 1 and close blast 3 like crimson suggested. I could do something like this with feats:

Improved Eruption - increase the range of Miasma Eruption to close burst 2 or close blast 5.
Distant Eruption - change the range of Miasma Eruption to area burst 2 within 10 squares.

Although, I'm not sure what tier to put distant eruption in. Isn't the equivalent dragonborn feat paragon? Also, I don't really like the idea of Miasma Eruption being a feat power.

small extra bonus to beast form would be ok but keap the initial bonus for beast form to very low combat impact or you will start to be OP however There is a TON of room for racial feats to add flavor and bonuses to the beast form, effect wise you could mimick some of the feats curently out but reflavor them to work into the beast form for a richer feat selection. Also some racial class feats would be extreamly easy to do. I would make a small handfull of feats for the miasma power and a good amount of feats for beats form then a few feats for the other racial aspects like lowlight vision.

I completely agree with this. I think the best part of any race is roleplayability, part of the reason that Revenant is my favorite race. I am debating bumping lowlight vision down to a feat, but, if I did, I'd want to grant a bonus to something other than perception. This race is almost starting to be just a reflavored Dragonborn.

Elemental Absorption: At the end of an extended rest, choose Cold, Fire, or Lightning. When you take damage from that type, you gain regeneration 5+1/2 lvl untill the end of your next turn.

I think that is rather ungodly regeneration. At level 1 that is almost 1/3 of your total health that gets healed, and that's if you're a defender with a 20 in con (18 + 2 racial bonus, for those wondering). At level 10 that means you would have regeneration 10, which means, if I'm correct, that you would heal 20. Then again, you probably got hit for a nice chunk of that. I dunno. As you can tell, I'm not exactly experienced in the ways of balance.

the fact that you only regenerate when you are hit and take damage from the correct elemental power means that the regen should rarely come into play giving it room to be stronger.  Regen happens at the start of your turn so regen lasting uintill the end of your next turn will only grant you 1 regen. Further if you take damage from the same source multiple times you still only regenerate once.

So say at lvl 10 you get hit with a attack that does D6 damage of the chosen type, you would possibly gain as much as 9 HP which at lvl 10 isn't realy that much and more likaly you would gain 7.

However if say 2 creatures hit you then the regen only recoveres 10 of the averge 6 possible 12 damage. and D6 is a weak attack for lvl 10 monsters.

At lvl 1 it is more potent but still a attack will likaly do a averge of 3 damage.

IMHO since the regn is limited specificaly for when you take damage it is actualy a touch weaker then the tiflings resistence though only a smidge.

no matter how you spin the miasma power it will resemble the dragon born breath power, if you wanted to make it more destinctive I could sugest changing range to close burst 5 and changing the target to one creature in burst, the fluff you could change so they absrobe the energy then fire it off as a blast of energy. This should resemble the dragon born power much less and cater to both ranged and melee classes.

As for it being a feat I would keap it as a feat simply becouse the race is very feature heavy so is more balenced that way but thats just my thoughts. for other enhancement feats, allow the blast to push, knock prone, or other similar mild effects or simply leave it with a single feat to inhance damage like most racial pwoers have, maybe one to enhance range to close burst 10 or two targets in burst.

the fact that you only regenerate when you are hit and take damage from the correct elemental power means that the regen should rarely come into play giving it room to be stronger.  Regen happens at the start of your turn so regen lasting uintill the end of your next turn will only grant you 1 regen. Further if you take damage from the same source multiple times you still only regenerate once.

Dang it. I may have to increase the duration on that. Now that I think of it like that that makes it significantly worse than resistance. Maybe something like this would be better without being so overpowered.

Elemental Absorption: After an extended rest choose Cold, Fire, or Lightning. When you are hit by an attack of that type instead of taking damage gain temporary hit points equal to half the damage that attack would have dealt.

How does that sound? Except I can still see it being pretty overpowered. Hmm. Just a thought.

no matter how you spin the miasma power it will resemble the dragon born breath power, if you wanted to make it more destinctive I could sugest changing range to close burst 5 and changing the target to one creature in burst, the fluff you could change so they absrobe the energy then fire it off as a blast of energy. This should resemble the dragon born power much less and cater to both ranged and melee classes.

The whole thing about it is that it's not a burst of flames, it's an explosion, that's why it was originally a close burst 1. You know what, I'm gonna change it to area burst 1 in 10 squares.

By the way, I like what you did with the beast forms. I'll probably use most of those. The only problem is that now I have to give players some sort of reason, NOT to be in beast form.
This is why i hate beast forms for basic racial powers.

Most of those are useless to ranged weapon uses since their ammo can't be launched.

The wolf needs to gain a flat bonus instead of using their str mod.

and finally they all need to be remolded as simple interchangeable features, or worked into a racial power list ala shadows and vryloka 

In combat I would just let them stay in beats form it is after all a very attractive option, and not becouse it grants a lot of bonuses more so that it is difrent and makes you feal special.

As for the regen it is in one way stronger then resistence and in anouther weaker.

Perhaps add in : You also gain resist 5 of your chosen type untillt he end of your next turn.  This represent that they can continue to absorb a little after the initial amount but can still be overwhelmed. anything more then this and your almost for sure going to overpower it

Even adding the resist 5 could be bourding overpowered.

Perhaps add a racial feat for improving the energy absorbtion,  aSingle feat could add resist 5 of the chosen energy type

A aditional lvl could rais it by 1/2 lvl the second feat being a paragon feat.

Also Close burst 5 targeting one creature would easaly still be able to be fluffed as a explotion of energy yet the energy focuses on a single target more then the others so it only damages one thing.

I would fluff it to look how you invisioned as even dragon born must spen a feat to get range

Most of those are useless to ranged weapon uses since their ammo can't be launched.

Remember, the serpent is a ranged beast form. It spits venom as ammo. Also, if you read the notice, I'm still working on more beast forms. If you have a suggestion for more ranged beasts forms, that would be great. Just complaining about it won't do much good.

The wolf needs to gain a flat bonus instead of using their str mod.

Valid and done.

and finally they all need to be remolded as simple interchangeable features, or worked into a racial power list ala shadows and vryloka 

This part may need a bit more explaining. What exactly do you mean by it? Do you mean have one Beast Form power and just list the features for the separate beasts? Also, I don't want them to replace utility powers with the separate beast forms. The fluff behind these guys is that their beast form is tied to the kind of person they are, i.e. Bear = protector. Not only that, but their beast form is actually a separate entity. It has its own mind, its own personality, and what have you. Having multiple transformations would suggest that the kind of person they are changes on a daily basis. I'm not saying that it never happens, I'm saying that it's more suited for a paragon path.

In combat I would just let them stay in beats form it is after all a very attractive option, and not becouse it grants a lot of bonuses more so that it is difrent and makes you feal special.

Valid. I've changed it so now the beast form essentially grants the second Major feature of the race. Which means I might have to bump the serpent's bonus up. Is ongoing damage (save ends, of course) overpowered as a racial feature?

Perhaps add in : You also gain resist 5 of your chosen type untillt he end of your next turn.  This represent that they can continue to absorb a little after the initial amount but can still be overwhelmed. anything more then this and your almost for sure going to overpower it

Even adding the resist 5 could be bourding overpowered.

Perhaps add a racial feat for improving the energy absorbtion,  aSingle feat could add resist 5 of the chosen energy type

A aditional lvl could rais it by 1/2 lvl the second feat being a paragon feat.

I changed Elemental Absorption, you may wanna look at the new version. But I'm now realizing that it may be a little much. Flat out immunity along with some thp is probably way overpowered. I may just grant some resistance along with the regen, as you suggested. Or I could give them a bonus to damage as rampant suggested earlier. I'm not entirely sure. 
I feel the need to point out the most important thing you missed.

What do they look like?
I was gonna save the physical qualities until after I get them mechanically worked out. If you must know, outwardly, they look almost just like humans. The main difference is that Miakkmar always have black hair and silver eyes. When their beast form has manifested, their hair gets some silver streaks in it. Their beast form typically manifests when they are about 13 years old, but it varies. Some have even manifested a beast form as early as five years old during an extreme emotional upheaval. A male's hair is short and rigid, giving it a somewhat spiky look. The females leave their longer hair free and wild. Their facial features tend to take on small characteristics of their beast form. Otherwise their faces are rather sharp and angular, much like an elf's. Just before they transform, their skin turns black with silver swirling markings. Their beast form's coloring, whether is has fur, feathers, or scales, is always black with the same silver markings. Is that enough for now?
So you have a choice of 4 or so forms, a defining feature of your race, including your second major feature... and only one of those choices is compatible with ranged weapon users... not good.

The beast form issue is best solved by a less is more approach instead of a long winded explanation of how their stats don't change, just say what actually changes.

My suggestion would be to create a rotating feature. In beast form your feature is X, when humanoid your feature is Y. That way you don't have to penalize the beast form to keep it from being OP, and there's a reason to switch back and forth. 
So you have a choice of 4 or so forms, a defining feature of your race, including your second major feature... and only one of those choices is compatible with ranged weapon users... not good.

I cannot stress enough that I'm still working on more beast forms. I'm thinking two more and they'll both be ranged; I'm just trying to come up with more beasts that could have a ranged attack. I'm thinking of some sort of winged beast with heavy sharp feathers that it kinda shoots off when it flaps them in a specific way for one of them. Note that the heavy feathers would render them unable to fly. I would just need to name it. How does Daggerwing sound?

The beast form issue is best solved by a less is more approach instead of a long winded explanation of how their stats don't change, just say what actually changes.

Ok, but I will have to give a long winded explanation of their stats don't change at least once. But I get what you're saying now.

My suggestion would be to create a rotating feature. In beast form your feature is X, when humanoid your feature is Y. That way you don't have to penalize the beast form to keep it from being OP, and there's a reason to switch back and forth. 

Valid. I'll come up with something. Any suggestions?
Elemental Absorption: After an extended rest choose Cold, Fire, or Lightning. When you are hit by an attack of that type instead of taking damage gain temporary hit points equal to half the damage that attack would have dealt.

This is far too overpowered. This grants immunity to a damage type, which is overpowered on its own, and a lot of temporary HP on top of that.
What was wrong with the regen until end of next turn? That seemed fine to me. Sure, you only got it once, but that's what kept it balanced.

Miasma Eruption:
You have the Miasma Eruption power.

You focus the energy that runs through your veins at one point and release it in a violent explosion.
Hit: 1d8 + chosen ability modifier damage and the target is knocked prone.
Level 11: 2d8 + chosen ability modifier damage.
Level 21: 3d8 + chosen ability modifier damage.

I worry that the damage here is too high. I'd decrease it to 1d6 or maybe even 1d4 to be on the safe side. Knocking prone is pretty nice.

[spoiler=Beast Forms]

Beast Form (Bear)Miakkmar Racial Power
You let loose a feral cry as your form twists and contorts. Black and silver fire erupts from your body in a bright flash. When the fire fades a huge angry bear stands in your place.
At-Will Polymorph
Minor Action - Personal
Your claws count as a weapon with the same properties and enchantments as any melee weapon you were holding when you changed to beast form. If you weren't holding any weapons when you changed into beast form your claws count as a heavy blade with a +2 proficiency bonus, 1d8 damage, and the high crit property. While in this form if an attack forces you to move -- i.e. a push, pull, or slide -- you can reduce that movement by 1 square.

Beast Form (Cat)Miakkmar Racial Power
You let loose a feral cry as your form twists and contorts. Black and silver fire erupts from your body in a bright flash. In your place stands a huge, angry cat.
At-Will Polymorph
Minor Action - Personal
    Your claws count as a weapon with the same properties and enchantments as any melee weapon you were holding when you changed to beast form. If you weren't holding any weapons when you changed into beast form your claws count as a light blade with a +3 proficiency bonus, 1d6 damage. While in this form enemies grant combat advantage to you as long as no other creatures are adjacent to it.

Beast Form (Serpent)Miakkmar Racial Power
You let loose a feral cry as your form twists and contorts. Black and silver fire erupts from your body in a bright flash. When the fire fades a huge angry serpent sits coiled in your place.
At-Will Polymorph
Minor Action - Personal
Your venom spit counts as a weapon with the same properties and enchantments as any ranged weapon you were holding when you changed to beast form. If you weren't holding any weapons when you changed into beast form your venom spit counts as a ranged weapon with a +3 proficiency bonus, 1d6 damage, a range of 6/12 and the light thrown property. While in this form you do not grant combat advantage while squeezing.

Beast Form (Wolf)Miakkmar Racial Power
You let loose a feral cry as your form twists and contorts. Black and silver fire erupts from your body in a bright flash. When the fire fades a huge, angry wolf stands in your place.
At-Will Polymorph
Minor Action - Personal
Your bite counts as a weapon with the same properties and enchantments as any melee weapon you were holding when you changed to beast form. If you weren't holding any weapons when you changed into beast form your bite counts as a light blade with a +3 proficiency bonus and 1d6 damage. While in this form you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls when attacking creatures that are prone. This bonus increases to +3 at level 11 and to +4 at level 21.

[/sblock]

Honestly, I think that this is all just too complicated. The majority of these rules basically amount to "nothing changes". Plus, this is supposed to be a flavor feature, but you've tied have of the race's benefits to its alternate form, not that it needed these additional benefits anyway given the overpoweredness of its energy absorption. Plus, I have to say that the benefit that the cat gets seems rather strong anyway, and the benefit that the bear gets was just ripped from the Dwarf. I'm sure that you could come up with more original racial features and cut down on the unnecessary amount of text in these powers.

Also, I don't know why this hasn't been brought up, but why don't these things have the Shapechanger keyword?

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
This is far too overpowered. This grants immunity to a damage type, which is overpowered on its own, and a lot of temporary HP on top of that.
What was wrong with the regen until end of next turn? That seemed fine to me. Sure, you only got it once, but that's what kept it balanced.

I completely agree, which is why I'll be changing it back, maybe with a tiny bit of resistance thrown in.

I worry that the damage here is too high. I'd decrease it to 1d6 or maybe even 1d4 to be on the safe side. Knocking prone is pretty nice.

Ok, I'll bump it down to 1d6.

Honestly, I think that this is all just too complicated. The majority of these rules basically amount to "nothing changes". Plus, this is supposed to be a flavor feature, but you've tied have of the race's benefits to its alternate form, not that it needed these additional benefits anyway given the overpoweredness of its energy absorption. Plus, I have to say that the benefit that the cat gets seems rather strong anyway, and the benefit that the bear gets was just ripped from the Dwarf. I'm sure that you could come up with more original racial features and cut down on the unnecessary amount of text in these powers.

It originally was just gonna be flavor. Not entirely sure what happened, but it did, and this is where we are. Plus, it opens up some interesting ideas for paragon paths. You think the cat's benefit is too strong? I thought that racial features were about the same in terms of power as heroic tier feats. And, yes, I know the bear's was ripped straight from the dwarf. Stargazer suggested it, and I was feeling too lazy to come up with anything else. I'll think of something more original now.

Also, I don't know why this hasn't been brought up, but why don't these things have the Shapechanger keyword?

Because I forgot there was one. I'll add it in.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the wordiness on the beast form power is because it's essentially just taken from the Wild Shape Druid feature. I felt that Wild Shape accurately described how the beast form should work.
After posting my original ideas about beats forms I thought of a better way to handle the same effetc but will right it up later.

The reason only 1 ranged form was given is if you notice each form thus far addresses a difrent class type, The cat for rouges and sneaky type, the bear was ment for Leaders, Was intended to be expanded so it helped leader classes out a little.

The wolf was for melee fighters focused more on in your face tactics then the cats sneaky strike tactics.

My orginal intent was to have a beast form to cover the varius class types so that the race could have distinctive feal for the difrent beast forms yet not pighole the race to any one class.

Again I have thought of better wordings for this but will post that tomarrow when I can see the screan better lol.

Admittedly I latched onto the beast form aspect of the race more then anything but then thats the part that screamed to me and made me realy wanna see a playable race made out of it, I think my players would absalutaly love to try a game where there race had a interesting mechanic built into it such as beast forms.

Given my way I would all but ignore the elemental part leaving it with the absorption  but tring my best to not compleatly focus my aid to the features I like the most

Anyhows tomarrow I will find some time to write up a better working beats form and see what peopel think about it as a viable option.
Huh. I always thought of the bear as more defender-y. It's not like its a solid meat wall or anything, but I do see your point in its leaderness. Yes I thought that the cat catered to the rogues and other sneaky types. Part of why I basically gave it Cunning Sneak as a race feature. Although, I may have to come up with something else for the sake of originality. The benefit I gave to the wolf based on how I envision a wolf kills its prey: by tearing its throat out.

My thought was that wolves like to take out a persons legs while the other pack members distract it. but your right once they get there target down they do definalty pounce.

So snake for Ranged attackers, impliment users could also get some love with this beast form.

Bear for leaders and defenders

Wolf for Melee fighters and rouge types

Cats for rouge types and dex fighter types

the other idea I had you more or less already are using now

You let loose a feral cry as your form twists and contorts. Black and silver fire erupts from your body in a bright flash. When the fire fades a huge, angry beast stands in your place.
At-Will Polymorph
Minor Action - Personal
Effect: You change from your humanoid form to beast form or vice versa. Your equipment becomes part of your beast form, but you drop anything you are holding, except implements and weapons you can use. You continue to gain the benefits of the equipment you wear. You can use the properties and the powers of implements as well as magic items that you wear, but not the properties or the powers of weapons or the powers of wondrous items. While equipment is part of your beast form, it cannot be removed, and anything in a container that is part of your beast form is inaccessible.
Special: Choose a specific Beast Form from the list below. This choice remains throughout your character's life.

Beasts

Choose one beast, while in beast form you benifit from the traits listed for that beast.
Attacks made in beast form use the same weapon properties of whatever weapon you were holding, Ranged weapon attacks take the form of a spit/breath weapon. Claws or bite is only usable if you had a melee weapon equiped when you transformed. Spit/breath attacks may only be used if you had a ranged weapon equiped when you changed form.

Bear:
 While in this form if an attack forces you to move -- +1 damaged to marked targets or healing abiliteis and effects heal 1 aditional HP

Cat: While in this form enemies grant combat advantage to you as long as no other creatures are adjacent to it.

Wolf:  While in this form you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls when attacking creatures that you flank.

Daggerwing:
 While in this form you do not take damage from falling and you always land on your feet, unless you are immobilized, petrified, stunned, unconscious, or otherwise unable to move.

Serpent: While in this form you you can Shift or crawl your speed.

beasts section could still use some love but more or less we are on the same though proccess of how to simplyfy the looks. over all with a few more feats and soem more love to beast forms looks and powers/feats for beast forms. over all I think you have a good to go race.

and working on it gave me some good ideas for other prodjects to

Bear: While in this form if an attack forces you to move -- +1 damaged to marked targets or healing abiliteis and effects heal 1 aditional HP

What do you mean here? Was it just a copy & paste error, or do you really mean for the bonus to only apply after an attack has forced you to move?

Wolf:  While in this form you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls when attacking creatures that you flank.

Ok, I love what you did here. It fits well with the wolf's pack fighting flavor. Using it.

Serpent: While in this form you you can Shift or crawl your speed.

At this point, I feel like I'm just taking ideas from you. Shifting your speed, however, does seem a little overpowered for a racial feature.

I still want the beasts to have their natural weapons, however. How weird would that be if you were a bear that didn't really know how to use your claws and such?

"Wait, you mean I don't get a proficiency bonus with my claws, because they're an improvised weapon?"

I don't picture that going over well. Maybe I'll just give them all a universal proficiency and weapon damage and add other effects with feats.
Bear:  +1 damaged to marked targets OR healing abiliteis and effects heal 1 aditional HP

yea was a copy past glitch, it added text that didn't show when I was typing it lol

Was more the case that there is no real reason for them to use claws or bite if they don't use a weapon. Basicaly if they are unarmed then they probably don't have any weapon attacks eather so they would be making basic melee attacks and probably don't have the correct ability modifiers to have much luck there eather.  the idea was to allow any clas to choose any beats form even though some beats work better with some classes.

You could instead I guess say that unarmed attacks in beast form are +3 1D6 claws, or +2 1d8 bite +3 1d6 spit no weapon keyword since it suposed to represent unarmed strikes.

though again if they have no melee weapon then they probably don't use them eather in which case they would be making basic melee attacks that would probably never hit. with the ability to use your impliment attacks and other class attacks then the attacks from the beast form is left to more fluff with a small bonus then anything else

((srry if this post was hard to read is 4AM so am a touch tired))

MIakkar

Ability Scores:
 +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity or +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Nature
Shapechanger: You are a shapechanger; you can change into a beast. As such, you are subject to effects and conditions that affect shapechangers.
Beast Form: See the explanation below.
Elemental Absorption: After an extended rest choose Cold, Fire, or Lightning. When you take damage from that type you gain regeneration 5 + 1/2 your level.
Miasma Eruption: You have the Miasma Eruption power.

Encounter  Cold, Fire, or Lightning
Hit: 1d6 + chosen ability modifier damage and the target is knocked prone.

At-Will  Polymorph
Minor Action - Personal
Effect:  You take on the form of a wild animal. In this form you loose your elemental absorption ability, and gain the ability detailed under the specific beast form.

Bear: While in this form all allies that are adjacent to you gain a +1 bonus to saving throws. This bonus increases to +2 at level 11 and to +3 at level 21.

Cat: While in this form enemies grant combat advantage to you as long as no other creatures are adjacent to it.

Wolf: While in this form you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls when attacking creatures that you flank. This bonus increases to +2 at level 11 and to +3 at level 21.

Daggerwing:  While in this form you do not take damage from falling and you always land on your feet, unless you are immobilized, petrified, stunned, unconscious, or otherwise unable to move.

Serpent:  While in this form you can crawl and squeeze your speed.

the specific beast form abilities may need some work, and I 'd really like a feature other than E-absorb in their human form so I can switch that out instead 
I difrent way to handle impliment users and melee users though still included forms for ranged weapon users, this leaves impliment users to use miasma ability and weapon users to beast form.

Perhaps

You gain eather the beast form or miasma explosion power at first level.

Hit: chosen ability modifier damage and the target is Pushed 1
   You may use this power as a immidiate reaction when you take damage of the chosen elemental type. Using the power in this way does not expend the power and may be used even if you already used Miasma explosion this encounter

At-Will Polymorph
Minor Action - Personal
Effect: Your equipment becomes part of your beast form, but you drop anything you are holding, except implements and weapons you can use. You continue to gain the benefits of the equipment you wear. You can use the properties and the powers of implements as well as magic items that you wear, Your melee weapons become you claws and bite retaining the same properties and stats. While equipment is part of your beast form, it cannot be removed, and anything in a container that is part of your beast form is inaccessible.
Special:  You may end this effect as a minor action. Choose a specific Beast Form from the list below. This choice remains throughout your character's life.

Beasts
Choose one beast, while in beast form you benifit from the traits listed for that beast.

Bear:
  All allies that are adjacent to you gain a +1 bonus to saving throws. This bonus increases to +2 at level 11 and to +3 at level 21

Cat:
  enemies grant combat advantage to you as long as no other creatures are adjacent to it.

Wolf:  you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls when attacking creatures that you flank. This bonus increases to +2 at level 11 and to +3 at level 21.

Daggerwing: You take no damage from falling, Also if  you had a ranged weapon equiped when you took this form you gain a Razor feather attack; This attack uses your ranged weapon stats and ammunition is absorbed into the feather before you launch it gaining any and all qulities the ammunition had. Ammunition used in this way is expended. Razor feather attacks do not provoke attacks of oportunity when used in melee combat

Serpent: While in this form you you can Shift or stand from prone as a minor action or crawl your spead as a move action. if you were holding a ranged weapon when you assumed this form then you gain a spit attack that uses your ranged weapon stats. damage done in this way do your chosen element type of damage. Spit attacks do not use up your amunition.

At-Will  Polymorph
Minor Action - Personal
Effect:  You take on the form of a wild animal. In this form you loose your elemental absorption ability, and gain the ability detailed under the specific beast form.

Yeah, they're not gonna lose elemental absorption for being a beast. That affects them whether or not they're in beast form.

Serpent:  While in this form you can crawl and squeeze your speed.

Ah, I hadn't thought of full speed squeezing, although it does make sense. Good job there, I'll add it.

the specific beast form abilities may need some work, and I 'd really like a feature other than E-absorb in their human form so I can switch that out instead

Yeah, I know some of the abilities may need work. I think the bear's and the serpent's specifically. I want to rework the bear's so that it affects it rather than only allies, but I want the bear to be kind of themed as a protector. Hmm... I'll try to figure something out. The serpent's ability seems just a little weak because of how situational it is. I have never once had to squeeze in a single game, and crawling? Meh. I've never seen that either. So what I'm thinking is to add some ongoing damage randomly. Something like roll a d6 when you attack, and, depending on the result, the target takes some ongoing damage. Would that be overpowered or too complicated? Oh, and I am trying to come up with something that only affects their humanoid form, but the only thing I can think of right now is a +5 to bluff checks to pass as human. Not only is that boring, but it's ripped straight from the Vryloka.
You gain eather the beast form or miasma explosion power at first level.

Nope, they get both. End of story.

Daggerwing: You take no damage from falling, Also if  you had a ranged weapon equiped when you took this form you gain a Razor feather attack; This attack uses your ranged weapon stats and ammunition is absorbed into the feather before you launch it gaining any and all qulities the ammunition had. Ammunition used in this way is expended. Razor feather attacks do not provoke attacks of oportunity when used in melee combat

Serpent: While in this form you you can Shift or stand from prone as a minor action or crawl your spead as a move action. if you were holding a ranged weapon when you assumed this form then you gain a spit attack that uses your ranged weapon stats. damage done in this way do your chosen element type of damage. Spit attacks do not use up your amunition.

Though I don't quite agree with this, you did address an important issue: what to do with ammunition, specifically enchanted ammunition. So I propose that a ranged attack using your ranged beast's natural ammunition does not expend ammunition, UNLESS that ammunition is enchanted, in which case the enchantment is transferred to their natural ammunition. The best part about that is that it fits with the energy absorption fluff perfectly.
Update! I added a new ranged beast, the spider. Not quite sure how it's ranged. Probably shoots some acid webs or something like that, like in The Mist (the book not the movie). Anywho, I might also change it's benefit, because that may be just slightly overpowered. I dunno. Exactly how good is spiderclimb? I also added a new feat. As of now, I'm gonna start trying to come up with a racial paragon path. Or several, with all the beast forms and whatnot. Anyways, check the new stuff out, and, as always, feedback is appreciated.
Sign In to post comments