06/28/2011 SF: "Angelic Resolution"

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
But what if we could make any permanent indestructible?

Indestructibility?
If you bring two of them out at once (Genesis Wave or something like that) they can shield each other (-:
Good preview Adam!

-Abe
A cool card that I just don't think i'd use over a sun titan or something else. But I guess they had to take the indestructable from Knight Exemplar and slap it onto something white. I would have perfered the effect on something lower costing, but the flavor of a guardian angel is there I guess.

Pass.
I really like the art.
I've been playing (with some gaps) since the late 90's. Land Destruction can be fun! I really don't get the Command Tower backlash.
RE the poll topic: Blue. Some can match its power, but none its versatility.
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
My favorite colors are green and black.  Red and white are both too straightforward and blue is too esoteric for my tastes.  But green and black both have clarity of purpose and the willingness to use anything that's available to them to achieve it.  Red and white have the clarity, but insist on winning on their own terms.  Blue is more tactical than all the other colors combined, but has this sense of hauteur; like fighting on the same terms as an opponent is inherently beneath it.

Anyway, fun card in limited; not too bomby, not too frustrating, but still plenty bomby and frustrating when played right.  Not really all that exciting in casual, and utter crap in constructed.
"I don't have a favorite color". If land was a color, it would be that. Land makes or breaks your deck, bottom line. The flexibility of non-basic land is amazing, and a big part of the puzzle in building your deck and it being successful.

So land is my final answer!
I took a quiz a couple of years ago, and it said I was Red.  At that time my favorite deck ran Forced Fruition as a win condition.  Picking a favorite color is hard, because over the years my tastes have changed, and the color wheel has been re-defined.  I chose Blue in the poll, as it's probably my favorite color by just a smidge.  I love FF, Control Magic, Clone.  But I must say that I love Black's reanimation (frequently picking up non-black creatures, though) and Red's crazy spells (Warp World, Radiate).  Green is usually too straight forward for my tastes, and playing Path into Armageddon is only fun for me (especially with Borderposts, obv.).

But at the end of the day, I'd probably be happy playing with any color deck as long as I was playing with good friends.
Although some might consider that I think White is my favorite color, that's not really true. Overall, my favorite colors have tended to be the WUB wedge, and I tend to have a love also for the UG combination. While I may build out of one color for speed of construction, really my love tends to be multicolored cards. Otherwise, I tend to play a lot of different colors, depending on what I feel like that week.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Although some might consider that I think White is my favorite color, that's not really true. Overall, my favorite colors have tended to be the WUB wedge, and I tend to have a love also for the UG combination. While I may build out of one color for speed of construction, really my love tends to be multicolored cards. Otherwise, I tend to play a lot of different colors, depending on what I feel like that week.

The term "wedge" refers to a color and its two enemy colors.  A triple consisting of a color and its two allied colors, such as WUB, is an arc.
I feel obliged to point out that Ghostway and Clone don't work terribly well together.  When Ghostway wears off, and Clone comes back, it won't be able to copy any of your other creatures that are coming back at the same time.  You won't be able to copy your own Frost Titan - hopefully your opponent has something good to make!
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Favorite color? I... I can't choose! I love all of them! Although, if I were colored, I would be UW. Furthermore, My favorite combinations are WRB and RUG, followed by RWU and GBU. But really, I love all of them.
I dont have a single favourite color, but my favourite Shard is Naya - I naturally gravitate towards cards. I also have the odd "artifact day", where I go , maybe even .

My trade binder is full of Black and Blue cards, with very little in the other colors (unless its something I have 5 copies of).

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
I never find myself dabbling into a single color for too long because it gets boring after a while (not to mention my friends may capitalize on that and start creating decks to beat me with). My competetive decks aside, I have 5 mono-colored casual decks I use in a semi-random sequence, semi-random being that I won't use a color twice in a row. A soldier deck, A Burn Deck, Evasive/frustration deck (I call it frustration not because its my best deck, but it annoys my friends a lot and drags on games longer than they should be), Infect Mana accel, And a Vampire deck.

What colors they are should be easy to work out
Favorite Colour: None. I love the delight in using each to its potential, and I love the beauty of seeing all five colours working in harmony together for an awe-inspiring effect [or even just a little giggle-making effect]. I'm never happier than when I can use all five colours together for a better, and more fun, game for myself [and hopefully my shenanigans cause much more fun for allies and opponents too!]
Level 1 Judge. Feel free to call me out on any errors. I'm only human, and am working to improve.
My favorite color is all of them at once. I have to fight the urge to make decks around using all five colors, Especially with 5 color cycles. ^.^
My favorite color in Magic is green.  I like using big creatures and throwing out lands.  However, green doesn't do very well in constructed.  That honor usually goes to blue.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Concerning the poll. I acctually love using all 5 colors. I have three deck that preform quite well. Of course they have to be green heavy so i can pull out land, but once i get the land out(using Harrow) then I can make all colors shine. 
but if i have to pick a single color it would be white. i love the vigilante justice feel of it.
The term "wedge" refers to a color and its two enemy colors.  A triple consisting of a color and its two allied colors, such as WUB, is an arc.

Given that as far as I can tell, they invented these trems two weeks ago, I don't give a blank. It still Trivial Pursuit to me. Little Wedgies in a Pie works for me.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I had a very difficult time deciding my favorite color.  I am a Timmy at heart (with a few Johnny tendencies to round me out) and I know I absolutely love dropping Green's ridiculously huge creatures.  I have two playsets of doubling season because it's just that awesome and once dropped a 124/124 Ulasht, the Hate Seed off of a pair of them, but alas Green is not to be. 

For I am in love with Dragons.  For that reason and that reason alone, I consider Red to be my favorite color.  Ancient creatures of vast power (granted not nearly as vast as green is capable of, but certainly large enough) and the gift of flight.  Their rage belies the wisdom that their long lives have granted them.  They posess the power to smite those who would thwart them, and the unbridled will to use it.

To be honest, a mixture of Red and Green is the way to go.  I also tend to dabble in Black a little for its recursion powers when I go that route though, as my large dragons and hydras tend to come pre-packaged with bullseyes painted on them for removal from everyone else at the table.

That's me in a nutshell.

Burninate it all.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I had to say that "I don't have a favorite color," because my favorite color is colorless. Artifacts, man. That's where I have the most fun. SoM/MB/NP was a perfectly-timed block for me, considering I only started collecting one year ago. All of my favorite decks are built around artifacts, and I only splash colors for what they can bring to the table. If I was forced to choose a color, though, it would probably be blue, but only for what it can do for artifacts. Cards like the [C=Trinket Mage]Trinket[/C] and [C=Treasure Mage]Treasure[/C] mages, [C]Fabricate[/C], and the Tezzerets are the blues I like best.

Like many of you, I can't build and play a one color deck; I prefer three colors. My go to colors are WRU. I love having options and these are the colors that give me the options I like to have.

If I had to pick a favorite color, it would be Blue, but I couldn't EVER play a mono-blue deck. I just couldn't. Mono-blue decks are just weak and not at all how I like to play. I'd pick White for a single-colored deck, Blue and Red for a two-colored deck, and WRU for a three-colored deck (as mentioned).

I tend to play a lot of different colors, depending on what I feel like that week.

I chose that I didn't have one. See that quote right there? That is exactly how I feel. Now, to be honest, I have trouble choosing a favorite of anything. I don't have a favorite food; I don't have a favorite animal; I don't have a favorite real-life color, and I don't have a favorite magic color. One of my favorite parts of this game is the pure versatility. The game has different colors to match any possible mood, and the colors themselves have a versatility that's already astounding.

I actually disliked the taste of basically every pie I've ever tasted. I guess I'm strange that way, most really like pie. Why is that even related? Well, the color pie is one of two exceptions (there is this pie I had that was like all chocolate and whipped cream and stuff and verging on not being a pie). It has flavor unlike anything else, and I couldn't love it more. Want some big creatures? You don't have to look very far; they're in every color one place or another. Want some devastating sorceries? Every color has'em. Need to hate your opponent out? Do it, there are plenty of ways.

The beauty is that each color does it differently. Yeah, blue might have "better" instants and green might have "better" creatures. Red is aggro burn, black is discard removal, and white life gaining angels. That's good, there's some order to this madness. But can blue go aggro? Sure! Can you make mono-red combo deck? Of course!

Look, it may seem I've contradicted myself, like, ten times. You know what, I probably did. But did it ever seem like I said something that was wrong? Uh, don't answer that. This is my rant. Shut up.

The reason I don't have a favorite color is because I wouldn't even know where to start! Well, that's the biggest reason. But, did you notice that on the poll there was an option to not have a favorite? There had better be one! One of the greatest beauties of magic is that there is no need to choose favorites. I don't have to choose between red and white, because I can play both! Or one at a time! Or neither! And it's not a zero sum game. You can have your cake and eat it too (or pie, if you will).

What I'm trying to say is that there are so many options, but they're all good ones. Come on, name me one color combination or usage that's "wrong." Try. Really, I want you to try your hardest. What'd you come up with? That was rhetorical again, still my rant. Wow, and so many times it seemed I was about to finish too. Alright, alright, almost done.

I don't have a favorite color, and that is one of my favorite parts of magic. I know most of you won't read any or all of this, so I bolded that because that's what I want people to read, if nothing else. Yeah, so magic is versatile and awesome, and I have no favorite color. There. Done. Read other people's comments now.

Edited in P.S.
Look at how many different answers are on this page. Look at them! It only proves my point. Look, there's even one that says colorless! That's pure win. 

Momus, the Greek god of sarcasm

Pray to him.

This is perhaps my favorite art for an angel card ever. Aleksi Briclot, congratulations.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Poll didn't work again, but I chose green (even though my sig has blue-white). I play UW better, but I prefer the creatures and overall feel of green. 

That said, this quote says it even better: 

"I don't have a favorite color". If land was a color, it would be that. Land makes or breaks your deck, bottom line. The flexibility of non-basic land is amazing, and a big part of the puzzle in building your deck and it being successful.

So land is my final answer!

I truly wish there were consistent and viable ways of running decks with 30-50 (or even 60!) lands. That would just make my millenium.

As for the angel, I love angels anyways, and I have an odd penchant for pulling Clones from my core set packs I pop. I smell a nice little U/W angel/control deck coming. Now what for a wincon...? 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Voted no favorite color. I'm one of those that likes my artifacts. Artifacts + 4 to 12 cards of a color = one of my favorite decks. Guess it's obvious I don't play modern formats. Legacy for me, please.
Voted no favorite color. I'm one of those that likes my artifacts. Artifacts + 4 to 12 cards of a color = one of my favorite decks. Guess it's obvious I don't play modern formats. Legacy for me, please.

Pfft. I guess you haven't played with the SOM block.

I've built monocolored decks in drafts with SOM and won. Just because there were so many colorless cards.
I think my real answer to the color question is "not black". Golgari is the only combo/flavor I like playing it in. Simic/Izzet/green/red/Naya/Bant all great. Blue, White, Jund, Azorious, Boros kinda interestingly don't do it for me.
My favorite color is green.  Mana ramp, giant creatures, and squirrels.  All my favorite decks use green, and my all time favorite deck is my mono green Squirrel deck.  Surprisingly, I can't seem to mix blue and green very well.  Blue is my least favorite color. 
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
My favorite color is green.  Mana ramp, giant creatures, and squirrels.  All my favorite decks use green, and my all time favorite deck is my mono green Squirrel deck.  Surprisingly, I can't seem to mix blue and green very well.

Not really, they're very alike. They're the colors of creations, of growth and development. They're the least destructive colors. Because they're so similar, they don't add a lot to each other when combined. 

Add a support color like black or white, now then you're talking about a solid combination.
My favorite color is green.  Mana ramp, giant creatures, and squirrels.  All my favorite decks use green, and my all time favorite deck is my mono green Squirrel deck.  Surprisingly, I can't seem to mix blue and green very well.

Not really, they're very alike. They're the colors of creations, of growth and development. They're the least destructive colors. Because they're so similar, they don't add a lot to each other when combined. 

Add a support color like black or white, now then you're talking about a solid combination.

Well, as I've written many times before, green only tends towards blue, if R&D concentrates on the calm side of green, shifting the color wheel more towards the natural colors of the light (where green and blue are next to each other). Especially the essential land-search theme is on a clear contrast towards the Magic color pie, making green a "combat avoiding", control-seeking color. More lands mean more powerful spells, means more control. The cost you have to pay is speed.

So putting green & blue together can be a very potent combination... but only if you see blue for more than just counterspells.

@ poll:
I don't have a favorite color and I am - in contrary to the general philosopy of R&D - focussed on monocolored, non-artifact decks. Basically, I seek to experience a certain psychology or gameplay and I wish R&D would truly focus on that - instead of "wedge", etc. I've never played a white deck that fulfilled my hope of being a peaceful, diplomatic and constructive color. I've never played a mono-blue deck that fulfilled my opinion of an intelligent, subtle and controlling color since countering any spell hardly gets into this category. I've never played a black deck that felt like a dormant power that seeks world control and the control of life itself. And I've never played a green deck that truly makes me feel green in some other way than just calling for stampeding rhinos.

Red tends to be the color that stands outside this rule, but for me, red is more than just destruction beyond anything else. If you know the film "into the wild", you get an idea of how red could also be.

- Sorcery = If you have no cards in your hand and there are no creatures on the battlefield, you win the game. "BE free"

- Instant = Draw 3 cards and gain 7 life. At the beginning of your next turn, discard all cards in your hand and you lose 9 life. "... how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong"

PS:
I always wonder, why some people believe blue to be the "best" color. Whenever I look at the top-8 decklists, I only see blue added as a side-color for some counterspells or an overpowered planeswalker. Then I usually ask myself if MaRo is satisfied with these decklists and thinks... "well, we print 40 cards in blue (per set) and the only cards to see some serious play are Mana Leak and co..."
Sign In to post comments