Invisibility Rules

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've got a question involving combat when you can't see. Lets say a fighter is fighting a drow and the fighter and the drow are both within a cloud of darkness, which the drow can see in but no one else can. Lets say the cloud envelopes a large area, say a 4X4 area, and the fighter and the drow each only occupy one square. Lets say a companion of the fighter (a cleric) is not in the cloud of darkness and can't see the fighter or the drow. If the cleric wants to do a ranged burst attack to try to hit the drow, is he able to target any square he wants to even though he can't see the square? And if the attack gives a secondary bonus to another target player, is the cleric able to give the bonus to the fighter if the cleric doesn't know where the fighter is? Lastly, is the fighter able to walk around wherever he wants in the cloud of darkness and try to place himself in a flanking position with another ally even if him and his ally can't see? I know they wouldn't get the flanking bonus but could they put themselves into flanking positions? 
Yes, to all.

Not being able to see doesn't stop you knowing where you are, and where all the other combatants, terrain hazards etc etc are (with the sole exception of them being Hidden, which the Drow could well be).  Not being able to see things grants only concealment, not cover, and that doesn't affect bursts.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
> a ranged burst attack

There are ranged attacks and area burst attacks, but no ranged burst attacks.

A ranged attack would take the usual penalty for attacking a target with total concealment. An area burst attack is not affected by that.
> a ranged burst attack There are ranged attacks and area burst attacks, but no ranged burst attacks. A ranged attack would take the usual penalty for attacking a target with total concealment. An area burst attack is not affected by that.

There are attacks that are say, burst 1 w/in 10 squares that's what Gumdrop is probably meaning.
> a ranged burst attack There are ranged attacks and area burst attacks, but no ranged burst attacks. A ranged attack would take the usual penalty for attacking a target with total concealment. An area burst attack is not affected by that.

There are attacks that are say, burst 1 w/in 10 squares that's what Gumdrop is probably meaning.

Yes, those are Area Burst attacks. 
It might be waht he means, but he still should get his terminology right. If they don't even bother getting the terms right, it makes (at least) me think that this is someone who has not even bothered to read the books to try and answer their qiestion first, and to me if you just post instead of trying to figure it out yourself, or don't even bother to read the rules in the first place you do not deserve to get your quesiton answered. 

I back spaceinvader. 

The cleric not being able to see the battle does not necessarily mean he cannot resonably predict where the combatants are within the battle cloud. Darkness does not mean "no sound" either. 
DCI/RPGA# 7300-265-843
Just be wary of powers which say "Target: each enemy in burst you can see" because those targets in the cloud cannot be seen and that power would fail.
I've got a question involving combat when you can't see. Lets say a fighter is fighting a drow and the fighter and the drow are both within a cloud of darkness, which the drow can see in but no one else can. Lets say the cloud envelopes a large area, say a 4X4 area, and the fighter and the drow each only occupy one square. Lets say a companion of the fighter (a cleric) is not in the cloud of darkness and can't see the fighter or the drow. If the cleric wants to do a ranged burst attack to try to hit the drow, is he able to target any square he wants to even though he can't see the square? And if the attack gives a secondary bonus to another target player, is the cleric able to give the bonus to the fighter if the cleric doesn't know where the fighter is? Lastly, is the fighter able to walk around wherever he wants in the cloud of darkness and try to place himself in a flanking position with another ally even if him and his ally can't see? I know they wouldn't get the flanking bonus but could they put themselves into flanking positions? 

I don't think you can flank if you cannot see (blind).
I know they wouldn't get the flanking bonus but could they put themselves into flanking positions? 

Did you actually read the post you were replying to?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I know they wouldn't get the flanking bonus but could they put themselves into flanking positions? 

Yes I did....

I assume the OP meant that they could get into flanking positions so that others could flank...what else could he possibly mean by that question? 
I've got a question involving combat when you can't see. Lets say a fighter is fighting a drow and the fighter and the drow are both within a cloud of darkness, which the drow can see in but no one else can. Lets say the cloud envelopes a large area, say a 4X4 area, and the fighter and the drow each only occupy one square. Lets say a companion of the fighter (a cleric) is not in the cloud of darkness and can't see the fighter or the drow. If the cleric wants to do a ranged burst attack to try to hit the drow, is he able to target any square he wants to even though he can't see the square?

Yes.  He has line of effect to the square.

And if the attack gives a secondary bonus to another target player, is the cleric able to give the bonus to the fighter if the cleric doesn't know where the fighter is?

Unless there's some phrasing about 'an ally you can see,' probably.  Remember, 4e is exception-based, so wording often matters.  Many warlord features and some powers have requirements about being able to see or hear an ally, or vice-versa, I can't recall a Cleric power, off-hand, with such a requirement.

Similarly, for instance, fighter close burst 1 powers tend to say things like 'target: each enemy in burst you can see,' to make them worthless in this sort of situation, while most caster bursts and blasts affect creatures or affect allies, but rarely require line of sight. 

Lastly, is the fighter able to walk around wherever he wants in the cloud of darkness and try to place himself in a flanking position with another ally even if him and his ally can't see? I know they wouldn't get the flanking bonus but could they put themselves into flanking positions? 

Concealment doesn't affect movement, so he could move into whatever square he wanted.  Moving into a square relative to an enemy he can't see would require knowing what square that enemy was in - that is, the enemy not be using stealth, or failing to beat his passive perception.  Flanking an enemy you can't see, as you know, has no 'flanking' effects, but, yes, if they both knew where the drow was (it's not 'hidden' via stealth on top of total concealment), they could place themselves on opposite sides of it.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Yes I did....

I assume the OP meant that they could get into flanking positions so that others could flank...what else could he possibly mean by that question? 

Can they get in position so that once the effect wears off/get dispelled they immediatly have flanking???
Seems more likely when you notice the part of the post that thespaceinvader bolded. 

Indeed.  I assumed he meant 'move into position so when the cloud of darkness disappears, the drow is trapped in flank.