Darths and Droids

Many of you will have seen this. Likely many more of you won't have. This terrifically fun webcomic takes the Prequel series and plays it out like regular-folk RPG sessions (a little different from the movies). Here's Episode One (it's up to 588 as of this moment!). Jump in and enjoy!!
www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.ht...
I can't imagine the work that's gone into this labor of love!
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
Funny you mention, I just got myself all caught up on this yesterday. Great comic!

Also mustn't forget its (for my money, more funny) inspiration: 'DM of the Rings'

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

I really like both but I found DM of the Rings got monontonous after a while.
That's the first time I've seen the Phantom Menace and enjoyed it. Thanks for posting the link.
Rule 1: Cormac is ALWAYS right.
Ah, Darths and Droids... I remember when I first found it on the web a while back and I spent roughly 14 hours reading all of it. I make sure to check on it here and there to get a laugh when I`m not studying. Good webcomic.

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Nice site!
I have to admit that I liked Darths and Droids at first, but then quickly got bored of it. The jokes became stale and dull, and I certainly have no investment in the "real lives" of the players.

Order of the Stick is, to me, a far superior RPG-based webcomic. I know a lot of people dislike its move away from riffing on RPG cliches, but I feel the story and characters are strong enough to stand on their own. It also helps that it has a range of jokes, not just endless variations on "this movie is so stupid, it's like a bunch of PCs made it up". 
Josh Cheesman - journalist and Star Wars fan. Visit the YBtC Hall of Fame to see the winners of the Praxeum's regular You Build the Character competitions. Need roleplaying stats for a miniature you're using in your Star Wars game? Try the [Saga] Star Wars Miniatures RPG Stats thread. Check out the The Great Mess Hall Food Fight, the Star Wars thread that can't be derailed. Any and all discussions welcome! I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast.
Order of the Stick is, to me, a far superior RPG-based webcomic. I know a lot of people dislike its move away from riffing on RPG cliches, but I feel the story and characters are strong enough to stand on their own. It also helps that it has a range of jokes, not just endless variations on "this movie is so stupid, it's like a bunch of PCs made it up". 

My biggest complaint isn't the change in style, it's the horribly inconsistent updating. At one point this summer, he went more than a month without producing a new comic.

The writing is very good, and the art is phenomenal given the stick-figure style. But if you want me to consider you a professional -- if you want me to spend money on your books or t-shirts or other merchandise -- you need to show some reliability. Of the webcomics I have bookmarked, Order of the Stick is the only one that has a random update schedule. All of the others have set days, and most update at pretty reliable times of day.

Edit: To be fair, though, Darths and Droids is well in the category of hit-or-miss with me.

My biggest complaint isn't the change in style, it's the horribly inconsistent updating. At one point this summer, he went more than a month without producing a new comic.

The writing is very good, and the art is phenomenal given the stick-figure style. But if you want me to consider you a professional -- if you want me to spend money on your books or t-shirts or other merchandise -- you need to show some reliability. Of the webcomics I have bookmarked, Order of the Stick is the only one that has a random update schedule. All of the others have set days, and most update at pretty reliable times of day.

That I can agree with. There are times when it's so long since the last OotS update that I'm surprised when a new one shows up in my RSS reader. And I think the strips are more enjoyable if you do an archive binge, rather than getting them in dribs and drabs.
Josh Cheesman - journalist and Star Wars fan. Visit the YBtC Hall of Fame to see the winners of the Praxeum's regular You Build the Character competitions. Need roleplaying stats for a miniature you're using in your Star Wars game? Try the [Saga] Star Wars Miniatures RPG Stats thread. Check out the The Great Mess Hall Food Fight, the Star Wars thread that can't be derailed. Any and all discussions welcome! I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast.
Jar Jar, you're a genius

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
I still enjoy both Darths & Droids and OotS, but neither of them are as laugh out loud funny as they used to be. Both have taken on a rather serious tone.

As for OotS' schedule: he used to have a regular tri-weekly schedule, but then he suffered some serious health problems, which led to a somewhat irregular schedule which appears to have devolved into an entirely intermittent schedule. When I noticed he'd gone about a month without updating, I went looking for some kind of explanation, but I couldn't find anything. It seems like he's focusing more on the merchandising of the product than the product itself.

Makes me think of Homestar Runner. I used to be a big fan. I've got one of the original Trogdor shirts and a Cheat sticker on my car window. But when they started making a Wii game and stopped producing SB e-mails and other cartoons, I stopped going to their website, and I haven't gone back since really. I stopped reading ErfWorld when it spun off onto its own site as well. It's almost reached that point for me with OotS too.
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

That's why I lost a lot of my interest.  It went from being a fun parody based on roleplayer stereotypes, embodied by a fly-by-the-seat-of-his pants guy who's all about the rolls and a move-forward-with-caution guy who's all about the role, to metagame drama between players dealing with relationship and child-parent issues.  In other words, the strip is beginning to take itself too seriously and has lost its freshness.  When it comes to why I had interest in the strip to begin with, if I wanted drama I'd have gone and read a book.
I'm sorry, but a blackhole ate my Death Star. Check out my Eve of Destruction campaign page Check out my Eve of Destruction campaign wiki Check out pukunui's Absolute Dawn (DoD) campaign log
I get annoyed by the preachy 'this is how you GM a roleplaying game' blurbs at the bottom - I find them very condescending. The strip would be much for fun if I didn't read those bits, but I think I'm kinda OCD that way.

I get annoyed by the preachy 'this is how you GM a roleplaying game' blurbs at the bottom - I find them very condescending. The strip would be much for fun if I didn't read those bits, but I think I'm kinda OCD that way.

YMMV, I guess - they're usually light-heartedly ironic, often amusing, and occasionally insightful.

YMMV, I guess - they're usually light-heartedly ironic, often amusing, and occasionally insightful.

1. Usually

2. Rarely

3. Not that I have seen

But as you say, YMMV. Smile