Badge and/or title change request.

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm not sure what all the badges are on the forums, but I suddenly find myself desiring some for recognition of some of my contributions.

I'm a writer for Dragon, and I also helped organize the hybrid playtest back in the day. Does that qualify me for any badges? Scribe? Guide?

I heard there is a "Dragon Slayer" badge for those whose input lead to the change of a Dragon article. As a Dragon writer, I'd think I'd qualify (if it really exists).

Also, I received my Herder of Hybrid titles a while back for my aid with the Hybrid playtest, but I doubt anyone who sees it now knows what it's about. Would it be possible to have my title changed to "Dragon Author" or "Writer for Dragon" or something?
Do I get a dragon slayer badge then?
Can I get a "Troll" Icon. You know temp-banned more than 10 times in a year...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

Might I suggest "Divine Champion"?

IMO, all class handbook authors deserve some sort of official recognition. The sheer volume of work that goes into producing those things is phenomenal. It's people like you, LDB, Nausicaa, Litigation and the rest that keep me coming back to these forums, no matter how much certain other posters try to turn the place into a festering pit.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Might I suggest "Divine Champion"?

IMO, all class handbook authors deserve some sort of official recognition. The sheer volume of work that goes into producing those things is phenomenal. It's people like you, LDB, Nausicaa, Litigation and the rest that keep me coming back to these forums, no matter how much certain other posters try to turn the place into a festering pit.

I thought the internet in general is already a festering pit?

Some people say that about humanity or the world in general. I think it's just that sort of toxic cynicism that creates such "festering pits" and allows them to remain so. We can do better.

Some people say that about humanity or the world in general. I think it's just that sort of toxic cynicism that creates such "festering pits" and allows them to remain so. We can do better.

I hold both attitudes, that it's a cess pit, and that we can do better.  It's officially led to me being the clasical definition of insane (doing the same thing, expecting different results.)  Every thread I think to myself "maybe this will be the one that's different and stays civil."  Sadly, it never is.
Yes, the latest book/release that you don't like is a blatant attempt by Wizards of the Coast to make money off the fanbase. They all are. That's kinda the point of the Free Enterprise system, companies are in it to make money...
Show
69889855 wrote:
You can't! I tried... and the next night masked men came into my house and beat me until I burned up my ranger character sheet and rolled a scout. They told me... if I ever thought of making a non-essential character that they would kill mitsy..... OH GOD THEY ARE COMING BACK AND ARE FORCING ME TO BUY HEROES OF SHADOWS! SOMEONE STOP THEM PLEASE!
58321818 wrote:
Your DM is your friend. He's not trying to screw with you, or dick you around. Play your character how your character would act. Accept that your character won't always be able to do what he's best at, but also know that as a goddamn HERO, he's gonna try to do his best at what he can do. Roleplay your goddamn character, make the decisions he would make, and roll appropriately. Everything will be fine.
57025236 wrote:
But filling a post with vitriol, hate-filled comments, like "these people should be fired", swearing at us or other ambiguous members of the company - there really is no reason for that. Please share your feedback respectfully, and consider how you would share your ideas if this were a face to face conversation between real people, not faceless names on a screen.
If you see me posting in a thread about editions or Essentials (that isn't simply a rules thread or similar) remind me that I'm trying to stay away from them. (My blood pressure will thank us both.)

I don't really see any trolls, though this thread has gotten off topic.
I don't really see any trolls, though this thread has gotten off topic.

The sad part is, no it really hasn't.

I just wanted to request a badge or title change. A lot of this is not about badges or titles.
i would think you deserve one for contributing to dragon.

and i dont think we should give out badges for people saying things that get them banned, even if you think it was undeserved.  
On topic, I'd like to throw my support in for the people that did the class handbooks.  Those take a lot of work and research to write, and are a huge help to the community.
Yes, the latest book/release that you don't like is a blatant attempt by Wizards of the Coast to make money off the fanbase. They all are. That's kinda the point of the Free Enterprise system, companies are in it to make money...
Show
69889855 wrote:
You can't! I tried... and the next night masked men came into my house and beat me until I burned up my ranger character sheet and rolled a scout. They told me... if I ever thought of making a non-essential character that they would kill mitsy..... OH GOD THEY ARE COMING BACK AND ARE FORCING ME TO BUY HEROES OF SHADOWS! SOMEONE STOP THEM PLEASE!
58321818 wrote:
Your DM is your friend. He's not trying to screw with you, or dick you around. Play your character how your character would act. Accept that your character won't always be able to do what he's best at, but also know that as a goddamn HERO, he's gonna try to do his best at what he can do. Roleplay your goddamn character, make the decisions he would make, and roll appropriately. Everything will be fine.
57025236 wrote:
But filling a post with vitriol, hate-filled comments, like "these people should be fired", swearing at us or other ambiguous members of the company - there really is no reason for that. Please share your feedback respectfully, and consider how you would share your ideas if this were a face to face conversation between real people, not faceless names on a screen.
If you see me posting in a thread about editions or Essentials (that isn't simply a rules thread or similar) remind me that I'm trying to stay away from them. (My blood pressure will thank us both.)
i would think you deserve one for contributing to dragon.

and i dont think we should give out badges for people saying things that get them banned, even if you think it was undeserved.  

Its not like that... people that see other people get banned for posting things are like "What?" when they see why. It has a lot more to do with inconsistency and autobanning people when someone reports their post...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I'd definitely like to see people get handbook badges too - there are several people who do a ton of work that I use on a regular basis. Those people really do deserve some community recognition, though its not like most of us who frequent CharOps don't already know who they are.

(And on a selfish note, i'd love to have a badge for my community compilations on Gamma World ;P)
What about introducing a mechanism whereby the community as a whole can nominate and vote for 'award badges' for individuals who have contributed in an exceptional manner?

Oooh ooh! Can I get something for having been published in both Dungeon and Dragon multiple times back when they were still actual magazines? (mostly joking about wanting a "badge", but not about the publication part)
Shemeska the Marauder, Freelancer 5 / Yugoloth 10
I wish i could have Adept of Sonnlinorr as a title since i really dig for Gadren's CD Article and Moradin's Sect. Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

im still waitinging for mudbunny's piranhamoose contest custom title to come through :P

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

That would be cool right up till people realize they can vote for themselves.

If each person only gets to vote once, that doesn't necessarily matter. Any nominations would have to be 'seconded' by several people, to stop anyone from just setting up a sockpuppet account to nominate their 'real' account. Or maybe only accounts that have existed for at least six months could be permitted to nominate anyone? There's lots of ways you could set up a fair and workable system.

Can I get a badge and title too?!?!?!?!
Since everybody seems to think they are entitiled to a meaningless pleasantry, I want one too!!!
ME!
ME!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
Back on topic, does anyone know where, or even if, there is a list of available badges and how each one is aquired?
There is a list of badges in tbe forum glossary in this very forum. No description of how to acquire them though.