Campaign Manager

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am a new DM, and after quite a bit of pondering I have finally come across a good start to a campaign.  I am currently looking for something to use which can keep track of my plot, characters, items, setting, all that jazz.  In short, I am searching for a Campaign Manager.  Does anyone know of any free ones that are easy to use for me (a newbie) and that are great quality?
This looked great, but when I opened it, it said that it wouldnt work.
By Takhisis!

i was looking for a plot manager type doo-hicky. and this is bloody amazing!!

Can we get a sticky here?! 
In order to become an official DM, you have to find one, challenge him to combat, kill him and take his books... -Mad_Jack GLimle:o7 Ffarqhuar:miss. b3
Obsidian Portal is a great campaign manager. It is essentially a wiki, which means you can have several pages connected back and forth with links (and several editors, including your players). This makes it really easy to edit. My favorite part is that it has a hidden DM section where you can put all your secrets for a particular page. It does a great job of keeping track of NPCs.

You can check out my campaign as an example (though I'm sure there are better examples out there):
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/aeon-zen
I usually create an adventure log post ahead of time with all the info I should remember for that session, and reference it while we are playing. The main wiki page has my whole campaign plot, but you can't see it because you are not the DM :p
Thanks! I happened upon it while scrolling through my giant list of bookmarks, but I'd love to take a look at what you got and see what I should do to help make my first campaign better.
May I recommend a note pad, maybe spiral bound?
This looked great, but when I opened it, it said that it wouldnt work.

Do you have the .net framework installed?
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
This is the absolute best combat manager I have found:  wiki.rpg.net/index.php/DnD4eCM.  There's a facebook page where you can even make suggested improvements.  The link is in the above page.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/

+1. Been using Masterplan for years now.
If Masterplan doesn't work or you don't care for the interface, Evernote is pretty handy for managing a campaign. I've been using it for a few months on my campaign. Evernote is appealing since I can work on my campaign from pretty much anywhere and have things synced up.
This is the absolute best combat manager I have found:  wiki.rpg.net/index.php/DnD4eCM.  There's a facebook page where you can even make suggested improvements.  The link is in the above page.

This is an incredible bit of software that I have been using for about a year now, which gets better with every new release. Couldn't manage without it (especially in the bigger, more complex battles).
(My campaigns log blog) http://sefotron.blogspot.com/ I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I use it at my table top games on my laptop.  I also use in my PbP games I'm running.

As with all programs, there's some bugs here and there, but right now, it is a pretty stable release.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

I use Evernote and Masterplan.  Masterplan's only real fault (to me) was the ability to control print outs for use at the table.  When my group was using a projector for maps, etc. that wasn't a problem - but when I stopped...

Evernote on the other hand is great - particularly, as has been noted, that you can work on it anywhere there is an internet connection.  Heck, it's even got an iPhone App so you can view your notes that way!

Masterplan, mostly. And notes in a spiralbound notepad. And some information in my head. Quite messy, I know, even how I gave one of the players an artifact was lost... 
Get your Microsoft Word Monster Statistics Block Template here! My Campaign

Evernote on the other hand is great - particularly, as has been noted, that you can work on it anywhere there is an internet connection.  Heck, it's even got an iPhone App so you can view your notes that way!

I typed all of my notes for an upcoming game session on my phone during lunch. Having all of my notes available for access, edit, or creation on my phone simply rocks. I always have my phone. I don't always carry a pen/pencil and a scrap of paper to later lose anyway. All those cool things I thought of at lunch or waiting on a line, don't get forgotten as much anymore.
Sign In to post comments