More DL 4e ideas!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so I was thinking again about how to translate DL into 4e.

First, Mage colours and Knight orders could be done as themes, is the biggest thing.

Bloodline feats for the races. Elves and dwarves get sub-type bloodlines. Kender Minotaurs and Gnomes get bloodlines to make them feel right for the setting, etc.

any other thoughts?

Ways to make riding dragons with special lances cool and mechanically effective?
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I tend to "think simple" when tackling a conversion. For example, since I only have the first three core books, I went with this:
1- Knights of Solamnia are either Fighters (Crown), Paladins (Sword) or Warlords (Rose).
2- Wizards of High Sorcery are simply Wizards. The Orders are simply fluff, and reflected in the alignments and choice of spells.
3- All elves are represented by the Elf race. Eladrins are too fey-ish, and I use them for Taladas (Hulderfolk)

I also have the Dark Sun campaign guide, so taking that as a guideline, subraces might be defined by racial backgrounds. For example, Silvanesti might have History and Arcana, whereas Qualinesti might have Diplomacy and Nature, and Kagonesti Nature and Endurance.

I would use something like the racial variants in the new Neverwinter Campaign Guide for the elves.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I would use something like the racial variants in the new Neverwinter Campaign Guide for the elves.

I looked at the excerpt and it looks definitely interesting, but it's still lot of work.
Perhaps it's because I am used to how AD&D 1e worked, but I think more or less everything could be "fit" into core if it was born under D&D.
Now, with 4e some things might need to be (or indeed, MUST be) reimagined; so in the case of Dragonlance: it started with a simple module which introduced practically zero modifications to the core AD&D rules (namely: giving halfling two special abilities) so I think the same could be done with 4e. And if it works with just the core books, all the better (personally, I am not going to use anything beyond PHB, DMG and MM.)
I'm not sure how it's a lot of work, honestly. You come up with a few variant racial features for elves and dwarves, and maybe something similar for gnomes and halflings to make them feel closer to their DL counterparts.

And I really think that making the orders and such be purely fluff choices misses out on huge opportunities. Especially with the more general utillity of the new style of themes coming out.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Sign In to post comments