Demand Print on Demand of 1st and 2nd edition books

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
White Wolf has seen a lot of success allowing people to buy the old, no longer supported edition of their flagship product, Vampire. With all of the fans out there buying retroclones, downloading illegal PDFs of the old books, or buying 1st edition books on Ebay, why not get in on the action and offer print on deman of the old material. If you really wanted to get money from the grognards who don't like the direction of the new edition, forget essentials, allow people to also buy the old stuff.
White Wolf has seen a lot of success allowing people to buy the old, no longer supported edition of their flagship product, Vampire. With all of the fans out there buying retroclones, downloading illegal PDFs of the old books, or buying 1st edition books on Ebay, why not get in on the action and offer print on deman of the old material. If you really wanted to get money from the grognards who don't like the direction of the new edition, forget essentials, allow people to also buy the old stuff.

I don't consider myself a grognards (not even sure what the hell that is, but if I was one Im sure I would have been called it before now), but I do support the idea.  It would great if they could print 2nd edition books... those would sell like hot cakes given the insane traffik on Ebay. I have been outbid on the Players Handbook for 2nd edition more times than I can count!

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

Oh please, you're talking about WoTC here - a company that can't (won't) figure out how to sell a PDF.  In mid-2011.
You really expect them to see the advantage of Print On Demand? 

Eh, doesn't sound like a bad idea. If those people are going to spend money on something besides 4e anyway then sell them something. OTOH most producers of products are pretty leery of cannibalizing sales of the newest and shiniest product. That might inhibit them some. The other question would be rights. You might think WotC can simply reprint old books, and maybe to a large extent they can, but that isn't always true. Artwork for instance can prove to be problematic. That could be especially true when going from a print medium to a digital medium as license agreements and such made decades ago might or might not be sufficient to cover different media. I know, TSR did release a lot of old material on CD back in the day. That doesn't mean it was entirely clear what rights they could clear, just that they didn't concern themselves with it too much or it was easy enough to work out. It might be a lot harder today as artists are more aware of the issue, rights may be harder to acquire as people have died and scattered to the 4 winds, old contracts may not even exist anymore so people may not even be sure what some of those deals were or be able to prove what they do and don't own.

So It might be a bit more involved than just opening some web store somewhere. If the trouble they have to go to is sufficient then they might not even be sure they WILL make a profit doing it. They might simply figure whatever tiny audience there is for that stuff is not sufficient to warrant the work and cannibalization of 4e sales would nullify any small income it did make. Remember, there are a LOT of retro-clones out there. Not only would a reprint have to compete with those, it really isn't clear to me that the whole retro-gaming community is really all that large. Retro-clones seem to rarely be anything like successful moneymakers and a similar nostalgia product might only sell a few 100 copies.

Of course maybe it isn't that expensive and someday it will happen. Who knows? POD is certainly an interesting technology and it could breath new life into some old products.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Just my humble opinion, but I think that they are really traumatized by the OGL split of their base that left with Pathfinder (essentially their own game they gave away).  I believe that they fear more people "re-discovering" those old editions and deciding they want to play those instead of 4th.  Not saying it's right or even logical (or rational), but I think its a decision that comes from very high up the chain to keep people focused on the new stuff.
That may be true but if they go with a POD option WOTC will profit from people playing older editions of the game. WOTC also get the benefit of appearing to support ALL forms of D&D. The people we see at WOTC vocally support all editions which is cool but sometimes the actions of the company (more than likely as directed by Hasbro) create the impression they do not.

POD is an elegant win-win scenario for all involved. Make money on old products and support all fans of D&D, no matter what flavor they prefer.
That may be true but if they go with a POD option WOTC will profit from people playing older editions of the game. WOTC also get the benefit of appearing to support ALL forms of D&D. The people we see at WOTC vocally support all editions which is cool but sometimes the actions of the company (more than likely as directed by Hasbro) create the impression they do not.

POD is an elegant win-win scenario for all involved. Make money on old products and support all fans of D&D, no matter what flavor they prefer.

I personally love the sound of that and agree with you whole heartedly.  D&D should be the product Wizards sells, hell personally I think they should branch out and make some small departments that continue to put our 2nd and 3rd edition products.  That would be awsome.

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

If they did a POD for the Basic D&D Rules Cyclopedia and Mystara books, I'd be on that in a second. Maybe faster.
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
I recently (ok, maybe a year ago) picked up the 2e PHB, DMG, and Monstrous Compendium at a used book store.  They were the originals, with the colorful covers (not the revised black and red Skills & powers books (fair to call that D&D 2.5?))  They looked like they could have just come from the warehouse, probably never opened by their previous owner.

So they're out there, and you could get lucky finding one.  But there are other options - the OSRIC system is a free pdf that duplicates (with a couple small changes) 1e D&D.  Good for nostalgia without forking out any money.

No arguments here, I think it's a real missed opportunity to not support the other editions (and the players that love them).

I recently (ok, maybe a year ago) picked up the 2e PHB, DMG, and Monstrous Compendium at a used book store.  They were the originals, with the colorful covers (not the revised black and red Skills & powers books (fair to call that D&D 2.5?))  They looked like they could have just come from the warehouse, probably never opened by their previous owner.

So they're out there, and you could get lucky finding one.  But there are other options - the OSRIC system is a free pdf that duplicates (with a couple small changes) 1e D&D.  Good for nostalgia without forking out any money.

That's how I got mine too.  Currently my FLGS has a stockpile of 1e and 2e stuff.

Seems likes a bad idea. Does D&D really need to compete against itself (moreso? Pathfinder and all)? Besides, does Wizards even have the rights to print TSR material?
does Wizards even have the rights to print TSR material?

They absolutely do, which is why they offered up old school TSR PDFs during that time in which they were offereing PDFs for sale at all.

As for offering print on demand... unless we were going to accept copies of the book that look like trash (which I wouldn't, personally) then someone would have to remaster all the TSR books that would be offered as print on demand - and that takes time and effort on a pretty large scale. This being true because WotC only has the digital copies of TSR books because the library was scanned years ago... and those, even when spruced up a bit, look terrible when printed.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

The problem with PDFs is the specter of piracy. Back when WotC stopped selling PDFs altogether, they did announce that WotC produced PDFs were being pirated. Pirated PDFs for D&D continue to migrate around the internet.
...whatever
The problem with PDFs is the specter of piracy. Back when WotC stopped selling PDFs altogether, they did announce that WotC produced PDFs were being pirated. Pirated PDFs for D&D continue to migrate around the internet.

The topic is Print on Demand, not PDFs.

I'm all for it.  I miss my Birthright and Hollow World sets.  

Celebrate our differences.

I know plenty of people who would kill for some PoDs of old D&D books. Personally, HackMaster 4e is as close as I want to get to classic D&D so I have no interest in D&D PoDs but they'd make great Christmas gifts for our Goddaughter's grandpa (the ONLY GM under whom I'll play pre-4e D&D).

Speaking generally on PoDs: Steve Jackson has moved GURPS almost exclusively to PDF and PoD and only makes a print run if the book is already selling well. It seems to be working for him.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

Print on Demand has gotten so cheap that its nearly a better deal than regular printing. This is of course if you count in things like the cost of storing regular print runs in warehouses if they don't sell, or the cost of returns from bookstores that don't sell the books. I mean when you see a paperback novel nowadays its what, $7.25. At that price you can use Print on Demand with slightly smaller profit on each book than a regular print run, but you make the money back by avoiding warehouse fees and returns...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

The topic is Print on Demand, not PDFs.

I'm all for it.  I miss my Birthright and Hollow World sets.  

Print on demand is going to involve easily accessible PDFs(or some other format) on some level.

That being said, I think print on demand is a stopgap industry. I'm more curious to see D&D deal with the emergence of Kindle and the like. I think PDFs and PoD have a small but vocal following that WotC can afford to ignore. I'm not so sure they'll be able to ignore Kindle/iPad/ect.
...whatever
Print on demand is going to involve easily accessible PDFs(or some other format) on some level.

No it won't.  The PoD company has access to the required files, just as a publisher woud have access to the files, and they print them when they get an order and ship the book to the customer.  

No it won't.  The PoD company has access to the required files, just as a publisher woud have access to the files, and they print them when they get an order and ship the book to the customer.  

PDFs sent to the companies that printed hardcover 4E books have been leaked in the past. I can't imagine PoD companies having better security.
...whatever

PDFs sent to the companies that printed hardcover 4E books have been leaked in the past. I can't imagine PoD companies having better security.

Regardless, that is still far more 'secure' than having PDFS out there.

Personally, I'd rather have PDFs back, but if they won't do that PoD seems an acceptable compromise. 

No more or less secure than sending it to a typical publishing company and them storing the file locally.  PoD companies have privacy policies and standards that they adhere to just as a publishing company would.  And there is a reason why PoD is gaining in popularity.  If it was unsecure, this would be a major detriment to the credibility of the service.

"Leaking" a file is a personnel/employee issue, not a system issue. It could just as likely happen in Wizards' own house as out of it.

Regardless...  debating this is useless, and I am sure you will have some counterpoint anyhow, per usual.

I'm all for a print on demand service! As long as the binding on 1E Unearthed Arcana is better than what we got the first time around. Tongue out
i would buy stuff i dont already have, id love a reprint of the long form temple of elemental evil w village of hommlet

im kind of surprised they dont already have this availible
I'm all for a print on demand service! As long as the binding on 1E Unearthed Arcana is better than what we got the first time around. Tongue out

What?  Don't want the true 1e experience?

Oh please, you're talking about WoTC here - a company that can't (won't) figure out how to sell a PDF.  In mid-2011.

So freaking true. The future is PDF or some other online/web based form. It's 2011, not 2001.

No more or less secure than sending it to a typical publishing company and them storing the file locally.  PoD companies have privacy policies and standards that they adhere to just as a publishing company would.  And there is a reason why PoD is gaining in popularity.  If it was unsecure, this would be a major detriment to the credibility of the service.

"Leaking" a file is a personnel/employee issue, not a system issue. It could just as likely happen in Wizards' own house as out of it.

Regardless...  debating this is useless, and I am sure you will have some counterpoint anyhow, per usual.

Hopeless, isn't it?

So they're out there, and you could get lucky finding one. 

Yeah, I snagged the entire Dark Sun line at my local game store prior to the 4th edition being released. Still shrink wrapped, and cover price in 1990 dollars.  Pretty awesome paying 10- 14 bucks each for a bunch of boxed sets/source books.

While POD would earn them some money on that old material thats currently just sitting there earning them no money, I cant imagine it being enough to placate their corporate overlords.

There still isnt any risk for WOTC. All that stuff is already out there in PDF form, and readily accessible.
I still think that Kindle, iPads, and the like are more the future than Print on Demand. While a market exists for Print on Demand, I think it's small enough to ignore for the time being, and it will be the rise of Kindle and the like that WotC will eventually have to deal with.
...whatever
I'm still sad I can't get 4E stuff on my kindle.  My pile is now officially too big too bring all of it for gaming night.

How would they do the old binder monster manuals for 2nd edition?

Also they could do POD for things like 4E's adventurers vault and for others that go out of print.

How does POD work for all the things like the glossy color artwork?  Most POD stuff I have seen has been boring black and white text.

How would they do the old binder monster manuals for 2nd edition?

During the run of 2e they realized that while the binders were a nifty idea, they ended up being a hassle in actual use.  So they started releasing their supplements in actual bound form, and re-released a bunch of the original supplements/monster manuals in compiled/bound form with new artwork.

During the run of 2e they realized that while the binders were a nifty idea, they ended up being a hassle in actual use.

Boy, were they.  I thought it was an awesome idea, until it was actually implemented and some of the pages tore out.  Oh, and up to the point where nothing alphabetized properly because of the double-sided printing.

The 2e Monstrous Manual was a godsend, and introduced many of us to DiTerlizzi.

-O

Last week I used to think that Print on Demand was a really really good idea.

And then this week I moved house.....
Now I just think it is a good idea (until I can get a PDF copy).

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
During the run of 2e they realized that while the binders were a nifty idea, they ended up being a hassle in actual use.

Boy, were they.  I thought it was an awesome idea, until it was actually implemented and some of the pages tore out.  Oh, and up to the point where nothing alphabetized properly because of the double-sided printing.

The 2e Monstrous Manual was a godsend, and introduced many of us to DiTerlizzi.

-O

LOVE DiTerlizzi!

I still support him. Purchased the entire Spiderwick Chronicles, G is for One Gzonk, Kenny & the Dragon, and hopped right on the Search for WondLa bandwagon! (Which is actually an exceedingly good read; making him a full-fledged author AND artist. Already has a movie deal!)

Danny

PDFs have nothing to do with print on demand. Print on demand does not have the same piracy considerations that PDFs do.

And on that note, WotC material being pirated has nothing to do with pdfs. WotC books (from every edition) could be found for download long before pdfs were sold, and ever WotC book sold since they stopped selling pdfs can also be found for download. Even the Compendium, which is supposed to be online only, has been pirated. If anything, print on demand (much like selling pdfs again) might even reduce piracy, since people would have the option to pay WotC for the material whereas currently the only choice for older edition stuff is to buy it used (no profit for WotC) or download a pirated pdf (no profit for WotC).
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

Last week I used to think that Print on Demand was a really really good idea.

And then this week I moved house.....
Now I just think it is a good idea (until I can get a PDF copy).

haha i know that feeling

PDFs have nothing to do with print on demand. Print on demand does not have the same piracy considerations that PDFs do.

And on that note, WotC material being pirated has nothing to do with pdfs. WotC books (from every edition) could be found for download long before pdfs were sold, and ever WotC book sold since they stopped selling pdfs can also be found for download. Even the Compendium, which is supposed to be online only, has been pirated. If anything, print on demand (much like selling pdfs again) might even reduce piracy, since people would have the option to pay WotC for the material whereas currently the only choice for older edition stuff is to buy it used (no profit for WotC) or download a pirated pdf (no profit for WotC).

Exactly... WotC just has its head in the sand if it thinks they are even putting a tiny dent in the pirating of their books...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Stopping piracy is hopeless, whether WotC sells pdfs or not. I can, in 5 minutes grab pdfs of every 4e supplement, book, adventure, and magazine. I can even pirate the old character builder with fan made updates. It takes only one person to upload them for the whole internet to have them. I can also get pdfs of all the old books too.

But of course, pdfs are no where near as good as having the actual book in your hands, with the smell of a book. PDFs are a huge chore to read. You can't flip through them. You can't read them without zooming. You can't stick your fingers on its pages. You can't quickly scroll through them without it it taking many seconds to load. I'd love to buy the first edition books, just to have on my shelf.
Stopping piracy is hopeless, whether WotC sells pdfs or not. I can, in 5 minutes grab pdfs of every 4e supplement, book, adventure, and magazine. I can even pirate the old character builder with fan made updates. It takes only one person to upload them for the whole internet to have them. I can also get pdfs of all the old books too.

But of course, pdfs are no where near as good as having the actual book in your hands, with the smell of a book. PDFs are a huge chore to read. You can't flip through them. You can't read them without zooming. You can't stick your fingers on its pages. You can't quickly scroll through them without it it taking many seconds to load. I'd love to buy the first edition books, just to have on my shelf.

You need to upgrade your computer (or whatever you use to read your PDFs).

I agree though. There is a reason to have hardcover books and there is a reason to have PDFs. Neither of which is negated by 'piracy' and since WotC can't do a thing about piracy they might as well make some money off it. Heck if they were pro-active they'd make 'pirated' copies that they release into the wild that are missing huge chunks of the data, but still long enough to look like a legitimate PDF. They would quickly surge to the top of the pirate sites and would delay getting a full copy pirated PDF out there for about a month or two, which is about all they can ask for...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
This would really cool. Even selling the PDFs like before would be good.

I've heard that the problem wasn't users torrenting the pdfs; it was a website that was selling them without paying WotC its royalties. But I never trust hearsay so take that with a whole ocean of salt.

Regardless, I wholeheartedly agree that Wizards needs to get its head out of the sand and the join the rest of the industry and embrace ebooks. Some of the folks over on RPGnet are huge fans of games that aren't even available in dead-tree editions.

Even GURPS has gone mostly PDF and POD. Only the core books and books that sell particularly well in other formats are ever granted proper print runs. That reminds me: now that my wife is finally employed after fifteen miserable months, there are several GURPS PODs we've been wanting (especially Thaumatology and several titles in the Dungeon Fantasy line (aka "GURPS D&D")).

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.