Slayer:MC Monk?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
So at an early lvl, I was looking to see what I could do with a Slayer to up the damage, the best choice I saw was going MC Monk at lvl 4 for a cheesy 8dmg on my main target, 10 to anything adjacent 1/enc.

Now he's set up as a charging Slayer, with a Vanguard Spear, and nova intentions early, using the Flurry to add a bit more damage to try and finish things off.

My question is, is this guy a viable option for a long term run in a more optimized/challenging campaign?

Note: he is currently armor less and not completely equipped as it's just theoretical at this point.

[spoiler]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 11
Half-Orc, Slayer, Bloodfury Savage
Unbound Assault Option: Unbound Assault Strength

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 23, CON 12, DEX 19, INT 11, WIS 9, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 10

AC: 19 Fort: 23 Ref: 22 Will: 15
HP: 87 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +16, Endurance +13, Intimidate +12, Thievery +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +5, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History +5, Insight +4, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +5, Stealth +9, Streetwise +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Half-Orc Racial Power: Furious Assault
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault
Fighter Utility: Berserker's Charge
Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade
Monk Feature: Stone Fist Flurry of Blows
Fighter Utility 2: Single Out
Fighter Utility 2: Who's Next?
Fighter Utility 2: Battle Fury Stance
Bloodfury Savage Attack 11: Unbound Assault

FEATS
Level 1: Spear Expertise
Level 2: Powerful Charge
Level 4: Monastic Disciple
Level 6: Surprising Charge
Level 8: Superior Reflexes
Level 10: Cunning Stalker
Level 11: Impaling Spear

ITEMS
Vanguard Longspear +1
Horned Helm (heroic tier) x1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier) x1
Vanguard Longspear +2 x1
====== End ======
[spoiler]
It's not a bad MC, it gives you some nice additional skill options, and the flurry is nice to boost your spike damage now that power strike is no action. It also opens up a few handy monk feats and the option to power swap for your choice of monk utilities. Fluid Motion for +2 to speed in paragon is nice.
you would be well served to pickup rain of blows with the martial crosstraining feat, 3 attacks that deal all but your str mod can get pretty nuts 

IMO the monk is one of the best MC options there is you get ki focuses, which are usable by implement/weapon jugglers to roll it all into 1 expertise, you get flurry of blows and you get training in a monk skill, which ill burn for acrobatics or perception  
you would be well served to pickup rain of blows with the martial crosstraining feat, 3 attacks that deal all but your str mod can get pretty nuts 

IMO the monk is one of the best MC options there is you get ki focuses, which are usable by implement/weapon jugglers to roll it all into 1 expertise, you get flurry of blows and you get training in a monk skill, which ill burn for acrobatics or perception  

Yea, Im working strictly from the OCB so once the update hits I will pull in Rain of Blows which will really up my dmg output.
Martial Cross-Training is already in the character builder.  I put it on my slayer the other day.

Yea, Im working strictly from the OCB so once the update hits I will pull in Rain of Blows which will really up my dmg output.

For a charger (especially with surprising charge) I'd get Hydra Charge instead.

Also: look into using a gouge.  You get the charging goodness of a spear with the slayer's support for the axe, plus it does huge damage.
With Hydra Charge, am I considered to be making a charge attack against each of the targets, or just against the primary one? The reason I ask is obviously because I would need to know if it would trigger my Vanguard weapon and my Horned Helm and all my other 'I'm chargin my Slayer!' add ons.
With Hydra Charge, am I considered to be making a charge attack against each of the targets, or just against the primary one? The reason I ask is obviously because I would need to know if it would trigger my Vanguard weapon and my Horned Helm and all my other 'I'm chargin my Slayer!' add ons.

There is no primary target. It's a close burst.
Yes, it counts as a charge attack against each of the targets, and you thus get all the goodies, including horned helm, vanguard weapon, and surprising charge.  It's pretty wicked.
You can get the same bonuses on Rain of Blows with Boots of the Mighty Charge.
Yeah, Hydra Charge is cute, but it doesn't compare to the carnage that Rain of Blows spits out, especially with the Boots of the Mighty Charge. Also consider that Close Attacks don't get bonuses to damage only meant for Melee Attacks, such as Iron Armbands of Power.

As for MC Monk, you can make a case for it for a touch of extra damage/minion clearing. The fact that Flurry of Blows is a Free Action Attack is a bit annoying, though, especially if you're picking Trip Up with your Reserve Maneuver (which you should be - no real reason not to).
You can get the same bonuses on Rain of Blows with Boots of the Mighty Charge.

Sure, once per day.  Unless you want to convince your DM you should get four pairs of these boots so you can change your shoes after every encounter.

Yeah, Hydra Charge is cute, but it doesn't compare to the carnage that Rain of Blows spits out, especially with the Boots of the Mighty Charge.

Against a solo, yeah.  Char-Op's focus on single target damage is a bit myopic, in my opinion.  Yes, there's value in being able to KO a brute in round one by yourself, but if you can bring 3 said brutes to 50% in one round and let your controller and defender buddies finish all three of them off in that same round, you're ahead.

IMO, if you can't reliably find yourself a cluster of 3 enemies, then your defender/controller aren't very good at their jobs.

Also consider that Close Attacks don't get bonuses to damage only meant for Melee Attacks, such as Iron Armbands of Power.

Sure, but Rain of Blows loses str mod to damage, which Hydra Charge still has, so HC is still ahead.

And don't forget that Hydra Charge has soft control too, in the -2 to attacks it imposes.

Look, I'm not saying Rain of Blows isn't the stand-out damage powers for fighters, because it is, I'm just saying that for a charger (at least a charger that isn't a gnoll) is probably better off with Hydra Charge in actual gameplay.

As for MC Monk, you can make a case for it for a touch of extra damage/minion clearing. The fact that Flurry of Blows is a Free Action Attack is a bit annoying, though, especially if you're picking Trip Up with your Reserve Maneuver (which you should be - no real reason not to).

Except, you know, Hydra Charge.  But right, single target damage and all that, got it.
Your setup assumes you HAVE a Defender and/or Controller, which might or might not be true (it also assumes they know that going first is good for them, but let's assume competence here).

Secondly, a cluster of 3 enemies won't break you even with Rain of Blows - you'd need at least 4 guys to match impact of 3 single-target attacks by raw math, unless your aforementioned Defender is quite nova-oriented. Thirdly, it's not just Brutes you're threatening - feed that Rain of Blows enough and you might be gunning for Elites, which is more valuable than what Hydra Charge does, because it's something most other people just can't do.