Overpowering Will

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Divine Will |
Instant

Divine Will cannot be countered.

Until the end of the turn spells you cast cannot be countered.

"I do this for powers far greater than you or I!"

-----

Edit:
Changed the name, overpowering will sounded too "Blue" divine will sounds better for white.
Yes, divine will definitely sounds better. Also, for a cost reference, Autumn's Veil is . Of course yours is uncounterable (,and counts colors other than blue in countering, but that hardly matters). And Veil gives untagetability from blue&black to compensate. So basically a great card, but overpriced. I'd say tops for being slightly off color pie wise, but maybe that's just me.
Yes, divine will definitely sounds better. Also, for a cost reference, Autumn's Veil is . Of course yours is uncounterable (,and counts colors other than blue in countering, but that hardly matters). And Veil gives untagetability from blue&black to compensate. So basically a great card, but overpriced. I'd say tops for being slightly off color pie wise, but maybe that's just me.

Good idea, I think I shall use it.

Editing the card now.
This ability has been firmly established as red-green.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.

Eh... There have been plenty of powers that were once one color and were eventually spliced into another.

Artifact destruction for the longest time was the sole providence of White and Green, then it was ported into Red.

Tutor effects (hence named because of Demonic Tutor) were once the zone of Black and Black alone now it is pretty much in every color.
Artifact destruction for the longest time was the sole providence of White and Green, then it was ported into Red.

Um, Shatter.

Why do you think white needs anti-counterspelling?

Eh... There have been plenty of powers that were once one color and were eventually spliced into another.

Tutor effects (hence named because of Demonic Tutor) were once the zone of Black and Black alone now it is pretty much in every color.

The early days of Magic were filled with lots of off-color cards. That doesn't make them any more on-color; it just means that the game's designers didn't know exactly what they were doing. The colors are much better defined nowadays and while there is still room for bleeding, you have to have a good reason for doing it. This card seems to be white just for the hell of it.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.

The early days of Magic were filled with lots of off-color cards. That doesn't make them any more on-color; it just means that the game's designers didn't know exactly what they were doing. The colors are much better defined nowadays and while there is still room for bleeding, you have to have a good reason for doing it. This card seems to be white just for the hell of it.

Not just for the heck of it...

A lot of white spells (especially creatures) are very expensive (see: Angels) and because of both their cost (usually they are quite expensive and slow to cast unless there is some green tossed in) and the ease they are able to be dealt with via counter (Oh look you just tapped 2 white and 3 colorless? Nah. Mana Leak.) or destruction (Oh a 4/4 flier with vigilance? That cost you 5 mana? Ha! 1 swamp and one colorless can take care of that... Doomblade!) that they never see play.

This helps to deal with one of those problems by at least helping to ensure the casting of them.

While white weenie has always been competitive, the bigger white spells are almost always cast to the wayside. This could help with that.

White has always had ways to protect their creatures through instants, but they had nothing before to help the creatures actually get out.
The main problem with this that I see is adding uncounterability to the already vast suite of removal that white currently has. It can already prevent damage, give protection, destroy creatures, destroy lands, destroy artifacts and enchantments, undermine opponent's removal, undermine hand disruption, exile permanents, clean graveyards, and even wreck hands. Do we really need to add uncounterability to the list?

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

The main problem with this that I see is adding uncounterability to the already vast suite of removal that white currently has. It can already prevent damage, give protection, destroy creatures, destroy lands, destroy artifacts and enchantments, undermine opponent's removal, undermine hand disruption, exile permanents, clean graveyards, and even wreck hands. Do we really need to add uncounterability to the list?

Only if we look at a lot of older cards (as you did here) and while that could be a concern for Legacy most of those cards are out and have never been reprinted or have not been reprinted recently.
Among that list of cards only destroying lands is not likely to see print in white ever again. The rest of the general effects are still viable options to see on future card releases unless you can show me otherwise. If the door is opened to give white uncounterability, that effect could see print in the same set/environment as any given one of such white abilities.

Also, keeping eternal formats in mind when designing cards is not always a bad thing.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

Sign In to post comments